Movies We've Seen Thread

On 2/23/2016 at 5:17 AM, Fishooked said:

And the one short story I wish they made a movie of is 'The Long Walk', one of my favorites.

Man it was over 20 years ago when I read that one. Honest had to google the title just to remind myself which one it was. King wrote some sick short stories. Not sure of the title but he had one about a guy on a deserted Island who  had to eat himself just to stay alive. Awesome stuff.

17 hours ago, rillo said:

Always go back and forth on this movie a lot. Have it sitting on my server for years now, and never get the balls to watch it. 

I have this bad habit of putting movies on late at night when I know I am probably going to pass out and and not finish it. I definitely dozed off during some parts, so I may need to rewatch to piece together what the **** I just watched. 

57 minutes ago, Fishooked said:

I have this bad habit of putting movies on late at night when I know I am probably going to pass out and and not finish it. I definitely dozed off during some parts, so I may need to rewatch to piece together what the **** I just watched. 

I've gotten some cliff notes on this movie from people who've watched it....I don't think I want to TBH

Saw Deadpool on Saturday, and kinda loved it.

Also saw The Force Awakens again, because I hadn't had the opportunity to see it in the theatre a 2nd time, and wanted to badly... the first viewing was goosebumps, because I had sheltered myself from all the talk about it.... the second viewing was geekout, because I have been watching all sorts of theories and easter egg sh*t on youtube. Totally different viewings. Totally awesome both times.

On 2/25/2016 at 2:29 PM, slowmoe57 said:

Man it was over 20 years ago when I read that one. Honest had to google the title just to remind myself which one it was. King wrote some sick short stories. Not sure of the title but he had one about a guy on a deserted Island who  had to eat himself just to stay alive. Awesome stuff.

That was in a book of short stories.   How the guy was literally drooling looking at his own foot.

Finally got around to Creed. I thought it was great. It's formulaic and predictable, but it's a Rocky flick so that's completely cool. Nobody watches Rocky movies for plot twists. I like that they kept continuity from Rocky Balboa both in substance and style, and I think the only thing that bothered me was the constant product placement with all the Nike stuff.

The boxing scenes however are some of the best filmed boxing sequences that I've ever seen. From training exercises to sparring to the fight scenes, legit might be the best ever put on film for a boxing movie, which is nuts considering the boxing scenes from this franchise used to be the most preposterously awesome fight scenes.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Saw spotlight; great cast, everyone did a solid job, especially loved Schreiber and Ruffalo, but they always kill it so I wasn't too surprised.  Still think I might have preferred Bridge of Spies, but that might be my affinity for anything WWI/II/Cold War coming through.  

Like Spotlight. Schreiber was literally the complete opposite in every way humanly possible of his "Ray Donovan" character which was kinda fun. Not sure if they cast him knowing that or simply played it up. 

"Bridge" was good. But they made Hanks' everyman thing cover up for the fact that the protagonist was part of the OSS/CIA his whole career rather than some naive guy plucked from obscurity.And they soft-pedaled the harm Abel did. He got spies for us killed and stole secrets. 

so I added to my collection of 40 year old movies I haven't seen start to finish with no interruptions in 20 years recently

I caught one flew over the cukoo's nest on demand or netflix last week.  sure nicholson and louise fletcher were great but holy sh*t danny devito was amazing.  his charater wasn't a huge part, but they way he played the child like personality was so consistent and believable it was a real accomplishment.

I usually go to imdb after a flick like that to check it out further and holy sh*t the guy who played billy (the one who kills himself) played wormtongue in lord of the rings ! 

one of the best trivia items I've read : Author Ken Kesey was so bitter about the way the filmmakers were "butchering" his story that he vowed never to watch the completed film and even sued the movie's producers because it wasn't shown from Chief Bromden's perspective (as the novel is). Years later, he claimed to be lying in bed flipping through TV channels when he settled onto a late-night movie that looked sort of interesting, only to realize after a few minutes that it was this film. He then changed channels.

wowza

• Upvote 2

On 2/5/2016 at 0:02 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

I enjoyed Everest much more than I thought I would. It's actually a pretty accurate climbing movie, and though some of the events of '96 are sensationalized, I think any reasonable viewer can accept that you have to do that a little bit within the context of a 2-hour feature movie.

This is a flick that I avoided like the plague when it was in theaters, and I'm kind of regretting it now. It probably was something great in IMAX. At the time I felt that it would perpetrate a stereotype about climbers and climbing that we're all reckless and seconds away from death on any mountain, which is at least my experience in discussing what I do with friends or family. What I've always tried explaining with situations like '96 is that those are instances of human error. Really bad judgement that good guides and good climbers should never be making out of respect for putting everyone's lives at risk, not just in the moment but also in the event of having to mount a potential rescue. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the makers of Everest did not try to hide any of that at all. Fischer should have set a timetable for how long it would be acceptable to wait at the Hillary Step, and his allowance of Boukreev to guide clients without oxygen is to this day one of the dumbest things a guide has ever done in history. Hall blatantly disregarded weather reports and summitted way too late. He knew better. I could go on and on about this. It's a series of events that are unbelievably infuriating to discuss. That's really the crux of what happened and I think the movie did a good enough job of displaying that was the case.

Just watched this last night....I feel like adding Jake Gyllenhall & Sam Worthington was kind of a waste, those guys didn't get nearly enough screen time as I thought they should have. Jason Clarke did a great job and I hope to see him in more films. 

Spotlight was a solid movie.  Ruffalo has ridiculous range.

Everyone pretty much killed it.  Being raised a devote Catholic and slowly becoming disengaged in the institution, this movie kind of made me remember why.  Wow.

And **** Boston.  What a sh*t hole.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Alk said:

I went to see 10 Cloverfield Lane this weekend.  I thought it was a great movie.  Don't go into expecting Cloverfield though.  

Nuts....I really wanted another good Cloverfield monster movie, loved the first one...even if I did have to sit through the first half hour of bs. 

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Alright, Spotlight is certainly fantastic and worthy of all the praise it has received; but come on, there's no way this is an objectively better exercise in filmmaking than Mad Max. Just no way. I get that the Academy is usually a little biased against SciFi and action movies, but no way.

With the editing and the cinematography being so well done, I feel like it's this generations' The Matrix, I really do. 

On 3/14/2016 at 3:45 PM, Alk said:

I went to see 10 Cloverfield Lane this weekend.  I thought it was a great movie.  Don't go into expecting Cloverfield though.  

Good to hear, because cloverfield was pretty sh*tty IMO.

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2016 at 10:02 PM, Larz said:

famous last lines.....

name the movie then post the last line(s) from a movie for us to guess.   no google

"you gonna stick around for your share? "

"nah, I'd just blow it"

I was wrong.   Great movie though.