Lowery Fired Up Again, Having More Again

Kentucky Jet

Lowery Fired Up, Having More Again

Posted by nickgallo on August 24, 2010 – 6:12 pm

During the two days of practice in Cortland, N.Y., after the Jets’ contest against the Giants, cornerback Dwight Lowery began to show an increased fire. In Saturday’s game against the Carolina Panthers, Lowery broke up two passes by being physical and aggressive, and continued that play at today’s training camp practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

“When you get in this defense and you know what you’re doing, you know what everybody else is doing,” Lowery said following the practice. “You understand the defense. You understand how the offense can attack and what they would potentially do. And then it’s about putting yourself in position and making the play.”

Lowery is an expert on this defense, and head coach Rex Ryan has spoken about his versatility glowingly. He can play safety, cornerback, nickelback and in the dime. Earlier this offseason Lowery stated that he felt more comfortable playing on the inside, which is why he suggested to defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman that rookie Kyle Wilson get the nod at starting cornerback instead.

When playing cornerback in the game against the Panthers, however, he made his teammates notice.

“He’s definitely improved his game a lot this offseason,” safety James Ihedigbo said. “He continues to strive for perfection and get better. The Panthers game is just a testament to his style and how he’s going to continue to play throughout the season. He’s definitely set the bar for himself high this year and is going to continue to strive for it.”

In the eight days since that Giants game, Lowery has played faster, more locked in and with unbridled emotion. He showed that today by confidently but playfully booting a ball after breaking up a would-be touchdown pass from Mark Brunell to David Clowney. Lowery said he would never punt a ball like that during the game, but that it’s a part of his overall approach that has helped him get on track.

“I’m having fun again,” Lowery said. “That’s what it is, realizing that it’s a game, realizing that I’m blessed to play the game at this level. I feel like sometimes I put too much pressure on myself a little bit. I’m just really trying to be around the guys a lot more, laugh a lot more and just have fun with it because it only lasts for so long.”

Good Days for Defense, Offense’s Center

Today’s practice in Florham Park, which was attended by 2,733 Jets fans, was dominated by the defense. While it’s always difficult for the Jets offense to go up against this suffocating “D,” Ryan said he wants to see an improvement over today and over the team’s performance against Carolina.

“It was great to see all the fans out there today,” Ryan said. “The offense never really had a good day. We have to get better.”

In the short term, quarterback Mark Sanchez was seen working with wide receivers Santonio Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery and Braylon Edwards on the turf after practice.

One long-term way that this team will assuredly get better is by the contract extension just given to center Nick Mangold. The Pro Bowler was pleased to sign an extension with the team and his quarterback, second year man Sanchez, seemed just as excited.

“He’s a great person, unbelievable player, very good friend, so I’m thrilled,” Sanchez said. “It’s big-time news. With protections, the run game, he’s so calm. His demeanor helps. He’s a leader by example.”

And veteran nose tackle Kris Jenkins, who has to go against Mangold every day in practice until the regular-season schedule begins, says Mangold is “technically the best center in the league.”

Practice Notes

Practice included an exclamation point with a deep touchdown pass from Sanchez to Dustin Keller on a corner route. … The Jets continued to scout for opposing defenses they’ll see during the season. During a scout period where the first offense faced the second defense, Marquice Cole intercepted a Sanchez pass intended for Keller. … Vernon Gholston got his hand up at the line of scrimmage and batted a pass, but Keller used his skills as a former basketball player to leap up in a crowd and grab the “rebound.”

Josh Mauga and Donovan Warren continued to sit out practice with concussions. … Guard Charlie Tanner will most likely be sidelined for the next two to four weeks with a knee injury. … DE Ropati Pitoitua had surgery performed today on his injured Achilles’ tendon by Dr. Kenneth Montgomery, the team’s orthopedic surgeon and head team physician.

i3 Votes

I'm sorry, but I'm really not a big fan of Dwight Lowery. Not a fan at all.

Thats a shame. I've heard him say great things about you. Things like "man, that Ghost is a good poster".

FWIW, I like Dwight Lowery and think he's a good player. Apparently Rex feels the same way. He's very under appreciated by Jets fans.

Thats a shame. I've heard him say great things about you. Things like "man, that Ghost is a good poster".

