Jerricho to Mehta: If he (Derrick Mason) passes physical, he's here and I'm not

nj meadowlands

We brought back Holmes. We brought in a big RZ target who can jump out of the stadium. We brought in a wiley veteran to be in the slot. Forget about age, these are good, smart additions.

If Sanchez's play goes down this year, its because he sucks. Period. I guarantee Tom Moore is behind some of these decisions that are going on. And I trust his and Tannenbaum's judgment.

Think Cotchery can just easily recover from back surgery? Hell no. People with back problems have good days and bad. They rarely fully recover.

My complaint is not about just this move! I understand this move you going from a veteran to a veteran. My complaint is that were going into the season with essentially no number 2 wide receiver

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the guy is 37 why dont you get a damn clue/

The age disparity is without question. We get that. But by every metric, Mason had a better year last year than Cotchery.

I think this was Cotch's last year with the Jets regardless. So, with Cotchery's production dropping and him being hurt, the FO decided for the 1 yr upgrade in Mason. And, yes, Mason is a 1 yr upgrade over Cotch.

So, next year, the Jets would be looking for another WR even if Cotch stayed. In that event, might as well upgrade 2011. That's my thinking into Tanny's mindset.

Bingo. Does anyone think Cotchery was going to be here much longer anyways? Our future at WR will be addressed through the draft.

While I'm sure they will come up with something, there's nothing to suggest they will address WR in the draft, at least not from a starting standpoint. It's been 10 years since they've spent anything higher than a 4th rounder on the position and 7 years since they've drafted a WR who went on to start for the team. It's a position the team clearly prefers to address through trades and/or free agency.

As I've said, I don't think the individual players themselves are as much of an issue as the fact that, from a chemistry standpoint, the Jets are starting from scratch every year (if not mid-year), and are set to do that all over again next year. Yeah, yeah... I know, Sanchez needs to get better, you'll get no argument from me there. But isn't it the responsibility of the team to help make that happen?

We brought back Holmes. We brought in a big RZ target who can jump out of the stadium. We brought in a wiley veteran to be in the slot. Forget about age, these are good, smart additions.

If Sanchez's play goes down this year, its because he sucks. Period. I guarantee Tom Moore is behind some of these decisions that are going on. And I trust his and Tannenbaum's judgment.

Think Cotchery can just easily recover from back surgery? Hell no. People with back problems have good days and bad. They rarely fully recover.

At some point in his career, can Mark have the SAME receivers to work with for more than a freakin year?????????????

Plaxico Burress is our # 2 receiver.

And I hope you had a great season this year but that's a lot of faith in a 34 year old who has been in prison for 2 years who just sprained his ankle running routes by himself!

I would absolutely love the move if that were our number 3 guy.

At some point in his career, can Mark have the SAME receivers to work with for more than a freakin year?????????????

He has familiar faces in Holmes, Keller, and Tomlinson. Do you think it'll be real hard for Sanchez to make the adjustment from Braylon to Plax? All he needs to do is just throw it up for him and let him catch jump-balls.

If Sanchez can't improve without having the same receivers around, he sucks. Period. These are veteran receivers we brought in who know what they are doing and can make Sanchez a better player. Now its all up to Mark.

And I hope you had a great season this year but that's a lot of faith in a 34 year old who has been in prison for 2 years who just sprained his ankle running routes by himself!

I would absolutely love the move if that were our number 3 guy.

Just wait until you see him play.

Seriously! And then 4 games into the season if sanchez is looking lost out there a ton of people here are going to be calling for his head, which is complete bullsh*t! The front office did nothing to help sanchez this year, hopefully he helped himself by getting better in the offseason!

bullspitt!! you dont sign players to your roster because of the qb feels comfortable with them. i beleive the method most gm's use is talent vs price. santonio was re-signed,lt and keller are here.cotchery has had back surgery and edwards cant seem to stay away from trouble and wants too much money.would it had been smart to offer brad smith 4m per because sanchez "feels comfortable" with him?? i like cotchery,too.but the fact remains that the front office doesnt feel comfortable with him. there is more to the cotchery situation than tanny thinks mason is an upgrade.plain and simple

Just wait until you see him play.

I agree with you man, i think what I said might have come off wrong, Im actually a big supporter of Burress. I truly think he is actually going to have an amazing year with us and prove all the doubters wrong. Just wish we didnt have to rely on him SO much so fast.

With the problems we had scoring at times last year (losing games 9-0 and 10-9) I guess I would have just liked to see a little more of a focus on the offense but I can also see they most likely did the best they can with the money they had available. Just wanna see this team in action already.

I think you know what I mean PAC. I agree with you on Mason but the guy is 37 we just went from 29/27/27 to 37/34/27 and the 34 year old has been out of football for 2 years. This has to worry people who know this team is on the brink of a SB. Its a heck of a gamble to take IMO

T Rich was 39 and there was an uproar last year when he was released for 24 hours. Some guys age better than others. Mason is obviously one of those guys.

So our depth chart at receiver will look like THIS next year:

1. Holmes

2. ????

3. ????

4. Kerley???

W....T...F!

Oh that's assuming that Holmes' doesn't get into any trouble and gets suspended for a year.

