slats

59 members have voted

1. 1. What happens with Joe McKnight?

• He makes the final roster
    • He's cut and picked up by another team
    • He's cut and added to the practice squad
    • He's cut and out of the NFL
    • He's mysteriously placed on the IR

RB is the type of position that players can make an immediate impact, yes even as rookies, so no excuse for this kid. Players dont grow balls overnight. You breath on this kid and he falls to the ground. That along with conditioning issues and mental issues (learning the play book)are not good signs

schottenheimer's playbook is said to be very complex. i believe one of the reasons why shonn greene didn't play until the later part of his rookie season was because he didn't know it cold.

and the practice squad isn't an option, he'll get picked up right away

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

def agree on the first part. i thought about that ir possibility which bitoni keeps mentioning but i don't see it happening. why would mcknight agree to that? he'd probably ask for his release, in which case he'd be picked up by another team in a heartbeat.

He went in the 4th round while possessing first round caliber speed for a reason. Like I said, can you teach "BALLS" and "TOUGHNESS" ? nope. See Vernone Gholston for details

He's not even close to a replcement for Leon so do we keep him for a # ? Hes a 4th rounder so we must keep him even though he sucks a$$ ?

Watching his college Vids shows you touch him and down he goes. He does not hit holes hard and hes a dumb a$$. Sorry but this kid does not seem to have it mentally meaning mental toughness and smarts.

schottenheimer's playbook is said to be very complex. i believe one of the reasons why shonn greene didn't play until the later part of his rookie season was because he didn't know it cold.

and the practice squad isn't an option, he'll get picked up right away

Hey I agree with you here. This is probably the biggest reason why talented RB's dont crack the lineup right away. But you still see the talent, the vision, the strength needed for them to succeed, these are natural abilities that cant be taught. Do you see anything with Mcknight ? Sure he can run in open space, he has speed, but hes a wuss and you cant be a wuss at RB

No matter how much he may have struggled, if you see enough in a guy to use a fourth round pick on him, you simply don't give up on him this quickly. It's not like he's the first guy in the world to have a rough start. Worst case scenario he's "hurt" near the end of camp and ends up on IR.

I agree with you. Some here apparently forgot that Leon did not do so great at first either. Rookies tend to think rather then react. The answer is YES! He will be on the team and God forbid he should ever fumble a ball, the anti-McKnight crowd is going to have a field day. :D By the way, Shonn Greene did not look too great in preseason last year either.

I agree with you. Some here apparently forgot that Leon did not do so great at first either. Rookies tend to think rather then react. The answer is YES! He will be on the team and God forbid he should ever fumble a ball, the anti-McKnight crowd is going to have a field day. :D By the way, Shonn Greene did not look too great in preseason last year either.

Leon opened alot of eyes right off the bat so Im not sure what you mean here. Shonn Greene did as well but got hurt. With both players it was obvious the toughness was there, let me know when you see that toughness in Joe Mcknight.

I dont like this kid but I can see him making the team.

Was he supposed to return kicks as well ? Because Larry Taylor has some serious burst which is something you look for in a kick returner along with fearlessness and no hesitation. If Larry Taylor makes the team as our KO returner Mcknight will have a hard time sticking. For the type of team we are I would rather keep 2 FB's and keep them fresh.

That being said Brad Smith will probably be our KO returner. Lots of decisions to be made.

He went in the 4th round while possessing first round caliber speed for a reason. Like I said, can you teach "BALLS" and "TOUGHNESS" ? nope. See Vernone Gholston for details

He's not even close to a replcement for Leon so do we keep him for a # ? Hes a 4th rounder so we must keep him even though he sucks a$$ ?

Watching his college Vids shows you touch him and down he goes. He does not hit holes hard and hes a dumb a$$. Sorry but this kid does not seem to have it mentally meaning mental toughness and smarts.

