Holdout Revis done with Jets forever?

SoFlaJets

If he sits out this season, the Jets would have to be willing to (financially) forgive him for sitting out, which will be about $4M when you count the amortized amounts of his signing and option bonuses. If they don't he's not playing next year for $5M either. If he sits out again then it's $8M. At that number, he'll either sit out a 3rd year or agree to come back just for the last, bloated contract year. But they technically could make him inactive every game for $9M minus the $8M Revis would owe them. Then he's a UFA in 2013 who hasn't played ball since the 2009 season. Maybe someone will still make him a mega-deal, but lots of teams would never touch him given his history with the Jets FO.

At some point I wonder if he's considered that the offer on the table might be the best deal he ever gets offered for the rest of his life.

If this information proves to be true, the Jets need to publicly respond because it appears the moron twins (Schwartz and Feinsod) have violated the agreed upon media blackout.

So if it is true, I would love it if the Jets called a press conference and said the following:

"If Darrelle Revis does not accept one of the three offers we have on the table and get his a$$ to Florham Park by Monday morning, giving him a week to prepare for our season opener against the Baltimore Ravens, then as far as we are concerned he will never play for this team again. If that is the case, Mr. Revis owes the New York Jets $4 million. We will not entertain any trade options for Mr. Revis until we are paid this $4 million. If this $4 million is paid, then the starting point in negotiations for Mr. Revis' services is 3 first round draft choices, minimum."

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Learn to read. This ain't a leak from the Jets camp. This is a leak from the Revis camp.

"His agents are suggesting that Revis is ready to never play for the team again if the Jets don't come up with the kind of cash soon that he wants."

You learn to read.

I don't believe every report or leak from the Jets.

The reports being one thing I don't believe, the leaks being another.

"His agents are suggesting... "

Onos!!!

Why not shop him to a crappy team like the Lions?

It might be 'satisfying' to force him to sit 2yrs and get fat...but we'd get nothing out of it.

But couldn't we get great picks etc from Detroit? I also think sitting him and fattening him up might demoralize the current team and hurt our ability to attract good people.

I'll trade him right now for Suh and Best.

Where the f^ck does Jason Cole get his information? Do he and Cowlishaw share a source?

Everyone's so quick to pounce on anything anti-Revis. :rolleyes:

And you have tried to discredit anything Anti-Revis. You also call Tanny a liar and don't believe anything the Jets say. Why bother following the team if you feel that way?

I'm not going to do a complete recap for you right now.

I've said many times that I believe Revis should sign a fair deal, and the rumored 10/$122M deal qualifies as that - provided the Jets give him at least $12M in the first year.

I have been adamantly against believing everything the Jets say. Tannenbaum lies for a living.

All I know is, you have an organization run by Mike Tannenbaum who has had, if I'm not mistaken, 2 hold-outs in his tenure as a GM. Both of them were Darrelle Revis.

You also have had 4 major contract problems under the Tannenbaum 'era', Washington, Kendall, Baker, Revis, the last 3 were represented by the same agent, and the first was a 3rd down back who the organization clearly did not value as highly as he valued himself.

You have that agent responsible for the two largest hold-outs of this offseason involved.

And, as mentioned, you have a player who's already held out once before.

Do I believe everything the Jets say? Absolutely not. Does the evidence point strongly towards TEAM REVIS being responsible for this problem. It absolutely does.

And you have tried to discredit anything Anti-Revis. You also call Tanny a liar and don't believe anything the Jets say. Why bother following the team if you feel that way?

If I held them to that standard, I wouldn't follow any team. They're all liars.

Do I believe everything the Jets say? Absolutely not. Does the evidence point strongly towards TEAM REVIS being responsible for this problem. It absolutely does.

I really don't give too much of a crap about assigning blame. Revis and his team have chosen to hold out, obviously that's the issue. If the Jets want their superstar CB back, they should do something about it. Judging by the contract signed Brick - a similar situation to Revis in that he had a couple years left - I wouldn't blame Revis' people at all if they refused to sign such a deal. Watching Tannenbaum cutting Coles and wanting to cut TRich and Laury, too, because they make the NFL minimums - tells me that the Jets haven't been willing to come up with the money needed to get a deal done.

It comes down to both sides needing to compromise. Team Revis has said that the Jets have offered no upfront money, and the Jets have all but confirmed that. They need to get off that hardline stance if a compromise is going to be reached. Obviously Revis is going to have to come off of the $16M demand, too.

