Movies We've Seen Thread

tarantino13f-2-web.jpg?enlarged

Cool looking poster

Pretty happy he's making it. There was an incident about a year ago where someone's agent leaked the script, and he was so pissed he canceled the film. It looked like we weren't going to get a new movie from him for quite a while. I'm phone posting so I can't link it up, but he finished casting last week. It's worth a Google, very diverse and cool cast. Old Tarantino players with some new ones.

just saw a trailer today. I think I would be thinking to myself "just don't **** up the planet in the first place" the whole time

The trailer is a little deceiving. Interstellar is essentially a movie about the Theory of Relativity. I doubt the studio had any interest in promoting that aspect of the film, so they just promoted the interplanetary aspect of it. Certainly a central theme of the movie, but not what drives the plot.

The trailer is a little deceiving. Interstellar is essentially a movie about the Theory of Relativity. I doubt the studio had any interest in promoting that aspect of the film, so they just promoted the interplanetary aspect of it. Certainly a central theme of the movie, but not what drives the plot.

gotcha.  the old time slows down to an observer for an object moving at the speed of light idea ?     was the ship propulsion based or did it fold space ?

gotcha.  the old time slows down to an observer for an object moving at the speed of light idea ?     was the ship propulsion based or did it fold space ?

Different aspect of the theory; on that a living objects age slower when they are subject to higher gravitational forces. They travel to a series of planets that are orbiting a black hole, which is why gravity is so different on the planets. Thus the people they encounter along the way age differently, and the crew ages differently than everyone back on earth. That has profound effects for the story, because it's almost like a time travel movie, but not in the traditional sense.

Endurance is propulsion, they travel through a wormhole to get to the planets, but they don't travel beyond our system because the wormhole is next to Saturn. This is one of the several homages to 2001 in the movie, which used Jupiter, but the idea is essentially the same. Nolan just replaces the monolith with a wormhole. Unlike Kubrick, by admission almost all of Interstellar does not violate the laws of physics. Nolan does violate several minor laws and terms along the way to make things easier for the audience, but he's on record admitting that he did that on purpose, and Kip Thorne does a great job of explaining how and why they thought it was necessary. Would really recommend his book if you enjoy the movie, it makes you appreciate Nolan's attention to detail on this one a lot.

Different aspect of the theory; on that a living objects age slower when they are subject to higher gravitational forces. They travel to a series of planets that are orbiting a black hole, which is why gravity is so different on the planets. Thus the people they encounter along the way age differently, and the crew ages differently than everyone back on earth. That has profound effects for the story, because it's almost like a time travel movie, but not in the traditional sense.

Endurance is propulsion, they travel through a wormhole to get to the planets, but they don't travel beyond our system because the wormhole is next to Saturn. This is one of the several homages to 2001 in the movie, which used Jupiter, but the idea is essentially the same. Nolan just replaces the monolith with a wormhole. Unlike Kubrick, by admission almost all of Interstellar does not violate the laws of physics. Nolan does violate several minor laws and terms along the way to make things easier for the audience, but he's on record admitting that he did that on purpose, and Kip Thorne does a great job of explaining how and why they thought it was necessary. Would really recommend his book if you enjoy the movie, it makes you appreciate Nolan's attention to detail on this one a lot.

so we should just cut our carbon emissions down now ?

j/k

txs for the response.  sounds interesting.  Even after googling it, I'm not sure I understand the star child from 2001, lol

when you say people on these other planets, these are other 'nauts  I assume ?  

I'm assuming the planets are in a binary system with a sun and a black hole (they really need a better name for the phenomena, lol)  as they are looking for a habitable planet.  that would be an insane place to move to.  maybe they should just step up desalination efforts and bring back the lottery

so we should just cut our carbon emissions down now ?

j/k

txs for the response. sounds interesting. Even after googling it, I'm not sure I understand the star child from 2001, lol

when you say people on these other planets, these are other 'nauts I assume ?

I'm assuming the planets are in a binary system with a sun and a black hole (they really need a better name for the phenomena, lol) as they are looking for a habitable planet. that would be an insane place to move to. maybe they should just step up desalination efforts and bring back the lottery

I don't think so. The blight that Nolan portrays is possible but not probable. His premise would be very rare from climate change alone, a perfect storm of scientific phenomena would have occur on the planet.

And yeah, that was N dG Tyson's main critique of the movie. He applauded the attention to getting the physics right, but commented that we would probably want to stay as far away from a black hole as possible. The thing is, and I don't want to give much of the movie away, it's just that the story doesn't work without the gravitational forces of a black hole.

Also, I don't think it's doable to grasp 2001 without reading Clarke's book. Kubrick decontextualizes everything so intentionally, and he and Clarke developed it all together so both would compliment each other. It's all laid out in the book quite well.

