Tackling The Right Tackle Dilemma

JetNation

the biggest help for Hunter and Sanchez will be staying out of 2nd & 3rd and 10+ yds.

Part of the problem during the Schott tenure was the reliance on long, sustained drives without any big plays. The offense would get a couple of first downs and then would stall out as soon as there was a Mulligan false start or some other negative play.

The biggest help to Hunter or Ducasse at RT will be an effective run / PA game and staying out of 3rd and 15.

WORD!

by the way look at this from the other perspective, bobby massie was supposed to be a 2nd round, didn't go til rd 4. Cordy Glenn was supposed to be a 1st round, didn't go til rd 2. Coples and Hill were way better picks than going after a RT high. And going after an RT late, that's what the RobertTGriffin pick looks like... huge project.

This victor cruz stuff assumes he'd be the same player with Mark that he is with Eli. If Cruz was on the Jets in 2011 he'd be a forgotten 3rd/4th WR on a mess of an offense.

Seriously...A nice story but enough already he's an UDFA who worked his way to one of the best pure passers in the league.

I swear cause and effect is lost on humans...You learn about it once academically in 2nd grade and life moves on after it...After that context no long exists.

hunter will do better with tony

hunter played through an injury last year

i believe hunter got lazy during the lockout (and brick)

so if he is healthy and motivated, I think he'll be allright

not great, but allright

I don't see how people can criticize the Jets for not having enough talent on their OL when they have 3 pro bowl players out of 5 and 1 AP All-Pro

could the giants win 2 super bowls with a left guard as their left tackle?

the line is plenty good.

I agree with you Bit. I also think that too many guys are too quick to denigrate the OL. Last year even BRICK had a weak season and allowed more sacks then Hunter. Playing with a rookie center with no experience and not a sould capable of calling line plays because NICK was out, can impact any OL. Plus Moore was not up to his usual standardes early on. Slauson played hurt all year and was wearing a strap on his shoulder. yet the guy never quit!

Vlad is a guy that can suddenly develop with this training camp plus OTA's and strength and conditioning! He had very little training last year and we all klnew he was a project. What did most guys expect last year? The few times I saw him get in there he was a beast in the run game. PATIENCE is the key word. There never is any mention of Dennis Landolt. he was a RT that stayed on our PS last year. He caught REX's eye and who knows? We also have Schlauderaff and REX loves his ability. He is more of a OG though I hear he has taken a few snaps at RT. We did draft a good young OG and with great teaching by Sparano this OL can once again be dominant! Hunter is capable . We all saw that in 2010. he played some awfullt tough DEs and DT's and held his own leading to the playoffs. Why do so few care to remember that?

Last year was an off year for the entire OL. This year will be much better. Further if Sparano senses that Hunter can not get it done, there will be many FA's cut by other teams for financial reasons or personnel issues and /or the numbers game. They sky is NOT falling and the Jets FO knows what it is doing! Have faith!

the biggest help for Hunter and Sanchez will be staying out of 2nd & 3rd and 10+ yds.

Part of the problem during the Schott tenure was the reliance on long, sustained drives without any big plays. The offense would get a couple of first downs and then would stall out as soon as there was a Mulligan false start or some other negative play.

The biggest help to Hunter or Ducasse at RT will be an effective run / PA game and staying out of 3rd and 15.

You are absolutely correct! Our QB did hold the ball a bit too long last year while he was trying to go through his progressions. I do think its going to all come together for us this year!

I agree with you Bit. I also think that too many guys are too quick to denigrate the OL. Last year even BRICK had a weak season and allowed more sacks then Hunter. Playing with a rookie center with no experience and not a sould capable of calling line plays because NICK was out, can impact any OL. Plus Moore was not up to his usual standardes early on. Slauson played hurt all year and was wearing a strap on his shoulder. yet the guy never quit!

Vlad is a guy that can suddenly develop with this training camp plus OTA's and strength and conditioning! He had very little training last year and we all klnew he was a project. What did most guys expect last year? The few times I saw him get in there he was a beast in the run game. PATIENCE is the key word. There never is any mention of Dennis Landolt. he was a RT that stayed on our PS last year. He caught REX's eye and who knows? We also have Schlauderaff and REX loves his ability. He is more of a OG though I hear he has taken a few snaps at RT. We did draft a good young OG and with great teaching by Sparano this OL can once again be dominant! Hunter is capable . We all saw that in 2010. he played some awfullt tough DEs and DT's and held his own leading to the playoffs. Why do so few care to remember that?

