Holdout Revis done with Jets forever?

SoFlaJets

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with one sentiment of the anti-Revis crowd is what is to say he won't hold out in another 2 years. That's the thing that's got me most bothered about forking over any substantial guaranteed money to him.

There's not a doubt in my mind that he's a risk to hold out again. I wouldn't give him more than the annual average of his next deal in the first year, but I wouldn't expect him to sign for much less than that. It'll be up to the team that signs him to try to construct a deal that encourages Revis to show. Attach large chunks of his pay to OTA's and training camp appearances. Penalize him for walking out of those. Graduate the salaries over the course of the contract so that there's no lulls in it (like this year in his current deal).

It won't be easy.

Revis is their key player. There is no player they have more important than Revis. Maybe Sanchez in a couple seasons. Right now he's about average.

I don't agree with a thing you've said here.

Sanchez is more important than Revis.

Sanchez is more important than Revis right now.

Sanchez is not good enough yet to be considered average.

If Sanchez is as bad or worse than last year it won't matter if they have three Revises in the secondary. If Sanchez managed to be as good as a good-but-not-elite QB like Eli, with the offensive talent the Jets have, the Jets will have a top-3 offense that will overcome the supposed handicap of Cromartie and Wilson starting at corner.

Revis is not worth $16M per season.

Revis is their key player. There is no player they have more important than Revis. Maybe Sanchez in a couple seasons. Right now he's about average.

Interesting thought here. If it is as you suggest, how about this scenario. Which would you all rather have?

Revis back and starting with Cromartie. OR Sanchez not here and Clemens starting. Which team would have more wins in the end and why?

I don't agree with a thing you've said here.

Sanchez is more important than Revis.

Sanchez is more important than Revis right now.

Sanchez is not good enough yet to be considered average.

If Sanchez is as bad or worse than last year it won't matter if they have three Revises in the secondary. If Sanchez managed to be as good as a good-but-not-elite QB like Eli, with the offensive talent the Jets have, the Jets will have a top-3 offense that will overcome the supposed handicap of Cromartie and Wilson starting at corner.

Revis is not worth $16M per season.

+1

Interesting thought here. If it is as you suggest, how about this scenario. Which would you all rather have?

Revis back and starting with Cromartie. OR Sanchez not here and Clemens starting. Which team would have more wins in the end and why?

Approaching him with logic, gets you no where.

Absolutely. I didn't even want to get into how he takes away the short stuff to because, without being cliche, he really did "shutdown" parts of the field. I just don't think that ability is something every "good" CB has. Good CB's can thrive in this system. Great CB's define it.

I agree on the deal. I have to say though, I agree with one sentiment of the anti-Revis crowd is what is to say he won't hold out in another 2 years. That's the thing that's got me most bothered about forking over any substantial guaranteed money to him. I think the thing that irritated me most about this article is the heaping praise they laid on his agents. Why is it that his clients are such malcontents? Isn't V-Jax in SD a holdout as well? I do believe Revis should get paid, but like I said... at what price. I think I'm more in the middle about this than some of the people on the board.

The V-Jax thing is weird since the guy played out his contract. SD is a crazy bunch.

Let me ask you something - do you believe the Jets have offered a 10/$122M contract with $40M guaranteed? If so, how much of that deal do you believe the Jets offered to pay him in the first year?

Yes I do believe the Jets offered 122M and they most likely structured it so that Mr. Ego would be the highest paid CB for this year. As far as the amount of Guarantees I'm not sure, but I'm positive it was for injury OR skill but not both. It may have been as high as 40M, but Mevis would have balked since it was not for both skill and injury. Regardless, that was a reasonable offer especially since Mevis holds every other year.

Yes I do believe the Jets offered 122M and they most likely structured it so that Mr. Ego would be the highest paid CB for this year. As far as the amount of Guarantees I'm not sure, but I'm positive it was for injury OR skill but not both. It may have been as high as 40M, but Mevis would have balked since it was not for both skill and injury. Regardless, that was a reasonable offer especially since Mevis holds every other year.

It may have even been a "holdout clause" the MEvi$ objects to.

After all that's what he does best.

from what we've seen from Sanchez this season and last year. I dont really know how much of an upgrade he is over Clemens. They are both flawed QBs right now.

I'll take the all time defense and the rushing attack. Cause the high flying passing attack isn't gonna happen. I see a jets team similar to last years and that means they win on defense. Not on Qb. There are other teams like the Colts and Saints who are built around a franchise Qb, the Jets are built around their defense and rushing. ground and pound.

people say they don't need Revis, all that matters is Sanchez... are expecting too big a jump in mark sanchez's skills this year. maybe in year 6 of his career the Jets can be high flying.

There's not a doubt in my mind that he's a risk to hold out again. I wouldn't give him more than the annual average of his next deal in the first year, but I wouldn't expect him to sign for much less than that. It'll be up to the team that signs him to try to construct a deal that encourages Revis to show. Attach large chunks of his pay to OTA's and training camp appearances. Penalize him for walking out of those. Graduate the salaries over the course of the contract so that there's no lulls in it (like this year in his current deal).

It won't be easy.

That's just it - I don't think it's possible to structure a contract that would prevent Revis from holding out. As soon as crazy Al makes someone else the highest paid CB, Mevis will start crying and hold out again even if he's already received a 100M in bonus money. He already threw away over 20M in guaranteed money by holding out now, so why wouldn't he hold out again 2 years from now?

Lastly, even if one could structure such a contract - is it even remotely possible that Revis would sign it? I doubt he'd sign something that would prevent him from holding out.

