The only thing that pisses me off about Rex

SouthernJet

Is that he allows Schotty to continue to ignore the run game when its freakin obvious. NOW he is on record saying 'they blew it'

"Ryan said Monday if he had to do it all over again, he would have had his offense try to pound the ball in from the one-yard-line instead.

"If we had the benefit of hindsight, we should have probably just ran Shonn Greene or L.T. four straight times," Ryan said. "That's easy to look back on it. We clearly thought that we had some good plays designed and it just never worked out.""

I just hope that Rex finally has learned his lesson and when the time comes again in future, he grabs Schotty by throat and says "'DONT BE CUTE, WE DO NOT NEED TO PASS HERE, WE HAVE 4 SHOTS AT 1 DAMN YARD'

With a 1st and goal from 1, to ignore our great OL and go with high % passes (bat-down, ball slip off hands, bounce off WR, holding calls, int etc) was dumbest move in Jets playoff history IMHO.

They choked in that spot...the whole coaching staff choked there.

Yup, thats my point. Schotty and Rex choked. SO if Rex says Schotty back, all we can pray is Rex will over-ride some of these 'I will outfox them and do opposite of what they expect and what will 90% work'' moves that Schotty is famous for.

Yup, thats my point. Schotty and Rex choked. SO if Rex says Schotty back, all we can pray is Rex will over-ride some of these 'I will outfox them and do opposite of what they expect and what will 90% work'' moves that Schotty is famous for.

Wasn't that the knock on Buddy Ryan, his neglect of the offense. I think Rex is a pretty smart man. I think he'll get it right. Whether or not Schotty returns is a whole other thing, but either way, REX is the HC and needs to act like one. So, I agree 100% with you. Everything else about Rex I love, but this too.

4 runs to get 1 yard. Guaranteed the way we were running it that drive. Instead Schotty out clevers himself, yet again. I'm also enraged at the 3 or 4 reverses or double reverses that he tried. If you're not executing the simple stuff don't try the fancy crap.

And one last thing, if Schotty is here at next year can we please bring in a hurry up offense expert?

the main thing i didn't like about him he seems to have self corrected.. that is his maniacal over confidence in his defense.. re: the goal line stand, the only play call that was an abortion was the quick slant on third. (even though they called the sdameplay to complete a 4th down play on the enxt drive, if memory serves) . Second down keller had his hands on the ball and has to make that catch. LT over Greene is nitpicky on 4th, they'd been using LT all year on those plays..

I wouldn't even go Greene or LT....a QB sneak works almost every time......

I'm just pissed that Rex said he's keeping him. Does anyone know some good OCs on the market?

That is the inherent flaw with clamoring for Schotty to get fired.

He is a "good" OC. Good enough to give us a middle of the pack offense, even with a top 5 offensive line, 4 great WRs, a receiving TE, 2 very good RBs and a decent QB -- who, when given the chance to play, can play.

We need a "great" OC to get to the next level. The reason I say that is because of Rex. He is too one-dimensional in his mindset. He can amp this team up like its nobodies business, except for 45-3 and this past Sunday, and he can scheme a defense... but it terrifies me that he has such little input into the offense.

It became very clear to me this year that Rex isn't even the one managing the clock in end game/half scenarios - as we saw Sunday. Rex just yells hurry up, but he leaves it in Schotty's hands to do the hurrying. Not good.

Who is out there? Not sure. Who is out there that can work alongside Rex and thrive? Could be an even shorter list. Especially when you up the ante and are looking to go from good to great.

I will say this about Schotty, he did have longer stretches this year where he didn't ******* screw us for multiple games in a row. He helped get us to the playoffs... but I just don't trust him. I don't trust him not to show up with a stinker like he did Sunday.

AFC Championship 2 years in a row, we fall behind and we don't have the offense to get back in it. Last year, it was Shonn Greene's injury and the fact that Sanchez couldn't complete a pass. Oh, and our defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.

