Movies We've Seen Thread

so I had some rare grown up time to watch an R rated movie recently so I found silence of the lambs on demand or wherever

still holds up

obviously hopkins is amazing, but I thought the whole cast was great, bill, the FBI guys, everybody

the exception was jodi foster.  I thought she was stiff and forced

the real star is the story.  holy crap.  the way it unfolds, even when you know why bill is doing it, is just chilling

Saw Child 44: two of my favorite actors and I also did Naomi Rapace.  They really had something with that story, just needed to flesh out the characters a bit more and do something about this brutal accents. Still it's worth it to watch Hardy and Oldman. 

Re-watched The Drop as well. Really miss Gandolfini and Hardy is an absolute super force. I'll say it, I thought he did a better job in The Revanent than Leo, he actually spoke, but whatevs. 

On February 15, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Larz said:

so I had some rare grown up time to watch an R rated movie recently so I found silence of the lambs on demand or wherever

still holds up

obviously hopkins is amazing, but I thought the whole cast was great, bill, the FBI guys, everybody

the exception was jodi foster.  I thought she was stiff and forced

the real star is the story.  holy crap.  the way it unfolds, even when you know why bill is doing it, is just chilling

I remember being completely freaked out by the book.  An awesome read.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I remember being completely freaked out by the book.  An awesome read.

I read john douglas' "mind hunter" and was completely freaked out.  the darkness, the evil.  Douglas is the guy who they modeled jack crawford after, but you knew that

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Saw Child 44: two of my favorite actors and I also did Naomi Rapace.  They really had something with that story, just needed to flesh out the characters a bit more and do something about this brutal accents. Still it's worth it to watch Hardy and Oldman. 

Re-watched The Drop as well. Really miss Gandolfini and Hardy is an absolute super force. I'll say it, I thought he did a better job in The Revanent than Leo, he actually spoke, but whatevs. 

Lie

So the big take on geek websites this week is that the verdict from early screenings of BvS is if you loved MoS, you'll love BvS. If you hated Man of Steel, it's probably not your cup of tea. Most importantly Affleck steals the show, and they're saying that if BvS doesn't cross the $1 billion mark, they'll delay Justice League and delay it in favor of more Batman movies with Affleck. This kinda goes with the screenings they did with execs in December where supposedly the studio execs went bonkers over Affleck's Wayne.

And that's great to hear. I loved the sh*t out of MoS, but that still doesn't excuse spoiling Doomsday for everyone.

On 2/18/2016 at 10:37 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

So the big take on geek websites this week is that the verdict from early screenings of BvS is if you loved MoS, you'll love BvS. If you hated Man of Steel, it's probably not your cup of tea. Most importantly Affleck steals the show, and they're saying that if BvS doesn't cross the $1 billion mark, they'll delay Justice League and delay it in favor of more Batman movies with Affleck. This kinda goes with the screenings they did with execs in December where supposedly the studio execs went bonkers over Affleck's Wayne.

And that's great to hear. I loved the sh*t out of MoS, but that still doesn't excuse spoiling Doomsday for everyone.

I can't think of a movie I am less interested in than that one.  you could pay my way and I wouldn't go

so I read the green mile `10 years ago, but only saw the movie friday night

holy sh*t

the thing about king is his characters are so fleshed out, so fully developed, you feel like you have known them your whole life. It felt like I had read the book only a month ago

I was wondering how they were going to do the execution of Del, and they didn't hold back.  wow

percy is a great antagonist, but paul is a better protagonist

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Saw Meru, twice. Absolutely sensational. Recommend it to everyone. Best 90 minutes, err 180 minutes that I spent in a while. Damned good. 

I know everyone's caught up on the race stuff with this year's awards, but the fact that Meru didn't even get a nomination is ******* ridiculous. Two of the best climbers of the past two generations summitted arguably the toughest peak in history with cameras on them the entire way, combined with the story of what that team went through over several years to accomplish that, it's just insane. Do you know how hard it is to get shots like that during Himalayan wall climbing? Especially on a mountain like Meru? And on THE SHARK'S FIN OF MERU?? WHAT!

Jimmy ******* Chin. Guy is just the man and has been doing this type of stuff for years and Hollywood couldn't care less. Such a shame. The work deserved better. But hey, someone edited a bunch of Amy Winehouse clips together and another guy followed border patrol agents around with night vision for a few days.

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I know everyone's caught up on the race stuff with this year's awards, but the fact that Meru didn't even get a nomination is ******* ridiculous. Two of the best climbers of the past two generations summitted arguably the toughest peak in history with cameras on them the entire way, combined with the story of what that team went through over several years to accomplish that, it's just insane. Do you know how hard it is to get shots like that during Himalayan wall climbing? Especially on a mountain like Meru? And on THE SHARK'S FIN OF MERU?? WHAT!

