Tackling The Right Tackle Dilemma

JetNation

Post image for Tackling The Right Tackle Dilema

Rookie mini-camp took place last week, coaches and players, new and old are back in their facilities, and football fans all over the country are eagerly anticipating the start of the 2012-1013 NFL season.   But some fans in New York are left wondering “how did my beloved Jets forget to upgrade at right tackle”.  They brought in a wildcat quarterback, a safety, drafted what is hoped to be a legitimate pass rusher, and a game changing receiver, but does any of that matter without an improved offensive line?

For me there is really only one worthwhile question to ask.  “Can the New York Jets win a Super Bowl with Wayne Hunter starting at right tackle”?

Obviously it is a little unfair to pin the hopes of millions of fans and a franchise chasing the elusive prize futilely for four decades on one single position, but it seems that is what it has come to.

The Jets went into this off-season with so many needs, it just wasn’t realistic to think they would fill all those holes.   It became pretty clear during free agency and confirmed on draft weekend that replacing or even creating competition at right tackle was not a priority.  Most likely motivated by their limited cap space, the draft not providing a bounty of offensive line talent, and a great portion of their team salary already tied to Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson, they focused on other areas.

So it’s now the job of Rex Ryan, new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, and new offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo to both develop Wayne Hunter as a blocker and develop schemes that allow him to be successful.   I think the current coaching staff is capable of doing that very thing.  Sparano is an ex-offensive line coach and like many offensive coaches elevated to head coach, as he was with the Miami Dolphins, he isn’t credited with creating huge offensive stats or the wildcat notwithstanding, creating new and flashy offensive styles.  Sparano greatest gift may just be player development.   But perhaps the most important thing to consider is the offensive line  is a microcosm of the football team, it’s about the cohesiveness of five players, not their individual talent.   There is no more prideful unit of professional athletes than those that make up an offensive line.    With Mangold as the anchor, Hunter isn’t on an island.  With what we all hope is a renewed focus of the team as a whole, nobody wants to be the weak link.  If Hunter works hard on technique, focus,  and footwork, those collective improvements combined with a second year of five players together on the offensive line should  be enough to propel the effectiveness of the line to new heights.  I am certain the idea of keeping this unit together  played a pivotal role in how they approached their off-season acquisitions.  There may be no substitute for the growth and improvement of an offensive line as a unit than the experience of playing together.

But perhaps the biggest argument for defending what they didn’t do, is looking closely at what they did accomplish.  Most of us have read all about the free agents and draft picks , so I won’t bore you with another Quinton Coples,  Julius Peppers comparison.   However, the prospect of having a guy capable of 12 sacks, and a receiver in Stephen Hill who could make an immediate impact for a quarterback desperate for confidence could pay huge dividends.  While safety LaRon Landry is not necessarily the cover safety the Jets lack, he is a physical football player.   He fits the Rex Ryan defense and with the physical tight ends the Patriots have, he won’t be the type to jump on their back for a ride.   What could be more valuable than minimizing Rob Gronkowski’s yards after catch?

Overall it appears New York Jet fans are pretty happy with The Jets off-season activities.  While the tackle situation has been a topic, perhaps nobody should be happier than Wayne Hunter that the Jets brought in Tim Tebow.   That is worth mentioning mostly because I am contractually obligated to mention Tebow in every article I write for www.JetNation.com, but also because it has kept Hunter from being the biggest story this off-season.    I also chose not to mention Vladimir Ducasse, a name mentioned when discussing an upgrade at right tackle, for two reasons.  I don’t think Ducasse fits into any future Jet plans and I am committed to the idea that keeping the existing line intact was the primary factor in standing pat.

So can the Jets win a Super Bowl with Wayne Hunter starting at right tackle? Perhaps you first have to believe they can win a Super Bowl with their upcoming 53 man roster.  I am not prepared at this point on the calendar to commit to such a statement.  But if the Jets are truly prepared, in all facets, to compete for the  Lombardi Trophy, Wayne Hunter will not single handedly prevent the dreams of so many to finally be realized.

di
di

diDUaa8J-Cw

View the full article

good read. I really like how you waited till the end to mention Tebow. I was getting wonderfully nervous.

While I would have loved an RT in the draft, I believe the O line can be solid. Hunter was really effective filling in in 2010. I am holding to the idea that the Jets were very affected by the lockout. We had a lot of movement with personel and no training camp to get them acclimated.

Excuses excuses..... but good one's I think :D

I am sure its been tough for him to be constantly called out as the weak link. I bet he can't wait to get on that field and hopefully prove he can be a suitable right tackle for a competetive NFL team. If he isn't feeling like that we could be in real trouble.

No, Wayner Hunter may not by himself cost us a playoff berth. But he's bad enouguh that having him start again is a recipe for losing some game becuae he cannot block, not in the running attack and not on passing downs. And Dukie-asse has to be worse if he cannot beat him out. As long as Terry Bradway has been with this team there's been a running theme of indifference to the importance of offensive line talent and continuity. And it ALWAYS bites the jets in the keister. I'm not saying that the jets' top priority is a RT but at a loss how they didn't resign ROb Turner or get some proven JAG for Hunter's spot.