This year, our defense couldn't tackle, couldn't get off the field on 3rd down, but we had Greene, and we had Sanchez playing great, and we still couldn't play catch up.

Disheartening... and frankly, it wouldn't have been an issue had we gotten the lead first. Our defense, like all defenses plays better with a lead. So... Sunday was a complete team disaster. Right down to the punting, and punt coverage.

But next year, I would like to see Rex find himself a peer on the offensive side of the ball. I think Rex needs someone running the offense that he can't beat 10 times out of 10. I don't think Schotty is that guy.

Anyway, tangent... done.

the main thing i didn't like about him he seems to have self corrected.. that is his maniacal over confidence in his defense.. re: the goal line stand, the only play call that was an abortion was the quick slant on third. (even though they called the sdameplay to complete a 4th down play on the enxt drive, if memory serves) . Second down keller had his hands on the ball and has to make that catch. LT over Greene is nitpicky on 4th, they'd been using LT all year on those plays..

The 3rd and 4th were both awful calls.

The 2nd down play was there, although the way we were rushing and the ******* mayhem that was going on leads me to think we should have just sneaked and taken what was there.

The 3rd down play was an unexplainable mind**** of the highest order.

The 4th down play was a predictable shambles. You might as well run into brick wall.

4 runs to get 1 yard. Guaranteed the way we were running it that drive. Instead Schotty out clevers himself, yet again. I'm also enraged at the 3 or 4 reverses or double reverses that he tried. If you're not executing the simple stuff don't try the fancy crap.

And one last thing, if Schotty is here at next year can we please bring in a hurry up offense expert?

This seems to be a Schotty signature... he always does this. Every time one of his RBs picks up like 20-30 yards on 2-3 carries, he pulls him for the other guy. Its like he never coached RBs before. The best ones, need their "rhythm" carries, you hear them say it all the time... Jamal Lewis swore that he wasn't ready to go until he hit his 15th carry or so. Shonn Greene runs just like him. Just sayin'

This seems to be a Schotty signature... he always does this. Every time one of his RBs picks up like 20-30 yards on 2-3 carries, he pulls him for the other guy. Its like he never coached RBs before. The best ones, need their "rhythm" carries, you hear them say it all the time... Jamal Lewis swore that he wasn't ready to go until he hit his 15th carry or so. Shonn Greene runs just like him. Just sayin'

schotty might have to utterly outfox his opponent when coaching a team with a talent deficit but this Jets team didn't have to finesse hardly anyone.

Head Coaches never will cut a coordinator. The guy's gotta leave to HC somewhere.

The HC usually has said nice things about the assistant and worries that firing the guy points to the HC's judgment.

Politics >> performance. Nobody with the magical name of "Schottenheimer" is getting canned.

This is life...Good always comes with bad. Yin/Yang and all that.

-Good team? Expect fools on the staff you can't cut.

-Getting a raise? Your car will die this year.

-Win the lotto? Plan on a heart attack or cancer this year.

-Want a trip to the beach? You'll have to see a fat man in a speedo.

This is just the way the world works.

What, you don't think it's the epitome of awesomeness seeing our QB with both hands up in the air with a "What's the ****ing play?" expression as we're running out of time to get a play off (or running out of time in the game outright)?

Does this boob just watch plays unfold like a spectator, wait to see what the result is, and only then first begin to think of what he wants to call next? Barring something unusual and unexpected happening (fumbling and recovering, getting sacked, offensive penalty, chain-measurement, etc), he should have his next play ready and relayed right away when our new play clock is set. When he calls a play he should already be thinking what he has in mind for what he's going to call for a new first down, next-down and 1, next-down and 2-4 yds, next-down and 5-7 yds, and next-down and 8-10 yds. It's not like there are 75 permutations to consider every time a play ends. If he can't figure that out on the fly, then he needs to be in the booth where he can spread out all of his little play charts on the table in front of himself.

