Green Bay knew what to expect from us.

ToonTime

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Brian Schottenheimer’s play calls didn’t surprise the Green Bay secondary on Sunday.

Packers defensive backs basically said the Jets' play selection was stale. Most of what they saw on the field Sunday, they’d already seen during film study earlier in the week.

“We saw a lot of it on tape, so we were able to go out there and recognize a couple formations and make a couple big plays,” Packers safety Nick Collins said.

Green Bay corner Tramon Williams said he was able to secure a second-quarter interception thanks to film-study. Williams said he recognized Jerricho Cotchery’s route based on the Jets’ formation moments before he wrestled the ball from Cotchery on a third-and-11 to force the turnover. Referees credited Williams with an interception.

“I recognized the formation … and that’s exactly what it was,” Williams said.

Rex Ryan challenged the call, even though overturning it would have left the Jets with a 4th and 8 from Green Bay 41. The call was upheld, leaving the Jets without any challenges in the second half.

For much of the game, Mark Sanchez’s decision-making was eerily similar to his performance in the Jets’ season-opening loss to Baltimore. He seemed to be settling for the underneath route and shying away from taking a shot down field.

“I don’t think they trusted Sanchez, their coaching staff,” Collins said. “They only had a select few plays that they ran; that’s what I saw today. ... A quarterback like that on a great team with all the big names, you expect them to be going down field.”

The Packers' defense came into Sunday’s game allowing 250.7 passing yards per game, good for 14th in the league. Sanchez threw for 256 yards, completing 16 of 38 attempts. The second of his two costly picks came early in the fourth quarter with the Jets driving in Green Bay territory.

Sanchez completed a pass to Dustin Keller, but Charles Woodson appeared to rip the ball away from Keller after the tight end appeared to be down. The referees ruled it an interception. The questionable call should have been challenged by the Jets, but they were out of red flags after Ryan lost two challenges in the first half.

Woodson claimed afterward he made the pick -- which led to a Packers’ field goal -- cleanly. He also credited the Packers' rushing defense for forcing the Jets to go to the air, allowing the defensive backs to make plays against a struggling Sanchez.

Said Woodson: “We frustrated [sanchez] enough and kept good coverage and there wasn’t a whole lot he could do.”

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Brian Schottenheimer’s play calls didn’t surprise the Green Bay secondary on Sunday.

Packers defensive backs basically said the Jets' play selection was stale. Most of what they saw on the field Sunday, they’d already seen during film study earlier in the week.

“We saw a lot of it on tape, so we were able to go out there and recognize a couple formations and make a couple big plays,” Packers safety Nick Collins said.

Green Bay corner Tramon Williams said he was able to secure a second-quarter interception thanks to film-study. Williams said he recognized Jerricho Cotchery’s route based on the Jets’ formation moments before he wrestled the ball from Cotchery on a third-and-11 to force the turnover. Referees credited Williams with an interception.

Further nausea sets in...

And yet, if these loser WRs hold onto the ball, Sanchez is 23/38 for 300+ yards and no INTs (who knows if he adds TDs or even more yardage).

But if that's not an indictment on the OC I don't know what is. The Packers D has no incentive to lie about this or trash the Jets.

And yet, if these loser WRs hold onto the ball, Sanchez is 23/38 for 300+ yards and no INTs (who knows if he adds TDs or even more yardage).

But if that's not an indictment on the OC I don't know what is. The Packers D has no incentive to lie about this or trash the Jets.

To play that game you might as well say if GB's loser defenders could hold onto the ball they'd have won by even more because they dropped a couple of passes so horrible you'd think Sanchez was trying to throw picks on purpose. At least two more last game vs Denver as well. They caught what they caught and didn't catch what they didn't catch.

What you mean to say is, "If only the Jets had caught the passes they dropped combined with Green Bay not catching any of the passes they dropped..."

Sanchez blew. The receivers blew. The playcalling blew. Max blew. Only one of these 4 things was intended.

