Holdout Revis done with Jets forever?

SoFlaJets

Revis is 100x better than Harris and Wilson right now. That's my point, will Revis's trade value ever be higher?

The malcontents in this league aren't as widespread as many believe. Harris and Wilson have proven to be different than Revis already, why? Harris is playing out this year under his current contract and Wilson didn't hold out on his rookie deal. I like to believe, and call me naive, that some players DO want to play football for the love of it and DO want to wear our colors.

And they should be the ones getting rewarded!

Sending another message is dangerous!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Essentially- I do agree with him that trading him wouldn't anger me. But Revis isn't overrated, especially in this scheme. If we cannot get him to sign a new deal or get him on the field to play under his current deal and the result is him sitting out, then I believe trading him is the best thing for the team.

The best case scenario for the Jets is getting Revis on the field.

Second best is getting something of value for him in a trade.

Way, way, way down at the bottom of the list is the letting him rot option. The argument that it will help prevent future holdouts doesn't hold water. The only holdouts the Jets have really dealt with of any consequence have involved Revis. :lol: Who, exactly, would they be sending a future message to? Players know the deal. They know who's elite and who's not. Thomas Jones threatened a holdout last year, but he caved quickly because he knew he wasn't elite. Letting Revis rot isn't going to prevent the next elite player the Jets obtain from holding out if he doesn't like his contract.

Really this is just silly.

The Jets have NEVER had a player as talented as Revis. That doesn't mean you pay him beyond a reasonable level, but assuming that we'll have another "ZOMG BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER EVERZ" is fairly ridiculous since we've never had a player like him before.

Oh no WE won't have another best defensive player everz...the league will...if you pay attention you'll notice that it's rarely the same guy two years in a row.

I want a fair deal done...that'd be best for both the player and the franchise...I'm just not against trading him.

My whole argument is based on the fact that Revis doesn't dress this year. The Jets have publicly stated they are not entertaining offers. If worst comes to worst (won't step on the field) then I say that's when you start entertaining offers. If he chooses not to dress and play for us then that sends me the message he doesn't want to play for us unless we meet his demands. And rather than "let him rot" I'd choose to say, **** him, I'm going to get whatever I can get for you.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "if this becomes a trend".

God I so wish Dan Snyder was still running the Redskins.

Me saying let him rot now, as nothing to do with this. Like I said, I'd rather let him rot then cave to his unreasonable demands.

If a trade offer comes along next year, I would then decide if it was worth doing, but not before then.

I'd rather have a dominant pass rusher than MEvi$ anyway, but I would want more than just draft picks, also.

As for the trend statement, sending a message that this MEvi$ type behavior...

(faking injury, holding out for deals you then hold on on with 3 years to go) will lead to either a mega deal or a trade can lead to someone doing this every year.

That would do more damage to the future than 1 trade would do good. Again tell me how good the trade offers would be if this happened every year?

You can't give the players all the cards and expect to win, once other teams see that you have no move but to trade a malcontent, they are not going to offer much.

Essentially- I do agree with him that trading him wouldn't anger me. But Revis isn't overrated, especially in this scheme. If we cannot get him to sign a new deal or get him on the field to play under his current deal and the result is him sitting out, then I believe trading him is the best thing for the team.

Vic in our scheme, QB's may not get sacked alot but they are ALWAYS hurried. Any good agressive CB that can play bump and run can basicly cut cut the field in half making it that much harder for a QB to complete a pass to his top WR (who is usually first in his progression). Due to the relentless Pressure, most QB's are forced to either check down or go to thier second and third options making it easier for a solid corner to cover the best WR on the field. This is why Manning destroyed us last year because had a great slot reciever and one of the best H-Backs in the game in Dallas Clark. Revis surely can shut down the top WR's but how much of that is due to the scheme and timing ? I do not think Revis can put up numbers anywhere close to last years in a straight up defense, Its not possible IMO. While Revis may have a 2 - 3 second clock in his head due to relentless blitzing pressure other CB's simply do not have that luxery.

