Coles to sign with Jets for a 3rd time

vinnys025

We didn't need him. JCO would have been just fine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5420050

A familiar face apparently is headed back to the New York Jets -- for the second time.

Free-agent wide receiver Laveranues Coles, who played with the Jets from 2000 to 2002 and 2005-08, will work out for team officials Friday at the team's headquarters in Florham Park, N.J., a league source told ESPNNewYork.com.

Barring complications, Coles is expected to sign with his former team. The Jets report to training camp Sunday in Cortland, N.Y.

With Santonio Holmes out the first four games due to a league suspension for violating the substance-abuse policy, the Jets are looking for insurance at wide receiver.

Coles would join Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith as the top four receivers for the first four games.

Coles left the Jets after the 2008 season, a mutual parting in which he agreed to waive his guaranteed salary in 2009. It was risky, but he wound up signing a four-year, $28 million deal with the Cincinnati Bengals.

At 32, Coles appears to have lost a step. He produced only 43 catches for 514 yards and five touchdowns last season with the Bengals. He's also had concussion issues in the past, but he could be a good fit with the Jets because they won't ask him to be an every-down player. He always was a popular player in the locker room, well-respected for his toughness and work ethic.

The decision to visit with Coles comes only two days after word leaked that the Jets had placed an exploratory phone call to Terrell Owens' agent. Owens wound up signing with the Bengals.

In 10 seasons, Coles has 674 catches for 8,609 yards and 49 touchdowns.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He signs a four year deal and plays only one year for the Bengals...why do we need him again? Cannot believe one of the younger WR's we have on the roster is not a better option.

Who? Clowney? Guys been in the league for like 5 years. Its not gonna happen...

Not specifically Clowney...but, he seems to have found his niche in Africa. Coles has lost a couple of steps and he's injury prone...I just don't get it.

If he doesn't work out we can just cut him, and he knows it. I remember reading something last night where he said he knows he has to perform in weeks 1-4 or he'll be cut. And he was fine with that. I forget where I saw that, I'll try to find the article.

Not specifically Clowney...but, he seems to have found his niche in Africa. Coles has lost a couple of steps and he's injury prone...I just don't get it.

I like this move-you have to remember that the first quarter of the season we play all 3 of our division rivals if we lose two of those games we could be in a world of trouble. Also, even when you do get a player back like Holmes on October 11 it'll take him a couple of games (by his own admission mind you) to get in sync with the QB. So Coles is a great option and can really help this team until it starts getting cool out.

Are some of you honestly saying that our youth is better than Coles at this point? I'm all for being an optimist, but Coles is a PROVEN WR. Yes, he is old and slowing down, but as a #4 WR, he could help us out A LOT. LOVE the signing!

That's what people were saying about Miles Austin last offseason.

There were an awful lot of times he was inactive as well. Some of that is on him, but it's tough to make an impression when you aren't eligible to play... My point being is that it's not like he was given a bunch of reps and was just a no-show. i.e Brad Smith as a WR.

I'm fine with the Coles signing. Coles as a #1 or #2 is awful but he's being slotted to play #3 for the first 4 and #4 for the rest of the season and if he's really finished he's cut. No cap hit and he signed on the cheap.

I'm sorry and like him as much as I do for what he does with his charitable works but David Clowney will never be half the receiver that Miles Austin is. Clowney will make the team as a gunner, taking over Wallace Wright's slot and may even still get a ball or two thrown his way each game but the kid just doesn't seem to have 'it'. Coles would have caught that ball in Indianapolis that sealed the game for the Colts.

JetNation: The only place where David Clowney gets compared to Miles Austin. I missed this place the last two days.

JBro is more likely right than wrong, but before last season the Jets contemplated burning a high pick and very big contract on Austin. At the time he had 18 catches for 354 yards in 3 seasons in the NFL.

JBro is more likely right than wrong, but before last season the Jets contemplated burning a high pick and very big contract on Austin. At the time he had 18 catches for 354 yards in 3 seasons in the NFL.

True, but combine the fact that Clowney only has 15 catches for 217 yards and 1 TD with the fact that he isn't as big or fast as Austin and the comparison just doesn't line up. Clowney isn't good at route-running, has mediocre hands and just doesn't show ANY signs of a breakout season. I hope he proves me wrong.

True, but combine the fact that Clowney only has 15 catches for 217 yards and 1 TD with the fact that he isn't as big or fast as Austin and the comparison just doesn't line up. Clowney isn't good at route-running, has mediocre hands and just doesn't show ANY signs of a breakout season. I hope he proves me wrong.