FWIW, I like Dwight Lowery and think he's a good player. Apparently Rex feels the same way. He's very under appreciated by Jets fans.

i agree.whats keeping this kid from being a really good corner is half a step

I recently rewatched the first half of the jets/giants preseason game. I was going to rewatch the whole thing but I couldn't stand Gruden. Anyway, Lowery wasn't as bad as I thought. He had that awful play against Cruz but otherwise he was good. Cruz cheated but Lowery should have fought through that so I still blame him.

When Lowery says he likes playing on the inside better it just means he knows he's a little slow. In the right situations he can be a valuable player off the bench.

I recently rewatched the first half of the jets/giants preseason game. I was going to rewatch the whole thing but I couldn't stand Gruden. Anyway, Lowery wasn't as bad as I thought. He had that awful play against Cruz but otherwise he was good. Cruz cheated but Lowery should have fought through that so I still blame him.

When Lowery says he likes playing on the inside better it just means he knows he's a little slow. In the right situations he can be a valuable player off the bench.

In this system, he's that guy. Rex has already commented on his versatility but just in general, Rex loves and needs DB's. He is probably the best 4th CB on any team in the league. As much as people dog him on this site, he could be a starter on teams in this league.

The way he was hitting against Carolina, I would really like to see him get some time at safety. He may be slow as a corner, but would be great in coverage at safety. With Revis back, he is probably the odd man out anyway.

I believe that he will be excellent at safety. He is a valuable player to have on our team. smart, dedicated, intense and a bit too slow at CXB. But at safety he should be very tough to beat!

HAHAHAHAHHAHA! SHUT UPPPPPPPPP

I actually agree that Lowery is a good player... a perfect role-player. He's never going to be a super-star, but he is in position to help out in a lot of spots as a role-player.

The problem is, that he has been forced into situations that called for more than role-player ability and he hasn't exactly come out looking good. So fans will naturally be down on him... but as we built talent around him, it will insulate him from his own limitations. The end result... the perfect role-player.

No team has ever won a championship without great role-players.

I always thought his coverage was always pretty good, but for some reason QBs would put balls in perfect places. But heading into year 3, that coincidence is seeming unlikely.

The worst case scenario for a slow footed cornerback is to try to jam the WR at the line of scrimmage and miss. Maybe Lowery is afraid to jam WRs hard because he knows how slow he is. That would explain what you are talking about. Revis jams his WR as hard as he can so the WR is delayed in running his route and that throws off the timing with the QB.

He's very under appreciated by Jets fans.

I don't think Lowery is underappreciated. I just think he's overdiscussed. He gets burn like the starter he used to be, but the guy is our seventh defensive back. You run out of positives. Way it goes.

I agree and I like Lowery as well. He takes some chances and makes some big plays. When Revis gets back, I hope to see him in more of a safety/hybrid type role where his talents can be better utilized, hes simply not a cover corner.

Earlier this offseason Lowery stated that he felt more comfortable playing on the inside, which is why he suggested to defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman that rookie Kyle Wilson get the nod at starting cornerback instead.

This is interesting. I always figured that his lack of speed was the main problem and that he'd do better outside where he could use the sideline as an ally. I even thought they seemed to prefer Coleman in there. Hell, that's why I thought they drafted a little quick man-to-man type in Wilson. To cover the slot and deal with Welker and the guys the Colts were raping them with. I'm surprised Lowery prefers the inside.

This is interesting. I always figured that his lack of speed was the main problem and that he'd do better outside where he could use the sideline as an ally. I even thought they seemed to prefer Coleman in there. Hell, that's why I thought they drafted a little quick man-to-man type in Wilson. To cover the slot and deal with Welker and the guys the Colts were raping them with. I'm surprised Lowery prefers the inside.

Speed is the main problem, and that's why he can't play outside. The responsibilities are totally different irrespective of the skill set of the slot receiver. The corners are almost always in press man, quarters, or (generally excepting Revis) thirds. The nickel usually doesn't have to do any of those things except when we zero blitz and he's not one of the blitzers.

I believe that he will be excellent at safety. He is a valuable player to have on our team. smart, dedicated, intense and a bit too slow at CXB. But at safety he should be very tough to beat!

Despite all those here who guaranteed Dwight Lowery would never touch the field as a safety - thats what his skill set plays to. Gholston would get beat on coverages too if they moved him to a corner but that ain't happening. Lowery's not quick enough to excel as a cb but he'll make a good safety and he's not a finished product yet in my book.

I don't think Lowery is underappreciated. I just think he's overdiscussed. He gets burn like the starter he used to be, but the guy is our seventh defensive back. You run out of positives. Way it goes.