Oh no WE won't have another best defensive player everz...the league will...if you pay attention you'll notice that it's rarely the same guy two years in a row.

I want a fair deal done...that'd be best for both the player and the franchise...I'm just not against trading him.

The only team I care about having elite players is the Jets.

I should be ok with losing an elite player (even if he's not the 'best everz') because the league will be onto the next guy next year?

Most of those 'best player everz' are still pretty good and helping their teams win, much like Revis would this year.

And they should be the ones getting rewarded!

Sending another message is dangerous!

I bolded slats statement as it echoes what I think about it

Way, way, way down at the bottom of the list is the letting him rot option. The argument that it will help prevent future holdouts doesn't hold water. The only holdouts the Jets have really dealt with of any consequence have involved Revis. :lol: Who, exactly, would they be sending a future message to? Players know the deal. They know who's elite and who's not. Thomas Jones threatened a holdout last year, but he caved quickly because he knew he wasn't elite. Letting Revis rot isn't going to prevent the next elite player the Jets obtain from holding out if he doesn't like his contract.

Agreed entirely. Also a players standing/reputation is going to have an effect on how they handle the contract. I highly doubt you see Santonio act like an a$$ during the year due to his reputation. He's missing 4 games because of his own stupidity, and he realizes that if wants to get paid he has to behave. Braylon has done the same thing. Granted, they will be FA it still illustrates to me that players know the deal. Revis had a good reputation. Everyone saw him as a hardworker, put his time in the gym and an insane amount of time in film study. He wasn't outspoken, he played hard. Everything you want in a player. I don't believe he's wrong in wanting a new deal an I agree wholeheartedly that option 1 is getting him back on the field, in a Jets uniform. But not at his asking price, it's just too much.

Anyways, I do agree players know the deal. David Harris isn't going to just suddenly change his tune. Look at Kellen Clemens and the paycut he just took.

This is true, but the decline for those "best players" isn't as steep as you're making it out to be. Guys like DeMarcus Ware, Patrick Willis and Haloti Ngata take a back seat to Revis right now, but they're still top 5 defensive players. I don't think Revis, barring an injury, will fall below a top 5 defensive player any time soon.

And as rare as these types of players are, its even more rare that these "best" players are on your team. Imagine the sickening feeling of watching Revis dominate OUR receivers?

It would be WORSE than Knicks fans having to watch Michael Jordan beat them senseless in every meeting, because in this analogy, it would be like the Knicks at one time HAVING Michael Jordan.

The best case scenario for the Jets is getting Revis on the field.

Second best is getting something of value for him in a trade.

Cute, so tell me how many other times has this happened? Not just to the Jets, but league wide.

How many other players held out for a deal, they then held out on with 3 years to go, and were then either signed to a mega deal or traded?

Acting like you know what would happen, when this has never happened before is foolish.

As is thinking the next elite player, would not think twice if MEvi$ was sitting on the shelf for the next 3-4 years.

So if they caved, or traded him, it would have no bearing on what future elite players would do, right?

Tell me about it.

This is true, but the decline for those "best players" isn't as steep as you're making it out to be. Guys like DeMarcus Ware, Patrick Willis and Haloti Ngata take a back seat to Revis right now, but they're still top 5 defensive players. I don't think Revis, barring an injury, will fall below a top 5 defensive player any time soon.

And as rare as these types of players are, its even more rare that these "best" players are on your team. Imagine the sickening feeling of watching Revis dominate OUR receivers?

It would be WORSE than Knicks fans having to watch Michael Jordan beat them senseless in every meeting, because in this analogy, it would be like the Knicks at one time HAVING Michael Jordan.

While this is true it's not as if we can't trade him to a non-issue team. I mean Denver never won anything with Bailey in his prime...neither did Washington for trading him so I'll stfu.