This is a load of bullsh*t. I watched the kid's college highlights and he certainly doesn't go down when you touch him. Did you expect him to have Earl Campbell's highlight reel? He is a speed back and he isn't going to outrun everybody in the NFL. It will take some time to adjust. Acting like the kid is a must cut because of 1 preseason games and some stupid articles about him throwing up is beyond premature.

This is a load of bullsh*t. I watched the kid's college highlights and he certainly doesn't go down when you touch him. Did you expect him to have Earl Campbell's highlight reel? He is a speed back and he isn't going to outrun everybody in the NFL. It will take some time to adjust. Acting like the kid is a must cut because of 1 preseason games and some stupid articles about him throwing up is beyond premature.

Again, it's not so much his play...I just don't like the "blank stare" type of attitude when he's being coached up. It's not him tossing his cookies either...

Thinking I would compare him to Earl Campbells style of running or even bringing up comparisions like that is a load of bullsh*t, AND NO ONE said he was a must cut . I made my Observations based on films and what hes been doing in camp. What alot of people have been writing and also What the coaches themselves were saying to him on Hardknocks sort of justifies it all. Maybe JM and VG can do drills together in the Pussy section of Training Camp.

Thinking I would compare him to Earl Campbells style of running or even bringing up comparisions like that is a load of bullsh*t, AND NO ONE said he was a must cut . I made my Observations based on films and what hes been doing in camp. What alot of people have been writing and also What the coaches themselves were saying to him on Hardknocks sort of justifies it all. Maybe JM and VG can do drills together in the Pussy section of Training Camp.

If you think the kid is a pussy from his attitude fine, if you think it from watching his highlights you are blind. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is what I expected from Hard Knocks.

If you think the kid is a pussy from his attitude fine, if you think it from watching his highlights you are blind. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is what I expected from Hard Knocks.

Its not just talking about hard knocks. I have had this feeling about 2 players in the last few years on the Jets. One is Vernon Gholston the other is Joe Mcknight Funny thing is I based those feelings off of college highlights which are supposed to put those players in a positive light. I saw things with both players watching games as well, more so with Gholston who liked to dissapear for entire halves of football.

Lets see what happens in the next preseason games if they make this kid return some kicks. If he hits the holes with burst and speed Ill be impressed. If he starts dancing that will bea tell tale sign. Lets see what happens.

You bring up Hard Knocks which is what I'm gauging his attitude from. I guarantee you if this kid was lighting it on Hard Knocks, you'd be using that for making your point. Hey, I'm just saying he hasn't showed me much...I could be wrong. The players I hit on early on in camp that I can remember is Pennington and Clemens and caught flack for that as well. Hopefully, McKnight doesn't it make three for three for me.

Its not just talking about hard knocks. I have had this feeling about 2 players in the last few years on the Jets. One is Vernon Gholston the other is Joe Mcknight Funny thing is I based those feelings off of college highlights which are supposed to put those players in a positive light. I saw things with both players watching games as well, more so with Gholston who liked to dissapear for entire halves of football.

Lets see what happens in the next preseason games if they make this kid return some kicks. If he hits the holes with burst and speed Ill be impressed. If he starts dancing that will bea tell tale sign. Lets see what happens.

If he starts dancing he will be doing what countless great NFL backs did as rookies before him. You got a feeling that the guy was a pussy based on highlights of a speed back. That's why I brought up Campbell. You can't expect to see a ton of video of him trucking people. There is some, but it's not his bread and butter. He weighs 205. You said he goes down on first contact, but I saw him break tackles Sunday and I wasn't even able to watch the game. He isn't likely to have an immediate impact as an RB because he is primarily a 3rd down back type. Catch the ball, change of pace. You didn't like Gholston, but having a pet name for him 3 years later doesn't make you a draft expert. You may be right about the kid, but everything you said could have been said about Reggie Bush in spades and he was a big part of winning the super bowl.

My Hard Knocks comment wasn't just meant for you, just as my "must cut" comment wasn't.