I have never seen any signs of Clowney having anything but excellent hands and ran 4.37 at the combine. I don't think Austin is any faster - he supposedly ran a 4.29 at Rutgers pro day, but those are usually hand timed and pro day times are often MUCH faster than the combine. In all honesty, IMO, the biggest thing pointing to a lack of breakout ability for Clowney is that the team keeps stockpiling vet WRs.

I have never seen any signs of Clowney having anything but excellent hands and ran 4.37 at the combine. I don't think Austin is any faster - he supposedly ran a 4.29 at Rutgers pro day, but those are usually hand timed and pro day times are often MUCH faster than the combine. In all honesty, IMO, the biggest thing pointing to a lack of breakout ability for Clowney is that the team keeps stockpiling vet WRs.

or maybe, just maybe the guys running the Jets now know more about what a player can and can't do than we here on the internets

Still trying to figure this one out- guy comes to play every day though

After all the sh*t he talked about the Jets after they let his fudge packin butt buddy Chad go (who btw gave him all those concussions). they bring him back? lol..just lol

I'm indifferent. I dont really get why you would sign him...its not like we dont already have 3 #1 caliber WR's and a great pass catch TE. I'd prefer developing a younger WR who might be able to replace Edwards or Holmes since we are not resigning both.

I don't mind so long as he leaves his mope tendencies at the door when he comes. All those years with puss arm taught him how to fight for a football as good as anybody - maybe he can share that with some of the younger lads.

I'm indifferent. I dont really get why you would sign him...its not like we dont already have 3 #1 caliber WR's and a great pass catch TE. I'd prefer developing a younger WR who might be able to replace Edwards or Holmes since we are not resigning both.

But who would BE that young receiver JiF? Clowney? Allison? Britt Davis? Woodhead? None of those guys CAN help you win a football game-Coles has proven time and again that he CAN-even as a rookie he did it...I'm all for this move and could care less about what happened in the past with him. Good signing (if it happens) IMO

I think this is an excellent move and his presence will only help cohesiveness in the locker room with future contracts unresolved for Mangold, Harris, Revis, Cromartie, Holmes, and Edwards. Laveranues Coles is bound to be a calming influence and is sure to paint the Jets FO in the most positive light imaginable. A bunch of guys whose future deals are in question and they bring in the guy who could never go 2 consecutive years without wanting his signed contract addressed and readdressed both in the locker room and in the media. Very shrewd.

I think this is an excellent move and his presence will only help cohesiveness in the locker room with future contracts unresolved for Mangold, Harris, Revis, Cromartie, Holmes, and Edwards. Laveranues Coles is bound to be a calming influence and is sure to paint the Jets FO in the most positive light imaginable. A bunch of guys whose future deals are in question and they bring in the guy who could never go 2 consecutive years without wanting his signed contract addressed and readdressed both in the locker room and in the media. Very shrewd.

I see what you did there...

We're trying to win football games in 2010. I could care less about the contract issues once the season starts. If, in weeks 1-4, Braylon or Cotch gets hurt, who do you trust as the # 2 receiver? Brad Smith? Aundrae Allison? David Clowney?

Coles may not have much left in the tank, but he's better than those bums. If you want something to be upset about, it should be that the front office neglected to draft any young receivers recently, not for making this move.

One thing about Coles whining, he is one guy that admits the Jets did what he asked. There were a string of guys that cried that the Jets made promises they wouldn't keep, including Kendall and Baker. Coles said the Jets promised to guarantee his money and they did and that they would let him find a better offer and they did. He always cried about being underpaid, but he got what he claimed the team promised him.

Not a bad move imo. He knows the offense, thats why he is better then ne of the younger guys. It's most likely for 5 weeks, once Holmes is back we will see less from Coles if at all.

i welcome this move.although he has lost a step or 2,he is one of the grittiest and toughest wide receivers to play the game.he will be above and beyond anything the jets have at the #3(first 4 games)and #4 receiver position.he was still a productive receiver for the bengals,but wasnt worth near the coin they were paying him.thats why they cut him.coles also is a pretty damn good run blocker and will will bring that savy,veteran presence.fearless but injury prone.at #3 or #4,his reps should be limited and hopefully stays healthy

One thing about Coles whining, he is one guy that admits the Jets did what he asked. There were a string of guys that cried that the Jets made promises they wouldn't keep, including Kendall and Baker. Coles said the Jets promised to guarantee his money and they did and that they would let him find a better offer and they did. He always cried about being underpaid, but he got what he claimed the team promised him.

Venerable veteran wide receiver
Laveranues
Coles
––who played through a concussion and high ankle sprain despite the team’s rudderless season last year––flat-out called the front office liars during dilatory negotiations for the new contract
Coles
says he was
promised
. The two sides finally agreed to a deal in March.

Archived