I like Revis...I want him on the team...I even kind of admire what he's standing for with this holdout...that said, it's annoying and the season is starting soon enough.

Me saying let him rot now, as nothing to do with this. Like I said, I'd rather let him rot then cave to his unreasonable demands.

If a trade offer comes along next year, I would then decide if it was worth doing, but not before then.

I'd rather have a dominant pass rusher than MEvi$ anyway, but I would want more than just draft picks, also.

As for the trend statement, sending a message that this MEvi$ type behavior...

(faking injury, holding out for deals you then hold on on with 3 years to go) will lead to either a mega deal or a trade can lead to someone doing this every year.

That would do more damage to the future than 1 trade would do good. Again tell me how good the trade offers would be if this happened every year?

You can't give the players all the cards and expect to win, once other teams see that you have no move but to trade a malcontent, they are not going to offer much.

I just think we have differing opinions on players. I said it once before, I rejected an offer from my job and asked for more due to the market value and got it. That's the kind of guy I am. Plenty of other people in my department just take the raise they're given. I had a couple of co-workers ask me what I got and I told them the truth, no one replicated what I did. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't know, getting younger and getting quality picks can help a franchise go a LOOOOOONG way. And my whole point is, no trade offer that we will get will be as good as we can get for Darrelle Revis if he holds out. Not for Harris, not for Wilson, nobody on this roster. We have to trade him while his value is still high. For example, Santonio's value dropped after his suspensions and bad behavior and we stole him for a ham sandwich... because his value was low. It's my opinion that if you let him rot for a full year, his value goes down. That's why if he doesn't dress for the first few games I start shopping him hard.

I'm not certain he will have the same dominant year. That's why I'm against paying him stupid money. I'm also against trading him at this point.

I'm for locking Tannenbaum, Revis, and his agents in a room and not letting them out until a fair deal is reached. One that involves some legitimate guaranteed money, but one that also averages significantly less than 16M per year.

Eric in our scheme he will be dominant

Vic in our scheme, QB's may not get sacked alot but they are ALWAYS hurried. Any good agressive CB that can play bump and run can basicly cut cut the field in half making it that much harder for a QB to complete a pass to his top WR (who is usually first in his progression). Due to the relentless Pressure, most QB's are forced to either check down or go to thier second and third options making it easier for a solid corner to cover the best WR on the field. This is why Manning destroyed us last year because had a great slot reciever and one of the best H-Backs in the game in Dallas Clark. Revis surely can shut down the top WR's but how much of that is due to the scheme and timing ? I do not think Revis can put up numbers anywhere close to last years in a straight up defense, Its not possible IMO. While Revis may have a 2 - 3 second clock in his head due to relentless blitzing pressure other CB's simply do not have that luxery.

This is right in the sense of the QB being hurried. But I disagree with the fact you can put "any good aggressive CB" in there and get the same results. Revis took away the home run option that is out there when you play a top-tier receiver/QB combo and you send a lot of pressure. All these receivers need is a step, if our scheme were so easy to use, you'd see tons of people taking that Ravens D when Rex was D-coordinator and replicating it. That isn't the case, I'm not saying Revis is the SOLE REASON we can do it, but he is a reason as to why it is successful. Denying that he doesn't have a major part in the D is like saying Ed Reed is easily replaceable. JMO

As is thinking the next elite player, would not think twice if MEvi$ was sitting on the shelf for the next 3-4 years.

So if they caved, or traded him, it would have no bearing on what future elite players would do, right?

Tell me about it.

I don't think it would have any effect on the next guy's willingness to stage a holdout at all.

If it even had the slightest effect, I don't see how that supposed benefit to the letting him rot concept could possibly outweigh, in any way, shape, or form, the value that the team could get back in a trade for Revis. This questionable message to the hypothetical holdout of the future is worth the pro bowler and/or high picks the Jets would get in a Revis trade? Really?

C'mon!

