Gregg Rosenthal: do the 2010 draft all over most NFL teams would perfer Freeman over Sanchez

flgreen

Rex Ryan explains how the Jets chose Mark Sanchez over Josh Freeman

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 9, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT

Bud Light Hotel Hosts The Playboy Party With Performances By Snoop Dogg, Warren G And Flo Rida Getty Images

Sometimes job interviews come down to random factors that never show up on a resume. The same can be true in the NFL, no matter how much game film is watched.

Peter King of SI.com relays a story from Rex Ryan about how the Jets chose Mark Sanchez over Josh Freeman. Ryan said both quarterbacks blew the Jets away with their smarts and preparation. Ryan says another factor helped to separate Sanchez from the competition.

When the Jets worked out Mark Sanchez, 24 high school and college teammates showed up to catch balls for him. When the Jets worked out Freeman at Kansas State, only two receivers showed up.

“Honestly, that might have been what separated them — the immense respect we sensed from the people who played with Mark and knew him so well,” Ryan said.

The Jets believe they made the right choice following two AFC championship game appearances. We’d argue that Freeman would have been a better selection, even though we expect Sanchez to have a fine career.

Do the 2010 draft all over again, and we’d bet that most NFL teams would prefer Freeman.

Rex Ryan explains how the Jets chose Mark Sanchez over Josh Freeman

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 9, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT

Bud Light Hotel Hosts The Playboy Party With Performances By Snoop Dogg, Warren G And Flo Rida Getty Images

Sometimes job interviews come down to random factors that never show up on a resume. The same can be true in the NFL, no matter how much game film is watched.

Peter King of SI.com relays a story from Rex Ryan about how the Jets chose Mark Sanchez over Josh Freeman. Ryan said both quarterbacks blew the Jets away with their smarts and preparation. Ryan says another factor helped to separate Sanchez from the competition.

When the Jets worked out Mark Sanchez, 24 high school and college teammates showed up to catch balls for him. When the Jets worked out Freeman at Kansas State, only two receivers showed up.

“Honestly, that might have been what separated them — the immense respect we sensed from the people who played with Mark and knew him so well,” Ryan said.

The Jets believe they made the right choice following two AFC championship game appearances. We’d argue that Freeman would have been a better selection, even though we expect Sanchez to have a fine career.

Do the 2010 draft all over again, and we’d bet that most NFL teams would prefer Freeman.

If you re-did the 2010 draft right now, nobody would take either of them as they were both drafted in 2009.

I'd bitch if the Jets gave up a lot in the trade to move up to #5 - but they really didn't.

I think Freeman's going to be the real deal, but they got the guy they wanted, and that's the smart way to do business. The point cited here about the 24 people coming to help out with Mark's workout is playing out this year with Mark getting his backs and receivers out to California to work during the lockout. How's Freeman's lockout camp going?

You can't teach leadership. Sanchez had to grow into his role from his beginnings as an inexperienced junior/rookie starter, and it looks like he's doing just that. I'm still fine with the kid.

The one that really might make you think is the Jets declined surrendering their 2009 first round pick to move up from #6 to #2 for an opportunity to draft Matt Ryan. Instead, the Jets drafted Vernon Gholston at #6 as we all remember. Then in 2009 we traded that very same 2009 first rounder plus our 2009 second rounder plus a few veteran players to move up to #5 to draft Sanchez.

Then again Mangini might have gotten a pass on that 2008 season with a rookie QB, and instead of Rex Ryan our HC hire might have been Josh McDaniels - or someone worse - for all we know.

The one that really might make you think is the Jets declined surrendering their 2009 first round pick to move up from #6 to #2 for an opportunity to draft Matt Ryan. Instead, the Jets drafted Vernon Gholston at #6 as we all remember. Then in 2009 we traded that very same 2009 first rounder plus our 2009 second rounder plus a few veteran players to move up to #5 to draft Sanchez.

Then again Mangini might have gotten a pass on that 2008 season with a rookie QB, and instead of Rex Ryan our HC hire might have been Josh McDaniels - or someone worse - for all we know.

I really don't think Atlanta had any serious intentions of trading out of that pick.

I can't believe that anyone at this point in their careers, based on both talent and accomplishments, would take Freeman over Sanchez, and yes I understand Sanchez plays on a better team.

And if there is a 2011 NFL season, I will be SHOCKED if at the end of it, ANYONE in their right mind would want Josh Freeman over Mark Sanchez.

Not so much a knock on Freeman, more confidence in Sanchez, who has proven he plays best at the biggest times.

In his third season, this will be the year Sanchez becomes an elite QB.

Just my opinion.

there was a line from a scout... im probably butchering it... but they said if Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Matthew Stafford and Sam Bradford are getting in the car to go get a bite to eat... Sanchez is the guy they flip the keys to... Sanchez is the alpha male.

Freeman might have better numbers but there's no way of predicting how this player fits in New York media market. Tampa Bay is a 2 horse town compared to NYC, sanchez was ready for it coming out of USC. im not sure we can say the same of Freeman coming out of Manhattan, Kansas. Sanchez has 4 playoff wins, Freeman has 0... Freeman is not organizing "bucs midwest" or any such camp. Sanchez has better leadership than Freeman.

LOL, flgreen, you repeated the same mistake here.

The article doesn't support the thread title. Rosenthal is simply guessing. He doesn't have any idea one way or the other.

there was a line from a scout... im probably butchering it... but they said if Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Matthew Stafford and Sam Bradford are getting in the car to go get a bite to eat... Sanchez is the guy they flip the keys to... Sanchez is the alpha male.

