Movies We've Seen Thread

Needed a funny not serious movie to watch last night after a long day.  The gf chose People Places Things on Netflix.  I really liked it.  Funny as hell. I'm a sucker for all father/son, father/daughter type movies so I'm biased but I laughed a lot. 

Kiiiiiinda want to see Creed today because Michael B Jordan is great, but I'm not sure I can handle looking a Sylvester Stallone's face for two hours

Watched it with th family this past weekend, and much to my surprise it worked. Borders the cheesy every now and then, but overall it worked. Same circle as Rocky I.

My disinterested in everything 16 year old even liked it.

Is this going to be awesome or terrible? Cant tell.  I want it to be awesome as a Batman fanboy but I'm so nervous about Affleck and just too much going on that I dont know what to think:

I'm more excited about Suicide Squad tbh. Margot robbie is the bees knees.

Where's that jared leto pic that dom or ape wanted quoted like 20 times? 

Anyone got any good Netflix or HBO recommendations for a "Netflix and Chill" kinda night? The woman is coming over for the weekend and loves to watch movies, but we have very different tastes. I like good/great/epic movies. She likes sh*tty movies. Need a compromise. Something in the realm of Crazy, Stupid, Love would work, probably.

Needed a funny not serious movie to watch last night after a long day.  The gf chose People Places Things on Netflix.  I really liked it.  Funny as hell. I'm a sucker for all father/son, father/daughter type movies so I'm biased but I laughed a lot. 

Anyone got any good Netflix or HBO recommendations for a "Netflix and Chill" kinda night? The woman is coming over for the weekend and loves to watch movies, but we have very different tastes. I like good/great/epic movies. She likes sh*tty movies. Need a compromise. Something in the realm of Crazy, Stupid, Love would work, probably.

I can relate.  

Try "People Places Things"...perfect date night movie.  

Is this going to be awesome or terrible? Cant tell.  I want it to be awesome as a Batman fanboy but I'm so nervous about Affleck and just too much going on that I dont know what to think:

Supposedly Affleck got a standing ovation as Batman at a screening a couple months back and they want to start a franchise with him as the star.

Bruce Wayne is not a difficult role as long as the script is good. 

Re: So I've had a few days to sit on the BvS trailer, a few things:

The bad:

- First and most importantly, why the F-CK would you give away the ENTIRE movie in a trailer? Everyone's role, the entire story, we know everything from beginning to end now. What the ******* ****.

- Doomsday looks like sh*t. I sincerely hope that this is a reflection of either an unfinished product or that they're incorporating his ability to physically alter over time, and that's just how he looks when he first emerges.

- If Doomsday is a Lex creation I'm going to kill someone. That is wrong, wrong, wrongity wrong wrong.

- I sincerely hope they wrote the overly sarcastic Lex because he's just acting that way to manipulate people, and this will change over time too. If we're getting subjected to Gene Hackman's Lex, again, it will be a wasted opportunity of a billion degrees.

The good:

- Affleck looks awesome. Said it when he was cast, I don't give a **** what people think about a sh*tty movie he did 15 years ago, the dude was born to play Bruce Wayne.

- Snyder and Terrio look like they absolutely nailed the f-cked up, cynical side of Bruce that no other director has really gone after, including Nolan. And I think that's important for establishing his role in the Justice League, because his relationship with every one of them sans Clark has always been to keep them at an arms length for fear of worst case scenarios.

- Excepting Doomsday of course, everything else just looks A+++. And it's nice getting a different visual aesthetic than the Marvel movies.

- That end shot of the trinity, yes please.

All in all I'm still very excited for the flick, but for different reasons now. I think going forward I'm just excited for Snyder's version of Batman, which looks hella awesome and a complete 180 from Nolan's take.

Oh, and Batman has a gun because he has used guns multiple ******* times across a billion different issues. I wish people would stop bitching about this. Ignorant bitches.

Make a giant suit of armor and leave the chin area exposed. Seems logical.

This is not a ground-breaking observation you're making here. It's deliberate. The entire scene and design, flaw included, is literally straight from TDKR, and it's what Supes uses to tear the helmet off during their fight.

http://static.srcdn.com/slir/w700-h350-q90-c700:350/wp-content/uploads/Batman-V-Superman-Dark-Knight-Returns-Armor.jpg

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/LjJJnQoTPCAUjHpusy39mOZCm6o=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3618746/supbat1.0.jpg

The Nets are a non-entity and I have nothing else to antagonize you about.

Just watched the latest Terminator flick. Wow not only did this piece of sh*t waste my time but really killed the franchise as a whole (not that it wasn't already dead). Took the original story and took into a new direction. Failed miserably.

it was the worst movie I've seen all year

everything sucked, was totally boring

Rented Ant Man last night. Really dont know what to think.  

There were times the special effects looked like 80's bad.  The plot and acting was meh  The ending was super corny.  Not sure if some of the humor was intentional or not.  I know nothing about the character so I cant get mad at any of it this because I dont know if that's how it should have been portrayed.  Some of the fight scenes were cool, I guess.

I think I didnt like it but I didnt find myself saying, wow this sucks while watching it.  Maybe his character just isnt that interesting? 

So seeing the Apocalypse trailer, and the BvS trailer, and the Civil War trailer...I dunno. I guess the whole we must save the city/country/world/universe from total annihilation theme, isn't it starting to get a little old?