You bring up Hard Knocks which is what I'm gauging his attitude from. I guarantee you if this kid was lighting it on Hard Knocks, you'd be using that for making your point. Hey, I'm just saying he hasn't showed me much...I could be wrong. The players I hit on early on in camp that I can remember is Pennington and Clemens and caught flack for that as well. Hopefully, McKnight doesn't it make three for three for me.

I don't even have a point other than that this talk is premature. I like to drag things out. Just ask the ladies! It's a message board, so anything Jets is fair game, but some of the comments seem well beyond a gut feeling and it's way too early for that, especially when the guys he's competing with have probably done even less. It's the anyone is better syndrome.

If he starts dancing he will be doing what countless great NFL backs did as rookies before him. You got a feeling that the guy was a pussy based on highlights of a speed back. That's why I brought up Campbell. You can't expect to see a ton of video of him trucking people. There is some, but it's not his bread and butter. He weighs 205. You said he goes down on first contact, but I saw him break tackles Sunday and I wasn't even able to watch the game. He isn't likely to have an immediate impact as an RB because he is primarily a 3rd down back type. Catch the ball, change of pace. You didn't like Gholston, but having a pet name for him 3 years later doesn't make you a draft expert. You may be right about the kid, but everything you said could have been said about Reggie Bush in spades and he was a big part of winning the super bowl.

My Hard Knocks comment wasn't just meant for you, just as my "must cut" comment wasn't.

Some might think this crazy but I could not stand watching players like Barry Sanders in the 4th quarter. Sure he was an amazing talent but dancing around at times when you need positive yards to close out a game in the 4th was his biggest weak spot.I believe he has the most negative yard plays in NFL history. There was always the comparison between him and Emmitt Smith and while I felt Emmitt had the incredible O line alot of times when he didnt have holes he just pushed the pile and got positive yards, Sanders never did that and it was known he didnt. Even players like Blair Thomas who also had alot of talent never made it in the NFL because of dancing. Coaches want to see RB's hit the hole and get positive yards then the speed takes over once you break through.

This is my mindset on running backs Im sure alot of people will disagree and thats cool but I like RB's that help the team not themselves.

BTW I still think Earl Campbell is the greatest RB I have ever seen and the most talented being Walter Peyton by far.

Some might think this crazy but I could not stand watching players like Barry Sanders in the 4th quarter. Sure he was an amazing talent but dancing around at times when you need positive yards to close out a game in the 4th was his biggest weak spot.I believe he has the most negative yard plays in NFL history. There was always the comparison between him and Emmitt Smith and while I felt Emmitt had the incredible O line alot of times when he didnt have holes he just pushed the pile and got positive yards, Sanders never did that and it was known he didnt. Even players like Blair Thomas who also had alot of talent never made it in the NFL because of dancing. Coaches want to see RB's hit the hole and get positive yards then the speed takes over once you break through.

This is my mindset on running backs Im sure alot of people will disagree and thats cool but I like RB's that help the team not themselves.

BTW I still think Earl Campbell is the greatest RB I have ever seen and the most talented being Walter Peyton by far.

I don't like the dancing either. FWIW, I'm not a huge Barry Sanders fan either. Great talent, but there are several guys I would take over him, starting with Campbell and Payton. However, Smith is probably not one of them.

My first point is, they already have Greene who is a bruiser and Tomlinson who has as good a running style as anybody. T might be very close to the end of he road, but style-wise he is fine. McKnight is auditioning for change of pace back, not feature back. I can accept a little more dancing and lack of straight ahead from a non-feature back.

Secondly, many backs dance and are slow to hit the hole as they learn the NFL game. McNeil was like that at first. You can't pigeon hole McKnight after a few weeks of practice and one preseason game. NFL holes are smaller and don't last as long. Some guys take a little time to develop that vision and to trust their blockers. If he is still dancing next year I'll agree, but now? Too soon to tell. Some guys never progress and some are successful but still tend not to hit the hole hard. Remember, Thomas Jones wasn't called "the Dancing Bear" for nothing.