Last year was an off year for the entire OL. This year will be much better. Further if Sparano senses that Hunter can not get it done, there will be many FA's cut by other teams for financial reasons or personnel issues and /or the numbers game. They sky is NOT falling and the Jets FO knows what it is doing! Have faith!

I think the OL can and probably will be better, especially if Mangold is healthy.

But Dookie-asse sucks. He's a bust. If he wasn't a 2nd round pick he wouldn't be going to camp.You do not take a "project' in the 2nd round. You expect a 2nd rounder is at least starting in year 2 to JAG level.

Again, it's amazing that our GM's lowlevel Div. 1 alma mater produced a undrafted Pro Bowl WR, and yet he managed to draft in the 2nd round a complete waste product from his school.

Cannot wait for another summer of negotiations with Revis in a diner. Or chasing one high-priced starter at a position of strength instead of filing holes. Good work, Mike.

Its funny how we have 2 guys, one with a year experience and one drafted in the 2nd round, on the roster to play RT. And it is a Shakespearian tragedy that our 40+ years of futility all boils down to that spot... yet, we use a couple 6th/7th round picks on the free safety position and it's "problem solved!"

I think the OL can and probably will be better, especially if Mangold is healthy.

But Dookie-asse sucks. He's a bust. If he wasn't a 2nd round pick he wouldn't be going to camp.You do not take a "project' in the 2nd round. You expect a 2nd rounder is at least starting in year 2 to JAG level.

Again, it's amazing that our GM's lowlevel Div. 1 alma mater produced a undrafted Pro Bowl WR, and yet he managed to draft in the 2nd round a complete waste product from his school.

Cannot wait for another summer of negotiations with Revis in a diner. Or chasing one high-priced starter at a position of strength instead of filing holes. Good work, Mike.

Actually, what you don't do is draft a project and then act surprised when he is not ready to play out of the gate. You also don't cut him after two seasons when he has only had one real camp. That's what you don't do. What you do with projects is you develop them. I know Jets fans don't like that, but it doesn't always happen overnight.

Its funny how we have 2 guys, one with a year experience and one drafted in the 2nd round, on the roster to play RT. And it is a Shakespearian tragedy that our 40+ years of futility all boils down to that spot... yet, we use a couple 6th/7th round picks on the free safety position and it's "problem solved!"

That is a really good post.

Actually, what you don't do is draft a project and then act surprised when he is not ready to play out of the gate. You also don't cut him after two seasons when he has only had one real camp. That's what you don't do. What you do with projects is you develop them. I know Jets fans don't like that, but it doesn't always happen overnight.

I have no data on this. But can anyone point to any project a. getting taken in the 2nd round and developing into a quality (not JAG) starter at any position. Dookie-asse isn't even cloae to JAG level.

I have no data on this. But can anyone point to any project a. getting taken in the 2nd round and developing into a quality (not JAG) starter at any position. Dookie-asse isn't even cloae to JAG level.

if we are evaluating draft picks, it's too early to write off Ducasse. Considering how raw he was, and the lockout year in between, he's on his 2nd/3rd year in the season and it's really more like his 1st/2nd year. Keep in mind that OL is a man's game not for boys the list of players who come out of college and instantly start at OL is small. It's not like running back or linebacker where you can tell right away. So long story short Ducasse is far from a bust at least at this point in time.

to speculate I believe that Ducasse will eventually start for the Jets, just not at right tackle. He could be a LG or RG and the Jets do have uncertainty at both spots due to injury (Slauson shoulder and Moore hip)

the Jets also used a 6th rounder on a RT possibility in Robert T Griffin and he's just as raw as Josh Bush or Antonio Allen. The difference is that they don't use 330 pound guys on Westoff's squads. But it's true that point in the draft is basically a 10% chance of success according to Charlie Casserly.

if we are evaluating draft picks, it's too early to write off Ducasse. Considering how raw he was, and the lockout year in between, he's on his 2nd/3rd year in the season and it's really more like his 1st/2nd year. Keep in mind that OL is a man's game not for boys the list of players who come out of college and instantly start at OL is small. It's not like running back or linebacker where you can tell right away. So long story short Ducasse is far from a bust at least at this point in time.

to speculate I believe that Ducasse will eventually start for the Jets, just not at right tackle. He could be a LG or RG and the Jets do have uncertainty at both spots due to injury (Slauson shoulder and Moore hip)

Vlad ever playing tackle in the NFL was a big reach from day one. This compounds the stupidity of the pick -- who in their right mind uses a 2nd round pick for a developmental project to eventually play guard? Our FO brain-trust loves to roll those dice.