I don't see how people can criticize the Jets for not having enough talent on their OL when they have 3 pro bowl players out of 5 and 1 AP All-Pro

could the giants win 2 super bowls with a left guard as their left tackle?

the line is plenty good.

Vlad will be in the competition for the RT position, and the Jets will be better off if he wins it.

if Vlad wins there's a hit to cohesion. and honestly these players are more or less the same. Great run blocker below average pass blocker. they are about a wash.

if Vlad wins there's a hit to cohesion. and honestly these players are more or less the same. Great run blocker below average pass blocker. they are about a wash.

When Hunter was first penciled in to start, he made a point of saying that he was only keeping the spot warm until Vlad got up to speed. Jets'll be better off if Vlad gets up to speed.

Im not sure how you can make the statement Vlad is a great NFL run blocker. The guy looks confused more often than not and thats not good for an offensive lineman in any respect.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Jack White's Blunderbuss is the best album I've ever purchased.

Scarlett Johansson is single

I'm gainfully employed

I have great hair

My penis is just big enough

The Avengers was great and The Dark Knoght Rises looks to be amazing

Coffee is good

Bacon

Revis is great. David Harris.

Eli Manning was great for half the time on SNL

I'm going to buy a bunch of Brooklyn Nets tickets

I'm planning a trip to Vieques in December.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Nice kellys heros reference

Wayne Hunter's problem is Mark Sanchez's inability to read defenses.

Vlad's problem is that he has no talent.

Neither problem will be overcome in 2012.

Go Jets.

This is crap since Mangold calls the offensive line assignments not Mark Sanchez and you also have no idea what the real problem is on this offense. You cant blame Sanchez for every aspect of the offense its getting a bit ridiculous.

As a QB Sanchez had 3 dicks at the WR position to deal with. One of which was dumped early in the season and the other cant get a job with another team. All 3 known to be selfish bitches and most definetly had some mental effect on the entire offense. constant bickering and complaining bring down the entire unit and we saw alot of players on our offense take a big step back last year

We had obvious Issues with injury on our O line that caused problems that lingered throughout the season.due to poor personnel decisions and the lack of depth which was evident to a lot of people on this forum going into the season.

Our running game stunk compared to the previous 2 years due to the lack of blocking TE's and our team went into the season poorly prepared and poorly set up personnel wise with a moron at OC who is known to be predictable with his play calling

Yet somehow its just really easy to blame all of this on the QB ? Sure I can see blaming him for bone headed turnovers but Im sure thats something he knows can't happen as his career moves forward. Things spiraled out of control last year for our entire offense and to think none of that effects a QB is silly IMO. Lets see what the kid does this year in a new offense with some new talent in areas we were missing last year and make decisions on Sanchez moving forward. If he cant get it done and show improvement in turnovers and comp percentage then we can start to put blame, until then we dont know the real story since we dont have access to anything that we can make an intelligent evaluation but we do know there were multiple problems, not just with the QB

If the Giants can win the Super Bowl with Kareem McKenzie, the Jets can do it with Wayne Hunter. The bigger issue would be if they can win with the heaping pile of sh*t that is the Jets QB position.

Although let's be honest, if the Jets are stupid enough to give Tebow any real snaps at QB (outside of the occasional trick play), it should be rather interesting to see Hunter as a blind side blocker.

No, Wayner Hunter may not by himself cost us a playoff berth. But he's bad enouguh that having him start again is a recipe for losing some game becuae he cannot block, not in the running attack and not on passing downs. And Dukie-asse has to be worse if he cannot beat him out. As long as Terry Bradway has been with this team there's been a running theme of indifference to the importance of offensive line talent and continuity. And it ALWAYS bites the jets in the keister. I'm not saying that the jets' top priority is a RT but at a loss how they didn't resign ROb Turner or get some proven JAG for Hunter's spot.

Yeah indifference like when they drafted. LT and C with two first round picks, then signed a future HOF G, AND a longtime strong side starter to build the best OL in the league.

Believe me, they'll find a way to recover from Rob Turner's loss.

A hit to cohesion a jump in power and athleticism...Cheaper too.

Jack White's Blunderbuss is the best album I've ever purchased.

Scarlett Johansson is single

I'm gainfully employed

I have great hair

My penis is just big enough

The Avengers was great and The Dark Knoght Rises looks to be amazing

Coffee is good

Bacon

Revis is great. David Harris.

Eli Manning was great for half the time on SNL

I'm going to buy a bunch of Brooklyn Nets tickets

I'm planning a trip to Vieques in December.

whats this about bacon? you have my complete attention

Im not sure how you can make the statement Vlad is a great NFL run blocker. The guy looks confused more often than not and thats not good for an offensive lineman in any respect.

Vlad was the 6th OL Last year, the TE eligible in the Jumbo set and he was darn good at run blocking. He looked confused yes 2 years ago when he was a rookie. Last year he was quietly solid in the reps they gave him.

I don't see how people can criticize the Jets for not having enough talent on their OL when they have 3 pro bowl players out of 5 and 1 AP All-Pro

could the giants win 2 super bowls with a left guard as their left tackle?

the line is plenty good.

