Jets have tried to trade Wayne Hunter

F.Chowds

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2012, 8:44 AM EST

108080179_display_image.jpg?w=166

Getty Images

For the Jets, the kiss of death apparently comes in the form of a public statement of support.

That’s not an uncommon phenomenon in sports, but it’s becoming increasingly common in New York.

The latest example? Right tackle Wayne Hunter. Last week, G.M. Mike Tannenbaum said he “expects” Hunter to return to the team as the starter in 2012. Now, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets have tried to trade Hunter.

Mehta says the Jets have talked to an unnamed NFC team about making a deal, but the discussions stalled. (Although trades can’t happen until March 13, teams can talk about possible transactions before the official opening of the new league year.)

Hunter may still be safe. As Mehta points out, the team doesn’t have much depth along the line. Also, there’s a chance Hunter’s play improves under new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano.

Even if Hunter stays, it’s further proof that the things said by NFL teams never can be taken at face value. Indeed, the Jets wouldn’t be sniffing around Peyton Manning if coach Rex Ryan was telling the truth when he said Mark Sanchezwill be the starting quarterback for as long as Ryan is the head coach.

If Tannenbaum can get something for Wayne Hunter I will be impressed.

Truth is he could have value as insurance to teams with a ton of cap room and maybe a starter coming back from injury or other health questions. He's relatively cheap, doesn't have any huge bonuses due on his deal, and has starting experience (such as it is). I'd be comfortable with a Ducasse-Turner-rookie battle as a worst-case scenario, also keeping in mind there are presently not-super-expensive FA options out there and more might become available to so-so players who won't take a pay cut from their far-better-than-so-so contracts.

NY Jets seek to trade offensive lineman Wayne Hunter in attempt to add protection for Mark Sanchez

Gang Green wants better protection for Sanchez

BY MANISH MEHTA / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, March 8, 2012, 10:27 PM

image.jpg

LEE S. WEISSMAN/LEE S. WEISSMAN

Wayne Hunter might think things are looking in land of Gang Green but for him, rumor mill says different.

inform.jpg

The Jets' uncharacteristically inconsistent offensive line play last season has prompted them to look for an upgrade.

The Daily News has learned that Gang Green has explored trading right tackle Wayne Hunter this offseason. The Jets were engaged in trade discussions involving Hunter with at least one NFC team, but a deal couldn’t be struck, according to sources.

Although the Jets still appear amenable to trading Hunter, the lack of depth along the offensive line may ultimately prevent them from dealing him. There is also a belief in the organization that Hunter, who will be entering his ninth season, could improve under offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s new blocking schemes.

“We expect Wayne back,” general manager Mike Tannenbaum told WFAN radio last week. “We expect him to be our starter.”

Hunter, a career backup, struggled in his first season as a full-time starter after taking over for the retired Damien Woody. According to Pro Football Focus, Hunter allowed the third-most sacks (11) and committed the fourth-most penalties (11) by a tackle last season. He also allowed the most quarterback hits (11) among tackles.

However, Hunter wasn’t the lone culprit in pass protection. The offensive line wasn’t nearly as stout as it had been the previous two seasons when it established itself as one of the best units in the league. Mark Sanchez was the fifth-most sacked quarterback in the league last season (39).

“We need more consistent line play,” Tannenbaum said. “There’s no question about that. All of our players need to play more consistently up front. We expect (Hunter) to play better this year.”

Hunter, 30, signed a four-year, $12.9 million contract last offseason. His $2.45 million base salary for 2012 became guaranteed last month.

agreed penis, if the tannenbaum gets a 50% off coupon for hunter it will be a huge win and maybe his biggest coup to date. We could spend 2.5M on one of the FA out there. I would take McKenzie over this jagoff hunter. Our tackle doesnt need to be all pro, he just cant be a big gaping hole the size of madonas vajajay...

Wayne Hunter, Bilal Powell, or McNight and our 5th round pick for Felix Jones. Callahan is the Cowboys O-Coordinator/O-line coach, this trade is probably fantasy, but I could see Hunter to the Cowboys for a similar paid player on the Cowboys, or a late round pick maybe a 5th. Or maybe Schotty wants him in St. Louis, I doubt it thou.

Wayne Hunter, Bilal Powell, or McNight and our 5th round pick for Felix Jones. Callahan is the Cowboys O-Coordinator/O-line coach, this trade is probably fantasy, but I could see Hunter to the Cowboys for a similar paid player on the Cowboys, or a late round pick maybe a 5th. Or maybe Schotty wants him in St. Louis, I doubt it thou.

So McNight and a 5th for Jones? The other two should probably not even be on an NFL roster.

agreed penis, if the tannenbaum gets a 50% off coupon for hunter it will be a huge win and maybe his biggest coup to date. We could spend 2.5M on one of the FA out there. I would take McKenzie over this jagoff hunter. Our tackle doesnt need to be all pro, he just cant be a big gaping hole the size of madonas vajajay...

