Sanchez called the game winning play?

serphnx

Apparently Sanchez and Braylon vetoed Schitty for that big pass play before the FG.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14526776/colts-coaching-decision-proves-fatal-and-mystifying

Colts coaching decision proves fatal ... and mystifying

By Gregg Doyel

CBSSports.com National Columnist

Jan. 9, 2011Tell Gregg your opinion!

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Jets beat the Colts 17-16 on Nick Folk's 32-yard field goal as time expired Saturday, advancing the Jets to the AFC semifinals. Folk's kick started inside the right upright, began to slice outside, then drew comfortably back for the winning points.

Those are the facts of the kick, but if that's all you know about the kick that ended one season while extending another, you're missing something. You're missing perhaps the biggest thing, because that final kick was never going to happen. Not from point-blank, 32-yard range. It wasn't going to be that easy for Folk until the key coaching decision of this game.

A coaching decision by the Colts.

A brutal mistake by the Colts.

True story. Sad, but true. The Indianapolis sideline rescued the Jets sideline, because the Jets were prepared to win or lose with a long field goal by Folk. A lot longer than 32 yards, I mean. With 36 seconds left, that was the decision from coach Rex Ryan: Play for a field goal of 50-something yards. It was a curious decision -- but then, Rex Ryan has curious thoughts when it comes to feet.

The Jets had the ball at the Indianapolis 34 with one timeout and 36 seconds left. Folk already had told Ryan he felt good kicking from the Colts' 35, but that was typical Jets bravado. Folk felt good from the 35? Really? That would be a 53-yard field goal, and on the season Folk was 2-for-5 on kicks of 50 yards or longer.

"I told them the 35 was good for me," Folk said.

That's what Folk said, so that's what Ryan accepted. On first down from the 34, Ryan called for a running play toward the middle of the field. LaDainian Tomlinson gained two yards. That left the ball at the Colts' 32, which left Folk looking at a 50-yarder.

"We were trying to center the ball for me," Folk said. "Get it off the hash mark."

With 29 seconds and one timeout left, the Jets were going to call one last play, another run, when the Colts did the damndest thing. They called timeout.

Given time to get the right play, the Jets talked it out. It was a group effort. New York considered calling another running play anyway, but 6-foot-3 receiver Braylon Edwards objected. Since the Colts had given New York time to talk it out, Edwards noted that he was being single-covered by 5-10 Colts cornerback Jacob Lacey. He wanted the ball.

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer relented, and suggested a certain pass play. This time, quarterback Mark Sanchez objected. (Told you -- this was a group effort.) Anyway, Schottenheimer relented a second time.

Here, Mark, he told Sanchez. You call the play.

No animosity. All trust. Schottenheimer trusted Sanchez to call a play that would work, and Sanchez called a streak to Edwards down the right sideline. It worked -- easily, with Edwards rising high above Lacey for the catch -- for 18 yards. The clock ran down to three seconds, and the Jets called their final timeout.

Now Folk was staring at a 32-yard field goal. As I told you earlier, Folk was just 2-for-5 on the season from 50 yards and longer. But guess what he was on kicks of less than 40 yards.

He was 14-for-16.

Make that 15-for-17.

Folk drilled the 32-yarder, and Lucas Oil Stadium went quiet. On the Colts sideline, they had to be second-guessing the timeout that bought the Jets another passing play, and bought Folk another 18 yards closer to the uprights. Well, that's what you might think. But you'd be wrong.

Even with 15 minutes after the game to think about it, Colts coach Jim Caldwell announced to the media that he was determined to call that timeout. He wanted the Jets -- who were looking at a 50-yard field goal, remember -- to run one more play before trying the winning kick. Why? Well, I don't know why. I can't make any sense of it. Here's the entirety of what Caldwell said when he was asked if he thought the Jets were going to run down the clock before taking a 50-yard field goal.

You make sense of it.

"I didn't care [if they were]," Caldwell said. "I was going to make sure they couldn't. Make them snap the ball. They were in field goal range."