But around here, if you see both sides of the issue you're seen as some dangerous Pro Revis radical. :lol:

The black & white world most fans live in is probably much easier navigate. I get that, too.

Give it up, Jim. The guy is a complete selfish prick. I hope he is done with us, because I don't want him anymore. I'm at the point where I don't get mad after reading articles like the one posted. I know the Jets will go to war with Cro and Wilson. We're fine.

let me repeat

there is no right and wrong there is only wins and losses

if some team chose to pay Gilbert and it didn't work out to wins for them that's their mistake.

there's no outcome where the Jets signing Revis makes them a worse team.

Wrong. Signing Revis to an inflated contract that does not allow them to sign key players at other positions makes them a worse team. Period. The function of the salary cap forces a team to consider the worth of a player based upon the value of the position he plays vs the value lost by paying that position huge dollars. If giving Revis a huge contract prevents the team from signing quality at other key positions then it hurts the team. Revis needs to realize he's a Cornerback, not a Quarterback.

And so are the players and their agents. That is something you really don't take into account IMO.

You shouldn't respond to my posts if you're not going to read them first. I fully understand both sides are full of sh*t. Part of the problem with the large anti-Revis crowd is that they think Team Revis telling the truth when they say they need more than Aso makes to get a deal done. I call them the liars they are, and I'm out of line. :lol:

You shouldn't respond to my posts if you're not going to read them first. I fully understand both sides are full of sh*t. Part of the problem with the large anti-Revis crowd is that they think Team Revis telling the truth when they say they need more than Aso makes to get a deal done. I call them the liars they are, and I'm out of line. :lol:

I have read a lot of your posts and I don't recall you ever calling Revis agents liars like you have Tanny. I may have missed something in your 1,000 posts defending Revis, but I don't seem to recall such a statement. You are certainly taking their side of things, and infer they are more credible than the Jets FO.

So...it seems pretty safe to say that after three pages of dick-measuring contests and ad hominem attacks, not a single person has read the actual article. Can't say I'm surprised.

I can only assume that people will ignore it again, so let me sum up: there's a lot of vague unattributed talk about Revis feeling betrayed, there's some light psychoanalysis of the "agitated" tone with which Rex speaks about Revis on HK, and there's the conclusion that Revis's holdout may continue into the season and damage his relationship with the Jets. There are no quotes, no sources cited, and nothing more specific than hey-what-if hypotheticals.

Translation: this could have been written in June.

Feel free to go back to being loud and stupid now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-revis090210

Jets in danger of losing Revis forever

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 13 hours, 34 minutes ago

At one point during the latest episode of HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” Jets coach Rex Ryan explained to veteran wide receiver Laveranues Coles(notes) why the team had to cut him. It was over salary reasons, but Ryan said the team hoped to bring back Coles in the second week of the season when his contract won’t be fully guaranteed.

Ultimately, Ryan told Coles that the team had to make the move “in case [cornerback Darrelle Revis(notes)] shows up without a new contract.”

Here’s a little piece of information for Ryan and the rest of the New York Jets: If Revis doesn’t get a new contract soon, New York doesn’t have to worry about the star cornerback showing up. Ever.

As the clock ticks to the beginning of the NFL season, the relationship between the Jets and Revis is ticking toward an end. A divorce, really. That might sound like hysteria to some but it’s reality.

You can hear the agitation in Ryan’s voice when he talks about the overall state of his team. During one moment in “Hard Knocks,” Ryan chewed the Jets out for not playing with urgency, a bad sign for any team, particularly for one that hasn’t won a championship in more than four decades.

Jets fans can pump their chest about allowing only one touchdown in the first three games of preseason, but that means nothing. If the Jets are really going to run Ryan’s high-risk, blitz-heavy defense, they have to have Revis. As gifted as cornerback Antonio Cromartie(notes) is, he’s not tough enough to emulate Revis.

If the Jets can’t bridge the gap between what they are offering Revis and what he believes they promised him at the end of last season, he’s not showing up, period.

As in ever again.

At the end of last season, when the Jets were going to the AFC championship game and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was renaming Manhattan “Revis Island,” the Jets were floating on an attention high. When it all came crashing in the loss to Indianapolis, the Jets couldn’t live with the buzzkill. They openly talked about getting Revis, who has three seasons left on his contract, signed to a lifetime deal. Ryan said Revis was the best defensive player in the league. It was an open declaration of love, the kind of wooing you see in Julia Roberts’ movies.

