Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THE ILK

Myers: Scott says fans cursing at Jets were probably 'picked last in dodgeball'

99 posts in this topic

No, he was great. He was a beast his first 2 seasons here. For his role, as the guy who takes on guards and did all the dirty work for Harris....to accumulate the type of stats he did...was very impressive. The ilk probably have the stats out there to prove this from a DVOA stand point, but Scott was one of the better LB'ers in the league his first 2 seasons here.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/13/bart-scott-the-art-of-linebacking-beyond-the-tackle/

Remember when we signed Bart Scott and it could have been Ray Lewis? My how things would be different.

Can't wait to cut this non-beast in the offseason.

Remember when we signed Bart Scott and it could have been Ray Lewis? My how things would be different.

Can't wait to cut this non-beast in the offseason.

truth be told CC, we really had no chance of actually signing Ray Lewis as Baltimore had right of refusal type of thing-in other words, HAD we tried they could have just beaten our price and kept him...

John-he's just another one of the Jets-can't -do-ANYTHING-wrong castoff from JI crowd...probably has made 'friends" with a couple of players over on Twitter, and by made friends I mean the guy has probably gotten (after begging for one) an RT or whatever it is from a player on his birthday

Twitter is gay and I just laugh at people who get so personal about a sport.

I know, I've seen the stats. That said, it is not difficult to draft ILB's that matriculate to the NFL successfully. From a salary cap standpoint, paying a free agent ILB is dumb. Spend your money on positions that are harder to develop, matter more, and draft for positions that don't bust often coming from college.

Plus, he's an a$$hole. I decided I hated him the minute he said "Can't wait" and then that whole team, his team, the team he's supposed to be here to provide veteran leadership to... came out and got spanked because his Jets have no spine.

Meh, he helped install the defense and changed the culture. He was an extension of Ryan on the field and he helped create what looked like a lasting identity for the Jets at the time. He was a crucial plug in a top 3 defense in back to back years.

He's way over paid. No doubt. But I think he was necessary.

Yeah, this. Dude was seriously a possessed monster his first couple of seasons here.

And you can knock the "Cant Wait" all you want, it was pretty ****ing awesome when it happened if you ask me. I watch Football for entertainment, doesnt get much better than that.

Yeah, this. Dude was seriously a possessed monster his first couple of seasons here.

doesnt get much better than that.

Super Bowl appearance or God forbid win?

Meh, he helped install the defense and changed the culture. He was an extension of Ryan on the field and he helped create what looked like a lasting identity for the Jets at the time. He was a crucial plug in a top 3 defense in back to back years.

It was all fluff.

I know, I've seen the stats. That said, it is not difficult to draft ILB's that matriculate to the NFL successfully. From a salary cap standpoint, paying a free agent ILB is dumb. Spend your money on positions that are harder to develop, matter more, and draft for positions that don't bust often coming from college.

Plus, he's an a$$hole. I decided I hated him the minute he said "Can't wait" and then that whole team, his team, the team he's supposed to be here to provide veteran leadership to... came out and got spanked because his Jets have no spine.

Well it's dumb if you're making him the highest paid LB in history (not just the highest for ILBers, which would have been bad enough) and his job is to attempt to occupy blockers for someone else to be the playmaker. At $8M/year he's supposed to be the playmaker.

You pay Johnny Carson to host the talkshow, not Ed McMahon.

You shine a signal into the sky to call Batman to come to the rescue, not Robin.

And particularly if it's going to be for an ILB, you pay Ray Lewis (in his prime) or Patrick Willis the highest LB contract in history, not Bart Scott.

You are 100% correct. However, he's an a$$hole and we should have gotten Ray. :)

Super Bowl appearance or God forbid win?

Still exciting seasons, IMO. 2010 was probably my favorite as a Jets fan. To each his own. When you're a Jets fan, you settle for those things, I guess.

It was all fluff.

2 top 3 finishes on D is not fluff, bub.

Still exciting seasons, IMO. 2010 was probably my favorite as a Jets fan. To each his own. When you're a Jets fan, you settle for those things, I guess.

2 top 3 finishes on D is not fluff, bub.

Where is the culture now?

F-L-U-F FLUF FLUF FLUFF!

You are 100% correct. However, he's an a$$hole and we should have gotten Ray. :)

Lol - there is no way on earth that Steve Bisciotti or Ozzie Newsome would let him leave. Come'on. He's one of the if not, the greatest LB of all time and the face of the franchise for the last decade.

Where is the culture now?

F-L-U-F FLUF FLUF FLUFF!

Sinking with Mark Sanchez...

Lol - there is no way on earth that Steve Bisciotti or Ozzie Newsome would let him leave. Come'on. He's one of the if not, the greatest LB of all time and the face of the franchise for the last decade.

Lewis was a FA on the day we signed Bart Scott. He was still a FA for about 2 weeks after Bart Scott was signed.

Bart Scott got 50% more guaranteed money on his deal than Ray Lewis got 2 weeks later, after the the Jets set the bar with Bart Scott's deal. That's how out of whack Bart Scott's contract was. Lewis could have easily been had for less than Scott.

Lewis, Suggs and Reed made Rex Ryan. They set a tone on the field for their teammates to exemplify, and Rex got accolades and ultimately a head coaching job, because of their performance.

With the Jets, their are no real leaders on the field (despite the want of the head coach to just give out "C"s), and that leaves Ryan in a lurch. He is seemingly unable to develop leaders, as he is not one himself, and this leaves the Jets desolate in seeking identity.

Lewis was a FA on the day we signed Bart Scott. He was still a FA for about 2 weeks after Bart Scott was signed.

So? They still werent going to let him walk.

Lewis, Suggs and Reed made Rex Ryan. They set a tone on the field for their teammates to exemplify, and Rex got accolades and ultimately a head coaching job, because of their performance.

His top 3 ranked D's 2 years straight followed by a top 5, would beg to differ.

Rex's defense is a lot like the Yankees offense when they face a pitcher for the first time. Lights out the first time he see's them....then gets figured out.

Edited by Matt39

With the Jets, their are no real leaders on the field (despite the want of the head coach to just give out "C"s), and that leaves Ryan in a lurch. He is seemingly unable to develop leaders, as he is not one himself, and this leaves the Jets desolate in seeking identity.

I think you are right. Even though he was a players coach there, he was an assistant. Brian Billick didn't take any sh*t. The guys you listed are leaders in their roles, something that doesn't happen if you're immature and unfocused. Having fun and playing hard is different than being a loud mouthed burnout who physically cannot lead by example.

So? They still werent going to let him walk.

After two weeks of negotiating after Scott's deal set the market with $8M/year with $22M guaranteed, Baltimore signed Lewis for $6M/year with $15M guaranteed.

We got Scott instead of Lewis because that's who Rex Ryan wanted, not because Baltimore was going to pay any price for Lewis.

Sinking with Mark Sanchez...

A Pac on you and you ancestors!

After two weeks of negotiating after Scott's deal set the market with $8M/year with $22M guaranteed, Baltimore signed Lewis for $6M/year with $15M guaranteed.

We got Scott instead of Lewis because that's who Rex Ryan wanted, not because Baltimore was going to pay any price for Lewis.

As I recall, Lewis was upset that Ryan would not target him.

A Pac on you and you ancestors!

Have to believe even Pac would laugh at that one.

Nicely done.

As I recall, Lewis was upset that Ryan would not target him.

I don't recall, but I'll take your word for it. That makes it even worse.

Believe whatever you want, but IMO you're all delusional if you think Ray Lewis was ever leaving Baltimore.