"Vick's passion reason players flocking to Eagles"

Jetsfan80

Vick's passion reason players flocking to Eagles

By Clark Judge

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Michael Vick is more than the Philadelphia Eagles' most dangerous weapon. He's their biggest draw, and I'm not talking about putting people in the seats. I'm talking about adding names to the roster.

That's because Michael Vick is more than a quarterback. He's a phenomenon.

Players across the league don't want to be like Mike as much as they want to be with Mike, joining the Eagles to team up with one of the game's most dynamic and charismatic individuals.

Vick is everything they respect and admire in an athlete. He's extraordinarily talented. He's passionate about his profession. He's uber-competitive. He can create. He can orchestrate. He can scintillate.

Most important, he can win.

"I think he's perceived -- and this perception is reality -- as a great player," said coach Andy Reid. "But he gives you an opportunity to win football games, too. I've always said this: No matter how much you pay guys, they always want to win games. When it's all said and done they want to put themselves in a position where they can go and get a ring ... and that means something.

"So much in this day and age you hear about how a guy just wants to make money. Well, that's not the case. They'd like to find a situation where they can get both accomplished. They want to win, and they feel like Michael can help them do that."

So they watch Vick demolish Washington in a Monday-night laugher where he becomes the first player in NFL history to throw for 300 yards, run for 50, throw four touchdowns and run for another two ... all in one game ... and they want to be part of that.

They see him lead Philadelphia on an astonishing 21-point comeback with eight minutes left to beat the Giants, and they want to be part of that, too. They know he produced 30 touchdowns, achieved a career-best passer rating (100.2) and won eight of 11 starts to lead the Eagles to another division title, and they want to be part of all that.

To paraphrase rock musician Walter Egan, Vick is the magnet, and others are steel. People are drawn to him, whether it's fans calling out to him after practice or wearing No. 7 jerseys or opposing players expressing interest in teaming up with him. He is, as Reid acknowledged, "a rock star," but a rock star who "hit bottom and who had certain things he wanted to do -- namely, better his game and better himself as a person."

Well, he succeeded, and now he … and the Eagles … reap the rewards as they reel in high-profile free agents, many of whom mention Vick as an element in their decisions.

"He's a big part of why anyone would want to come to a team," said cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who left Oakland for the Eagles. "Vick is a guy you want to play with, not someone you want to play against."

I'm not sure he -- or anyone, for that matter -- makes that statement a year ago because a year ago Vick was the Eagles' backup to Kevin Kolb, with no one sure what either would offer for the coming season. Then Vick stepped in after Kolb was hurt, played the best football of his career and proved so indispensable that the Eagles protected him with their franchise tag and traded away Kolb.

Philadelphia kept Michael Vick because it believes in him. But so do others, some of whom are not in Eagles' uniforms. Not yet, at least.

"I found this out early when I was at Green Bay with Reggie White and Brett Favre," said Reid. "The first thing that Reggie White said is, 'I'm coming to the Packers,' when people didn't think he would because it was a small media market at that time, and we hadn't really started winning. But we had this quarterback he respected and thought the world of. So he came in and said, 'I want to be a part of that.' "

Sound familiar?

"This guy is special." Reid said of Vick. "I saw it with Donovan [McNabb] here, and now I'm seeing it with Michael. [Free agents] had to make decisions quickly [this summer], and when the lockout ended guys had to find a home. Michael Vick knows a lot of people and is very, very popular and is a good guy. So you have a great player, a good guy and someone who represents this organization very well. I have no doubt that that's why players seek out the Philadelphia Eagles. I have no doubt about that at all."

There are, of course, other reasons. Free-agent addition Vince Young mentioned Reid and his history of success, as well as his admiration for him as a teacher and someone who treats players fairly. Vick mentioned Reid, too, saying players across the league understand what he's done for him and what he's done for others -- a group that should include Terrell Owens, who had one of the best and most successful seasons of his career when he played for Philadelphia in 2004.

In the end, though, there has to be more than a successful coach -- and there is, just as in New England it's not just Bill Belichick who beckons players; it's quarterback Tom Brady.

In Philadelphia it's Reid and Michael Vick.

"I understand [players' reactions]," Vick said, "and I think it's important to take full advantage of it. Players have an opportunity to come play, not just with me but for an organization that cares about its players and makes you better. It's important that players have that opportunity. I just think God creates situations for certain reasons, and this is one of them."

"But what is it about you," I asked, "that resonates with other players?"

"I think they see I put 110 percent passion into the game," he said. "I take pride in what I do. Each and every snap I play like it's my last. Even when I'm not supposed to take a hit I take one -- even though that's going to change this year.