Sorry, but I have to interrupt to remind you that the Jets were in 40-percent field goal range. That's what 2-for-5 is. It's 40 percent. Back to Caldwell.

"They were in field goal range," he was saying. "So we wanted to try to make them snap the ball as many times as they possibly could. Wasn't going to let them just sit there and take [the clock] down. So [we] used a timeout in that situation."

As a professional writer, trained to use words, here's my reaction to that:

Huh?

What?

Maybe Caldwell thought the Jets would fumble a snap. Maybe he thought Sanchez would throw an interception. Maybe, Caldwell thought, if the Jets kept snapping the ball the darned thing would run out of air. Game over, on account of flat football.

That's silly, but so was Caldwell's decision. The Jets were going to settle for a less than 50-50 proposition. The Colts forced them to reconsider. It took a village, but the Jets reconsidered and threw the pass that set up Folk.

Fifteen minutes later, Caldwell hadn't seen the error of his ways.

He'll have plenty of time to think about it now.

For more from Gregg Doyel, check him out on Twitter: @greggdoyelcbs

Cromartie's kick return won that game for the Jets. The passs to Braylon was awesome, but only because Braylon has a 42" vertical leap.

Cro's kick return def helped set up that drive. I'd like to see him and Smith back there for the rest of playoffs. Guy can def run, it's a shame his footwork sucks as evident on that Garcon TD.

"They were in field goal range," he was saying. "So we wanted to try to make them snap the ball as many times as they possibly could. Wasn't going to let them just sit there and take [the clock] down. So [we] used a timeout in that situation."

which would lead to a run, in his mind. the jets were averaging 5 yards a carry vs 8 (and 9 !) man fronts, and this idiot wanted to let them gets 5 yards closer on a long game deciding kick

lolz

Is it incredible with a timeout and time on the clock they were willing to settle for a FG from the original spot prior to the Colts timeout? Am I missing something that they were leaving the season on the line with Folk from 49-50 yards?t

my take was that they would run it up the middle again, bleed the clock, call timeout and let him kick it from there

Is it incredible with a timeout and time on the clock they were willing to settle for a FG from the original spot prior to the Colts timeout? Am I missing something that they were leaving the season on the line with Folk from 49-50 yards?t

Yup they probably would have ran it once more and Folk missed the kick. Thank god Caldwell called that timeout or we would probably all be depressed today and cursing the coaching staff for being idiots.

Yes, Cromartie was in the dog house all night but redeemed himself with that KO return. He almost broke it.

The refs gave the Jets 2 yards on that return, also.

He stepped out at the 44, they spotted at 46

Why was the Braylon final catch ruled inbounds after the catch. He caught the ball inbounds, the ball finished out of bounds, he was not touched until the ball was out?

I am grateful that Folk made the gimme FG (not by a whole lot - a few feet inside the pole), but there is no way on this earth that dog would have made a 49 yarder in that situation. Zero.

Why was the Braylon final catch ruled inbounds after the catch. He caught the ball inbounds, the ball finished out of bounds, he was not touched until the ball was out?

Both feet were in bounds and he was touched.

Looked like his knee hit inbounds before the ball hit out of bounds.

I am grateful that Folk made the gimme FG (not by a whole lot - a few feet inside the pole), but there is no way on this earth that dog would have made a 49 yarder in that situation. Zero.

I hear that. Francesa is trying to say Folk was already in range.....techically yes...but we as Jet fans know better.

The issue is once again this would have been curious end of game mgmt by our staff had the Colts not called timeout. Love the W but very curious behaviour by our staff again.