@nyjfanaticYes they sure did I agree 100%..did not expect much from this game to begin with.

Rex Ryan challenged the call, even though overturning it would have left the Jets with a 4th and 8 from Green Bay 41. The call was upheld, leaving the Jets without any challenges in the second half.

For much of the game, Mark Sanchez’s decision-making was eerily similar to his performance in the Jets’ season-opening loss to Baltimore. He seemed to be settling for the underneath route and shying away from taking a shot down field.

“I don’t think they trusted Sanchez, their coaching staff,” Collins said. “They only had a select few plays that they ran; that’s what I saw today. ... A quarterback like that on a great team with all the big names, you expect them to be going down field.”

The Packers' defense came into Sunday’s game allowing 250.7 passing yards per game, good for 14th in the league. Sanchez threw for 256 yards, completing 16 of 38 attempts. The second of his two costly picks came early in the fourth quarter with the Jets driving in Green Bay territory.

Sanchez completed a pass to Dustin Keller, but Charles Woodson appeared to rip the ball away from Keller after the tight end appeared to be down. The referees ruled it an interception. The questionable call should have been challenged by the Jets, but they were out of red flags after Ryan lost two challenges in the first half.

Woodson claimed afterward he made the pick -- which led to a Packers’ field goal -- cleanly. He also credited the Packers' rushing defense for forcing the Jets to go to the air, allowing the defensive backs to make plays against a struggling Sanchez.

Said Woodson: “We frustrated [sanchez] enough and kept good coverage and there wasn’t a whole lot he could do.”

The defense played great but overall they aren't getting the sack numbers any of us had hoped for. The Packers spread them out, they tried some two wide receiver sets early in the game. Then quickly adjusted to spread the Jets out.

Like I said the Jets defense played as well as you could realistically expect but I would think that is the game plan against the Jets going forward.

The defense played great but overall they aren't getting the sack numbers any of us had hoped for. The Packers spread them out, they tried some two wide receiver sets early in the game. Then quickly adjusted to spread the Jets out.

Like I said the Jets defense played as well as you could realistically expect but I would think that is the game plan against the Jets going forward.

I was extremely bothered by the fact that they pulled Ellis in favor of Pryce and Taylor on passing downs. Ellis is better than both of those guys at this point. Taylor needs to be a backup-only type player now.

I was extremely bothered by the fact that they pulled Ellis in favor of Pryce and Taylor on passing downs. Ellis is better than both of those guys at this point. Taylor needs to be a backup-only type player now.

Merriman is the answer. I dont see a dominant pass rusher on this team.

Excellent job by the Packers to game plan for 7 drops by the Jets, including 3 in a row by Cotchery.

That's brilliant defensive coaching.

Your right. They obviously were doing something to have Cotchery get targeted more than Edwards the entire game :blink:

Schotty had a terrible game and the WRs were no better. But for christ sakes I've said like a broken record (and thought I'd never say this before this week) Braylon Edwards is a necessary component to our passing success and needs to get the ball 3-5 times per game to help our rushing attack. Call me crazy or whatever, but in our 2 losses Edwards has 2 Rec for 40 yards TOTAL. A healthy dose of him and Keller compliments the running attack and vice versa

Your right. They obviously were doing something to have Cotchery get targeted more than Edwards the entire game :blink:

Schotty had a terrible game and the WRs were no better. But for christ sakes I've said like a broken record (and thought I'd never say this before this week) Braylon Edwards is a necessary component to our passing success and needs to get the ball 3-5 times per game to help our rushing attack. Call me crazy or whatever, but in our 2 losses Edwards has 2 Rec for 40 yards TOTAL. A healthy dose of him and Keller compliments the running attack and vice versa

No, I think you are right. I had thought Holmes was more reliable but now I am changing my mind on that. Braylon's only problem is really that he drops the ball a bunch and runs bad routes a lot. But Santonio has all these concentration issues with drops and fumbles himself. Plus I am a big fan of Braylon's run blocking. I think he might be the best run blocking WR in the league.