And at that point, the Jets were committed. Owner Woody Johnson can say all he wants about how that was then and this is now, but the fact is that his team made what Revis believed to be a promise. That means a lot to a 25-year-old man who plays a game of furious emotion and passion. This isn’t an abstract business deal.

Revis believes the Jets have toyed with him by making their initial overtures so public. If this had been done privately, Revis would have shown up for training camp even if a new contract hadn’t been agreed upon.

The problem is that love in the NFL is expressed in dollars and the Jets didn’t think this one through. In fact, when the idea of a long-term contract for Revis (10 years) was broached with this reporter months ago, I took all of about 30 seconds to figure out that the approximate number Revis would be looking for was roughly $160 million.

And I’m not exactly a contract negotiator.

What’s strange is that the Jets should have anticipated that. The Jets knew agents Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod well enough to understand that this wasn’t going to be easy if they didn’t take a strong approach. It wasn’t the first time considering Revis held out as a rookie in 2007. It wasn’t when Schwartz and Feinsod were representing former Jets guard Pete Kendall(notes) and tight end Chris Baker.

Schwartz and Feinsod crafted a brilliant contract for Revis the first time, one so good that no other team has ever done it since. Schwartz and Feinsod know leverage and they have certain principles.

More important, Revis has principles, too. If you were Revis and had a pretty good idea that your value isn’t going down anytime soon (there’s plenty of proof of that around the NFL) and you no longer had faith in the Jets, would you ever play for them again? Is that the kind of professional, working marriage you’d want to get into?

His uncle, Sean Gilbert, once sat out an entire year with Washington when he wanted between $4 million and $5 million a year and the Redskins were offering $3.2 million.

After a year away, Gilbert got $7 million a year from Carolina.

Gilbert learned that great players get great money even if they miss an entire season. This year alone, No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford(notes) got $50 million guaranteed even though he was coming off an injury-marred season in which he barely played. Likewise, wide receiver Dez Bryant(notes) and tight end Jermaine Gresham(notes) were both first-round picks this year despite barely playing last season in college.

There are plenty of other examples that feed this notion.

Revis isn’t wrong to ask for a deal that eclipses Oakland cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha’s(notes) $15.17 million average. Beyond the fact that Denver cornerback Champ Bailey(notes) isn’t far behind this year with a base salary of $13 million, any 10-year or long-term deal for that type of money means the deal will be eclipsed numerous times in the coming years. It’s the way the NFL works.

To put it in another perspective, Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning(notes) will soon reset the bar for what the top players in the league are worth. The Colts will be lucky – yes, lucky – to get Manning’s deal done for less than an average of $25 million a year.

And if the top quarterback in the league is worth $25 million a year, what is the top cornerback or defensive end, left tackle or wide receiver – all guys who drastically impact the quarterback – are going to be worth?

There’s going to come a point where $16 million a year for Revis is a decent price.

The Jets can counter that by saying that they’re doing Revis a favor by redoing his contract now, at least one year in advance of free agency. That’s reasonable, but here’s another way of looking at it: If Revis plays out his contract over the next three years, he gets $21 million. The Jets then would be forced to put a franchise tag (assuming the franchise tag still exists) for a minimum of $18 million for 2013 (based on the fact that Revis’ 2012 salary is scheduled to be $15 million.

That’s $39 million over four years, but then the averages start to really jump, going way north of $20 million a year. From that perspective, $16 million a year looks like a good price.

But more important than any of that is a simple fact: Either the Jets get this done or they never have Revis again.

So...it seems pretty safe to say that after three pages of dick-measuring contests and ad hominem attacks, not a single person has read the actual article. Can't say I'm surprised.

I can only assume that people will ignore it again, so let me sum up: there's a lot of vague unattributed talk about Revis feeling betrayed, there's some light psychoanalysis of the "agitated" tone with which Rex speaks about Revis on HK, and there's the conclusion that Revis's holdout may continue into the season and damage his relationship with the Jets. There are no quotes, no sources cited, and nothing more specific than hey-what-if hypotheticals.

http://sports.yahoo....=jc-revis090210

I need to know which side you're on. That way I can yell at you or pat you on the back.

I have read a lot of your posts and I don't recall you ever calling Revis agents liars like you have Tanny. I may have missed something in your 1,000 posts defending Revis, but I don't seem to recall such a statement. You are certainly taking their side of things, and infer they are more credible than the Jets FO.

I don't think this site needs another voice bitching about Revis.

What do you think his people are lying about? Odds are, I probably agree. That's what happens in negotiations - lots of posturing, lots of lies. On both sides.

