slats

59 members have voted

1. 1. What happens with Joe McKnight?

• He makes the final roster
    • He's cut and picked up by another team
    • He's cut and added to the practice squad
    • He's cut and out of the NFL
    • He's mysteriously placed on the IR

No matter how much he may have struggled, if you see enough in a guy to use a fourth round pick on him, you simply don't give up on him this quickly. It's not like he's the first guy in the world to have a rough start. Worst case scenario he's "hurt" near the end of camp and ends up on IR.

I've been pulling for this kid, but between the preseason game performance and last night's Hard Knocks I have serious doubts. Tough to cut a fourth round pick, especially one you traded up for, but they have a decision on their hands with this kid coming up. I think on merit alone that there will be another RB, FB, WR, or any special teams help that will be a better use of a roster spot than this kid.

Should he come before Woodhead, Allison, CWash, Taylor, etc., just because of his draft position? It happens all the time.

I really think the Jets need to keep a close eye out on the waiver wire for more of a bruising RB to back up Greene, anyway. McKnight's obviously not a between the tackles guy no matter what they do with him.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter how much he may have struggled, if you see enough in a guy to use a fourth round pick on him, you simply don't give up on him this quickly. It's not like he's the first guy in the world to have a rough start. Worst case scenario he's "hurt" near the end of camp and ends up on IR.

Who replaces McKnight if we cut him? Can we convince Glen Coffee to come out of retirement?

If we found someone else to bring in I wouldn't mind seeing him go. But WILL he get cut? Absolutely not. The team TRADED UP in the 4th round to acquire him. I know the Jets aren't against cutting their losses, but this would look like an egg in the face if they cut him this quickly.

Good one! *edits poll*

And I voted he sticks, too. I don't know if it's the best football move, but I don't see them cutting a fourth round pick.

Who replaces McKnight if we cut him? Can we convince Glen Coffee to come out of retirement?

If we found someone else to bring in I wouldn't mind seeing him go. But WILL he get cut? Absolutely not. The team TRADED UP in the 4th round to acquire him. I know the Jets aren't against cutting their losses, but this would look like an egg in the face if they cut him this quickly.

As I said in the opening post, I don't like the RB situation as it is.

Last year we had the #1 rushing attack in the league. We promoted Greene to TJ's spot, and brought in LT to fill Leon's role (and get those goal line touches). Two good moves. What the team failed to replace is what Shonn Greene was last year - a pounder who could come in late in games and beat the sh*t out of already tired defenses and serve as a viable backup for the starter. Greene can serve as his own late game battering ram, but I really think the missing piece of the puzzle is a legitimate backup for him. McKnight is LT's backup, minus the goal line work. I don't see Woodhead or Chauncey filling in for Greene, either. LT probably could short term, but I wouldn't want him carrying the load for even a couple games.

I think a bruising back has to be a waiver wire priority.

Don't know if the Jets will cut him or not. But what happens will be a statement about the internal politics of the Jets organization not a statment about McVomit's prospects.

EVERY TEAM makes draft day mistakes, it is a part of life in the NFL. Often these mistakes become apparent in training camp as is the case with this player. However, all humans, including the highly egotistical people how become GMs, coaches, and scouts in the NFL, are relecant to admit mistakes. For this reason most teams will hold on to players that are drafted claiming, "he just needs more time" until they have absolutely no choice but to cut the player in a couple of years, rather than quickly admitting the blunder. Occationally a team will take the smart but unpopular move of cutting their loses early. But this is rare.

If the Jets cut him, it means the team has put egos aside and are putting winning before "being right". If they keep him it means that like in most organizations politics rule.

Don't know if the Jets will cut him or not. But what happens will be a statement about the internal politics of the Jets organization not a statment about McVomit's prospects.

EVERY TEAM makes draft day mistakes, it is a part of life in the NFL. Often these mistakes become apparent in training camp as is the case with this player. However, all humans, including the highly egotistical people how become GMs, coaches, and scouts in the NFL, are relecant to admit mistakes. For this reason most teams will hold on to players that are drafted claiming, "he just needs more time" until they have absolutely no choice but to cut the player in a couple of years, rather than quickly admitting the blunder. Occationally a team will take the smart but unpopular move of cutting their loses early. But this is rare.

If the Jets cut him, it means the team has put egos aside and are putting winning before "being right". If they keep him it means that like in most organizations politics rule.

Or they don't think he's as bad as everyone else does.

He'll make the roster. He probably shouldnt, but he will because we are thin at RB.

Like Woodhead a lot more than him right now. Wont lie.

If I had to make the choice and didnt have enough room for both, I'd keep Woodhead.

IMO, they should keep both on the roster and cut Coles and Brunnell. Both are a complete waste of space.

You are all insane. This team is stacked at RB. You guys do realize that the Chargers went 13-3 with Tomlinson, don't you? They may miss having Greene to batter teams in the 4th, but Thomas Jones had 1300 in '08 without that. You guys are giving up on McKnight way too ****ing early. Woodhead is not a horror and neither is Washington. Hell, Smith and Conner can probably carry the rock a little bit too. They absolutely do not NEED anybody else. If somebody they like shakes loose fine. Otherwise they can hit the scrap heap after the injury. You guys are ridiculous. The Jets are screwed if Greene and LT get hurt! Oh NO!!!!