Get the guy involved and get him involved early. The Jets CS fell in love with Holmes because he's a better route runner and is kind of smarter in terms of football IQ usually, but they should go back to Braylon instead and use Holmes more as a complement. This offense should run through Braylon and LT, with Keller and Holmes being secondary guys.

Taylor didn't have a good game. And I thought they would be able to get to Rodgers....

No, I think you are right. I had thought Holmes was more reliable but now I am changing my mind on that. Braylon's only problem is really that he drops the ball a bunch and runs bad routes a lot. But Santonio has all these concentration issues with drops and fumbles himself. Plus I am a big fan of Braylon's run blocking. I think he might be the best run blocking WR in the league.

Get the guy involved and get him involved early. The Jets CS fell in love with Holmes because he's a better route runner and is kind of smarter in terms of football IQ usually, but they should go back to Braylon instead and use Holmes more as a complement. This offense should run through Braylon and LT, with Keller and Holmes being secondary guys.

I think everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY in the organization is on the Santonio hype machine. Listen, the guy can ball no doubt. He's got a hell of a skill set and is known for big time plays. But in Pittsburgh's offense last year he was NOT the focal point that Ds worried about. Despite his huge #s he was a product of Big Ben. Coordinators knew about him and his explosiveness, but were more worried about stopping the run and being able to contain Big Ben from improvising. Holmes was/is a GREAT WR for a guy like Ben (and when Sanchez) improvises and stretches plays.

Edwards on the other hand has really started to mold in with this team IMO. Hollywood (See: playmaker) leaving was definitely a good start, and since the DWI he has been nothing short of a model citizen and great teammate. I know we're not a WR screen team, but why not use high % pass plays to get him the ball? At this point if we had to chose between Holmes and Edwards getting a long term deal, it would be hard not to learn toward Edwards

It's called throwing it to the open receiver. The Packers had Woodson on Braylon most of the game. Cotchery was open and simply dropped the ball.

That said, I agree with you that Braylon needs to be more of a focus.

The Jets had 7 drops today, 4 by Cotchery alone. And that doesn't even include the 2 bogus INTs. NINE positive pass plays were done in by the incompetence of the receivers and the refs.

Taylor didn't have a good game. And I thought they would be able to get to Rodgers....

I hated the fact that they seemed to be putting him over the center or guard on the pass rush. I know GBs interior is somewhat weak, but you have to pressure their tackles, specifically their rookie right tackle who is like a turnstile. They never challenged him at all.

It's called throwing it to the open receiver. The Packers had Woodson on Braylon most of the game. Cotchery was open and simply dropped the ball.

That said, I agree with you that Braylon needs to be more of a focus.

The Jets had 7 drops today, 4 by Cotchery alone. And that doesn't even include the 2 bogus INTs. NINE positive pass plays were done in by the incompetence of the receivers and the refs.

No clue what happened to Braylon today. Woodson isnt having a great year. Number 1s are averaging 5 receptions for 74 YPG against the Packers. Edwards only got 4 looks all day. Either they had him on fly routes all day long or he just stunk today. Cotcherys stats blew away what the slot guys normally do against GB. The problem was they had to throw to him about 15 times to get a few catches to produce the statline. Maybe the gameplan was to take advantage of a Cotchery mismatch but once he continued to show no chemistry with Sanchez they should have played to the strength of the Jets and weakness of the Packers. They didnt do it.

No clue what happened to Braylon today. Woodson isnt having a great year. Number 1s are averaging 5 receptions for 74 YPG against the Packers. Edwards only got 4 looks all day. Either they had him on fly routes all day long or he just stunk today. Cotcherys stats blew away what the slot guys normally do against GB. The problem was they had to throw to him about 15 times to get a few catches to produce the statline. Maybe the gameplan was to take advantage of a Cotchery mismatch but once he continued to show no chemistry with Sanchez they should have played to the strength of the Jets and weakness of the Packers. They didnt do it.

