Vernon Gholston: Memories

ZachEY

gholston-ysu.jpg

In June or so of '07 I posted this very picture in a thread titled along the lines of "Vernon Gholston, the Jets future first round pick"...Jah knows that that would be the f*ckin pick I get right. I'd like to be able to find that thread...I'm 99% sure I posted it here.

Meh... I wish him well working the grill, and if that doesn't work out, they can always move him to the fryer, and if that doesn't work out they can have him take a pay cut to wash dishes, and if that doesn't work... well... yeah. That's all I got.

The way people jumped off the bandwagon and started bashing him so soon. I defended him for a long time, and fully acknowledge I was wrong. Still think some people are too quick to criticize players ON THE JETS around here.

I agree, however with him I knew right away he had bust written all over. My first memory was trying to convince myself that he might turn into a player, but knew deep inside he was going to suck monkey balls.

In three years, Gholston played in 45 games, including five starts, producing only 32 total tackles. He made $21 million in guarantees from his rookie contract, which breaks down to $636,000 per tackle.

Gholston had a $9 million escalator clause in his contract for one sack or forced fumble or fumble recovery, but never got it.

ESPN

BTW, when is the great players coach Rex Ryan going to make a player better? Didn't he promise to turn Gholston into Terrell Suggs?

No, actually he compared the situation to his experience with Suggs. But as I recall his quote was more on the lines of "If I can't get this guy to play then no one can"

Now we're going to see if he eats those words but I doubt it.

In three years, Gholston played in 45 games, including five starts, producing only 32 total tackles. He made $21 million in guarantees from his rookie contract, which breaks down to $636,000 per tackle.

Gholston had a $9 million escalator clause in his contract for one sack or forced fumble or fumble recovery, but never got it.

ESPN

Oh my god!!! I never knew that. Let me tell you, if you told me I needed to get one sack in a season for 9 million dollars I GUARANTEE that I could and would do it.

Oh my god!!! I never knew that. Let me tell you, if you told me I needed to get one sack in a season for 9 million dollars I GUARANTEE that I could and would do it.

This shows you how dumb Gholston was.

If 1 sack = $9,000,000.00 it's simple:

Bribe of 5 Offensive Linemen $1,000,000 each.

Bribe to QB to fall down for the sack when Gholston overruns him, $1,000,000

Still makes $3,000,000

there was a NYT article about Jason Taylor this year where it broke down the rate of sacks against total plays. Turns out getting a sack is pretty tough to do. It's statistically similar to hitting a half court shot in basketball.

Archived