All things Cotchery

MarylandJetsFan

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Floyd, but he's hurt a lot. No interest in yet another old guy (Moss, TO).

The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer they go after Kevin Boss at TE. Let a couple kids make the roster at WR. Still have Holmes, Plax, Keller, & LT available to catch the ball on any given down. Throw Joe McKnight and Kerley in there. Having an extra blocking TD who can also make a contribution in the red zone would be a good thing, IMHO.

Everything I've read says:

1) The Jets released Cotchery at HIS request.

2) Sanchez said Cotchery told him he was going to ask for a release earlier this week (even before Mason came in).

3) The Jets have not yet signed Mason.

4) Rex said that the Jets would have kept Cotchery even if they'd sign Mason.

So WTF is going on with Cotchery and why is the FO getting so much grief when the player, himself, asked for the release?

so cotch thought he's a number 2, a feeling shared by himself, blackout and a handful of jets fans only, and wanted a chance to start?

I think he is a #2 on most teams. He was a warrior for us for many years when we didn't even have a #1 to protect him. Always had great hands (until last season for some reason) and made tough catches. I'll wish him well but we move on and that's that.

The Jets asked him to take a pay cut. He said no, pay me, trade me or release me.

Really hard to believe that if the Jets wanted to keep Cotch and pay him his salary they would have honored his request.

Mark Sanchez: Please release me, I want to play for the Oakland Raiders.

Tanny: Um, okay.

I call B.S.

The Jets asked him to take a pay cut. He said no, pay me, trade me or release me.

Really hard to believe that if the Jets wanted to keep Cotch and pay him his salary they would have honored his request.

Mark Sanchez: Please release me, I want to play for the Oakland Raiders.

Tanny: Um, okay.

I call B.S.

Yep. He was getting tossed one way or another. Shameful by the Jets to paint it any other way.

I think its more mutual than anyone is making it out to be. The Jets had no plans of making Cotch a full time starter. Cotch is 29 years old, in the waning years of his prime. He has no intention of spending the rest of what little time he has left not knowing how many reps he'll be getting from game to game. He also probably would like to be paid more like a starter. Again, the Jets having no plans of making him a starter, had no plans of paying him like one. Long story short, probably best to let him move on...even if Mark and Rex would have liked him to stay for the luxury of having him.

Politi: Jerricho Cotchery knows in a game of dollars, it's sometimes hard to find sense

Published: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 10:34 PM Updated: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 10:46 PM

By Steve Politi/Star-Ledger Columnist The Star-Ledger

Ed Murray/The Star-LedgerReceiver Jerricho Cotchery is focused on practice today before being released by the Jets.

On his final day with the Jets, receiver Jerricho Cotchery kept thinking back to his first one.

He remembered how he felt as a rookie, a combination of eager and overwhelmed, when two veterans named Curtis Martin and Chad Pennington addressed the newcomers about the expectations that came with the uniform.

Jets head coach Rex Ryan announces Jerricho Cotchery is no longer with the team

New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan announced that wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery has requested to be traded and will no longer be on the team. (Video by Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger)

Watch video

“I always envisioned myself doing that someday,” Cotchery said today, “but that’s not going to happen now. It’s tough.”

His eyes were moist as he spoke and his voice a bit strained, but his head was held high. For 136 days during the lockout, NFL fans saw nothing but the cold business side of this sport.

Now, on the day the players ratified the new agreement to make the sport whole again, they were reminded that the business hasn’t gotten any warmer or fuzzier. The Jets released Cotchery, one of the classiest players in the organization’s history, just as this promising season really got started.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said Cotchery had asked for a release, and that the team had tried to talk him into staying. Cotchery admitted a change of scenery might be for the best. But he sounded devastated at the news, and he hinted that he wasn’t willing to take a pay cut to stay with the only team he’s known.

“I love being a Jet, man. I love being a Jet,” he said. “Sometimes, things don’t work out the way you want them to work out. I’ve seen it happen time after time since I’ve been here.”