I couldnt figure that one out myself. He was blatantly out of bounds on that play. I was actually concerned that he did not get both feet in bounds the way he hit. Clearly the replay showed it wasnt even close to not being a catch, but most of his upper body was OOB. The refs are pretty bad. There was another play early in the game where they gave the Colts a first when they had to get to I believe the 43 and they didnt. The refs did not even measure. Just signaled a 1st.

my take was that they would run it up the middle again, bleed the clock, call timeout and let him kick it from there

I disagree. Rex has no faith in Folk and was not going to go for the huge FG there. That run was designed to either catch the Colts off guard or see if they would use their last TO for the Jets advantage which they did. Had the Colts not used the TO I think the Jets would have either clocked the ball or gone pass/pass on the next two downs.

I couldnt figure that one out myself. He was blatantly out of bounds on that play. I was actually concerned that he did not get both feet in bounds the way he hit. Clearly the replay showed it wasnt even close to not being a catch, but most of his upper body was OOB. The refs are pretty bad. There was another play early in the game where they gave the Colts a first when they had to get to I believe the 43 and they didnt. The refs did not even measure. Just signaled a 1st.

While I kinda felt the same way, I'm not sure it matters if his upper body was out of bounds.

I thought the refs gave alot of generous spots all night. NFL's a fun league.

Lol it's extremely well known that Schotty only called plays in 5 games this year. Last night, and probably in any other playoff win, was clearly not one of those five (if they had lost it'd be 6 if you're curious).

17 points, baby! The Best Show on Turf II !!!!!

I disagree. Rex has no faith in Folk and was not going to go for the huge FG there. That run was designed to either catch the Colts off guard or see if they would use their last TO for the Jets advantage which they did. Had the Colts not used the TO I think the Jets would have either clocked the ball or gone pass/pass on the next two downs.

I'm pretty sure Rex said he was comfortable going with Folk there. You are making Rex sound way smarter then he is.

True story. Sad, but true. The Indianapolis sideline rescued the Jets sideline, because the Jets were prepared to win or lose with a long field goal by Folk. A lot longer than 32 yards, I mean. With 36 seconds left, that was the decision from coach Rex Ryan: Play for a field goal of 50-something yards. It was a curious decision -- but then, Rex Ryan has curious thoughts when it comes to feet.

The Jets had the ball at the Indianapolis 34 with one timeout and 36 seconds left. Folk already had told Ryan he felt good kicking from the Colts' 35, but that was typical Jets bravado. Folk felt good from the 35? Really? That would be a 53-yard field goal, and on the season Folk was 2-for-5 on kicks of 50 yards or longer.

"I told them the 35 was good for me," Folk said.

That's what Folk said, so that's what Ryan accepted. On first down from the 34, Ryan called for a running play toward the middle of the field. LaDainian Tomlinson gained two yards. That left the ball at the Colts' 32, which left Folk looking at a 50-yarder.

"We were trying to center the ball for me," Folk said. "Get it off the hash mark."

we'll never know what they would have done if the dolts don't call a TO, but you don't run it there to center it and then call two passes. well, with this staff you never know :D but it wouldn't really make sense to run it to center it, then call two passes

I think they would have called another running play, and bled the clock for a probable 48 yard FG

17 points, baby! The Best Show on Turf II !!!!!

Yeah...I'm not gonna do this this week. I agree with you that Cromartie's kickoff was huge. I agree with you that if Schotty was the truly all time great OC I think he is this team would have scored more than 17 points. The 10 minute and 8 minute drives could be called by a baby or a dog or sumpin.

Last drive was crazy...everyone in the building knew we were going to throw to Edwards and the Sanchez/Edwards combo made it happen anyway. Lol @ the Colts for putting one little nobody on Edwards in the 4th quarter with <1minute s and Jets owning all the timeouts left in the game. They've rolled over and died for us 2 out of the past 3 times.

He must of been watching the tv broadcast.. one of them said they'd be surprised if it wasn't a shot to braylon..

And that caldwell timeout was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, I can't imagine what he was thinking, it was second down, the jets were kicking with 0.00 left no matter what

No way, rex was run , timeout and kick.. There was like 30 seconds left on the clock and the jets were milling around a bit, not rushing to line to clock..

Sanchez had been epically bad all night, i seriously doubt he was going to risk it

Archived