[EDIT] What happened to the ****ing profanity filter? If you guys don't fix that I'm screwed!

yes he will.. he's a good player and freakish athlete.. prolly got a lil fat thinkin about how good he was, but do u see him cut? he can move on a dime and is very north/south... he's young.... patience is a virtue.. he's got more tools than woodhead and washington, its his first pro camp and he got off to a slow start for bein out of shape.. chill, he'll be a good player

btw, leon washington was an absolute nobody his first year

Im quite sure he makes the final roster. 1 preseason game and a few weeks of camp cannot determine his future. Problem is with a guy like him we need players who can play special teams. Im sure the waiver wire will be looked at for RB. Is this VGII.

He makes it because there is no way he slides tot he PS.. someone signs him.

A rookie RB who doesn't know how to run inside, doesn't know the plays and isn't in good shape.

who would want him?

IR might be the best situation... if he gets dinged up IR him and check back in 2012 to see if he's matured up.

Should he come before Woodhead, Allison, CWash, Taylor, etc., just because of his draft position? It happens all the time.

Should he? IDK The upside was obviously there at some point.

Will he? One word, Gholston.

Draft pick position earns you a spot on the team.

Mcknight was an average prospect with a sh*tty attitude.

Tries to bounce everything outside and doesnt have elite speed. He wasnt very good in college so I dont expect it to translate now.

I dont get why people expect much from these backs that make their living in college running to the outside.

wait-I didn't think a player has to be cut first and then signed to the PS slats-I thought they could just assign him there-which is why I made no vote-anyone? Am I wrong on this?

Yeah, they have to be cut first. They can't be assigned to the practice squad until they clear waivers.

You are all insane. This team is stacked at RB. You guys do realize that the Chargers went 13-3 with Tomlinson, don't you? They may miss having Greene to batter teams in the 4th, but Thomas Jones had 1300 in '08 without that. You guys are giving up on McKnight way too ****ing early. Woodhead is not a horror and neither is Washington. Hell, Smith and Conner can probably carry the rock a little bit too. They absolutely do not NEED anybody else. If somebody they like shakes loose fine. Otherwise they can hit the scrap heap after the injury. You guys are ridiculous. The Jets are screwed if Greene and LT get hurt! Oh NO!!!!

Can't compare a Chargers team that threw the ball 60% of the time playing in a pansy division in great weather to the Jets running the ball 60% of the time in cold, wet crap in the AFCe.

I think it's fair to be concerned about anything happening to Greene. I think Woodhead could handle a lot of LT's pass catching stuff, and that Greene could handle the goal line carries. They could even use a two FB set down at the goal line if they wanted to. But there's no one else on the roster to handle the every down pounding if Greene's out for any length of time. Maybe I need to see more of Washington, but so far I don't see anyone.

yes he will.. he's a good player and freakish athlete.. prolly got a lil fat thinkin about how good he was, but do u see him cut? he can move on a dime and is very north/south... he's young.... patience is a virtue.. he's got more tools than woodhead and washington, its his first pro camp and he got off to a slow start for bein out of shape.. chill, he'll be a good player

btw, leon washington was an absolute nobody his first year

NOBODy?!! You must not remember Leon starting his rookie year in front of Kevin barlow and Cedric Houston and took the Jets to the playoffs...

Can't compare a Chargers team that threw the ball 60% of the time playing in a pansy division in great weather to the Jets running the ball 60% of the time in cold, wet crap in the AFCe.

I think it's fair to be concerned about anything happening to Greene. I think Woodhead could handle a lot of LT's pass catching stuff, and that Greene could handle the goal line carries. They could even use a two FB set down at the goal line if they wanted to. But there's no one else on the roster to handle the every down pounding if Greene's out for any length of time. Maybe I need to see more of Washington, but so far I don't see anyone.

Yes, the Chargers threw a ton, but they also don't have the Jets D or Oline.

I'm concerned if something happens to Greene, but I'm 100% sure that Tomlinson could carry the load for a few games with no problem. I was much more concerned going into '09 with Thomas Jones, Leon and an unknown than I am now. Tomlinson had 223 carries last year. I wouldn't be thrilled with him as our #1 option, but don't pretend the guy can't handle the carries.

RB is the type of position that players can make an immediate impact, yes even as rookies, so no excuse for this kid. Players dont grow balls overnight. You breath on this kid and he falls to the ground. That along with conditioning issues and mental issues (learning the play book)are not good signs

1. we have too man guys deserving of the spot

2. we could use the spot to keep 2 fullbacks and keep them fresh. It would be nice to have two monster fullbacks beating down LB's all game. I think this would help in ways that slats was refering. So we dont have 2 Shonn Greenes but we do have 2 fresh FB's that will smash your face in. They are also pretty high on Davis as well.

3. Special teams performance may be a big factor here.

4. Put him On the practice squad IMO.

def agree on the first part. i thought about that ir possibility which bitoni keeps mentioning but i don't see it happening. why would mcknight agree to that? he'd probably ask for his release, in which case he'd be picked up by another team in a heartbeat.

Archived