Which is on Schotty and Sanchez.

Which is on Schotty and Sanchez.

Probably so. Clearly he was open on what would have been a 80+ yard TD. I dont know if he was even on the screen most plays because he runs so deep though. Daryl Johnston, who I thought had a great game announcing, did make a strong point about how the Jets receivers never try to bail out Sanchez when the play breaks down. I hadnt really though about it, but it is true. You never see guys coming back to him. They just run down the field stop and either stand there or wave their hand and take off further down the field. Thats bad coaching.

Probably so. Clearly he was open on what would have been a 80+ yard TD. I dont know if he was even on the screen most plays because he runs so deep though. Daryl Johnston, who I thought had a great game announcing, did make a strong point about how the Jets receivers never try to bail out Sanchez when the play breaks down. I hadnt really though about it, but it is true. You never see guys coming back to him. They just run down the field stop and either stand there or wave their hand and take off further down the field. Thats bad coaching.

Daryl Johnston had a good game, except when he contradicted himself in the 4th.

In the 1st, all the announcers (I disagreed big time, even if weatherford ran for a TD) thought the fake was a good idea because the worst we give up is 3 because Rex has big time confidence in our D. I disagreed because I thought this was going to be a low scoring affair.

In the 4th, he started saying the call was a bad one.

It can't be good a second after it happens and bad 2 hours later.

The blue print is out, this coaching staff better make some adjustments offensively. However, if the WR's catch the ball Jets win this game.

Thats what really pisses me off about this loss. Despite everything else, the bad play calling and the shaky QB work, if our supposedly "beastly" receiving corp could just catch half of those drops, then we probably win.

Daryl Johnston had a good game, except when he contradicted himself in the 4th.

In the 1st, all the announcers (I disagreed big time, even if weatherford ran for a TD) thought the fake was a good idea because the worst we give up is 3 because Rex has big time confidence in our D. I disagreed because I thought this was going to be a low scoring affair.

In the 4th, he started saying the call was a bad one.

It can't be good a second after it happens and bad 2 hours later.

Good point. Id probably give the Fox announcers a little pass on something like that since they rarely cover the Jets and are mainly going based on the assumption that the Jets score 27 PPG. By games end having seen the team play firsthand he probably wonders how the team ever scored 14 PPG which clouds his judgement. Still thats a huge contradiction. Im with you on it though. Its a terrible play regardless of the outcome. No reward to it at all and a big risk.

His offense is predictable. All that shifting and its still the same damn predictable offense.

That said, if they players make the plays today, we win. As much as I love to bash Schotty, it was more on execution than his play calling.

Pretty much, but we are not winning and rings with a stale offense.

when you score zero points in a game, there is more than one problem. Poor passes, dropped balls and playcalling all contributed to this loss. The poor passes and dropped balls can be attributed to rust from the week off. Not making excuses but okay, maybe I am making excuses. However, for us to come off a bye week and have an opponent know what routes we were running on certain formations is inexcusable. Come up with some new isht in 2 weeks. I hope this lights a fire under our offense like our week 1 showing.

As far as our defense and wanting merriman? I dont see it. Our defense played well. I am not sure why we looked so confused in the secondary at times. We knew they would run 4 receiver sets right? It looked to me like some peeps didnt know who they were supposed to cover when the ball was snapped. Revis prevented a pick by knocking down that pass over the middle that Poole had an easy pic on.

Either way, it is a loss to a non conference team. As much as I would have liked us to go 15-1 in the regular season I wouldnt have bet my house on it.

I'd take 9 points every week.

Hell, I'd play that game over again 100 times and give them 9 points.

I'd take 9 points every week.

Hell, I'd play that game over again 100 times and give them 9 points.

A great defense gets its struggling offense a turnover in a game like that though, and either brings it to the house, or sets them up on the doorstep.

This defense does not impose its will on anybody, and counts on everyone doing their job simultaneously.

Archived