This is a Rebuilding Offseason

Barton

Jets are going to look different next year. And they should.

Half of these FA clowns we have are goners, at least half.

Defense needs more speed at linebacker and strengh at the line. A cherry on top would be a safety who can run and knock heads.

Offense needs a slot receiver and continued growth from Sanchez.

Special teams will have to replace Brad Smith on gunner and add depth.

I'm expect AT LEAST 4 new starters next year.

Defense needs more speed at linebacker and strengh at the line. A cherry on top would be a safety who can run and knock heads.

What you described is NOT rebuilding. It is called football in the age of the cap. Particularly an of season where there are so many free agents league wide.

The Jets had at least 5 new starters this past year

What you described is NOT rebuilding. It is called football in the age of the cap. Particularly an of season where there are so many free agents league wide.

This. There is no minor leagues. Under the cap rules there is no such thing as rebuilding.

What? Its year 3 into Rex's and Sanchez's careers with the Jets and our core is pretty much locked up. This is far from a rebuilding year.

Exactly. And when we get Aso (we are going to, I bet), we'll definitely win the SB. Definitely not even remotely close a rebuilding year. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Right. There is an average of around 20% roster turnover league-wide. Retention Rates This is nothing new. The Jets replaced Rhodes, Douglas, Jones, Faneca and Shephard last year. They replace Favre, Coleman, Elam, Barton, Law/Poteat at CB and dumped Franks/Baker who started most games at TE. They didn't do too badly in 2009 or 2010.

Slauson, Pool and Cromartie were really the only new starters. They all replaced guys who were traded/cut.

Trying to define the world rebuilding was not my point here. Point is the defense needs to be overhauled. Cromartie is not coming back and the front 7 needs to be revamped for the present and future. Not to mention safeties.

Slauson, Pool and Cromartie were really the only new starters. They all replaced guys who were traded/cut.

Trying to define the world rebuilding was not my point here. Point is the defense needs to be overhauled. Cromartie is not coming back and the front 7 needs to be revamped for the present and future. Not to mention safeties.

That is re-tooling.

Rebuilding means you are tearing down and starting over.

Don't want to get in a game of definitions here either, but the connotations are different as to what they mean

That is re-tooling.

Rebuilding means you are tearing down and starting over.

Don't want to get in a game of definitions here either, but the connotations are different as to what they mean

I figured most people would take it like that, but to me its just apples/oranges for the term major re-tooling

(that the Jets need)/vs rebuilding.

This defense overachieved the past 2 seasons (top 5 D's w/o an elite pass rusher or Dlineman, unheard of).

No doubt in my mind that if the Jets make the right personnel moves THIS offseason, they'll have the #1 D next year.

Forgot Thomas Jones already?

3/6 in the NFL and the D needs to be overhauled? They don't need to do anything except retain/replace. The Jets have a lot of FAs, but I completely trust Tannenbaum on contracts, so I'm confident that the uncertainty will work in our favor.

A guy named Ladanian Tomlinson rings a bell...

And Holmes-when he wasn't suspended.

I'd count him, but he didnt replace Cotchery, who stayed on the team. He might have been the listed starter for some games, but in the bigger sense, he just bumped Cotchery to #3, not a new starter in the sense of Faneca cut/enter Slauson.

I agree with this.

We're certain to lose a few high-profilers, perhaps both WR's, and almost surely Smith (who someone will overpay).

But I'm betting at least two of the 4 "big name" Free Agents probably get retained, likely Cro, one of the WR's, and Harris, in that order.

Jets don;t have a lot of picks, and (best as I've heard) not a ton of capspace even if guys like Ghost are dumped.

Generally, we're in pretty solid shape. I'd cal this offseason a re-tooling. It's only a rebuild when large swatches of team need replaced, often starting with HEad Coach, QB, and entire O or D lines. Thats not us.

Wayne Hunter might actually be the most important one and nobody is mentioning him. Woody is old, injury prone and making a ton. Sign Hunter and pray Ducasse or FA/pick can cut it as a backup and you can save enough money to help keep one of your choice of the big 4.

I would have to imagine after how Hunter performed throughout the year, especially when Woody went down, that he is a high priority to retain. He might not be high profile, but he should be high priority. Especially considering it shouldn't be too much to retain him.

Side question. Will cuts and waives happen prior to or after the NFL draft?? I would imagine retaining or not signing guys like Thomas, Pool, Smith will be much easier to decide after we see who we draft. I dunno if that's the schedule of how things go, but we draft BPA and if we end up with OLB or S than that will make it easier to decide who we cut for cap purposes and don't sign etc. and vice versa if CB and DL are BPA,than maybe we don't cut THomas or someone for that matter.

Wayne Hunter might actually be the most important one and nobody is mentioning him. Woody is old, injury prone and making a ton. Sign Hunter and pray Ducasse or FA/pick can cut it as a backup and you can save enough money to help keep one of your choice of the big 4.

You mean the same idiot that tipped plays on the goalline?

I would have to imagine after how Hunter performed throughout the year, especially when Woody went down, that he is a high priority to retain. He might not be high profile, but he should be high priority. Especially considering it shouldn't be too much to retain him.

Side question. Will cuts and waives happen prior to or after the NFL draft?? I would imagine retaining or not signing guys like Thomas, Pool, Smith will be much easier to decide after we see who we draft. I dunno if that's the schedule of how things go, but we draft BPA and if we end up with OLB or S than that will make it easier to decide who we cut for cap purposes and don't sign etc. and vice versa if CB and DL are BPA,than maybe we don't cut THomas or someone for that matter.

Jason will probably provide the correct answer, but I don't think they cut anybody unless they have a roster bonus due (Gholston). I don't think the players will get paid unless they play, so there isn't reason to cut them until absolutely necessary.

The AFCCG>Random Miami regular season game. Sorry.

The guy made a mistake. Revis dropped a pick, should they cut him? I don't think that play didn't even cost them. Didn't they got the safety and the ball back? Just because the article is posted 6 or 7 times a week doesn't make it super important. I thought it was Schotty's fault anyway.

Braylon has bought into the team. He will accept a reasonable offer. He is an all around player: big, physical, at times has some good burst, great blocker.

Holmes, on the other hand, was just along for the ride. Made some game winning catches but also disappeared in many games.

If it's one of the two, Braylon is the answer. We just have to draft a #2 and Cotchery can stay in the slot.

rebuilding is what happens after a franchise goes up in flames and needs to start from square one. That is not us, we are simply improving, we have improved every year since 2007 and we still haven't peaked yet while other teams in our conference have already peaked and are on their way down. Priority #1 for this team has got to be the defense every year, offense is secondary. With that said, Cro better be the first one to be signed because he is key to the future success of this team. We need to get pass rushers and a ball hawk FS that can actually create big plays. On offense we need to resign either braylon or santonio, maybe both if we are able to get Braylon at a discount because of his off the field issues other teams may not want to pay him as much as he is worth.

The Jets are a few smart moves from contending for a SB for the thrid year in a row how does that = rebuilding ? 4-12 teams talk rebuild not 11-5 teams that are currently contending and played in two AFCCG's in a row and will most likely be condsidered a top five contender next year as well.

I can easily see 3-5 different starters next year on this team Lets hope that consists of LB, Safety, and DL . A little surprise on Offense would not hurt either. The smart moves will get us back to the AFCCG

Archived