Holdout Revis done with Jets forever?

SoFlaJets

And still Sanchez is a soph and looked like hot garbage this preseason. The offense might be better but not MUCH better.

And that's exactly the point, and the reason why Sanchez is more important! If he DOES NOT play like hot garbage, then we will be able to completely forget about Revis. No one player on this team impacts our season more than Mark Sanchez. This is why most Jets fans do NOT think that Revis should get Mark Sanchez dollars!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that's exactly the point, and the reason why Sanchez is more important! If he DOES NOT play like hot garbage, then we will be able to completely forget about Revis. No one player on this team impacts our season more than Mark Sanchez. This is why most of the world does NOT think that Revis should get Mark Sanchez dollars!

Fixed.

I feel like unlogic could be a new, cool verb.

Someone urban dictionary it.

Unlogic (noun): a particular method of reasoning or argumentation that assumes that even the best cornerback has more value than a franchise quarterback. The idea that giving Darrelle Revis $16.2 million dollars per year is a good move for the New York Jets requires quite a bit of unlogic, as well as a suspension of disbelief. Also see: Retarded.

Unlogic (noun): a particular method of reasoning or argumentation that assumes that even the best cornerback has more value than a franchise quarterback. The idea that giving Darrelle Revis $16.2 million dollars per year is a good move for the New York Jets requires quite a bit of unlogic, as well as a suspension of disbelief. Also see: Retarded.

POTW!

By Mark J. Miller

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is taking his holdout to a whole new level, according to Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole. His agents are suggesting that Revis is ready to never play for the team again if the Jets don't come up with the kind of cash soon that he wants.

He becomes a free agent next year but wants the team to give him a new deal now that pays him more than league-salary-leading cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha(notes) of the Oakland Raiders who makes $15.17 million average a year.

Cole notes that Revis is saying that he's ready to never play for the Jets "ever again" and he may just sit out the season like his uncle Sean Gilbert once did with the Washington Redskins when he wanted between $4 million and $5 million and the team was "only" offering $3.2 million. Gilbert moved on to the Carolina Panthers the following season for $7 million.

It's looking like Revis may be ready to do the same kind of thing.

Who wrote this article?

Revis doesn't become a FA next year.

First post here.

Stories like these essentially reek of desperation from Team Revis.I can see more such stories from Revis's side in the coming days.

The fact is their leverage in this negotiation was never great to begin with b/c Revis is under contract for the next 3 years. And given the pre-season performance of the first team defense their leverage has been further reduced. And whatever little they have left has an expiry date to it. If the Jets begin the season 2-0 then essentially all is lost for Team Revis.

By Mark J. Miller

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is taking his holdout to a whole new level, according to Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole. His agents are suggesting that Revis is ready to never play for the team again if the Jets don't come up with the kind of cash soon that he wants.

He becomes a free agent next year but wants the team to give him a new deal now that pays him more than league-salary-leading cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha(notes) of the Oakland Raiders who makes $15.17 million average a year.

Cole notes that Revis is saying that he's ready to never play for the Jets "ever again" and he may just sit out the season like his uncle Sean Gilbert once did with the Washington Redskins when he wanted between $4 million and $5 million and the team was "only" offering $3.2 million. Gilbert moved on to the Carolina Panthers the following season for $7 million.

It's looking like Revis may be ready to do the same kind of thing.

Did I miss where Revis or his agent are actually quoted? Or just where some reporter suggested something may have been said somewhere by someone at some time? I get confused now. Despite the information "freeze" that's supposedly in place, I keep seeing all of these "boo-hoo, poor Jets" articles stating that Revis "turned down--GET THIS--ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS!," which we all realize is a fallacy because the total dollars of a contract mean little compared to the guarantees. I'm thinking a lot of you guys who are screaming "F Revis" and buying the Jets front office's propaganda are going to feel a little silly once we see what Revis actually signs for.

If Revis' demands are SO insane, then cut him now. Trade him. If Tannenbaum and Woody want to be men about it and are telling the truth about Revis' INSAAAAANE contract demands that they'll NEVER pay, then move on. Ante up.

I would not put it past them, but of course that's all Tanny's fault.

He forced them into signing that rookie deal. :blink:

It's Revis' fault for being such a good player. If he sucked they could have cut him by now. And that would have been a great money savings.

so after Payton Manning signs for 25 mil per year, can we put it to bed that Revis is asking for franchise Qb money?

Dude...

When Manning's deal comes in closer to $18M/year will you at least come back and own up to this particular piece of hysterical fiction?

He will earn >$25M THIS SEASON with his signing bonus but his deal will not be anywhere near $25M/year.

Largest to date is Peyton with $98M/6yrs which nets out to just over $16M/year.

Next is Eli with $107M/7yrs which nets out to just over $15M/year.