Vlad ever playing tackle in the NFL was a big reach from day one. This compounds the stupidity of the pick -- who in their right mind uses a 2nd round pick for a developmental project to eventually play guard? Our FO brain-trust loves to roll those dice.

Your point is well taken. Vlad COULD be a special case due to the fact that the kid never played football until he was a teenager. In spite of all the hatred for him, he actually did pretty well as the 6th OL last year.

I also understand what you and Bit are saying about him being only a RG, but IMO the kid has a chance, with his athleticism, to become a good RT.

He also has a chance to be a total bust. This is the year he has to improve. I don't think that he is going to beat out either Moore (very good player if healthy), or Slauson (Very steady player if healthy) but Hunter's job, IMO, is up for grabs.

IF that happens it will make the Jets a much better OL in general because Hunter is a pretty good back up at both guard and RT, which gives the Jets instant depth.

Sure ain't making any predictions here but I've got my fingers crossed.

The Jets are rolling the dice. Personally,I would bring in Vernon from the "U" just in case things don't go well. Can, and has, played all OL positions, and done well

Yeah but Rex Ryan something something! I SAW Vlad struggle (oh and once you a struggle....) while I have yet to see Allen get raped by a TE.

I liked this post when I first read it but it took Max's comment to get me to praise it. It's perfectly true.

Jets could have traded up to draft Glenn in rd 2 instead of Thrill, would have hurt Jills too, who now have their starting RT/LT for next 10 yrs

Jets could have traded up to draft Glenn in rd 2 instead of Thrill, would have hurt Jills too, who now have their starting RT/LT for next 10 yrs

MEH. He needs coaching and weight loss as well...waist bender.

People thought Vlad might go in the first but fell to the second...Glenn was a from a bigger program so he was more well known, but similar situation (first talk, goes in the second).

Fans see problems under a very specific microscope and we don't have the benefit of 2 things, having the exp. of being an NFL coach and seeing a player everyday. So maybe they know something we don't know and I think this particular group of hierarchy deserve the benefit of the doubt.

i am a big cordy glenn fan but Stephen Hill does alot for this offense, even on paper he's a guy that teams have to account for... that should open up the whole field.

i am a big cordy glenn fan but Stephen Hill does alot for this offense, even on paper he's a guy that teams have to account for... that should open up the whole field.

IMO a 3rd place finish and tanny/rexey wont see any possible fruit from Hill pick, Glenn immediate starter, Hill will struggle early like most wr's do

MEH. He needs coaching and weight loss as well...waist bender.

People thought Vlad might go in the first but fell to the second...Glenn was a from a bigger program so he was more well known, but similar situation (first talk, goes in the second).

Glenn dominated people at Sr Bowl. looks studly to me

Fans see problems under a very specific microscope and we don't have the benefit of 2 things, having the exp. of being an NFL coach and seeing a player everyday. So maybe they know something we don't know and I think this particular group of hierarchy deserve the benefit of the doubt.

My post refers to fan reaction, not coaching staff. You didn't get it.

My post refers to fan reaction, not coaching staff. You didn't get it.

I think I have been living in PA too long, getting too comfortable with a passive aggressive nature that I get taken a back by a direct "you didn't get it". That being said, and for particular reason did I share that, but I did miss read your post. My apologies and I agree. I took your 6/7 picks problem solved as a sarcastic remark regarding not taking a tackle in that slot.

I think I have been living in PA too long, getting too comfortable with a passive aggressive nature that I get taken a back by a direct "you didn't get it". That being said, and for particular reason did I share that, but I did miss read your post. My apologies and I agree. I took your 6/7 picks problem solved as a sarcastic remark regarding not taking a tackle in that slot.

No worries bud. I figured as much. :)

I do not think any of us has enough info to judge Vlad at this time. the guy has not had the benefit of OTA's and mini-camps. he will this year. I suggest that we all be a bit paitient with this player. he has a lot of talent and it will be evident soon!

Jack White's Blunderbuss is the best album I've ever purchased.

Heard a couple of songs, sounds good. "Ever"? Thats strong.

Scarlett Johansson is single

I've got my fingers crossed. I'm sure you are her type.

I'm gainfully employed

For now.

I have great hair

Just because your mom says it, doesnt mean its true.

My penis is just big enough

Does size matter when having sex with boys?

The Avengers was great and The Dark Knoght Rises looks to be amazing

Looking forward to seeing both, when they come out on the TV.

Coffee is good

Try George Howell roasted coffee, you'll think its great.

Bacon

Crusher

Revis is great. David Harris.

Mangold

Eli Manning was great for half the time on SNL

Not his brother.

Archived