By Mark J. Miller

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is taking his holdout to a whole new level, according to Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole. His agents are suggesting that Revis is ready to never play for the team again if the Jets don't come up with the kind of cash soon that he wants.

He becomes a free agent next year but wants the team to give him a new deal now that pays him more than league-salary-leading cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha(notes) of the Oakland Raiders who makes $15.17 million average a year.

Cole notes that Revis is saying that he's ready to never play for the Jets "ever again" and he may just sit out the season like his uncle Sean Gilbert once did with the Washington Redskins when he wanted between $4 million and $5 million and the team was "only" offering $3.2 million. Gilbert moved on to the Carolina Panthers the following season for $7 million.

It's looking like Revis may be ready to do the same kind of thing.

A whole new level? Never ever ever? Oooooooh we're shakin in our boots oooooooooooh

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-revis090210

**** Jason Cole!!! **** him up his a$$!!!

Talk about a self-serving, look at me piece by a little-known columnist with an inaccurate, attention grabbing headline.

Our starters have allowed ONE touchdown all preseason, which was a 1 yard drive by the giants after the Sanchez interception. Let Revis sit, I hope we start 4-0 and show him that he isn't our Lebron James. That it is about TEAM not ME-vis.

He holds out for his first contract, fulfills half of it. Holds out for another, he wants 10 years, so judging by his track record if the jets sign him, we should expect another holdout in 5 years. I cannot believe someone can be so selfish and full of themselves that they reject a 122 million dollar offer, probably knowing full well that getting the contract he wants will force other players off the team solely based on money issues, notably David Harris.

But the article itself is irrelevant even worse than the cowlishaw report.

MEvi$ and his flunkies sure talk a lot of smack considering the Jets have all the leverage. As I have said before, the team *owns* his sorry a$$ and seems prepared to move on without him. I do not see the team grabbing their ankles no matter what happens on the field. He's backed them into a corner to his own detriment. $#@! him!

Revis Era in NY Coming to an End?

By Steiny on 03. Sep, 2010

In a new twist in the Darrelle Revis saga, Jason Cole of Yahoo sports is speculating Darrelle Revis may have played his last game in a Jets uniform.

Here’s a little piece of information for Ryan and the rest of the New York Jets: If Revis doesn’t get a new contract soon, New York doesn’t have to worry about the star cornerback showing up. Ever.

As the clock ticks to the beginning of the NFL season, the relationship between the Jets and Revis is ticking toward an end. A divorce, really. That might sound like hysteria to some but it’s reality.

[..]

If the Jets can’t bridge the gap between what they are offering Revis and what he believes they promised him at the end of last season, he’s not showing up, period.

As in ever again.

[..]

To put it in another perspective, Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning will soon reset the bar for what the top players in the league are worth. The Colts will be lucky – yes, lucky – to get Manning’s deal done for less than an average of $25 million a year.

And if the top quarterback in the league is worth $25 million a year, what is the top cornerback or defensive end, left tackle or wide receiver – all guys who drastically impact the quarterback – are going to be worth?

There’s going to come a point where $16 million a year for Revis is a decent price.

The Jets can counter that by saying that they’re doing Revis a favor by redoing his contract now, at least one year in advance of free agency. That’s reasonable, but here’s another way of looking at it: If Revis plays out his contract over the next three years, he gets $21 million. The Jets then would be forced to put a franchise tag (assuming the franchise tag still exists) for a minimum of $18 million for 2013 (based on the fact that Revis’ 2012 salary is scheduled to be $15 million.

That’s $39 million over four years, but then the averages start to really jump, going way north of $20 million a year. From that perspective, $16 million a year looks like a good price.

But more important than any of that is a simple fact: Either the Jets get this done or they never have Revis again.

Wow man, things are getting serious!

I'm not going to do a complete recap for you right now.

I've said many times that I believe Revis should sign a fair deal, and the rumored 10/$122M deal qualifies as that - provided the Jets give him at least $12M in the first year.

I have been adamantly against believing everything the Jets say. Tannenbaum lies for a living.

If Revis doesn't get into camp before week 1 the Jets should honestly pull all offers off of the table and let him play out the existing contract or sit out forever - no new deals, no trades, no nothing. Either Revis plays for $1M or doesn't play again.

I am 34 and the Jets have basically won nothing in my lifetime. 2 division titles I can remember and 2 trips to the AFC championship game - both losses. This is the most optimistic I had ever been going into a season since 1999 and on paper this team is much better.