The other pace-setter is Bradford's deal which maxes out at $86M/6yrs which nets out to just over $14M/year.

So tell me why the Colts are going to raise the bar by over 50% on an annual basis? Because that's exactly what you're proposing. Has Peyton and his one super bowl win outperformed his last contract ($16M/yr) by THAT MUCH?

I know you want the players to get oodles and oodles of money, and you think the owners are all excessively wealthy and greedy pigs who should pay every penny of profit to the players, but do you really enjoy the idea of ticket prices going up another 20% next year? Because that's where we're headed with your giveaway program.

Did I miss where Revis or his agent are actually quoted? Or just where some reporter suggested something may have been said somewhere by someone at some time? I get confused now. Despite the information "freeze" that's supposedly in place, I keep seeing all of these "boo-hoo, poor Jets" articles stating that Revis "turned down--GET THIS--ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS!," which we all realize is a fallacy because the total dollars of a contract mean little compared to the guarantees. I'm thinking a lot of you guys who are screaming "F Revis" and buying the Jets front office's propaganda are going to feel a little silly once we see what Revis actually signs for.

If Revis' demands are SO insane, then cut him now. Trade him. If Tannenbaum and Woody want to be men about it and are telling the truth about Revis' INSAAAAANE contract demands that they'll NEVER pay, then move on. Ante up.

Pay up to the guy that is under contract for 3 years, faking injuries, making ridiculous demands and being a total douche about it? Not a chance. Let him rot for 3 years. Let's see what he gets when he's in his late 20's and he's been out of football for 3 years. That alone will be satisfying.

Pay up to the guy that is under contract for 3 years, faking injuries, making ridiculous demands and being a total douche about it? Not a chance. Let him rot for 3 years. Let's see what he gets when he's in his late 20's and he's been out of football for 3 years. That alone will be satisfying.

If his demands are so off the hook, then trade him, cut him. Or, maybe his demands aren't as ludicrous as Mikey the Boy CPA would have the press have you believe.

For me this has nothing to do with "boo-hoo, poor Jets" or any "front office's propaganda" this is all about a selfish, greedy, person who has started believing his own hype. I take no sides except my own as a fan of this team since the late 60's. I want to see the Jets win another super bowl in my lifetime and Revis is messing with my life in that respect. I know a lot of you guys hate Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum or hate the way you feel they do business-I could care less about Johnson's money and how it gets spent. All I want is a championship and the best chance of seeing that happen this year is with this jerkoff playing CB. The sad thing is if he does end up back I will have a hard time rooting for him and if he gets hurt I won't feel "sorry" for his plight-I'll think he may have had it coming to him. And come on TS cut Revis? Really? You're way too smart to even write that kind of crap.

If his demands are so off the hook, then trade him, cut him. Or, maybe his demands aren't as ludicrous as Mikey the Boy CPA would have the press have you believe.

Why in the world would the Jets do that? Hate the system all you want, but the Jets own his NFL career for 4 more years. He got paid a boatload of money in exchange for those rights, which went from 3 to 4 years based on his own actions. What other teams think he's worth is absolutely irrelevant here. S&F may think they can shoot their way out of town here, but the Jets might just call their bluff. Everyone loses, but for the team, life goes on, and for Revis, he's contemplating his next career as a rap star (based on an article...not making this up). He should be able to earn at least the cost of a tank of gas doing that.

For me this has nothing to do with "boo-hoo, poor Jets" or any "front office's propaganda" this is all about a selfish, greedy, person who has started believing his own hype. I take no sides except my own as a fan of this team since the late 60's. I want to see the Jets win another super bowl in my lifetime and Revis is messing with my life in that respect. I know a lot of you guys hate Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum or hate the way you feel they do business-I could care less about Johnson's money and how it gets spent. All I want is a championship and the best chance of seeing that happen this year is with this jerkoff playing CB. The sad thing is if he does end up back I will have a hard time rooting for him and if he gets hurt I won't feel "sorry" for his plight-I'll think he may have had it coming to him. And come on TS cut Revis? Really? You're way too smart to even write that kind of crap.

Same here. I have been a Jet Fan for over 40 years and hear we are with the best chance since Joe Willie to get back to the SB and this greedy jerk is killing us. Unreal.

Obviously it would be ludicrous to cut him, Jimmy. I'm just emphasizing the point that if Revis is the greedy psycho that he's being portrayed as by the Jets, then they should move him. If he's so greedy and so unreliable, as reported by "sources," then get rid of him. My point is that I think when it all comes out in the wash, we're going to find out that this was more about Woody trying to save a few (relatively speaking) nickels by withholding guaranteed cash than it ever was about Darrelle and his agents scrapping for some mythical total dollar figure.

