All things Cotchery

MarylandJetsFan

Let him heal up, and get healthy....

Jerricho had an off year last year, but he's been a solid player his entire career for the Jets, and is only 29.

People forget all the big catches he has made over the years. Even in the playoffs last year, Cotch had the big play to beat the Patriots....

Derrick Mason?? You got to be kidding me... He's a 37 year old smurf malcotent. Let him complain in Baltimore.....

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be devastated if we lose him. He was so consistent up until last season and even then he produced in the playoffs. We shouldn't be letting him go.

HUGE play against the Pats. Yet, I'm ambivalent from a football standpoint. From a personal standpoint, I love him and want to see him on a Jet team that wins it all.

Cotchery was HORRIBLE last year. That should at least worry you for this year. I don't want Mason either but they can upgrade that position.

He was playing hurt last year. His back was an issue for him most of the season.

For the past 4-5 years many Jets fans have groaned about their WRs not being able to separate from defensive backs, while running routes. Then we got Santonio and Braylon, and saw them get separation.

Perhaps the problem was... Cotchery is slow. I love the guy, he's easily the most likable Jet on this roster the past few years. However, he's just not great. He's good.

Bringing Mason on-board may not mean Cotchery is going anywhere, to be honest. If there is one position I am very okay with them going with a core of veterans its at WR. Reliable WRs are very hard to develop, and we are in win now mode. Veteran WRs make young QBs better.

Holmes, Plax, Mason, Cotch, Kerley, Turner. That is the 6 I'd like to see us come into the season with. Throw the other 2 rooks on the practice squad or something.

For the past 4-5 years many Jets fans have groaned about their WRs not being able to separate from defensive backs, while running routes. Then we got Santonio and Braylon, and saw them get separation.

Perhaps the problem was... Cotchery is slow. I love the guy, he's easily the most likable Jet on this roster the past few years. However, he's just not great. He's good.

Bringing Mason on-board may not mean Cotchery is going anywhere, to be honest. If there is one position I am very okay with them going with a core of veterans its at WR. Reliable WRs are very hard to develop, and we are in win now mode. Veteran WRs make young QBs better.

Holmes, Plax, Mason, Cotch, Kerley, Turner. That is the 6 I'd like to see us come into the season with. Throw the other 2 rooks on the practice squad or something.

I get what you're saying, but it's not exactly like a 37 year old Derrick Mason is going to be any quicker than Cotchery. If Mason is an addition, then I'm more than fine it, but if he's a replacement I think it's a horrible idea. The Jets have given Sanchez absolutely no consistency in his WR corps throughout his career, and this would only be setting that trend up to continue. Not only are we talking about this year where you would be getting rid of the WR Sanchez has the most experience with and replacing him with a guy he'll have a month to work with before opening day, but beyond that, Mason isn't going to be around very long and likely neither is Burress, so they'll be doing this all over again in no time.

On a side note, can anyone tell me the recent infatuation so many people have with Patrick Turner? I've seen no reason to believe the guy will be anything worthwhile, and saw his addition to the roster last year much more related to the fact that the Jets WRs after Cotchery were a complete joke and Cotch was hurt. Even still, he contributed next to nothing. I think it's certainly feasible that they don't even bother to carry that many WRs or even if they do, he could get beat out for the spot, maybe even by Scotty McWhite.

If they bring in Mason and keep Cotchery, how many WRs will be on the roster and how many do you think they will activate for gameday? It seems very crowded.

I get what you're saying, but it's not exactly like a 37 year old Derrick Mason is going to be any quicker than Cotchery. If Mason is an addition, then I'm more than fine it, but if he's a replacement I think it's a horrible idea. The Jets have given Sanchez absolutely no consistency in his WR corps throughout his career, and this would only be setting that trend up to continue. Not only are we talking about this year where you would be getting rid of the WR Sanchez has the most experience with and replacing him with a guy he'll have a month to work with before opening day, but beyond that, Mason isn't going to be around very long and likely neither is Burress, so they'll be doing this all over again in no time.

On a side note, can anyone tell me the recent infatuation so many people have with Patrick Turner? I've seen no reason to believe the guy will be anything worthwhile, and saw his addition to the roster last year much more related to the fact that the Jets WRs after Cotchery were a complete joke and Cotch was hurt. Even still, he contributed next to nothing. I think it's certainly feasible that they don't even bother to carry that many WRs or even if they do, he could get beat out for the spot, maybe even by Scotty McWhite.

I figured Turner makes the active roster, over McKnight - simply because I don't think Turner can go on the P-squad. I think when it comes to 4-5-6 WRs special teams is going to be a big factor. Kerley is already a given to be a S/T player. Don't know if Turner plays S/T to be honest.

Maybe we only activate 5 WR's on game day, and 4 RBs... with JOE McKnight playing some WR and S/T?

I figured Turner makes the active roster, over McKnight - simply because I don't think Turner can go on the P-squad. I think when it comes to 4-5-6 WRs special teams is going to be a big factor. Kerley is already a given to be a S/T player. Don't know if Turner plays S/T to be honest.

Maybe we only activate 5 WR's on game day, and 4 RBs... with JOE McKnight playing some WR and S/T?

I definitely think there's a good chance of a couple of the lower end WRs who make the team not making the game day roster because of special teams. As you said, Kerley clearly isn't a question there, but it's not like the Jets are such a pass heavy offense that they need so many WRs active, not to mention they have guys like McKnight and Keller who can line up out wide.

I also think as you alluded to, there's a very good chance McKnight takes an active spot from a WR, as he proved his worth on ST last year. While it never really happened during the year, he looked pretty good as a returner last preseason and was great as a gunner on punts in the second half of the year. Come to think of it, I think Smith was really the only Jets WR to play ST last year (outside of early in the year when they tried and failed with Clowney as a gunner), so that might not be an ultimate decision maker as long as they have enough STs contributors from other spots on the team.

Agree

They brought Turner in because he was Sanchez's go to guy at USC. He also has, on paper at least, great size speed ratio. Living in South Florida I actually watch all Fish pre season games (desperate). Turner was awful in two preseasons, then cut. Looked like he never played the game before. Maybe that is a reflection of the Fish's coaching staff, but the guy was bad.

Didn't show much with the Jets either. Maybe he's been reborn in the off season, but I've yet to see anything out of him to indicate he is an NFL WR

I know he lost a step............. But not even worthy of a roster spot? We give $3M to a huge question mark like Plax but a stand up leader like Cotch just has no room?

This is one of those moves that you need to have faith in our coaches and understand that maybe he just doesn't look good in practice or something. This is just the opinion of a humble couch GM.

Archived