Why does sh*t like this always seem to happen to the NYJETS? This reminds me of the BB hiring and quitting all within 1 day. Im so aggravated with this Revis situation as im sure many others are. This was supposed to be our year and now this. DAMMIT

I was thinking the same thing, you just knew something had to happen.

if the Jets trade the best player they've had since joe willy...cause they dont want to pay him... man... i'll be speechless.

It all depends on the "at what price" argument. There are so many insane, stupid little factors that are going into this that it's the reason I believe most people are so divided on it. I don't trade him now. But if by week 3 he isn't back... I'd start listening to what I can get for him.

what is this worst case scenario everyone is concerned about? overpaying Revis?

Paying this player too much? who cares? It's not the first time Woody's overpaid for something.

that dude spent 800 million on a Stadium that probably ran over budget by a factor of 100%.

I just think we have differing opinions on players. I said it once before, I rejected an offer from my job and asked for more due to the market value and got it. That's the kind of guy I am. Plenty of other people in my department just take the raise they're given. I had a couple of co-workers ask me what I got and I told them the truth, no one replicated what I did. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't know, getting younger and getting quality picks can help a franchise go a LOOOOOONG way. And my whole point is, no trade offer that we will get will be as good as we can get for Darrelle Revis if he holds out. Not for Harris, not for Wilson, nobody on this roster. We have to trade him while his value is still high. For example, Santonio's value dropped after his suspensions and bad behavior and we stole him for a ham sandwich... because his value was low. It's my opinion that if you let him rot for a full year, his value goes down. That's why if he doesn't dress for the first few games I start shopping him hard.

That seems to be the case on jobs all over, I walked out on jobs people dreamed of having, so you are preaching to the choir there.

If everybody knows the Jets have no choice but to trade him, none of the offers are going to be good anyway.

If everybody knows in a situation like this the Jets are just going to move a guy, they'll never get a good offer.

They will be taken advantage of, just like those poor schmucks at your job.

Like I said I'd have to see the deal first, before I'd decide to trade him.

I'm not saying I would not, but until then, I'd let him rot before I would sign him to his unreasonable demands.

This is right in the sense of the QB being hurried. But I disagree with the fact you can put "any good aggressive CB" in there and get the same results. Revis took away the home run option that is out there when you play a top-tier receiver/QB combo and you send a lot of pressure. All these receivers need is a step, if our scheme were so easy to use, you'd see tons of people taking that Ravens D when Rex was D-coordinator and replicating it. That isn't the case, I'm not saying Revis is the SOLE REASON we can do it, but he is a reason as to why it is successful. Denying that he doesn't have a major part in the D is like saying Ed Reed is easily replaceable. JMO

Yeah but keep in mind Vic when your a QB and your first progression is getting beat up at the LOS your already on to your next progression. The biggest stat I saw from Revis above all others was the 31 passes defensed, thats what makes him so great because he took the quick slants away as well. You really didnt see Revis making alot of plays down field because he already did his job. I would think if you got the top 10 CB's in the NFL they may put up comparable numbers while doing what Rex asked them to do just like Revis. Its really a tough call.

I still think Revis is going to play and he has his agents on a time table.

I personally would rather see a 5 year 60 - 65 mil deal done than a 10 year deal.

Paying this player too much? who cares? It's not the first time Woody's overpaid for something.

that dude spent 800 million on a Stadium that probably ran over budget by a factor of 100%.

Ummm, you know there's this thing called the salary cap right? And you're dreaming if you don't think there will be one next year, or the year after the strike.

Sean Gilbert wasn't wrong. He was a FA, who was slapped with the franchise tag and didn't like it. He was allowed to not sign the tender.

Darelle Revis, on the other hand, is under contract for 3 more years... a contract HE HELD OUT to get.

Amen. I can only hope that he doesn't get to play another down or make another penny for the next 3 years. Let him squander away his prime come back at, what, 28, need a year to get his legs back and THEN at a whopping 29 lets see how good he is and how much money he makes.