Revis is 1 of the top 5 players in the NFL and if he costs us our one shot at a Super Bowl I really hope the Jets do whatever they can to make sure he never plays football again.

Revis Era in NY Coming to an End?

By Steiny on 03. Sep, 2010

In a new twist in the Darrelle Revis saga, Jason Cole of Yahoo sports is speculating Darrelle Revis may have played his last game in a Jets uniform.

[..]

As in ever again.

[..]

To put it in another perspective, Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning will soon reset the bar for what the top players in the league are worth. The Colts will be lucky – yes, lucky – to get Manning’s deal done for less than an average of $25 million a year.

Is this a joke?

1. The Jets cannot franchise Revis after 2012.

2. He starts with a stupid premise to all his suppositions: "If Revis plays out his contract over the next three years, he gets $21 million." If that had any shot of happening there would be no news articles or holdouts and the Jets would be happy, not sad.

3. If, in 4 years, he wants $18-20M per year then someone else can have him. The problem isn't what Revis would cost the Jets if he played out his current contract. The problem is that he won't play out his current contract OR the raise on that contract the Jets have offered.

4. Noticed also he showed the downside for the Jets but not for Revis. Holdout after holdout after holdout, if he sticks to his guns until he gets a deal the Jets won't ever offer, then he'll have been out of football for 3 seasons, and then will still be a RFA of the Jets.

I don't think this site needs another voice bitching about Revis.

What do you think his people are lying about? Odds are, I probably agree. That's what happens in negotiations - lots of posturing, lots of lies. On both sides.

Come on Slats - you can do it - repeat after me: Team Revis are liars. Just as easy as saying Tanny is a liar, isn't it?

What are Team Mevis lying about? I won't go back and rehash everything, but some of the more important ones:

1. The Jets haven't offered a reasonable contract.

2. Mevis himself will not hold out again if he signs an extension.

3. Mevis faking an injury

4. Revis stating himself that he would have played out his current contract if the Jets hadn't approached him in the off season about redoing it.

Now if anyone believes number 4, I have some land I want to sell them.

Like it or not Slats most people are going to be against your boy Revis by the simple fact that he is holding out with 3 years left on the contact that he held out for to begin with. You can (and have) spin that any way you want and make excuses, etc., but as the saying goes - that's the fact Jack. Most people are going to see it that way, and that's why 98% of the board is against Mevis.

If Revis doesn't get into camp before week 1 the Jets should honestly pull all offers off of the table and let him play out the existing contract or sit out forever - no new deals, no trades, no nothing. Either Revis plays for $1M or doesn't play again.

I am 34 and the Jets have basically won nothing in my lifetime.

Being punitive doesn't help the Jets. Cutting off your nose to spite your face is no way to run a business. And none of it really has anything to do with you. :P

The Jets -for themselves- either need to get a contract for Revis done, or trade him for maximum value. Letting him rot -no matter how satisfying to the blood-thirsty crowd- gains them nothing.

Being punitive doesn't help the Jets. Cutting off your nose to spite your face is no way to run a business. And none of it really has anything to do with you. :P

The Jets -for themselves- either need to get a contract for Revis done, or trade him for maximum value. Letting him rot -no matter how satisfying to the blood-thirsty crowd- gains them nothing.

Making someone thing real hard about pulling this sh*t again is not nothing.

Come on Slats - you can do it - repeat after me: Team Revis are liars. Just as easy as saying Tanny is a liar, isn't it?

What are Team Mevis lying about? I won't go back and rehash everything, but some of the more important ones:

4. Revis stating himself that he would have played out his current contract if the Jets hadn't approached him in the off season about redoing it.

Like it or not Slats most people are going to be against your boy Revis by the simple fact that he is holding out with 3 years left on the contact that he held out for to begin with. You can (and have) spin that any way you want and make excuses, etc., but as the saying goes - that's the fact Jack. Most people are going to see it that way, and that's why 98% of the board is against Mevis.

I'll put my bridge on that land.

1.) Never heard that - unless by reasonable, they mean a contract with some money upfront. If that's the case, I can't say that was a lie.

2.) Haven't heard that either, but if it was said, it will probably prove to be a lie.

3.) Revis said he faked the injury, no lie there. :lol:

4.) Haven't heard that one, either, but I wouldn't've believed it if I had.

Let me ask you something - do you believe the Jets have offered a 10/$122M contract with $40M guaranteed? If so, how much of that deal do you believe the Jets offered to pay him in the first year?

Archived