As far as the fans go and sacrificing for the good of the team, that's not Revis' fault--Wooody could have him in here tomorrow. If you believe the Jets are--at this moment--a big time contender, then why worry about what some allegedly ludicrous contract will do to the salary cap three or four years down the road? Pay the people that give you the best chance to win the ring right now and then worry about the consequences if and when they hit. And, as far as those consequences go, when have we ever seen in the NFL where the bloated contract of one player absolutely hamstrung a team? Is Jamarcus Russell's contract holding the Raiders back? Has Peyton Manning's contract destroyed the Colts? It never happens. IMO, it's Woody that's giving the big FU to the fans

Why in the world would the Jets do that? Hate the system all you want, but the Jets own his NFL career for 4 more years. He got paid a boatload of money in exchange for those rights, which went from 3 to 4 years based on his own actions. What other teams think he's worth is absolutely irrelevant here. S&F may think they can shoot their way out of town here, but the Jets might just call their bluff. Everyone loses, but for the team, life goes on, and for Revis, he's contemplating his next career as a rap star (based on an article...not making this up). He should be able to earn at least the cost of a tank of gas doing that.

I hear you, but it's not at all realistic--or good business--to let Revis rot for any length of time. Even if they want nothing to do with him, he's still a high-value commodity. Letting that commodity rot because you can't figure out how to hammer out a deal with him helps no one.

But TS-I don't see the Jets saying anything like this. Nobody from the Jets organization is depicting him in any unfavorable light or citing any numbers-a lot of it is speculation from the press. WE'RE the ones calling him all the names. Like I said I could care less how the Johnson family spends their money-they could never live long enough to do that in one lifetime-I only want one thing; To see the best Jets team on the field on September 13th and Revis' greed and selfishness is the biggest obstacle in the way of that. But one thing I DO know without knowing any of the particulars; if Darrelle Revis wanted to play football for the Jets this year all he has to do is tell his two agents representing him to "get it done"-HE obviously doesn't WANT to be a Jet and I'm starting to really hate him for it.

Now we be conversating!

It's Revis' fault for being such a good player. If he sucked they could have cut him by now. And that would have been a great money savings.

Shame on Tanny for not offering to re-do his deal, and instead offering $12 mill per and $40 mill guaranteed in peanuts! :blink:

First, the let him rot thing does nothing for the Jets. I guess you missed that section of the thread.

Second, it's never going to happen.

Revis already earned the right to the void the last two years of his contract. If the Jets want to buy them back, they come at the rate of $5M and $15M, respectively. All he lost by holding out was getting those years guaranteed, but those numbers are still in place.

So if he sits this year and then voids his deal, the Jets have the option (which they'd undoubedly take) to buy them back. Revis is then under contract for $5M for the lockout year. He won't even have to hold out to not get paid. :lol: If football is played, he can decide whether or not it's worth it to him to show up for $5M.

But the third year of let him rot? He'll be under contract for $15M, and he will show up for that amount.

So not only is it a stupid hypothetical, but it's never, ever going to happen - even if the Jets want it to. It's completely unlogical. :blink:

Really, as soon as next year the Jets will be anxious to get something done with him so that they're not between the rock of being on the hook for $15M to a player that's been out of football for two years, and the hard place of cutting him and losing him for nothing.

First, the let him rot thing does nothing for the Jets. I guess you missed that section of the thread.

Revis already earned the right to the void the last two years of his contract. If the Jets want to buy them back, they come at the rate of $5M and $15M, respectively. All he lost by holding out was getting those years guaranteed, but those numbers are still in place.

So if he sits this year and then voids his deal, the Jets have the option (which they'd undoubedly take) to buy them back. Revis is then under contract for $5M for the lockout year. He won't even have to hold out to not get paid. :lol: If football is played, he can decide whether or not it's worth it to him to show up for $5M.

But the third year of let him rot? He'll be under contract for $15M, and he will show up for that amount.

So not only is it a stupid hypothetical, but it's never, ever going to happen - even if the Jets want it to. It's completely unlogical. :blink:

Really, as soon as next year the Jets will be anxious to get something done with him so that they're not between the rock of being on the hook for $15M to a player that's been out of football for two years, and the hard place of cutting him and losing him for nothing.

He won't show up for $15M, because Namdi gets more than that.

If he sits out this year, his salary for next year is 1 million. That year was not fulfilled, nor does he get credit for it as far as RFA goes He’s back to square one

Nice how you quote the ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS!, and leave out the $40 mill guaranteed which is from the same report.

Oh truthful ante up one. :rolleyes:

He won't show up for $15M, because Namdi gets more than that.

Yes he will.

If he sits out this year, his salary for next year is 1 million. That year was not fulfilled, nor does he get credit for it as far as RFA goes He’s back to square one

You are incorrect, sir.

Archived