"It's just the effort and desire I put into my work and my craft; the desire to be great, wanting to be great. I want to end up in Canton one day, and it takes hard work and preparation to get there."

It takes success, too, and Vick found it in Philadelphia as he did years ago in Atlanta -- maybe not as easily, but he found it nevertheless. Where the Eagles last season were a popular preseason pick to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack, they surprised by winning 10 of their first 14 starts -- with Vick the catalyst.

Yeah, I know, they were beaten by Green Bay in the first round of the playoffs, but they came this close -- falling short when a last-minute Vick pass to the end zone was intercepted. So he fizzled. Big deal. All season Vick lifted the club and carried it on his back, and one play would not cause people to forget.

"I just think people respect where I've been and how I've been able to bounce back -- not the negative aspect of it but the positive," Vick said. "[it's about] keeping your spirits high, standing tall, working hard and grinding and being blessed with a gift from God.

"I've been able to play the quarterback position at a high level. I've just got to thank God because I was blessed with unbelievable talent and ability to do things that some people can't. Now, I'm just trying to take full advantage of it."

The results are everywhere, and not just on the field.

Assoumgha got an extra half million annually in currency form the Eagles above and beyond the Jets' offer. And I don't fault him or anyone from chasing a buck. He signed with the Eagles because of money. The rest is window dressing.

Vick has gotten so overrated this off season

He had a good year, but he hasn't proven anything yet.

Can't lie, I hope he falls on his face.

while I certainly do NOT hope he falls on his face (bad karma to wish that sh*t) I will certainly agree Vick is getting extremely over rated and he missed quite a few games last year. then look at how he played the last few weeks...not very well.

it'll be interesting to see Philly this next year though

He paid his debt to society... Give that dog killing stuff a rest. He played the best QB of his career last year and is still a dynamic athlete. If folks want to play with him, why should that surprise anyone. But moreover, who cares. At the end of the day I like watching him play the game, but I can not wait for the Jets to play them this year and for the Jets to come away with the victory.

And why put an article like this about a non-Jets player on the Jets Message Board. Isn't there a gneric football forum for this stuff?

The Eagles will not make the playoffs.

If the NFC weren't so sh*tty I'd agree. However, I think the Eagles will get in as a Wild Card. Even an injury to Vick won't sink them; Vince Young is capable of keeping them afloat, at least for a little while.

If the NFC weren't so sh*tty I'd agree. However, I think the Eagles will get in as a Wild Card. Even an injury to Vick won't sink them; Vince Young is capable of keeping them afloat, at least for a little while.

Disagree. The WC will come from the South and the North, just like last season. The NFC East is going to beat each other up this season and the play the AFCE.

I predict Vick getting injured for a long period because their Oline is poop. He and they, were exposed during the playoffs. The Eagles problem has never been defense in the postseason, its been scoring points. 16 pts vs. the Packers, isnt enough, but holding them to 21 pts, should have been at home. Remember, it took a miracle PR for the Eagles to even get in on tie breakers vs. the Giants.

And what did they do this offseason? Improve their defenes, not their offense.

Man i can't wait until we heel stomp that effer in their own house this season. Let Revis and Cro put jackson and maclin on an island and send the rest of the team at Vick and just crush him.

fun fact the Jets have never won in Philadelphia. The win in Pittsburgh last year was the first time they ever won in the state of PA.

as for Vick, I will come at this from a draft perspective, to find a guy with that release, that arm, and that athleticism, is truly once in a generation type of skills. There's a thousand running quarterbacks in the nation, none of them are like Vick.

Unless Vick has worked to improve his ability to throw while moving to his right, he's not going to have a whole lot of success. Once teams picked up on that last year he was rather pedestrian. The NFC East is not what it was IMO. DAL did little to improve their horrid OL, WAS sucks, and the Giants took a pretty big step backwards this offseason, especially if they don't resolve the Osi situation. I think the Eagles take the division fairly easily if Vick stays healthy. Then they'll get squashed in the playoffs.

Disagree. The WC will come from the South and the North, just like last season. The NFC East is going to beat each other up this season and the play the AFCE.

I predict Vick getting injured for a long period because their Oline is poop. He and they, were exposed during the playoffs. The Eagles problem has never been defense in the postseason, its been scoring points. 16 pts vs. the Packers, isnt enough, but holding them to 21 pts, should have been at home. Remember, it took a miracle PR for the Eagles to even get in on tie breakers vs. the Giants.

And what did they do this offseason? Improve their defenes, not their offense.

Vick was terrible in the NFC Championship Game.