In his 5th straight year as an OC it is inexcusable for our QB to repeatedly not have the next play communicated within 10 seconds of the prior play ending. My guess is that's why we don't see ourselves hurry-up when we need to. Schottenheimer seems to need 10 seconds to assess the situation, another 10 to come up with a play, and another 3-5 seconds to relay it to Sanchez.

What, you don't think it's the epitome of awesomeness seeing our QB with both hands up in the air with a "What's the ****ing play?" expression as we're running out of time to get a play off (or running out of time in the game outright)?

Does this boob just watch plays unfold like a spectator, wait to see what the result is, and only then first begin to think of what he wants to call next? Barring something unusual and unexpected happening (fumbling and recovering, getting sacked, offensive penalty, chain-measurement, etc), he should have his next play ready and relayed right away when our new play clock is set. When he calls a play he should already be thinking what he has in mind for what he's going to call for a new first down, next-down and 1, next-down and 2-4 yds, next-down and 5-7 yds, and next-down and 8-10 yds. It's not like there are 75 permutations to consider every time a play ends. If he can't figure that out on the fly, then he needs to be in the booth where he can spread out all of his little play charts on the table in front of himself.

In his 5th straight year as an OC it is inexcusable for our QB to repeatedly not have the next play communicated within 10 seconds of the prior play ending. My guess is that's why we don't see ourselves hurry-up when we need to. Schottenheimer seems to need 10 seconds to assess the situation, another 10 to come up with a play, and another 3-5 seconds to relay it to Sanchez.

bingo bongo

This.

it's amazing he can dress himself in the morning, let alone run an NFL offense. how come rex doesn't see it?

To me the most brilliant play in his bag of tricks is the end around to Cotchery. Only Hartsock is slower than Cotchery among our wideouts. Maybe BS is being cute by half, thinking the defense will overpursue? Who knows. How about Martz killing his team with that reverse on 2nd and 2 in their final drive. Another bozo.

Is that he allows Schotty to continue to ignore the run game when its freakin obvious. NOW he is on record saying 'they blew it'

"Ryan said Monday if he had to do it all over again, he would have had his offense try to pound the ball in from the one-yard-line instead.

"If we had the benefit of hindsight, we should have probably just ran Shonn Greene or L.T. four straight times," Ryan said. "That's easy to look back on it. We clearly thought that we had some good plays designed and it just never worked out.""

I just hope that Rex finally has learned his lesson and when the time comes again in future, he grabs Schotty by throat and says "'DONT BE CUTE, WE DO NOT NEED TO PASS HERE, WE HAVE 4 SHOTS AT 1 DAMN YARD'

With a 1st and goal from 1, to ignore our great OL and go with high % passes (bat-down, ball slip off hands, bounce off WR, holding calls, int etc) was dumbest move in Jets playoff history IMHO.

Dude you are 100% correct..we were down 24-10...our running game was gaining momentum because the Pitt D was starting to break...1st and goal, and no Shonn Greene?? In that position, you go with the hot hand and that's giving the ball to Greene 4 times...PERIOD. We score that TD, we as fans are not feeling like we were just kicked in the nuts and we would have SB threads here instead! Sorry but I blame Rex for NOT stepping in and telling the OC to stop with the BS gimmicks and go balls to the wall in that situation and if there WAS ANY DOUBT..why not call a FCUKEN timeout to get the act together instead of looking like a firedrill.....FCUKEN stupid crap...and another lost opportunity.

The one and only thing that pisses me off about Rex is that his OC dropped the ball in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship game for TWO YEARS IN A ROW and he lets him keep his job. Which means he has Dolan-esque levels of loyalty towards people that work for him and that is a really, REALLY dangerous thing.

The debate of the ages.

This is the Jets. I guarantee if we run it 4 straight times, they stop us no every try and then we are bitching about how se tried to run 4 straight times against a historic run defense.

Pussies.

Yeah, that's why I haven't said much about it myself. And LT had been scoring TDs this postseason. I would have liked to see a rollout or something but oh well. This stuff happens. If it was that easy to score every time then red zone TD percentages would be through the roof. Actually I think we do have one of the worst ones though.