Jimmy ******* Chin. Guy is just the man and has been doing this type of stuff for years and Hollywood couldn't care less. Such a shame. The work deserved better. But hey, someone edited a bunch of Amy Winehouse clips together and another guy followed border patrol agents around with night vision for a few days.

Chin is a badass among an entire elite group of badasses, he skied down Everest. That documentary got absolutely hosed, there's no reason it shouldn't have been nominated and no reason it shouldn't have won, easily. They sacrificed food to carry camera equipment up...  Like, really?  I grew up in the Adirondacks so I've heard of the guys peripherally, but never knew how badass they were until this past week. God damn. 

On 2/21/2016 at 7:28 AM, Larz said:

so I read the green mile `10 years ago, but only saw the movie friday night

holy sh*t

the thing about king is his characters are so fleshed out, so fully developed, you feel like you have known them your whole life. It felt like I had read the book only a month ago

I was wondering how they were going to do the execution of Del, and they didn't hold back.  wow

percy is a great antagonist, but paul is a better protagonist

Perfectly cast, perfectly done.  Shawshank, same thing.  The original Stand By Me, same thing.

The one book of his I wish they'd have done is "Running Man"  Yeah, they made it an Arnold Movie, but that had NOTHING to do with the book, other than a few names.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I watched White Men Can't Jump the other night for the first time in... 15 years.

I love that movie.  Love it. 

Side note, I had to look it up.  Snipes is 5'9", Woody is 5'10".   They must have been playing with 9 foot rims.  :)

Great movie.  To this day, when I get excited, I still say and do this move:

Judge me.

b9a14b2065ad4b47560bddad4639844b8b208ef0

• Upvote 1

Watched deadpool yesterday, and it was awesome. Story was cool, action and humor throughout,  the lovely ladies were the icing on the cake.  Yay for R-rated comic movies.

Don't be that guy/family that brings children to this movie. It's not for kids, had a couple of idiots in the theater with their kids. 

6 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Chin is a badass among an entire elite group of badasses, he skied down Everest. That documentary got absolutely hosed, there's no reason it shouldn't have been nominated and no reason it shouldn't have won, easily. They sacrificed food to carry camera equipment up...  Like, really?  I grew up in the Adirondacks so I've heard of the guys peripherally, but never knew how badass they were until this past week. God damn. 

Check out The Wildest Dream. It's a bit cheesy at points but Anker climbs the Second Step on Everest without the ladder on camera. Crazy sh*t.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I mean, I suspected this to be horrible and ruin another one of my favorite all time funny movies (see: Anchorman 2) but was it that bad?  Like, unwatchable bad? 

It was pretty damn bad.  Definitely not worth going to see in the movie theater.  The next time I watch it will be five years from now when it pops up on FX or something like that.  

On 12/11/2015 at 10:16 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

So seeing the Apocalypse trailer, and the BvS trailer, and the Civil War trailer...I dunno. I guess the whole we must save the city/country/world/universe from total annihilation theme, isn't it starting to get a little old?

I think this is what endeared comic fans to Dredd so much.  Or why everyone loves Marvel's Netflix series. There are universes you can create and stories you can tell where not everything comes down to we have to save everyone all the time. Comic books certainly don't work like that, I'm not sure why the movies have to.

Speaking of the above, which I am always unnecessarily upset about: Bam. Boom. On the sequel, thank you Deadpool writers:

"“We don’t want $150 million to go make the next movie, that’s not Deadpool. Deadpool doesn’t lift cities up into the air or battle aliens coming down to earth, that’s just not Deadpool. So we’re happy in that little small budget range that they have us in; we don’t wanna blow this next one out,” Wernick told Collider."

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, chirorob said:

Perfectly cast, perfectly done.  Shawshank, same thing.  The original Stand By Me, same thing.

The one book of his I wish they'd have done is "Running Man"  Yeah, they made it an Arnold Movie, but that had NOTHING to do with the book, other than a few names.

And the one short story I wish they made a movie of is 'The Long Walk', one of my favorites.

20 hours ago, Alk said:

It was pretty damn bad.  Definitely not worth going to see in the movie theater.  The next time I watch it will be five years from now when it pops up on FX or something like that.  

That's sad.  I'll have to see it because I loved the first one...but definitely not going to pay for it now.  haha

Dont really get the Deadpool hype.  It was good. Dont get me wrong.  It was funny and entertaining but there was really nothing to it.  No suspense, no drama, no holy sh*t moments, no fun twists or turns to the plot.  It was just a comedy sprinkled with some action with a rather mediocre plot.  The lack of a good villain was a little disappointing. 

I mean, if all that makes it great, is that it was R and they cursed and showed nudity and blood, I guess that's cool as it opens up the door to more Superhero movies pushing the envelop.  But it didnt make the experience/movie any better for me.  

I thought it was a good representation of the character and Reynolds fits it well but the movie itself, was very blah.  Nothing actually happened outside of some laughs and bloody fight scenes.

Oh and the X-men who were featured were terrible.  That version of Colossus was straight up awful.  Literally laughable how bad that character was.