Doom and gloom!!! Plax is out for 2 damn friggin days. Keep your emotions in check, please.

T Rich was 39 and there was an uproar last year when he was released for 24 hours. Some guys age better than others. Mason is obviously one of those guys.

Your going to compare a FB whos in on maybe 30 % of the snaps to a WR ? The physical demands of the 2 positions are completely Different.

Please PAC.

If you guys are happy with 2/3rd's of your WR group being 34 and 37 more power to ya man.

I could understand the Plax signing if we had Both Edwards and Holmes but were asking these guys to be full time WR's and I gotta tell ya its laughable.

Mark Sanchez is in his third year at quarterback and it might be his most pivotal. That being said, it's a short turnaround with no OTAs for the season. He could use some consistency and familiarity with his targets. He has that with Holmes and Keller and LT out of the backfield. The rest? Looks like a crapshoot. I'm all for bringing in upgrades but neither receiver we brought in is an upgrade. They are either lateral moves or steps backward and what's worse is they have to come in and learn a new system with a young QB who needs that rapport and trust in his receivers.

I don't like this move one bit.

If Sanchez can't improve without having the same receivers around, he sucks. Period. These are veteran receivers we brought in who know what they are doing and can make Sanchez a better player. Now its all up to Mark.

I know I'm repeating myself now, so I'll make this my last point on the matter, but some of these responses to hoping for some chemistry amongst the WR corps I think is taking too much out of what the point is. It's not that Sanchez isn't going to improve at all, because he will, or at least he sure as hell better. Anyone who thinks the WR corps changing is an excuse for Sanchez to not improve is out of their freakin' minds, and I don't think most here think that. The point is, it's a matter of making that task easier, and making those improvements greater. It'd be nice if Sanchez could spend even just one full season spending more time focusing on his own play and less getting comfortable with new receivers every half season or so. It's not that he won't improve, but it's entirely feasible that the degree of improvement will be affected by that. Just look at the drastic changes in his play in both seasons after his starting WRs changed... it was ugly.

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

In case u were wondering, Jerricho Cotchery tells me taking a paycut isn't going to happen: "I've made sacrifices (for team in past)." #nyj

There is your "Why?" He won't take a pay cut and he's not worth the money.

Mason is no upgrade. Id rather T.O or Moss or Patrick Turner. This is Rex still having manlove for Baltimore cast-offs :angry:

Of course you would sweetheart.

While I'm sure they will come up with something, there's nothing to suggest they will address WR in the draft, at least not from a starting standpoint. It's been 10 years since they've spent anything higher than a 4th rounder on the position and 7 years since they've drafted a WR who went on to start for the team. It's a position the team clearly prefers to address through trades and/or free agency.

As I've said, I don't think the individual players themselves are as much of an issue as the fact that, from a chemistry standpoint, the Jets are starting from scratch every year (if not mid-year), and are set to do that all over again next year. Yeah, yeah... I know, Sanchez needs to get better, you'll get no argument from me there. But isn't it the responsibility of the team to help make that happen?

They didn't spend anything? They invested in Holmes. They invested in Edwards. They drafted Keller who is much more WR than TE. They have not ignored the position. They invested in the lines. What have they invested in running back? Does that mean they are ignoring the running game or hanging Sanchez out to dry because they can't run?

From a chemistry standpoint, Holmes is back. He'll have camp to develop with the others, and has already spent plenty of time throwing to most of them this offseason. If he doesn't suck he'll be able to throw to them.

To whoever is complaining about size "if Burress gets hurt", Burress, Turner, Courtney Smith, Logan Payne and Mike Campbell are all over 6'2". Quit your bitchin'.

They didn't spend anything? They invested in Holmes. They invested in Edwards. They drafted Keller who is much more WR than TE. They have not ignored the position. They invested in the lines. What have they invested in running back? Does that mean they are ignoring the running game or hanging Sanchez out to dry because they can't run?

From a chemistry standpoint, Holmes is back. He'll have camp to develop with the others, and has already spent plenty of time throwing to most of them this offseason. If he doesn't suck he'll be able to throw to them.

To whoever is complaining about size "if Burress gets hurt", Burress, Turner, Courtney Smith, Logan Payne and Mike Campbell are all over 6'2". Quit your bitchin'.

When did I say they didn't spend anything? I specifically stated they're likely not going to address the position through the draft, and history tells us exactly that. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just an observation based on the facts. I also said that the team has clearly shown a preference to address the position via FA and trade, which you only helped prove in pointing to Holmes and Edwards, who were both acquired via trade.

While I wasn't the one who made the WR size argument, and it's not something I'm going to particularly worry about it at this point, you do realize that outside of Burress every other player you mentioned is unlikely to even make the team, and mostly just camp fodder, right?

Disappointing he's been one of my favorite Jets but he's 29 and already been breaking down physically. I wish him all the best and hope he can earn one more legit contract elsewhere.

This is still one of the most bad a$$ plays I have ever seen.

too bad. cotch was a good player, but lets be realistic, last year, playing as the #3 wr against nickels, we were all saying he was going to have a monster year.

he didn't.

this is why they say NFL stands for Not For Long.

lets just hope they got mason's signature on a deal before cutting cotch ! lol

Archived