I guess it is since you don't hear about all the famous right tackles' going to Disneyworld after winning the Supr Bowl. But I think we still might have issues with getting to the Super Bowl if we either a) don't have a right tackle that can keep Sanchez protected which will allow him to (hopefully) execute well, or B) have a Super Bowl caliper quarterback. And I think my bigger worry here is QB and not so much RT. I have less faith in Sanchez than I do in either Hunter or Ducasse.

When Hunter was first penciled in to start, he made a point of saying that he was only keeping the spot warm until Vlad got up to speed. Jets'll be better off if Vlad gets up to speed.

Slats you're a smart guy, stop the delusions that Vlad is anything but a terrible slow footed 3rd stringer. Vlad on the edge is murder for Mark and Tim. Vlad single handedly got Rob Turner's leg broke in the pre-season last year.

the biggest help for Hunter and Sanchez will be staying out of 2nd & 3rd and 10+ yds.

Part of the problem during the Schott tenure was the reliance on long, sustained drives without any big plays. The offense would get a couple of first downs and then would stall out as soon as there was a Mulligan false start or some other negative play.

The biggest help to Hunter or Ducasse at RT will be an effective run / PA game and staying out of 3rd and 15.

the biggest help for Hunter and Sanchez will be staying out of 2nd & 3rd and 10+ yds.

Part of the problem during the Schott tenure was the reliance on long, sustained drives without any big plays. The offense would get a couple of first downs and then would stall out as soon as there was a Mulligan false start or some other negative play.

The biggest help to Hunter or Ducasse at RT will be an effective run / PA game and staying out of 3rd and 15.

Haha Mulligan, what a jake leg bonehead. Glad he's history.

Slats you're a smart guy, stop the delusions that Vlad is anything but a terrible slow footed 3rd stringer. Vlad on the edge is murder for Mark and Tim. Vlad single handedly got Rob Turner's leg broke in the pre-season last year.

I don't think he's physically slow, I think he's slow because he's thinking instead of reacting. No one needed training camp last year more than Vlad. I think a full offseason will put him in the running for the starting job. If the light switches on, he's more athletically talented than Hunter and should win the job. It's all about understanding his assignment for him. As Bit has said, he wasn't bad at all as the 6th OL last season.

If cohesion means anything simply look at the decison to save a few bucks on Plax and Mason and instead of signing Edwards and Cotchery. That may hve been the single biggest blunder to the offense, Sanchez's development, and why with those changes pick that year to dedicate to increasing the passing game and put the running game on hold. So I think if we go ahead with last years o lone squad, have an entire camp to get them ready, a new coach that has experience coaching a o-line it could be a huge improvment. I assume those of you fawning on Ducasse just hate Hunter and want any change. Trust me Ducasse is a bust, shows absolutley nothing that should lead anybody to think he is an NFL starter. Coaches need to recognize then hide weaknesses. Keep a tightend on his side, give him fullback help, there is no reason Hunter needs to be on a solo mission with a pro bowl pass rusher. His run blocking was adequate last year and can get better.

Vlad was the 6th OL Last year, the TE eligible in the Jumbo set and he was darn good at run blocking. He looked confused yes 2 years ago when he was a rookie. Last year he was quietly solid in the reps they gave him.

you have to be kidding me

They should move Vlad to defense. That is the only chance he has of succeeding at the NFL level.

Yeah indifference like when they drafted. LT and C with two first round picks, then signed a future HOF G, AND a longtime strong side starter to build the best OL in the league.

Believe me, they'll find a way to recover from Rob Turner's loss.

It's fair to note that they did draft a LT and C in ealry rounds. But the Jets braintrust (I use this word with soime hesitation) tries to get by a collection of cheap dreck. And when they get a guy like Rob Turner who knows how to do that blocking thing(apparently a negligible skill in the Land of Swagger) and can fill in at every spot on the line, isntead they sign up for another year of Hunter and Dukie-asse and spend a bunch of low rent picks on the OL.

And I admit to beating this to death; what kind of scouting department watches Dukie-asse play at out GM's alma mater and spends a 2nd round on this bum, and doesn't see Victor Criuz about 25 feet outisde of the bum? WTF are these people DOING?

Yes, Kareenm McKenzie got old and now sucks. But he has 2 more rings that any other Jet I can think of. He must be doing something right. Again, the guy at the time could block , Bradway would rather sign another 42 DBs who cannot tackle and DL guys who cannot get to the QB.

Lol Dukie-asse, that legitimizes a point.

You realize that Vlad was getting late first hype in his draft year? Or that Victor Cruz left Mark Sanchez for Eli Manning? Or that 31 other teams missed out on that super talent many many times over?

How much blocking was Rob Turner doing while injured last year?

And I admit to beating this to death; what kind of scouting department watches Dukie-asse play at out GM's alma mater and spends a 2nd round on this bum, and doesn't see Victor Criuz about 25 feet outisde of the bum? WTF are these people DOING?

I forgot how much I enjoy you posts Bugg....I never even thought about this connection

Archived