Movies We've Seen Thread

We didn't see it.  We were actually going to go Friday, but it was so hot that she got tired of walking around Georgetown waiting for me and went to the movies to get some a/c. 

Bizarre summer. While the Northeast has been roasting, it's been in the 60s/70s all summer in the Midwest. I think we've had only 2 days over 90.

That is 'sometimes' a giveaway for plot heavy, allegorical, meaning of life stuff type flicks not being in someones 'wheelhouse' ;)

Bottom line, its all in eye of beholder :)

I'm a fan of all flicks, but love plot heavy and foreign flicks. But even I need a Popcorn, relax, dont think type flick every once in awhile to unwind :)

I'm a fan of all flicks, but love plot heavy and foreign flicks. But even I need a Popcorn, relax, dont think type flick every once in awhile to unwind :)

Probably see Hercules this weekend... Fluff, but damn thing is getting good reviews from main establishment reviewers to boot :)

Probably see Hercules this weekend... Fluff, but damn thing is getting good reviews from main establishment reviewers to boot :)

Alan Moore has led a small boycott of the movie which I'm kind of on board with. Ratner and the studio deliberately screwed over Steve Moore (the creator of the comic that the film is based on and a legend in his own right). They were conveniently aided by Moore dying during the film's production and now they are refusing to compensate his estate.

I liked Noah. Lots of tough love in that movie, and I thought it looked good. 

Oculus was really well done. Gets a little slow in the second half, but I thought they put together a nice, sinister ending. 

Supposedly Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan were teased at the Comical Cons. 

http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/godzilla-2-teases-mothra-rodan-ghidorah.html

Edited by SenorGato

Alan Moore has led a small boycott of the movie which I'm kind of on board with. Ratner and the studio deliberately screwed over Steve Moore (the creator of the comic that the film is based on and a legend in his own right). They were conveniently aided by Moore dying during the film's production and now they are refusing to compensate his estate.

They are all leeches, I guarantee every flick has a Producer w/shady crap

Yes, still trying to get my game in gear.  You playing again before the season starts or are you waiting till February?

No idea.

Right now I have no free time. We just this past week ended a 3 month run of having family visit us, or we visit them, every single weekend. Not one weekend in that stretch with a break. Complete craziness. Now that that is over, I have to tend to some career-related priorities. I'll try to pop by and ruin things more often though. :)

Edited by Integrity28
  • Upvote 1

No idea.

Right now I have no free time. We just this past week ended a 3 month run of having family visit us, or we visit them, every single weekend. Not one weekend in that stretch with a break. Complete craziness. Now that that is over, I have to tend to some career-related priorities. I'll try to pop by and ruin things more often though. :)

Well, I know I've been on hiatus...no worries...good luck on the career priorities...you'll probably come back just as I'm getting done...either way...I'll miss our chess matches.

Snowpiercer............. Wow, just Wow

I was a bit let down by this film, specifically the pace and heavy handedness of the ending. Not that it was bad, but my expectations were much too high coming in I think. By the time we get to the Adam and Eve imagery it just feels a little cliche. At the risk of contradicting myself, I do like the anti reform message however, as much as people want to say this movie is anti capitalist, I don't think that was the main point, at least not to me..

I was a bit let down by this film, specifically the pace and heavy handedness of the ending. Not that it was bad, but my expectations were much too high coming in I think. By the time we get to the Adam and Eve imagery it just feels a little cliche. At the risk of contradicting myself, I do like the anti reform message however, as much as people want to say this movie is anti capitalist, I don't think that was the main point, at least not to me..

its not adam and eve, more surivivors,,3 part novel..

part 2 we find out there is a 2nd train on the same track

I finally got to sit and watch the "Lego Movie" the other day. It was excellent. Great message for kids and parents, with enough wit to entertain an adult and not lose them to "after school special" disinterest. I like that in almost every scene you could see the animators took great care to reflect their love and understanding of the Lego bricks, the way they bounce, sound, move, etc. They didn't overlook any details at all. Very entertaining as a huge Lego enthusiast.

I also watched a movie called "Out of the Furnace" which has a great cast, but what lured me in was Woody Harrelson and Christian Bale working together. I hadn't even heard of this movie, and it's probably the polar opposite of something like the Lego Movie, but it was really, really good. There were points where I wanted to say it was dragging, but I couldn't - the pace was holistically slow, but felt intentional. In the end, that pace, the moments of pause made it palpable. It was very anti-blockbuster, it could have gone a totally different way and been non-stop action with a huge climax, instead it was contemplative and the pivotal parts were subtle. I don't know what else to say about it, I enjoyed it though.

Edited by Integrity28

I finally got to sit and watch the "Lego Movie" the other day. It was excellent. Great message for kids and parents, with enough wit to entertain an adult and not lose them to "after school special" disinterest. I like that in almost every scene you could see the animators took great care to reflect their love and understanding of the Lego bricks, the way they bounce, sound, move, etc. They didn't overlook any details at all. Very entertaining as a huge Lego enthusiast.

banana-3-300x300.jpg

• Upvote 2

remember, 2 stingers for Guardian flick..1 start of credits the other is all the way at end of credits.

For future help so u dont waste time waiting in theater for no reason (or u can feel confident when folks start to leave to tell them 'there's a stinger').

I just look at title, no stinger, stinger during or stinger after. I dont undo the twistie which has what stinger is about, I am not into spoilers. I only use twistie if I saw film and missed stinger for some odd reason

http://www.mediastinger.com/in-theaters/

Edited by SouthernJet

I also watched a movie called "Out of the Furnace" which has a great cast, but what lured me in was Woody Harrelson and Christian Bale working together. I hadn't even heard of this movie, and it's probably the polar opposite of something like the Lego Movie, but it was really, really good. There were points where I wanted to say it was dragging, but I couldn't - the pace was holistically slow, but felt intentional. In the end, that pace, the moments of pause made it palpable. It was very anti-blockbuster, it could have gone a totally different way and been non-stop action with a huge climax, instead it was contemplative and the pivotal parts were subtle. I don't know what else to say about it, I enjoyed it though.

Woody Harrelson steals that flick. No easy task either considering the cast.