It isn’t just the Jets, of course, who have cut popular players. The Giants released two of their longtime leaders, Shaun O’Hara and Rich Seubert. The player who replaced Cotchery with the Jets, Derrick Mason, was a well-liked figure in Baltimore before that franchise let him go.

“Everyone wants that dream scenario where they play their entire career with one team,” Cotchery said, “but it doesn’t happen that often.”

Cotchery, 29, caught 41 passes for 433 yards during the regular season, including one spectacular overtime grab after tearing his groin that helped the Jets survive against Cleveland. Cotchery also had a crucial 58-yard catch in the playoff victory over New England that helped tilt that game in the Jets favor.

He’ll be missed on the field, but the bigger void will come in leadership. Cotchery came to the Jets when the franchise was known for the class of its veteran players, not for the bombast of its head coach. He watched and learned from Martin and Pennington, never complaining or causing trouble.

He is the rare NFL receiver without an ego or a reality TV show. “He has a clean record,” cornerback Darrelle Revis said with a laugh, and while he wasn’t speaking directly about other receivers the Jets have signed recently, it was hard not to make the connection.

The three high-profile receivers the Jets have brought in over the past two years — Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and now Plaxico Burress — have all had run-ins with the law or the league. Holmes is one incident away from a year-long suspension, while Burress knows he’s on a short leash, too.

Cotchery never complained, but he acknowledged today that a change of scenery might be for the best, and that he has quietly expressed his frustrations to some of his coaches.

“I don’t want to get into specific details, but I have,” he said. “I have, to be honest. I don’t know how to say it.”

More coverage:

• Complete Jets coverage on NJ.com

• Jets videos

• Jets photos

That was as close as he would come to criticizing his former employer. Even on his last day with the franchise, Cotchery was working with the young players on the team as he knew the inevitable was coming.

Cotchery told the story today of the day the Jets released Pennington in August 2008. The team was getting ready to play Cleveland in the preseason, and in came Brett Favre to save the day. Or so the Jets hoped.

“To see him stand up in front of the offense in the meeting room and say what this game is all about — it was tough,” Cotchery said. “It was a tough deal for a lot of people because he was a great leader for this team.”

His now-former teammates were saying the same things about No. 89 today. Great leader. Tough deal.

Cold business.

Jets' receiving corps a new concern with Plaxico Burress injured and Jerricho Cotchery gone

Published: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 10:21 PM Updated: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 10:34 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

This afternoon was supposed to be a celebration of the Jets’ 2011 roster: their core players and free-agent signings finally allowed on the practice field together, for the team’s first padded practice of training camp.

Instead, it was a reminder of just how quickly things can turn in professional football: Plaxico Burress was on the sideline with a rolled left ankle; Jerricho Cotchery was notably absent, confirming his curious release; and the receiver position suddenly felt deficient.

Discussing Plaxico Burress' ankle injury, Jerricho Cotchery, and the rest of the receivers

New York Jets beat reporters Jenny Vrentas and Conor Orr talk about Plaxico Burress' injury to his ankle, Jerricho Cotchery's tenure with the Jets, and the rest of the receivers. (Video by Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger)

Watch video

Earlier in the day, Rex Ryan made the surprising announcement that Burress had “tweaked” his ankle Wednesday and would be held out of practice for a couple days. Eight hours later, the coach offered yet another twist: Cotchery, who has played his entire seven-year career with the Jets, asked to be traded or released.

“I probably saw it coming for a little while,” Ryan said of Cotchery’s release, “but I guess I never wanted to admit it.”

Without Cotchery, a reliable player and well-respected locker room presence, the receiving corps is composed of: No. 1 receiver Santonio Holmes, newly signed to a 5-year deal; Burress, who hasn’t played football in nearly three years after a 20-month prison sentence for illegal gun possession; and a handful of young players who have five NFL catches between them.