This is one of the funniest things anyone has ever posted here.

Trade Hunter (saves 2.5 million) release Moore (saves 3 million) sign Nicks from NO, and have a RT competition with Turner, Ducasse, and rookie like someone else posted. Mangold, DBrick, Nicks, a healthy Slauson (who moves to RG, which makes us better with Nicks being the better pulling guard) would be a great foursome on the line, that's where we should spend our FA money if we plan on being G&P offense.

So McNight and a 5th for Jones? The other two should probably not even be on an NFL roster.

Yea I said this is probably fantasy thinking, but you never know one teams garbage could be thought of as another teams gold, it all depends on what Callahan thinks of Hunter.

Release Moore? Really?

Sign Carey, OL is good to go

Would you trade Moore, and Hunter for Nicks? If so this is a no brainer, only reason for releasing Moore is to create the cap space for Nicks, it would probably gave to go down that way. Trust me if we can afford Nicks without releasing Moore I'm all for it. Slauson, Turner, Ducasse, and a rookie as depth with one starting at RT would be awesome.

Release Moore? Really?

Sign Carey, OL is good to go

Carey is a tackle turned guard, he stunk at tackle showed improvement at guard, so he would be best at G, but IMO wouldn't be an upgrade to what we have like Nicks, he is also coming off a season ending injury.

So were gonna have Chad Henne under center, handing off to Ronnie Brown, with Carey blocking, and Sparano calling the plays, I think I've seen this movie before it ends with 5 wins. If all these rumors, and what some people actually want come to fruition how is turning into the Miami Dolphins on offense gonna win us a SB, when they haven't won more then 6 games in the last 3 years?

Carey is a tackle turned guard, he stunk at tackle showed improvement at guard, so he would be best at G, but IMO wouldn't be an upgrade to what we have like Nicks, he is also coming off a season ending injury.

So were gonna have Chad Henne under center, handing off to Ronnie Brown, with Carey blocking, and Sparano calling the plays, I think I've seen this movie before it ends with 5 wins. If all these rumors, and what some people actually want come to fruition how is turning into the Miami Dolphins on offense gonna win us a SB, when they haven't won more then 6 games in the last 3 years?

Carey started 87 straight games for the Fish at RT, RG, and a full season at LT. The year he played LT he only gave up 6 sacks. He was given a big contract, but had the misfortune of being the LT when Jake Long was on the board.

Was moved to RT, and played very well. Blew his knee up late in the season in 2010. His health was uncertain, so the Fish brought in a RT who sucked.

He was moved to RG, sprained his ankle in the Dallas game late in the season, but still was an alternate to the Pro Bowl. I believe he is only 30.

Looks a hell of a lot like Woody at this point of his career. Will probably be relatively cheap.

Moore played really well last year. Believe he gave up 0 sacks. It would be foolish to release him

Getty Images

For the Jets, the kiss of death apparently comes in the form of a public statement of support.

That’s not an uncommon phenomenon in sports, but it’s becoming increasingly common in New York.

The latest example? Right tackle Wayne Hunter. Last week, G.M. Mike Tannenbaum said he “expects” Hunter to return to the team as the starter in 2012. Now, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets have tried to trade Hunter.

Mehta says the Jets have talked to an unnamed NFC team about making a deal, but the discussions stalled. (Although trades can’t happen until March 13, teams can talk about possible transactions before the official opening of the new league year.)

Hunter may still be safe. As Mehta points out, the team doesn’t have much depth along the line. Also, there’s a chance Hunter’s play improves under new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano.

Even if Hunter stays, it’s further proof that the things said by NFL teams never can be taken at face value. Indeed, the Jets wouldn’t be sniffing around Peyton Manning if coach Rex Ryan was telling the truth when he said Mark Sanchezwill be the starting quarterback for as long as Ryan is the head coach.

Yeah I heard the offer was a head of cabbage and a 6 pack of Schiltz.....

NY Jets seek to trade offensive lineman Wayne Hunter in attempt to add protection for Mark Sanchez

Gang Green wants better protection for Sanchez

BY MANISH MEHTA / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, March 8, 2012, 10:27 PM

image.jpg

LEE S. WEISSMAN/LEE S. WEISSMAN

Wayne Hunter might think things are looking in land of Gang Green but for him, rumor mill says different.

inform.jpg

The Jets' uncharacteristically inconsistent offensive line play last season has prompted them to look for an upgrade.

The Daily News has learned that Gang Green has explored trading right tackle Wayne Hunter this offseason. The Jets were engaged in trade discussions involving Hunter with at least one NFC team, but a deal couldn’t be struck, according to sources.

Although the Jets still appear amenable to trading Hunter, the lack of depth along the offensive line may ultimately prevent them from dealing him. There is also a belief in the organization that Hunter, who will be entering his ninth season, could improve under offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s new blocking schemes.

“We expect Wayne back,” general manager Mike Tannenbaum told WFAN radio last week. “We expect him to be our starter.”

