Herschel Walker

Matt39

In a move that is either a publicity stunt or proof positive of the perils of concussions, 48-year-old former NFL running back Herschel Walker says that he’s thinking about returning to the field.

“I’ve told everyone that at 50 I might try football again to show people I can do that,” Walker said Monday in a conference call aimed at promoting an MMA event in which he’ll be participating, according to Franklin McNeill of ESPN.com. “I want to be the George Foreman of football, come back and do that one more time.”

Walker says he’s in better shape now than when he played in the NFL. “I’m a much better-conditioned athlete now than when I was playing football,” Walker said. “I’m 48 and in better shape now than I was when I was in my early 20s, playing football.”

And he already has his two teams selected.

“The two teams I would come back to play for are Minnesota or Atlanta,” Walker said. “It would probably be Atlanta because that’s home for me.”

This time around, the Vikings presumably could get Walker for slightly less than they gave up to secure his services 21-plus years ago.

Though he likely won’t be playing football any time soon, he’ll be engaging in his second MMA fight on Saturday night in California, 52 weeks after Walker made his debut — on the same night and in the same location that Jets coach Rex Ryan fired off a $50,000 middle finger to Dolphins fans.

Have you seen him lately? He looks more in shape than 99% of our team. Vet. min. contract for 1 year. 1 roster spot won't kill us....plus, I honestly think he still has it.

I'd be surprised if there were 5 players in the NFL who look more in shape than Vernon Gholston. Let that sink in.

With this logic we should use 1 roster spot for an aerobics instructor. No one's in better shape than they are.

I'd be surprised if there were 5 players in the NFL who look more in shape than Vernon Gholston. Let that sink in.

With this logic we should use 1 roster spot for an aerobics instructor. No one's in better shape than they are.

Okay but still, the point is, no, he wasn't any HoFer, but he was a solid receiving back who looks like he can still play. Sign him to our PS and try him out. Can't hurt. Honestly, there is 0% risk.

Okay but still, the point is, no, he wasn't any HoFer, but he was a solid receiving back who looks like he can still play. Sign him to our PS and try him out. Can't hurt. Honestly, there is 0% risk.

Receiving back? Looks like he can play? Practice squad?

Do you watch football?

The Foreman comparison is a pretty bad one. He beat a bunch of bums in that comeback and looked horrible when they stuck him in the ring with elite athletes (Holyfield, Briggs, people forget that Moorer was kicking his a$$ too until he got caught late). He succeeded in that comeback because of straight power and experience, and unfortunately in the NFL that's not enough. The fight game's a totally different world. That's why guys still fighting in to their 30's and 40's is common, while playing guys playing football into the latter is bizarre. These guys are the best athletes in the world and you simply don't become a more athletic person when you go through your 40's.

Dude, I usually agree with you but this guy can do like 1000 ******* pushups

Wow. I can think of no better prerequisite for being a good NFL RB. I have been put in my place. How embarrassing.

Exactly. And I dare anyone to name me 5 more important factors regarding a players potential than pushups and how they look in the mirror. And don't bring logic or reality into this argument.

I nominate Verde!

I'm not sure, but I think there is a rule against 17 year vets being on the practice squad which doesn't even exist in the off-season.

He's not even making a comeback.

We have to sign him now so that we have the inside lane for his comeback in 2 years when he turns 50!

The Foreman comparison is a pretty bad one. He beat a bunch of bums in that comeback and looked horrible when they stuck him in the ring with elite athletes (Holyfield, Briggs, people forget that Moorer was kicking his a$$ too until he got caught late). He succeeded in that comeback because of straight power and experience, and unfortunately in the NFL that's not enough. The fight game's a totally different world. That's why guys still fighting in to their 30's and 40's is common, while playing guys playing football into the latter is bizarre. These guys are the best athletes in the world and you simply don't become a more athletic person when you go through your 40's.

**** you! I am so getting more athletic!

Wow. I can think of no better prerequisite for being a good NFL RB. I have been put in my place. How embarrassing.

I think it will be more important for his bobsledding comeback.

Herschel_Walker-Strikeforce-Henderson-vs-Babalu.jpg

Gholston would make him look like a pre-puberty pop warner football player with his shirt off. Are the early to mid 20 year old nfl players just gonna bounce off those muscles?? The man had two good seasons in his career and all of a sudden spending 14 years out of the NFL has honed and sharpened his abilities?? This topic hurts my head.

You would almost be tempted to buy into Walker's story if he were the sort of player who never worked out and did it all on natural ability alone. But he was publishing exercise and fitness books early in his career, so he was into working out even back then. And like a few people have pointed out, he wasn't that much even in his twenties.

From 1989:

7e05124128a0d8054b12c010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Archived