I think this is what endeared comic fans to Dredd so much.  Or why everyone loves Marvel's Netflix series. There are universes you can create and stories you can tell where not everything comes down to we have to save everyone all the time. Comic books certainly don't work like that, I'm not sure why the movies have to.

• Upvote 1

In the Heart of the Sea is such a letdown. Just a watered down, Hollywoodized version of Philbrick's book. A formulaic version of a story that is in no way formulaic. And they center the entire thing around Melville and Moby Dick and that's just not the ******* story. Just a lame effort by Ron Howard, he took one of the best nonfiction books in existence and made it into a dime-a-dozen blockbuster.

Rented Ant Man last night. Really dont know what to think.  

There were times the special effects looked like 80's bad.  The plot and acting was meh  The ending was super corny.  Not sure if some of the humor was intentional or not.  I know nothing about the character so I cant get mad at any of it this because I dont know if that's how it should have been portrayed.  Some of the fight scenes were cool, I guess.

I think I didnt like it but I didnt find myself saying, wow this sucks while watching it.  Maybe his character just isnt that interesting? 

ant-man was ok I really don't get what all the fuss was about

In the Heart of the Sea is such a letdown. Just a watered down, Hollywoodized version of Philbrick's book. A formulaic version of a story that is in no way formulaic. And they center the entire thing around Melville and Moby Dick and that's just not the ******* story. Just a lame effort by Ron Howard, he took one of the best nonfiction books in existence and made it into a dime-a-dozen blockbuster.

Every time the commercial comes on I tell me wife "I read that book."   She kept rolling her eyes until I explained it.  After the opening weekend I told her not worry about it because it probably wouldn't be around long. 

One of the few people on earth who went to the movies last night but didn't see Star Wars.

Checked out SPOTLIGHT. Important, powerful movie. Not the feel good movie of the year. Star studded cast with great performances, particularly Mark Ruffalo.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Every time the commercial comes on I tell me wife "I read that book."   She kept rolling her eyes until I explained it.  After the opening weekend I told her not worry about it because it probably wouldn't be around long. 

Yeah, my wife got me an autographed copy of Mayflower a ways back because I'm such a huge Philbrick fan. Was thrilled that something of his was getting adapted because he has such a talent for weaving well-researched nonfiction in ways that are more entertaining than most fiction writers. I had a bad feeling when I heard Howard was directing it because he tends to be a bit formulaic when telling stories, but then I saw the trailer last year and was blown away. This may sound silly with seeing things like The Phantom Menace or Godfather III in my life but I don't think I've ever been so let down by a movie. I dunno. Such a waste.

Yeah, my wife got me an autographed copy of Mayflower a ways back because I'm such a huge Philbrick fan. Was thrilled that something of his was getting adapted because he has such a talent for weaving well-researched nonfiction in ways that are more entertaining than most fiction writers. I had a bad feeling when I heard Howard was directing it because he tends to be a bit formulaic when telling stories, but then I saw the trailer last year and was blown away. This may sound silly with seeing things like The Phantom Menace or Godfather III in my life but I don't think I've ever been so let down by a movie. I dunno. Such a waste.

They're both great books. The commercial makes the whale look like CGI well out of whack with the size of the original true story mostly because they can do that.As if a huge whale ramming into a wooden ship wasn't awful enough. Will probably catch it when it comes on cable or cheap on Netflix. 

They're both great books. The commercial makes the whale look like CGI well out of whack with the size of the original true story mostly because they can do that.As if a huge whale ramming into a wooden ship wasn't awful enough. Will probably catch it when it comes on cable or cheap on Netflix. 

The thing that drives Philbrick's book is not the Moby Dick legacy at all, and as you know it's such a small part of the book. Philbrick dedicates so much of the book into explaining how the sociopolitical aspects of Nantucket shaped everything; including how the boats were organized after the ship sunk and the complete mishandling of where they chose to go after heading into the boats. Howard dedicates maybe, MAYBE 2 minutes of the movie to any of this. The only thing the movie is about, essentially, is the Moby Dick thing. They completely fabricate a meeting with Melville and Nickerson that never happened, which does a disservice to both Melville's research of Chase's account and the time Nickerson put into his. All so they could market it the movie as THE REAL MOBY DICK, THIS IS EXACTLY HOW MELVILLE WROTE MOBY DICK BECAUSE MOBY DICK. Ugh, this is making me all mad again.

The thing that drives Philbrick's book is not the Moby Dick legacy at all, and as you know it's such a small part of the book. Philbrick dedicates so much of the book into explaining how the sociopolitical aspects of Nantucket shaped everything; including how the boats were organized after the ship sunk and the complete mishandling of where they chose to go after heading into the boats. Howard dedicates maybe, MAYBE 2 minutes of the movie to any of this. The only thing the movie is about, essentially, is the Moby Dick thing. They completely fabricate a meeting with Melville and Nickerson that never happened, which does a disservice to both Melville's research of Chase's account and the time Nickerson put into his. All so they could market it the movie as THE REAL MOBY DICK, THIS IS EXACTLY HOW MELVILLE WROTE MOBY DICK BECAUSE MOBY DICK. Ugh, this is making me all mad again.

I was going to say...

It seems like they wanted to make Moby Dick.  If that is the case, why not just make Moby Dick?  I thought that Melville did meet up with some of those guys, but IIRC he was using Chase's narrative and not Nickerson's.