Yes, but the discussion are usually about how bad he is and how he shouldnt make the team, which is just absurd.

4th round pick, forced to start his rookie season on a bad defense, he's going to get beat. And then I think the lasting image of Manning/Garcon killing him lingers in everyone's mind, but as I said before, he's not the first victim of Manning in the zone and he wont be the last.

He's pretty damn good option as a 4th CB on the team.

He's pretty damn good option as a 4th CB on the team.

Great. The problem is that '4th CB' is vague and stupid. We're three deep on the outside with Revis, Cromartie, and Wilson and safety with Pool, Leonhard, and Smith and those guys can all play nickel and dime. To paraphrase Bob #1, what would you say Lowery does here?

Great. The problem is that '4th CB' is vague and stupid. We're three deep on the outside with Revis, Cromartie, and Wilson and safety with Pool, Leonhard, and Smith and those guys can all play nickel and dime. To paraphrase Bob #1, what would you say Lowery does here?

Lowery is terrible on coverage, but is a good ball hawk. He's a good guy to have roming the middle of the field on 3rd down The pick in had in Week 17 against the Bengals was a pretty good example.

He is a world better in coverage than Smith and better than Leonhard and probably Pool as well.

Why is it vague and stupid? Not sure I'm following your question, do teams not need depth anymore? Rex likes to be deep in the CB position and I'd say if someone gets injured of the 3 core CB's you've mentioned, Lowery takes there spot. So in that case, that's what Lowery does here.

What do you mean?

Might have experienced deja vu...but could have sworn I've seen you post those exact words...lol

Lowery was awesome last year. He finished second in the ENTIRE LEAGUE (behind Revis) in YPA when QBs threw at him.

Is he THAT good? No. He's not an elite cornerback, as that stat would indicate. But, he's very solid, and I really don't get why he's such a polarizing figure on here.

Lowery was awesome last year. He finished second in the ENTIRE LEAGUE (behind Revis) in YPA when QBs threw at him.

Is he THAT good? No. He's not an elite cornerback, as that stat would indicate. But, he's very solid, and I really don't get why he's such a polarizing figure on here.

That's the 2nd time I saw you throwing that stat around. Where did you get it? I saw them for 2008, done by that guy that rated the Jets #10 DBs, but not 2009. hat guy HATES Cromartie. I'd like to see the 2009 stats. If the Lowery stat is correct it would seem that maybe Revis is a little more a product of the system than anybody admits. I know for 2008 the Raiders had 3 very highly rated CBs, not just Asomugha.

That's the 2nd time I saw you throwing that stat around. Where did you get it? I saw them for 2008, done by that guy that rated the Jets #10 DBs, but not 2009. hat guy HATES Cromartie. I'd like to see the 2009 stats. If the Lowery stat is correct it would seem that maybe Revis is a little more a product of the system than anybody admits. I know for 2008 the Raiders had 3 very highly rated CBs, not just Asomugha.

I saw it in an ESPN Fantasy Football magazine. Comes from KC Joyner, whoever that is.

LOL and I sorta agree. He's not a man-man corner imo but I think he's a legit pro who would make a better safety or zone corner. Anyway he scares me a bit in man coverage but I like him on this team for what the article is mostly referring to which is his versatility. He had a rough year last year but he's still young. Some of those catches in the Giant game wasn't even nessesarily bad coverage more than great catches by Cruz imo. In other words he's good depth who still has upside.

LOL and I sorta agree. He's not a man-man corner imo but I think he's a legit pro who would make a better safety or zone corner. Anyway he scares me a bit in man coverage but I like him on this team for what the article is mostly referring to which is his versatility. He had a rough year last year but he's still young. Some of those catches in the Giant game wasn't even nessesarily bad coverage more than great catches by Cruz imo. In other words he's good depth who still has upside.

Yes, he was in positions for those plays homeboy just made outstanding adjustments along with getting away with pass interference.

I've always wondered how he'd look in that a Tampa 2.

Sounds like the AFC Championship, when Manning was playing out of his skull.

Individual Defensive Rating systems are garbage and don't work imo. There are WAAAAAAAAY too many variables. For example I remember Asante Samuel's last year in New England, Randall Gay was "ranked" the better CB using similar stats/rating system. It's stupid. The same type of ranking showed Shaun Rogers as one of the worst NT's in the NFL his last year in Detroit.

Archived