The bigger problem is nobody showed up the first half. If they had then it wouldn't have been an issue. It's stupid to expect a big comeback all the time against elite teams. Even the Pats couldn't make the comeback against us the week prior. If the opposing QB is good you just don't get the chances to make it up. If the opposing QB sucks, then you do have it because they'll screw up and give it to you. That's why comebacks are usually against crappy teams and not good ones.

What Peyton did a few years ago was ridiculous, that type of thing just does not happen. But that's Peyton Manning, he's easily the best QB of this generation and one of the all time greats. Nobody else can pull that off right now.

To me the most brilliant play in his bag of tricks is the end around to Cotchery. Only Hartsock is slower than Cotchery among our wideouts. Maybe BS is being cute by half, thinking the defense will overpursue? Who knows. How about Martz killing his team with that reverse on 2nd and 2 in their final drive. Another bozo.

Thats just it though Jack, nobody would expect you'd run the slowest non lineman on your offense on a reverse. Thats the genius of it and proves that Brian S is a really sharp guy. Cotch was only about 2.2 seconds late from turning that upfield for a huge gain and maybe 6.

This. Keep in mind despite the NFL's officials, the people running the clock and playclock and possible able to mess with the headsets work for the home team. I'm not saying that you are going to get screwed but you have to have some idea what plays you are looking to call before the previous play ends. It's imperative to have a goddamn clue what's next, and that NEVER seemed to be the case in big spots.

Also, the Jets faced a number of 3-4 teams with Ngata, Cullen Jenkins, Suh, Wilfork and Hampton this season and in the playoffs. You cannot run right up the middle successfully against those guys. IT'S POINTLESS, no matter how good you'r OL is. You are allowed to run outisde the tackles. both backs do that pretty well, we have good tackles, Hunter/Turner and the TEs expcet keller can all block, and Slausson, Moore and Mangold can all pull. And instead Schitty WASTED downs, often on 1st down running right at that those bigass fatbodies and mostly getting nothing.Also, when you run outside, the big guys get wrn out running side to side. Find it infuriating that we literally wasted dozens of plays like that with no real expectation they would succeed because...I still have no idea.

IMO that is why the 2nd down pass play failed. Sanchez was so rushed to communicate the play in the huddle and than actually get it off in time that it made his throw off target just enough to blow the play. Inexcusable in that situation to not quickly and clearly let your young QB know what the play is.

Oops! That series was the ball game lost on terrible play calls. They should have called a time out, got their act together with everyone on the same page and pounded it in. Or maybe better yet, how about Sanchez doing some magic with his bootleg play that faked a lot of people out of their jocks during the regular season. Anything but risking a pic by throwing short over that line! What was Schotty thinking?

IMO that is why the 2nd down pass play failed. Sanchez was so rushed to communicate the play in the huddle and than actually get it off in time that it made his throw off target just enough to blow the play. Inexcusable in that situation to not quickly and clearly let your young QB know what the play is.

And the third down pass failed because a guy the size of Sanchez, who gets a fair amount of passes blocked, cannot take a 1 step drop (on the goal line!!!) and throw a 2 yard incut. Dumbass.

And Sanchez saying that his headset went out is just him covering Schotty's a$$. You could see when they showed him on the sideline that he was STILL deciding on a play. I completely agree that if Sanchez wasnt rushed there, thats a TD.

And Sanchez saying that his headset went out is just him covering Schotty's a$. You could see when they showed him on the sideline that he was STILL deciding on a play. I completely agree that if Sanchez wasnt rushed there, thats a TD.

I didn't say it would have been a TD or wouldn't have. But in no way is getting the play in late helpful. Unless it's one of Schotty's deceptions: "Aha! They'll be EXPECTING me to get the play in with enough time to line up and snap the ball. I will do the opposite and Pittsburgh will never see it coming. To make sure I don't need to rely on each player's poker face, I will also conceal this strategy from them as well. Pure geeeeeenius."

Archived