Holdout Revis done with Jets forever?

SoFlaJets

1.) Never heard that - unless by reasonable, they mean a contract with some money upfront. If that's the case, I can't say that was a lie.

2.) Haven't heard that either, but if it was said, it will probably prove to be a lie.

3.) Revis said he faked the injury, no lie there. :lol:

4.) Haven't heard that one, either, but I wouldn't've believed it if I had.

Let me ask you something - do you believe the Jets have offered a 10/$122M contract with $40M guaranteed? If so, how much of that deal do you believe the Jets offered to pay him in the first year?

More than what he signed to play for this year!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

I suppose rewarding such behavior would be "intelligent"

So basically you're saying it's intelligent to just you know, have him sit out 2-3 years and not do anything with him.

Personally I think saying "being happy with" a situation denotes the general idea that this letting him rot argument is a good way of going about business.

Come on Slats - you can do it - repeat after me: Team Revis are liars. Just as easy as saying Tanny is a liar, isn't it?

What are Team Mevis lying about? I won't go back and rehash everything, but some of the more important ones:

1. The Jets haven't offered a reasonable contract.

2. Mevis himself will not hold out again if he signs an extension.

3. Mevis faking an injury

4. Revis stating himself that he would have played out his current contract if the Jets hadn't approached him in the off season about redoing it.

Now if anyone believes number 4, I have some land I want to sell them.

Like it or not Slats most people are going to be against your boy Revis by the simple fact that he is holding out with 3 years left on the contact that he held out for to begin with. You can (and have) spin that any way you want and make excuses, etc., but as the saying goes - that's the fact Jack. Most people are going to see it that way, and that's why 98% of the board is against Mevis.

I believe it because I heard him say it.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/61010-Darrelle-Revis-Press-Conference/2766ac7c-79d0-11df-ba56-acc8e62813e9

Starting at 4:50.

So basically you're saying it's intelligent to just you know, have him sit out 2-3 years and not do anything with him.

Personally I think saying "being happy with" a situation denotes the general idea that this letting him rot argument is a good way of going about business.

If they cave or trade him and this happens every year, tell me how "intelligent" that would be.

Tell me how good the trade deals would be, if this becomes a trend.

I never said it was a good way of doing business, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do what you have to do for the benefit of the future.

Why send the message that holding out for a deal, you then holdout on "is a good way of doing business?" :huh:

If giving Revis a huge contract prevents the team from signing quality at other key positions then it hurts the team. Revis needs to realize he's a Cornerback, not a Quarterback.

Revis is their key player. There is no player they have more important than Revis. Maybe Sanchez in a couple seasons. Right now he's about average.

Where the f^ck does Jason Cole get his information? Do he and Cowlishaw share a source?

Everyone's so quick to pounce on anything anti-Revis. :rolleyes:

No kidding. No one else can even find him, yet this guy somehow knows what Revis is saying? Come on people, you need to be a little smarter than this.

If they cave or trade him and this happens every year, tell me how "intelligent" that would be.

Tell me how good the trade deals would be, if this becomes a trend.

I never said it was a good way of doing business, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do what you have to do for the benefit of the future.

Why send the message that holding out for a deal, you then holdout on "is a good way of doing business?" :huh:

Ok so investing money into a stock, then finding out that stock is not going to produce for you but you have possibility of dealing that stock away for future massive potential gains and security and then NOT trading that stock is a benefit for the future?

I'm sorry if my stupidity doesn't allow me to see how additional first round draft picks is a benefit for the future.

I'm sorry if my stupidity doesn't allow me to see how money invested into a player with money locked up meanwhile we could resign/sign other players is a benefit to the future.

Saying "let him rot" is a fans self serving need to make them believe we are puffing our chests and saying "yea you take that! don't mess with us!". What it is, is a fans meat-headed emotional response to a situation that they feel they are invested in. Sure, I'm pissed about Revis holding out. But saying to keep him under contract for the next 3 years while not doing anything with him is sheer madness. He had the greatest season he may ever have last year. He knows that, and is trying to get paid for it. If we can't sign him why not trade him at his highest value? The only way he could have more value in the trade market is if he replicated last seasons performance again.

This is why I disagree with the notion of "letting him rot." It's an emotional response. This isn't a parent/child relationship where you must not break and discipline them. This is a business and the nature of this business is to secure the best assets possible and if those assets go bad, try to turn them into more gains. Do you have faith in Mike Tannenbaum and this regime with what they can do in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft? I certainly do, and if Wilson turns out to be a good CB and Vlad can become a good OL, that's another winning year for Mike T. in the draft.