Pretty happy he's making it. There was an incident about a year ago where someone's agent leaked the script, and he was so pissed he canceled the film. It looked like we weren't going to get a new movie from him for quite a while. I'm phone posting so I can't link it up, but he finished casting last week. It's worth a Google, very diverse and cool cast. Old Tarantino players with some new ones.

Supposedly was Bruce Dern and his agent.

I don't think so. The blight that Nolan portrays is possible but not probable. His premise would be very rare from climate change alone, a perfect storm of scientific phenomena would have occur on the planet.

And yeah, that was N dG Tyson's main critique of the movie. He applauded the attention to getting the physics right, but commented that we would probably want to stay as far away from a black hole as possible. The thing is, and I don't want to give much of the movie away, it's just that the story doesn't work without the gravitational forces of a black hole.

Also, I don't think it's doable to grasp 2001 without reading Clarke's book. Kubrick decontextualizes everything so intentionally, and he and Clarke developed it all together so both would compliment each other. It's all laid out in the book quite well.

cool, txs for the reply.  I won't see this in the theatres.  it would bug the sh*t out of me.  It's weird I can suspend my disbelief for light sabres and wizards, but a black hole in the solar system, yeah no, lol

went and saw interstellar yesterday. really enjoyed it. i recommend it to any sci fi fan. it drags here and there but holy hell its visually impressive and although some dont like the story i was engaged throughout

I thought Interstellar was great.  I love the nerds trying to nitpick it - can we just apprecuiate the fact that Chris Nolan is the last director in Hollywood making big-budget original movies?

Saw The Theory of Everything (the Stephen Hawking movie). Those expecting a revealing biopic with be disappointed. It's based on a book his ex-wife wrote, so you get a lot of her looking at Hawking in a wheelchair with an angsty look in her eye. There's no real exploration of his struggle with his disease, and you don't really learn too much more about Hawking that you didn't already know: he's a huge geek-genius with a self-effacing sense of humor and a tragic malady. I think the positive reviews have more to do with people throwing bouquets at Hawking himself rather than the movie.

Frankenstein's Army is a really cool movie if you ignore how much you hate everyone in the movie. The soldiers just do eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveeeeeeeeeeerything wrong to the point where it got tedious, and they're pretty scummy anway. Still, the creature designs are insane and freaky in an industrial del Toro kind of way...really enjoyed that.

Look at what we've do...OH GOD WHAT HAVE WE DONE: Part IV

I'm sincerely hoping that the effects looked like that because they rushed the trailer out. The CG looks like sh*t.

lol, my 9 year old called out "green screen" which is his new thing

the hybrid will make it or break it

didn't the roars/effects/music remind you of godzilla '14 ?

lol, my 9 year old called out "green screen" which is his new thing

the hybrid will make it or break it

didn't the roars/effects/music remind you of godzilla '14 ?

The sharks from Sharknado looked better.

I'll probably go see it. So long as there is action and John Williams music playing on a killer sound system, I'm usually there. I think we all abandoned this being anything more than a campy franchise since the 2nd one anyways. That scene in The Lost World where Malcolm's daughter does gymnastics to beat up a raptor...I mean come on, that was it for taking any of this seriously.

The sharks from Sharknado looked better.

I'll probably go see it. So long as there is action and John Williams music playing on a killer sound system, I'm usually there. I think we all abandoned this being anything more than a campy franchise since the 2nd one anyways. That scene in The Lost World where Malcolm's daughter does gymnastics to beat up a raptor...I mean come on, that was it for taking any of this seriously.

yeah the sins are plentiful.  my son was very excited to see the Liopleurodon.  He taught me what it was.  I'm already committed to taking my son, he's in that awesome prehistoric stage, megalodon, titanoboa, etc etc

I hope the hybrid isn't just t-rex with spinosaurus spine

Based on the reviews, it looks like Exodus is goin to be the typical Ridley Scott release. Where half the flick looks muddled and messy because the studio ****ed with it, then two years from now we'll get the director's cut and it will be amazing.

The interview he gave about the casting protests was pretty awesome. He was very candid and basically said Hollywood is too racist to finance flicks like Exodus or Kingdom of Heaven if he doesn't cast famous white actors.

Based on the reviews, it looks like Exodus is goin to be the typical Ridley Scott release. Where half the flick looks muddled and messy because the studio ****ed with it, then two years from now we'll get the director's cut and it will be amazing.

The interview he gave about the casting protests was pretty awesome. He was very candid and basically said Hollywood is too racist to finance flicks like Exodus or Kingdom of Heaven if he doesn't cast famous white actors.

Pharaoh Ramses looks like comedian Bob Kelly.