It's funny to mention Blair Thomas, because the way you feel about Gholston and McKnight I was vehemently sure he would be a sh*tty pro. I didn't like his style. I don't know how to describe it, but he seemed like he always had his weight over the foot on the ground, rather than even. I thought Richie Anderson was a better prospect when he came out. My hatred was compounded by the fact that the team already had McNeil and Hector. I wanted McCants or Kennedy, my Dad wanted Seau. Hell, I thought Hampton had a more pro ready style.

FWIW...once the Lions had Bobby Ross as their HC, Barry wasnt a dancer anymore. See- Jets game 1997. They finally lined him up in the I formation and he was a pure downhill runner. Not coincidentally his only 2,000 yard season.

Barry was never a dancer at Ok St either.

Again, it's not so much his play...I just don't like the "blank stare" type of attitude when he's being coached up. It's not him tossing his cookies either...

I liked the kid when the Jets drafted him. I wasn’t at all concerned about the puke, or even the failing the fitness test.

I have to agree with this post though. The blank stare was very concerning. He just has the look of a player that can’t be coached. Kind of like the coaches, or even Holmes, are bothering him. The coaches comments about him bothered me a lot.

He’ll make the team for sure. He just has to much talent to give up on the kid after one camp, but I must say I am officially worried about this guy

yes he will.. he's a good player and freakish athlete.. prolly got a lil fat thinkin about how good he was, but do u see him cut? he can move on a dime and is very north/south... he's young.... patience is a virtue.. he's got more tools than woodhead and washington, its his first pro camp and he got off to a slow start for bein out of shape.. chill, he'll be a good player

btw, leon washington was an absolute nobody his first year

Physically, yes he is more gifted than Woodhead, but not by much. What he lacks, in comparison to Woodhead, is work ethic, confidence, desire, attitude, maturity and brains. This is why I see McKnight on the PS squad and Woodhead on the roster.

are some of you so shallow that you have already given up on him. He's a rookie. He was conditioned to a way to run in college, now he has to learn that he can't shake everyone. There is a reason he is called a rookie. Give him a break.

Especially since he isn't the starter

It's not about the excuses. While valid to a certain extent the rookie thing doesn't really apply to running backs. It's just about talent. I don't think anybody with McKnight's recruiting and draft status has ever been cut after one camp.

It's not about the excuses. While valid to a certain extent the rookie thing doesn't really apply to running backs. It's just about talent. I don't think anybody with McKnight's recruiting and draft status has ever been cut after one camp.

McKnight is the Ron Paulus of running backs.

This run in the Giants game just screams bitchass runner. Cut that sh*t inside Joe....looking for the sideline like another USC back.

Damn, I really have to agree. There's a lot more room to run if he cuts inside Santonio's block there. The announcers loved that stiff arm, but it never should've been necessary.

Undrafted. But McKnight shouldnt have been drafted either imo. He'll be out of the league in a couple years.

sh*tty attitude. Pussy foot runner. Poor vision. Average speed. Yeah, lets draft that guy.

His college coach, who needed a back, could have easily drafted McKnight and opted for a busted-up Leon Washington instead.

You guys are officially nuts. He's a pussy because he went outside? A ton of college backs take everything outside, especially fast ones. It takes more than 2 weeks to break the habit. He sure went out of bounds like a pussy at the end too. I mean, it's not like he stepped out of bounds like Franco ****ing Harris. BTW, just because some teams have success with young backs does NOT mean that all rookie backs are supposed to be ready out of the box.

As usual, I am sitting here defending a guy I don't particularly like.

His college coach, who needed a back, could have easily drafted McKnight and opted for a busted-up Leon Washington instead.

Washington was a fan favorite...I think this was a "hey Jets fans we replaced him, See!" pick.

Sort of like when your dog dies young and you tell your 7 year old daughter you got an even better one. You aint fooling anyone.

Archived