If this situation goes south and becomes a hold-out for a full year situation, then trading him is a great option for us. Letting him rot is not.

Revis is their key player. There is no player they have more important than Revis. Maybe Sanchez in a couple seasons. Right now he's about average.

You make radical statements with half truths. "All you care about is total wins" and "having Revis gives us more wins". In what perspective? Quantify for me how Revis equals more wins, and in what time frame? Signing Revis to what he wants might equal more wins or some percentage of a win this season, but it will undoubtedly hurt the team long term and equal less wins over the life of his contract. And we give him this for what? So he can hold out again in a couple years? The likelihood that Revis puts up the kind of season he had last year is slim to none. It was a banner season. All world. But how many wins did it quantify for us? We only won 9 regular season games with him playing all world. Rex Ryan's defenses have been stellar his entire tenure, and that was with CB's far less talented than Revis. Revis wants to make it out as if he is the sole reason that the Jets win or lose, and he wants to be paid as such. Bottom line is he has zero leverage. He facing a team that has him signed for 3 more years, he has a coach who believes he can win and produce a top D without him, and he has teammates who believe they can too.

I really don't care anymore. This should be done by now...Revis is good but if we just wait it out then someone else will get hyped as "ZOMG BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER EVERZ" and life will move on.

CBs are overrated as hell...therefore Revis is overrated. as hell...know how I know this to be at least somewhat true? We could never trade Revis straight up for DeMarcus Ware...or Haloti Ngata...or Kevin Williams...or even Allen or Haynesworth....not if the contracts were even...not if there were no other problems...

I want Revis back so that this team can reach it's upside, but I would not be pissed if he was traded. Isn't this pretty much what happened to Champ Bailey in Washington?

i love how these so called "journalists" place their twist on the champ bailey contract without aknowledging the high and low points of the contract."bailey has a base salary of $13m and revis is due only 1m".come on,get a grip.

any fool who would shatter the cornerback pay scale and pay $16m per for 10 years,please come to the new haven area and buy up some businesses.i would be more than happy to buy them from you after your stupidity and lack of sense would run them into the ground.

like i said months ago,revis is done as a jet.get used to it.the alliquippa product knows what he knows.his religion is $$$$.nothing less.nothing more.not calling him an a$$hole,just stating the fact thats how he was raised.i have stayed away from this discussion for awhile,but consider me officially on the mevis bandwagon.revis has officially started costing the jets

His words were that he knew what his contract said and was ok with it but things changed when the Jets came to him to offer to do a long term deal.

That's what the man said Eric.

Saying he knew what his contract was does not mean he didn't intend on doing something about it.

The implication, which is not there, was that he was ok with it... I watched the video, and all I see is him acknowledging his situation, not saying his plan was to accept it.

I'm not certain he was. If he was, I assume he'd be back by now.

And you have tried to discredit anything Anti-Revis. You also call Tanny a liar and don't believe anything the Jets say. Why bother following the team if you feel that way?

Tanny IS a liar. Until this whole Revis thing, there were many people on here saying you can't believe anything Tanny says. It's happened numerous times over the years but then people conveniently forgot that once this Revis holdout happened.

I really don't care anymore. This should be done by now...Revis is good but if we just wait it out then someone else will get hyped as "ZOMG BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER EVERZ" and life will move on.

CBs are overrated as hell...therefore Revis is overrated. as hell...know how I know this to be at least somewhat true? We could never trade Revis straight up for DeMarcus Ware...or Haloti Ngata...or Kevin Williams...or even Allen or Haynesworth....not if the contracts were even...not if there were no other problems...

I want Revis back so that this team can reach it's upside, but I would not be pissed if he was traded. Isn't this pretty much what happened to Champ Bailey in Washington?

Really this is just silly.

The Jets have NEVER had a player as talented as Revis. That doesn't mean you pay him beyond a reasonable level, but assuming that we'll have another "ZOMG BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER EVERZ" is fairly ridiculous since we've never had a player like him before.

Saying "let him rot" is a fans self serving need to make them believe we are puffing our chests and saying "yea you take that! don't mess with us!". What it is, is a fans meat-headed emotional response to a situation that they feel they are invested in. Sure, I'm pissed about Revis holding out. But saying to keep him under contract for the next 3 years while not doing anything with him is sheer madness. He had the greatest season he may ever have last year.

v89x - I don't get your stock analogy but the "meat-headed" part is wrong. Some of it is emotional response for enduring 30 years of suck; however, their is a business reason behind the "let him rot" camp:

If the Jets give Revis a trade they are rewarding bad behavior and setting a precedent that if you want more $ or a trade then all you have to do is act up and sit out. They are basically begging D Harris to do the same thing and then Wilson next season, etc...