Yeah but keep in mind Vic when your a QB and your first progression is getting beat up at the LOS your already on to your next progression. The biggest stat I saw from Revis above all others was the 31 passes defensed, thats what makes him so great because he took the quick slants away as well. You really didnt see Revis making alot of plays down field because he already did his job. I would think if you got the top 10 CB's in the NFL they may put up comparable numbers while doing what Rex asked them to do just like Revis. Its really a tough call.

I still think Revis is going to play and he has his agents on a time table.

I personally would rather see a 5 year 60 - 65 mil deal done than a 10 year deal.

Absolutely. I didn't even want to get into how he takes away the short stuff to because, without being cliche, he really did "shutdown" parts of the field. I just don't think that ability is something every "good" CB has. Good CB's can thrive in this system. Great CB's define it.

I agree on the deal. I have to say though, I agree with one sentiment of the anti-Revis crowd is what is to say he won't hold out in another 2 years. That's the thing that's got me most bothered about forking over any substantial guaranteed money to him. I think the thing that irritated me most about this article is the heaping praise they laid on his agents. Why is it that his clients are such malcontents? Isn't V-Jax in SD a holdout as well? I do believe Revis should get paid, but like I said... at what price. I think I'm more in the middle about this than some of the people on the board.

I don't think it would have any effect on the next guy's willingness to stage a holdout at all.

If it even had the slightest effect, I don't see how that supposed benefit to the letting him rot concept could possibly outweigh, in any way, shape, or form, the value that the team could get back in a trade for Revis. This questionable message to the hypothetical holdout of the future is worth the pro bowler and/or high picks the Jets would get in a Revis trade? Really?

C'mon!

So what you think is some how more credible than what I think, even though you could not come up with one similar scenario. League wide!

Obviously you are not a player or an agent?

News flash, what's going to matter is what they think, and if you think, they are not going to use any bit of leverage they possibly can to get what they want, then you're just not paying attention.

Like I said, several times I'd have to see the deal to make that determination, and that does not mean it would not lead to more of this in the future.

Of course it would effect future player's willingness to hold out, if they had multiple years left on their contract. If it's a normal holdout in the last year of a guy's contract, then it's not going to deter them though.

If Revis believed for a second the Jets would really "let him rot" then he would be signing their best deal right now. They know it's not smart business value-wise for the Jets though.

If he sits out a game that we lose, I would love to see him get ****ed over; but we could trade him for a #2 CB and picks, and then sign Harris or Cro. And that's more important than seeing him wilt away.

Yea, that stadium build is killing our cap room.

Let's compare apples to sky scrapers next. :blink:

Hey slats, still say there is nobody in the pay MEvi$ whatever crowd?

Check Disney and the Bronx too.

Is there a good chance of a salary cap in stadium construction?

Let me clarify what I was trying to say here, as I guess it's confusing and I will edit my post:

Anyone that believes Revis would have played out his contract as is if the Jets never approached him about reworking it is clueless.

Of course it would effect future player's willingness to hold out, if they had multiple years left on their contract. If it's a normal holdout in the last year of a guy's contract, then it's not going to deter them though.

If Revis believed for a second the Jets would really "let him rot" then he would be signing their best deal right now. They know it's not smart business value-wise for the Jets though.

If he sits out a game that we lose, I would love to see him get ****ed over; but we could trade him for a #2 CB and picks, and then sign Harris or Cro. And that's more important than seeing him wilt away.

That I can agree with, but I'm sure you can see how doing so, could lead to this happening over and over again.

Let me clarify what I was trying to say here, as I guess it's confusing and I will edit my post:

Anyone that believes Revis would have played out his contract as is if the Jets never approached him about reworking it is clueless.

That's what I got. :D

By the way, is it that crazy to think the Jets more or less knew he was going to hold out the entire year?

I mean, Cromartie AND Wilson...

I think there might be alot of credence to this. Tanny knows his agents and their history. I wouldn't doubt that it played at least a small part in both moves.

Archived