Vick and the Eagles have a much better chance of winning the SB right now than Sanchez and the Jets do.

And this is coming from someone that is a huge Sanchez fanboy and posting on a Jets mb, where I've spent a considerable amount of time these past few NFL seasons.

There is no such thing as a guarantee for sports, but there are odds, the Eagles are in a very strong position.

Vick and the Eagles have a much better chance of winning the SB right now than Sanchez and the Jets do.

And this is coming from someone that is a huge Sanchez fanboy and posting on a Jets mb, where I've spent a considerable amount of time these past few NFL seasons.

There is no such thing as a guarantee for sports, but there are odds, the Eagles are in a very strong position.

+1,000

The hate on Mike Vick needs to stop because if he was a Jet everyone here would be claiming we are the favorites to win the SB.

Regardless of the Jets situation, I don't agree at all about the Eagles. The Eagles offense still doesn't run the ball consistently and so relies more heavily on the QB than all but one or two other teams in the league. Even at his best, the same problem has plagued Vick for his entire career, a talented enough defense who has the patience and commitment to play the right way against him will always be his undoing, and sooner or later he's going to hit that every year in the playoffs. That is of course, if he even stays healthy long enough for that to happen.

They may well go 14-2 in the regular season, but they'll still lose in the playoffs. Any defense that comes to play, like the Packers, will upend them. If they played in the AFC, Vick would be getting schooled by teams like the Steelers, Ravens and Jets on a regular basis.

Vick was terrible in the NFC Championship Game.

Back when he was the Falcons and the Eagles destoryed them? They lost in the WC game last year and Vick was awful just like he's always been in the playoffs.

Why? Sanchez has found a way to up his game during the playoffs, where Vick consistently lowers his play every time he's made the playoffs. He was awful last year vs. the Packers...just plain awful

I'm still predicting no playoffs for the Eagles, but if they do, they'll be bounced first round. Book it.

Its real simple guys Micheal Vick will be his typical regular season wonder then fall flat on his face when it really counts....In the Playoffs.

I think the Eagles will win A lot of games this year because they have a damn good head coach and they added some real talent. The rest of their division is a mess and the only teams in Their conference that are any threat at all are Green Bay and Atlanta.

Back when he was the Falcons and the Eagles destoryed them? They lost in the WC game last year and Vick was awful just like he's always been in the playoffs.

Why? Sanchez has found a way to up his game during the playoffs, where Vick consistently lowers his play every time he's made the playoffs. He was awful last year vs. the Packers...just plain awful

I'm still predicting no playoffs for the Eagles, but if they do, they'll be bounced first round. Book it.

This

Its real simple guys Micheal Vick will be his typical regular season wonder then fall flat on his face when it really counts....In the Playoffs.

I think the Eagles will win A lot of games this year because they have a damn good head coach and they added some real talent. The rest of their division is a mess and the only teams in Their conference that are any threat at all are Green Bay and Atlanta.

The only other good teams in the NFC are Green Bay and Atlanta?

The Giants are pretty good, as are the Cowboys (Rob Ryan can turn that D into a holy terror with the talent they have) and let's not forget the Saints, you know, the team that won the SB the year before last.

Last time I checked, the NFC has three of the last four SB Champs.

The Giants are pretty good, as are the Cowboys (Rob Ryan can turn that D into a holy terror with the talent they have) and let's not forget the Saints, you know, the team that won the SB the year before last.

Bears should be good too.

And dont forget that team with young MVP candidate at QB down in Tampa.

yeah I forgot New Orleans and the possibility of the Cowboys turning it around. The Giants and the Skins suck.

Their first 6 games look like 5-1 maybe 12-4 over all their schedule is not that bad. Outside of their Division they play all the doormats in the NFC except Atlanta week 2. Too bad we cant play the NFC south lol

1 Sun, Sep 11 @St. Louis 1:00 PM Tickets W

2 Sun, Sep 18 @Atlanta 8:20 PM Tickets L

3 Sun, Sep 25 vsNew York 1:00 PM Tickets W

4 Sun, Oct 2 vsSan Francisco 1:00 PM Tickets W

5 Sun, Oct 9 @Buffalo 1:00 PM Tickets W

6 Sun, Oct 16 @Washington 1:00 PM Tickets W

7 BYE WEEK

8 Sun, Oct 30 vsDallas 8:20 PM Tickets W

9 Mon, Nov 7 vsChicago 8:30 PM Tickets W

10 Sun, Nov 13 vsArizona 1:00 PM Tickets W

11 Sun, Nov 20 @New York 8:20 PM Tickets L

12 Sun, Nov 27 vsNew England 4:15 PM Tickets L