The Jets have NEVER had a player as talented as Revis. That doesn't mean you pay him beyond a reasonable level, but assuming that we'll have another "ZOMG BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER EVERZ" is fairly ridiculous since we've never had a player like him before.

Essentially- I do agree with him that trading him wouldn't anger me. But Revis isn't overrated, especially in this scheme. If we cannot get him to sign a new deal or get him on the field to play under his current deal and the result is him sitting out, then I believe trading him is the best thing for the team.

Ok so investing money into a stock, then finding out that stock is not going to produce for you but you have possibility of dealing that stock away for future massive potential gains and security and then NOT trading that stock is a benefit for the future?

I'm sorry if my stupidity doesn't allow me to see how additional first round draft picks is a benefit for the future.

I'm sorry if my stupidity doesn't allow me to see how money invested into a player with money locked up meanwhile we could resign/sign other players is a benefit to the future.

Saying "let him rot" is a fans self serving need to make them believe we are puffing our chests and saying "yea you take that! don't mess with us!". What it is, is a fans meat-headed emotional response to a situation that they feel they are invested in. Sure, I'm pissed about Revis holding out. But saying to keep him under contract for the next 3 years while not doing anything with him is sheer madness. He had the greatest season he may ever have last year. He knows that, and is trying to get paid for it. If we can't sign him why not trade him at his highest value? The only way he could have more value in the trade market is if he replicated last seasons performance again.

This is why I disagree with the notion of "letting him rot." It's an emotional response. This isn't a parent/child relationship where you must not break and discipline them. This is a business and the nature of this business is to secure the best assets possible and if those assets go bad, try to turn them into more gains. Do you have faith in Mike Tannenbaum and this regime with what they can do in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft? I certainly do, and if Wilson turns out to be a good CB and Vlad can become a good OL, that's another winning year for Mike T. in the draft.

If this situation goes south and becomes a hold-out for a full year situation, then trading him is a great option for us. Letting him rot is not.

The stock analogy is flawed, what you do with one stock, is not going to influence what other stocks do.

Let me see the trade offers, do you have any?

When I see them, I'll decide whether or not it makes sense to deal him, until I see them, I'd let him rot. If the trade offers are "insulting" I'd let him rot.

I never said a fantastic trade offer, would not change my mind, but so far I see none.

That still does not mean that this could not lead to a trend that does more damage to the future than the trade does good.

Right now, there are no trades on the table, so the let him rot comments are more geared toward that over caving in to his unreasonable demands.

Like I said and you ignored in my prior post. If this becomes a trend, how good will the trade offers be?

I'm sure a man of your intelligence, could see how sending a message that holding out for a deal, you then hold out on is a good way to get what you want, could be damaging to the future.

For the record, I'd rather have a proven dominant pass rusher than MEvi$ any day, and draft picks are not proven.

You make radical statements with half truths. "All you care about is total wins" and "having Revis gives us more wins". In what perspective? Quantify for me how Revis equals more wins, and in what time frame? Signing Revis to what he wants might equal more wins or some percentage of a win this season, but it will undoubtedly hurt the team long term and equal less wins over the life of his contract. And we give him this for what? So he can hold out again in a couple years? The likelihood that Revis puts up the kind of season he had last year is slim to none. It was a banner season. All world. But how many wins did it quantify for us? We only won 9 regular season games with him playing all world. Rex Ryan's defenses have been stellar his entire tenure, and that was with CB's far less talented than Revis. Revis wants to make it out as if he is the sole reason that the Jets win or lose, and he wants to be paid as such. Bottom line is he has zero leverage. He facing a team that has him signed for 3 more years, he has a coach who believes he can win and produce a top D without him, and he has teammates who believe they can too.

bitonti believes the world is going to end in 2012, he has no need for the future.

Can you come up with a better theory?

v89x - I don't get your stock analogy but the "meat-headed" part is wrong. Some of it is emotional response for enduring 30 years of suck; however, their is a business reason behind the "let him rot" camp:

If the Jets give Revis a trade they are rewarding bad behavior and setting a precedent that if you want more $ or a trade then all you have to do is act up and sit out. They are basically begging D Harris to do the same thing and then Wilson next season, etc...