Hunter, a career backup, struggled in his first season as a full-time starter after taking over for the retired Damien Woody. According to Pro Football Focus, Hunter allowed the third-most sacks (11) and committed the fourth-most penalties (11) by a tackle last season. He also allowed the most quarterback hits (11) among tackles.

However, Hunter wasn’t the lone culprit in pass protection. The offensive line wasn’t nearly as stout as it had been the previous two seasons when it established itself as one of the best units in the league. Mark Sanchez was the fifth-most sacked quarterback in the league last season (39).

“We need more consistent line play,” Tannenbaum said. “There’s no question about that. All of our players need to play more consistently up front. We expect (Hunter) to play better this year.”

Hunter, 30, signed a four-year, $12.9 million contract last offseason. His $2.45 million base salary for 2012 became guaranteed last month.

Man the Tat just makes it....****en typical!

Getty Images

Stalled? What are we asking for? If it's anything more then a conditional draft pick that baring him going to a pro bowl or turning water into wine becomes a 7th rounder we need to lower our asking price

Post image for Rumor: Jets Trying To Trade Wayne Hunter

In January we outlined why Wayne Hunter should have been cut before his base salary for the upcoming season became guaranteed.  The Jets took a different approach and GM Mike Tannenbaum has stated that he expects Wayne Hunter to be the starter at Right Tackle next season.  With a complete overhaul on offense, the story was certainly believable.  Offensive line coach Bill Callahan and coordinator Brian Schottenheimer are both gone, Tony Sparano is now running the offense.  Simplified blocking schemes and a commitment to running the football seemed to support Mike Tannenbaum’s public show of support for Wayne Hunter.

The Daily News is reporting that the Jets are trying to trade Wayne Hunter.  Trades can not take place until March 13th, but teams are allowed to discuss the parameters right now.

The Jets’ uncharacteristically inconsistent offensive line play last season has prompted them to look for an upgrade.

The Daily News has learned that Gang Green has explored trading right
tackle Wayne Hunter
this offseason. The Jets were engaged in trade discussions involving Hunter with at least one NFC team, but a deal couldn’t be struck, according to sources.

Some additional information on Wayne Hunter and the trade rumors can be found on our

di
di

9K8xGC8FJBU

View the full article

Quick question, if we TRADE Hunter, does that mean the team we trade him to gets to pick up his 2.5 million?

If that's the case, I would bring in a vet for the RT spot and draft one maybe in the 2nd or 3rd round to grow for a couple of years.

Quick question, if we TRADE Hunter, does that mean the team we trade him to gets to pick up his 2.5 million?

If that's the case, I would bring in a vet for the RT spot and draft one maybe in the 2nd or 3rd round to grow for a couple of years.

If the trading team is willing to pick up the whole salary but I could see the Jets having to pick up like $1 million and the other team pays the rest. Still a $1.5 million savings but if Guy Whimper gets a 2 year $5 million contract then another team should pick up Hunter's full price.

I stated that Slauson and Hunter are NOT starting-calibur O-linemen, but are good to hold the fort when someone goes down with injury.Mangold and Brick are still great, the jury's still out (in my opnion) on Vlad.

Could they not find their way back into courtroom due to blindness? because if not I think they should have rendered a verdict already. This guy is 330 pounds of dogsh*t

Could they not find there way back into courtroom due to blindness? because if not I think they should have rendered a verdict already. This guy is 330 pounds of dogsh*t

Oh man...brutal dude....Vlad is crying.

Whenever discussions stall in a trade its usually the team wanting the player or the agent that is prone to leaking the info to force the hand of the team trading the player.

That means they want Wayne Hunter desperately or the agent/player wants to get out of the town quickly.

This is a great situation for Tanny.

Whenever discussions stall in a trade its usually the team wanting the player or the agent that is prone to leaking the info to force the hand of the team trading the player.

That means they want Wayne Hunter desperately or the agent/player wants to get out of the town quickly.

This is a great situation for Tanny.

hmmm. He can't be traded until Tuesday anyway, right?

hmmm. He can't be traded until Tuesday anyway, right?

He's not getting traded. Who the hell would want him? Tannenbaum is losing his freaking mind. And I've been a pretty big supporter in the past but after last offseason and what's been going on so far this offseason he's starting to lose me a bit.

He's not getting traded. Who the hell would want him? Tannenbaum is losing his freaking mind. And I've been a pretty big supporter in the past but after last offseason and what's been going on so far this offseason he's starting to lose me a bit.

The more I think about it, if what was said above is true, then that means he's not only getting traded, but that another team initiated the inquiry. That doesn't make sense to me given the number of quality OTs coming out this year, and the fact that every one of the OTs in FA (EVERY one of them) is better than Wayne Hunter. Unless someone has a hard on for Tongans, or has familiarity with Hunter (read: Shotty, Callahan) then he isn't going anywhere.

Archived