That wasn't a scout, it was Trent ******* Dilfer.

You mean theres more folks in SoCal then in the middle of the farm belt?

LOL There is nothing in Manhattan, Kansas. 15 square miles and 52,000 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan,_Kansas

Freeman would implode in front of the NY media. He is not very smart. He is also rather thuggish.

People like Matt Ryan, but I don't know why anyone would take him over Sanchez if you want to win an SB. Last year Sanchez had the 4th highest postseason QB rating, 3rd most TDs, 3rd most yardage, tied with a bunch of others with only 1 INT, and of course, most importantly, took his team all the way to the Championship game. Where he actually outplayed Ben. Meanwhile Ryan was pretty much the second worst QB in the playoffs, only behind that scrub Cassell.

And don't get me started on Flacco. Any flaw Sanchez has is multiplied 10 fold for Flacco in the playoffs. Sanchez mostly keeps his suckage confined to the regular season anyway, Flacco and many other QBs save their worst for the big games. That's the opposite of what I want. I'd rather you play complete games all the time, but if I don't have that choice, give me the guy that wins when the chips are down over the guy that crumbles with the first sign of adversity. All the great champions would pick themselves off the mat and come right back at you in big situations. But sports history is littered with the also rans that looked great until you punched them in the mouth.

Oh incidentally, ironically, Josh Freeman won me a bunch of fantasy championships last year.

I don't think that's what he was saying and I don't see what that has to do with anything.

I think the handling NY is a valid question....idk Freeman from a hole in the wall but he seems to be one poised a$$ QB.

The coding is annoying...I actually misread his initial quote. I dont what what his basis for calling him thuggish was.

Freeman might have better numbers but there's no way of predicting how this player fits in New York media market. Tampa Bay is a 2 horse town compared to NYC, sanchez was ready for it coming out of USC. im not sure we can say the same of Freeman coming out of Manhattan, Kansas. Sanchez has 4 playoff wins, Freeman has 0... Freeman is not organizing "bucs midwest" or any such camp. Sanchez has better leadership than Freeman.

I actually do remember that quote, and it's a pretty cool thing. It's the exact thing Rex was talking about when he explains why they drafted Sanchez over Freeman, and it's the exact reason he's able to get nearly every offensive skill player to fly cross country to practice and learn with him in the midst of a lockout, including 2 free agent receivers and a future HOF RB.

I like Freeman a lot at as a player, but I can't see how anyone can be anything but thrilled with what we've got out of Sanchez so far. I mean hell, the kid already owns the franchise record for playoff victories.

Give Rosenthall a break. It's a tough offseason. You knew eventually someone, somewhere was going to start crapping stories (aka puulling this sh*t out of his a$$) Sanchez may not be the fashionable choice between the two of them, but he has the record. Regardless of his team, he has the record (much like a a pitcher in baseball)

Freeman is impressive, but Sanchez is so much further advanced and seasoned than Freeman. I like Josh. Mark however was a good draft pick. Anyone who says otherwise is 1 of 3 things:

1) a rival AFC East team's fan

2) some argumentative prick

or

3) a sports reporter who has to put food on his table and needs a story no matter what, even if he has to make some junk up.

disclaimer: in my world if you don't agree exactly with my opinion you are classified an argumentative prick. Keeps things simple for me.

j/k

Considering Freeman's never been in trouble and that he followed it up with "People like Matt Ryan," I think it's very clear what he was saying.

Me too. Matt let the Grand Wizard off the hook by reading his critique as a dopey throwaway arguing for race as a reliable predictor of QB success. My point is that that's significantly less offensive and ignorant than what was actually implied.

yeah and if i could do things over again, i wouldn't have stolen that tv, streaked in highschool, drank too much and then... well i forget that night. but you get the point. freeman does have better ability, but sanchez is doing well. and he wanted to come here. i remember him saying that he wanted to be a jet before the draft.

I believe most will agree that Freeman has superior physical skills. I don't know the results of the mental acuity tests that they put potential draftees through but there was a quarterback from Notre Dame picked in the back of the 3rd round who was physically deficient but turned out to be a decent pick for the 49ers.

Of course Freeman may turn out to be John Elway to our Joe Montana but there no questionning the early success that Mark has had should negate any doubts about the pick. sanchez has proven to be a winner. How many qbs have taken their team to a conference championship in each of their first two years? Does anyone expect Sanchez to regress as a qb or as a leader?

I believe most will agree that Freeman has superior physical skills. I don't know the results of the mental acuity tests that they put potential draftees through but there was a quarterback from Notre Dame picked in the back of the 3rd round who was physically deficient but turned out to be a decent pick for the 49ers.

Of course Freeman may turn out to be John Elway to our Joe Montana but there no questionning the early success that Mark has had should negate any doubts about the pick. sanchez has proven to be a winner. How many qbs have taken their team to a conference championship in each of their first two years? Does anyone expect Sanchez to regress as a qb or as a leader?

I'd take Sanchez any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Born leader ... can't teach that.

And I'm not so sure Freeman has better physical skills. Yes, he's bigger with a stronger arm, maybe. But those two things alone do not a great quarterback make. Sanchez moves better in the pocket and there are so many intangibles that are part of the equation.

I think Freeman will be a good QB in the league, but I think Sanchez will be more successful when it's all said and done and I think year 3 will be his breakout season.

Just my opinion.

Archived