Jets Sign Aaron Maybin: MERGED

F.Chowds

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex on LB Maybin: We’ll See What He Can Do

Posted by Randy Lange on August 17, 2011 – 1:20 pm

It’s less and less maybe with Maybin.

Published sources said this morning that the Jets have reached an agreement in principle with free agent LB Aaron Maybin, the 11th overall pick of the Bills in 2009, and Rex Ryan confirmed at his noon news conference today that Maybin “wants to be a Jet, and pending a physical” that will happen.

“He’s here in the building,” the head coach said at the media room podium in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “I believe several teams were after him. We will give him that opportunity to come here and see what he can do.

“I’m excited about him. … I think he’s got some talent, some pass-rush ability. If he sticks on our team, he’s going to be a pass rusher for us. We don’t need him to be a starter. We’ve got two excellent outside linebackers already.”

Skeptics will point out that the Jets let go of one first-round draftee without a career sack in Vernon Gholston and now are bringing in another. But there are some differences. In preseason games, Maybin has more sacks in two seasons (5) than Gholston had in three with the Jets (2). Also, Team Ryan didn’t draft Gholston but may be intrigued enough by the 6’4″, 250-pound Maybin to bring him for that look-see.

That’s not a lot of evidence, but Ryan said he’s always spoken highly of Maybin when his name came up the past two years.

“I had a chance to talk to the young man yesterday,” Rex said. “He loves the style of defense we play. He looks at himself as he can come in here and have a great experience.”

Injury Watch

Ryan confirmed that OL Rob Turner broke his right leg at Houston and will undergo surgery later this week, but won’t put a rehab prognosis on him until after the procedure. … WR Plaxico Burress will participate in team drills today. Andrew LeRay will have a story on the wideouts after today’s closed training camp practice.

G Brandon Moore (hip) will do individual work today but not team drills. Rex said B-Moore is “doubtful” for Sunday’s game vs. Cincinnati. … RB Joe McKnight suffered a concussion vs. the Texans and will sit out today’s practice while the Jets’ trainers and doctors continue their evaluation. … G Chris Stewart (shoulder) is on a “we’ll-see” basis for practice.

Ryan said of QB Mark Brunell’s dislocated finger, “I think we’re going to be careful with that one.” … LB Bart Scott seems to be OK from his leg injury early Monday night. Rex: “We’re lucky that Bart never got hurt. We’ll be smart with it.”

I'll be interested to seee what happens with his weight. Isn't Dierking a Penn State guy? Does he know anything? When he came out one of the question marks was = can he keep up his weight? It was even listed in the draft snapshot that Dark Lady posted. Lately I've read that he claimed pnuemonia and that he's "up to 242", but the Bills GM said he was down to 228 in the fall and that would mean during the season and I didn't hear any mention of pneumonia then. I like to pick up, but then again I like UDFAs.

SO hard...

When you blow him yes. But on one hand he only started one game in his 2 years and they complain about his lack of production and sacks. Gholston had many oppotunities to prove he could play and didnt produce. No one can produce without a fair opportunity. I seriously think the bills lack of judgement bit them in the arse yet again.

When you blow him yes. But on one hand he only started one game in his 2 years and they complain about his lack of production and sacks. Gholston had many oppotunities to prove he could play and didnt produce. No one can produce without a fair opportunity. I seriously think the bills lack of judgement bit them in the arse yet again.

It certainly did, but was it during the draft or when they cut him?

The main difference between Gholston and Maybin is that Rex didn't like Gholston coming out of college but tried to make the best of a bad situation. With Maybin he is bringing him thinking that he can use his skill set and work with it in his scheme.

Why wouldn't you hope for this kid to be a good pass rusher for us? I'm not saying he'll be great but maybe he could fit in our scheme.

Of course I'm rooting for him. I think at the start of this thread (Maybin being offered for trade) I suggested we sign him when he's cut-same as Taylor Mays. I actually picked him in the JN mock draft, but it was in the 2nd round for the Panthers. Worth a shot. I hope he plays hard on specials.

Very nice of you guys to give Maybin a paycheque. He will be cut in a couple of weeks.

This is America! He'll get a check and like it! His sweatpants will be gray in color.

Archived