Revis is 100x better than Harris and Wilson right now. That's my point, will Revis's trade value ever be higher?

The malcontents in this league aren't as widespread as many believe. Harris and Wilson have proven to be different than Revis already, why? Harris is playing out this year under his current contract and Wilson didn't hold out on his rookie deal. I like to believe, and call me naive, that some players DO want to play football for the love of it and DO want to wear our colors.

He was the best player at least for one year.

Uncle Sean was never the same dominating player after his hold out. What makes us think Revis will be any different?

Revis is our best player, but Sanchez is our most important. Our success as a team is directly tied to him, not Revis. Revis played fantastic all of last season, but only when Sanchez started making plays did we get our act together, make the playoffs, and reach the AFC title game.

We can win without Revis, but if Sanchez gets hurt OR has another 23-INT season, we're not a Super Bowl contender, with or without Revis.

Mods: sticky?

By Mark J. Miller

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is taking his holdout to a whole new level, according to Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole. His agents are suggesting that Revis is ready to never play for the team again if the Jets don't come up with the kind of cash soon that he wants.

He becomes a free agent next year but wants the team to give him a new deal now that pays him more than league-salary-leading cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha(notes) of the Oakland Raiders who makes $15.17 million average a year.

Cole notes that Revis is saying that he's ready to never play for the Jets "ever again" and he may just sit out the season like his uncle Sean Gilbert once did with the Washington Redskins when he wanted between $4 million and $5 million and the team was "only" offering $3.2 million. Gilbert moved on to the Carolina Panthers the following season for $7 million.

It's looking like Revis may be ready to do the same kind of thing.

I dont believe this story. There's a gag order on both sides while negotiations are still being discussed. Mark J. Miller is an D**khead.

The stock analogy is flawed, what you do with one stock, is not going to influence what other stocks do.

Let me see the trade offers, do you have any?

When I see them, I'll decide whether or not it makes sense to deal him, until I see them, I'd let him rot. If the trade offers are "insulting" I'd let him rot.

I never said a fantastic trade offer, would not change my mind, but so far I see none.

That still does not mean that this could not lead to a trend that does more damage to the future than the trade does good.

Right now, there are no trades on the table, so the let him rot comments are more geared toward that over caving in to his unreasonable demands.

Like I said and you ignored in my prior post. If this becomes a trend, how good will the trade offers be?

I'm sure a man of your intelligence, could see how sending a message that holding out for a deal, you then hold out on is a good way to get what you want, could be damaging to the future.

My whole argument is based on the fact that Revis doesn't dress this year. The Jets have publicly stated they are not entertaining offers. If worst comes to worst (won't step on the field) then I say that's when you start entertaining offers. If he chooses not to dress and play for us then that sends me the message he doesn't want to play for us unless we meet his demands. And rather than "let him rot" I'd choose to say, **** him, I'm going to get whatever I can get for you.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "if this becomes a trend".

God I so wish Dan Snyder was still running the Redskins.

The jets should contact Revis' agents and say heres the deal.

Sign now for the 12.2 mil per we offered or sit out the season

Then Next year is goes to 8 mil per

Sit out that season and it goes to 6 mil per

after that GFY because no one will pay a 28 (or 29 not sure on age ) year old CB 3 years removed from action any where near 12 + mil per year.

He was the best player at least for one year.

Uncle Sean was never the same dominating player after his hold out. What makes us think Revis will be any different?

I'm not certain he will have the same dominant year. That's why I'm against paying him stupid money. I'm also against trading him at this point.

I'm for locking Tannenbaum, Revis, and his agents in a room and not letting them out until a fair deal is reached. One that involves some legitimate guaranteed money, but one that also averages significantly less than 16M per year.

1.) Never heard that - unless by reasonable, they mean a contract with some money upfront. If that's the case, I can't say that was a lie.

2.) Haven't heard that either, but if it was said, it will probably prove to be a lie.

3.) Revis said he faked the injury, no lie there. :lol:

4.) Haven't heard that one, either, but I wouldn't've believed it if I had.

Let me ask you something - do you believe the Jets have offered a 10/$122M contract with $40M guaranteed? If so, how much of that deal do you believe the Jets offered to pay him in the first year?

From what I understand, it's a difference of interpretation in the term guaranteed money. Jets offered a skills guarantee vs an injury guarantee or vice versa.

One guarantee is in the players favor, the other is in the teams. Not sure of specifics, but it's enough of a difference that the Revis team doesn't consider it a guarantee. And in reality, from what I read, it really didn't.

Archived