Burress said the ankle injury, which he said happened while he was running routes with Holmes, is not the “huge thing” people will make it out to be — and not the same ankle that hobbled him through the Giants’ Super Bowl XLII season.

As the Jets hope this is not a bad omen, they also have to answer the question mark now in Cotchery’s vacated spot. His replacement could be former Baltimore Ravens receiver Derrick Mason, who was scheduled to visit the team’s Florham Park facility today. But by day’s end, Ryan said he was “not sure” where things stood with the 37-year-old veteran.

When reports surfaced Wednesday night that Mason was headed to New Jersey, the implication was that Cotchery’s tenure with the Jets was over. Cotchery said this afternoon his impression was that if Mason passed his physical, Cotchery was gone. Several hours later, Ryan said Mason’s visit was not the reason for Cotchery’s release.

The complete picture of what happened between the Jets and Cotchery remained fuzzy last night, as each side was unwilling to reveal too many details. In interviews early this afternoon, Cotchery did not say that he asked his way off the roster — though he did tell The Star-Ledger that he had “no question” considered at times a change of scenery might be good.

Cotchery was due $1.8 million in base salary this year, with a higher cap hit, so it’s possible the team asked him to take a pay cut and he did not want to do so. But Cotchery also indicated his frustrations predated the past week or two.

Asked if his feelings related to the team bringing in other receivers to put ahead of him on the depth chart — like Braylon Edwards, Holmes and now Burress — Cotchery hesitated, reluctant to break the company line he has admirably abided by through his career.

“I don’t know how to look at it,” he said. “When I became a starter, I performed well as a starter. Last year, I just had a tough deal; a tough deal with a lot of things. I don’t want to get into specifics with a lot of things. Everybody knows I had the injury, but it’s more than just an injury.”

Cotchery was a starter from 2006 through 2009, and became the No. 3 receiver behind Holmes and Edwards last year. He was expected to be in that spot behind Holmes and Burress this season, after rehabbing his way back from offseason surgery on a herniated disk in his back that had caused far-reaching pain for two years.

Cotchery said he shared his feelings with some members of the coaching staff but, “a lot of people didn’t see it (the same) way.”

Ryan said he asked Cotchery to stay. So did quarterback Mark Sanchez, who said he is disappointed Cotchery is gone but accepts that he needed to do “what’s best for him.” Cotchery was the only receiver with whom Sanchez had played his entire pro career.

A trade was not an option, Cotchery said, because other teams could not be sure that he is healthy. He has been cleared by the doctor who performed his surgery but began camp on the physically unable to perform list.

More coverage:

• Complete Jets coverage on NJ.com

• Jets videos

• Jets photos

So the Jets will move on. Their biggest concern at the receiver position is getting Burress ready for the Sept. 11 season opener at Dallas, and ensuring his setback today does not portend things to come.

“I just can’t wait to see what everybody is going to say in a couple of days,” Burress said. “I think everyone will change their tune.”

If today was any indication, things can change in a hurry.

Why did he want to be released? I understand he didn't want to take a pay cut but now he's not making anything, right? If he goes to another team they will get him cheap, too. Just goes to show , it doesn't matter if you are loud or quiet, classy or not..

The New York Daily News confirms that the Jets have a contract offer on the table for free agent Derrick Mason.

However, beat writer Manish Mehta cautions that there is "no guarantee" Mason will accept. The 37-year-old is believed to have other offers available. The Jets can offer a shot at a Super Bowl, as well as a full-time role in the slot.

Everything I've read says:

1) The Jets released Cotchery at HIS request.

2) Sanchez said Cotchery told him he was going to ask for a release earlier this week (even before Mason came in).

3) The Jets have not yet signed Mason.

4) Rex said that the Jets would have kept Cotchery even if they'd sign Mason.

So WTF is going on with Cotchery and why is the FO getting so much grief when the player, himself, asked for the release?

Why would people bother to inform themselves about the situation when they could just get up in arms about Mike Tannenbaum's conspiracy to destroy the Jets from the inside out?

Archived