It may have even been a "holdout clause" the MEvi$ objects to.

After all that's what he does best.

The “Hold Out” clause in his current contract didn’t stop him from doing this. It won’t stop him next time either. Soon as he gets most of his guaranteed money, he won’t show.

If Sanchez is as bad or worse than last year it won't matter if they have three Revises in the secondary.

i dont buy that. If Sanchez is the same as last year they can still go 9-7 or 10-6 and get hot. It's probably their most realistic path to manage the kid and win with defense and rushing.

i dont buy that. If Sanchez is the same as last year they can still go 9-7 or 10-6 and get hot. It's probably their most realistic path to manage the kid and win with defense and rushing.

We didn't bring in Santonio Holmes and LT just for Sanchez to go out and throw 23 INT's again. Defense and rushing just isn't enough in the NFL today. If Sanchez is the same as last year we don't make the playoffs. Period. Our schedule is tougher, the AFC East is tougher, and we needed every break imaginable just to get in last year despite having the # 1 defense and # 1 rushing attack (a feat we're unlikely to repeat even if Revis comes back). Lightning won't strike twice.

Besides, is just sneaking into the postseason our goal? A solid year out of Sanchez is the difference between 9-7 and 13-3 with the roster that's been put together

And no matter what, paying Revis exactly what he wants is neither going to guarantee us a Super Bowl NOR is it in the best interests of the franchise. You can't win this one Bitonti.

Ah, that says allot for giving MEvi$ car blanche. :blink:

He becomes a free agent next year but wants the team to give him a new deal now that pays him more than league-salary-leading cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha(notes) of the Oakland Raiders who makes $15.17 million average a year.

haven't followed this whole thing, but the above is wrong, correct? (snipped from original article)

So you think they've offered him a deal paying him more than $16M this year? Really? Why do you believe that? Revis' people have said that they've no money upfront, and the Jets have all but confirmed that by saying they wouldn't discuss bonus money until total compensation was decided upon.

I think if the Jets offered that contract, with that much in the first year, that he would've already signed. I base that on the structure of Mangold's and (especially) Brick's deals, where they didn't get the annual average of their deals in the first year. Can't imagine the Jets offering Revis more than the annual average of his. No way. Not the same team cutting players making the league minimum for financial reasons in an uncapped year.

But you believing such a thing, as unlikely as it is, certainly colors your perception of the negotiations, I suppose.

It's more likely that we make the playoffs without Revis than make the playoffs with Sanchez regressing or being the same as last year.

Few teams make the playoffs with a QB that throws 20 picks and fumbles 11 times in under 400 drop-backs.

Every year multiple teams make the playoffs without a single corner as good as Revis. Most probably don't have as good of a tandem as Cromartie/Wilson are likely to be.

Revis may be 100x better at his position than Sanchez is at his. Even still, Sanchez is far more important to the team's fortunes than Revis.

We didn't bring in Santonio Holmes and LT just for Sanchez to go out and throw 23 INT's again. Defense and rushing just isn't enough in the NFL today. If Sanchez is the same as last year we don't make the playoffs. Period. Our schedule is tougher, the AFC East is tougher, and we needed every break imaginable just to get in last year despite having the # 1 defense and # 1 rushing attack (a feat we're unlikely to repeat even if Revis comes back). Lightning won't strike twice.

Besides, is just sneaking into the postseason our goal? A solid year out of Sanchez is the difference between 9-7 and 13-3 with the roster that's been put together

And no matter what, paying Revis exactly what he wants is neither going to guarantee us a Super Bowl NOR is it in the best interests of the franchise. You can't win this one Bitonti.

LT is a replacement for Leon. Holmes is great but out for 25% of the season. Whatever gain there was in skill positions they probably even out with loss of continuity along the OL. And still Sanchez is a soph and looked like hot garbage this preseason. The offense might be better but not MUCH better.

The defense has to be all-time or it's not as good a team as last year.

Whatever gain there was in skill positions they probably even out with loss of continuity along the OL.

I think this is ridiculous, but you've said allot of ridiculous things thus far.

All we have to go on right now is the pre-season.

So far the running game looks like they will be getting more yards per carry, and the passing game has much better options, they look to be much improved.

Oh and the MEvi$-less Jets D has given up, what 1 TD, on a drive that started on the 1 yard line?

No way the "continuity along the OL" gets better as the year goes on. :blink:

Personally, I think its possible that Revis & Co. had planned to hold out this year if he could from the moment he signed his rookie deal.

I would not put it past them, but of course that's all Tanny's fault.

He forced them into signing that rookie deal. :blink:

I would not put it past them, but of course that's all Tanny's fault.

He forced them into signing that rookie deal. :blink:

Yes but in Tannys Defense, Revis holding out again would mean he outplayed his contract which is a great for any GM. In which case Tanny would be more than happy to restructure a deal. And he was. But no one could have predicted the year Revis had, and that he was going to be a complete dickhead about everything.

By the way, was Aso's deal in place before Revis' rookie deal?

Yes but in Tannys Defense, Revis holding out again would mean he outplayed his contract which is a great for any GM. In which case Tanny would be more than happy to restructure a deal. And he was. But no one could have predicted the year Revis had, and that he was going to be a complete dickhead about everything.

I totally agree, I was mocking with my comment on Tanny.

By the way, was Aso's deal in place before Revis' rookie deal?

I don't think so. Even if it was, it was back loaded no, and as we all know the back end of a deal means nothing. :huh:

Archived