•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FREE AGENT dept. ~ ~ ~

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 kelly

kelly

is dancing w/ the devil ~

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
  • Locationdunwoody, ga ! !

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Jets free-agent class '13
A roundup of the Jets eligible for unrestricted and restricted free agency :

UNRESTRICTED

S Yeremiah Bell -- There's usually not much of a market for 35-year-old safeties, but he was a solid addition and brought leadership to the locker room. They should bring him back on a one-year deal. He's a good "hold-the-fort guy," as Parcells used to say.

DT Mike DeVito -- The Jets are nuts if they let him get away. He's a true heart-and-soul player, still in the prime of his career. But here's the reality: They have to make Quinton Coples a starter to justify his first-round status, and that means DeVito will get better money elsewhere.

PK Nick Folk -- Solid kicker, solid year. Sounds like another one-year contract.

RB Shonn Greene -- It's be interesting to see the kind of market that develops for him. He's a complementary back, not a true No. 1. Chances are, the Jets will look to upgrade, bringing in a speed back to complement Bilal Powell.

FB Lex Hilliard -- The Jets plucked him off the scrap heap and that's where he'll end up.

TE Dustin Keller -- Someone will get a great bargain, and it probably won't be the Jets. In the right offense, Keller has the receiving skills to shine. The Jets' interest will depend on their new offensive scheme -- assuming Tony Sparano is gone.

S LaRon Landry -- Should the Jets try to re-sign him? Absolutely. Will it happen? Highly unlikely. They can't use the franchise tag, per a clause in his contract, and they probably won't be able to afford him. Landry bet on himself by signing a one-year deal with the Jets -- and he won.

G Brandon Moore -- He's the fourth-rated guard in the league, according to ProFootballFocus.com, but the Jets probably will try to get younger. At the same, Moore, who will be 34, may want a change of scenery after a decade of Jet craziness.

WR Chaz Schilens -- He's a one-year, minimum-salary type of player, strictly a No. 4 or No. 5 receiver. He can play special teams, too. He's unlikely to return. The media madness around the team really was an eye-opener for Schilens.

G Matt Slauson -- Management forced him to take a pay cut and turned his position into a time-share with Vladimir Ducasse, strong indications that it's prepared to part ways. Too bad, because Slauson is a smart, workmanlike player.

LB Bryan Thomas -- He'll be 34 and his body is breaking down. The former first-round pick gave everything he had for more than a decade, but it's time to move on. Thomas could end up retiring.

RESTRICTED

TE Jeff Cumberland -- He can be a serviceable No. 2 tight end, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they let him test the market.

RT Austin Howard -- It'll be interesting to see if the new GM likes him as much as the old one. Howard came a long way in a year and, with continued development, he can be a solid starter in the league.

LB Josh Mauga -- Unlikely to be tendered.

LS Tanner Purdum -- They brought in some competition by signing Travis Tripuka to a reserve/future contract. He's the son of former NBA player Kelly Tripuka and grandson of former Broncos great Frank Tripuka. The Jets probably won't tender Purdum, letting him test the waters.

> http://espn.go.com/b...-agent-class-13
i ♥ u guys :P.. ...cheers ~ ~ :beer:

#2 JayKwaz

JayKwaz

the original Jackass

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • LocationRiverhead, NY

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Bring back Cumberland and Howard, let the rest walk. Don't sign any free agents. Get teh cap straight, regroup with draft and compensatory picks.
In Rex I trust

#3 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,546 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think you have to bring back Moore or Slauson. I have no faith in Vlad to be a starting guard. There are too many holes to create another one at guard. Bell would be fine to bring back, Landry earned a decent pay day elsewhere. Hilliard wasn't bad, except missing blocks all the time. DeVito should be brought back too. Everyone else can take a walk.

#4 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Ducasse won't be on the Jets next season.
Tank for Teddy.

#5 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Report : Jets Will Free Up $30 Million is Salary, Early in Waiver Period

This won’t be much of a surprise to anybody, nor will anybody be upset by it.

Rich Cimini of ESPN New York reported in his Sunday Notes article yesterday that when the waiver period opens in February, the Jets will let go of over $30 million off of their cap number quick than it “takes to hail a cab”. His report advises that we will say goodbye to :
  • Calvin Pace ($8.56 million saved)
  • Bart Scott ($7.15 million saved)
  • Jason Smith ($12 million saved)
  • Eric Smith ($3 million saved)
In total, that will knock $30.7 million off of the Jets cap number, leaving only $4.5 million in dead money. A win-win for the Jets.Obviously, this won’t solve all of the Jets problems, but it will be a good start, that’s for sure. Come February, the Jets can finally pull the linebacking corp out of the Stone Ages, and we will be able to say we “can’t wait” to see the young linebackers. Done will be the #63 eligible days as well. The Jumbo package, as we know it, will be no more.

> http://thejetpress.c...-waiver-period/

#6 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Without Slauson and Moore, whoever our QB is... is dead.

#7 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,790 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Keep Sanchez and get somebody off of Washingtons staff to implement that offense here.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#8 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,583 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

The Jets need this guy:

Posted Image

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#9 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,583 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Although this guy:

Posted Image

could also work.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#10 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Keep Sanchez and get somebody off of Washingtons staff to implement that offense here.

Thats a terrible idea.
Tank for Teddy.

#11 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 5,179 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Both of these guys are more than serviceable. What good can come from cutting them loose. We should keep our eyes out for Moore's replacement in the draft and hopefully have him learn a thing or two from the veteran.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#12 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

• Members
  • 6,790 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Thats a terrible idea.

Not if my plan is to kill Sanchez

#13 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Thats a terrible idea.

Its actually an awesome idea.

#14 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

• Members
  • 6,790 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

I think you have to bring back Moore or Slauson. I have no faith in Vlad to be a starting guard. There are too many holes to create another one at guard. Bell would be fine to bring back, Landry earned a decent pay day elsewhere. Hilliard wasn't bad, except missing blocks all the time. DeVito should be brought back too. Everyone else can take a walk.

Really hope he's back

Edited by SayNoToDMC, 08 January 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#15 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

Bell
Landry
Moore
Slauson
Folk
Howard.

Our line and secondary would be set. Landry is the only big ticket guy on that list, no?

#16 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

Both of these guys are more than serviceable. What good can come from cutting them loose. We should keep our eyes out for Moore's replacement in the draft and hopefully have him learn a thing or two from the veteran.

I am with you 100%. One is old, the other a moron. They won't cost us too much to retain, and they weren't liabilities for us at all. Without Moore, Slauson, Howard, and Brick playing less than great... we couldn't ground and pound a chuck steak.

#17 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

We obviously need to keep Moore and Slauson.

Ducasse may be the answer at LG, but the Pete Kendall turned Adriene Clarke debacle should be enough to dispell the notion that OG is a position we can afford to neglect. I would rather keep them both AND draft a newbie (early on) than let them both float on to newer pasteurs and trust someone new. My favor fave is DJ Fluker (Alabama), a natural RT who could bounce inside with his mauling run block style.

#18 Ryno the Jet

Ryno the Jet

AGS WIN

• Members
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

Thats a terrible idea.

The idea is to get Sanchez to do da stanky leg like Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Ryno the Jet

Ryno the Jet

AGS WIN

• Members
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

LB Bryan Thomas -- He'll be 34 and his body is breaking down. The former first-round pick gave everything he had for more than a decade, but it's time to move on. Thomas could end up retiring.

Except that year he admittedly didn't give it his all...

#20 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

The Jets need this guy:

Posted Image

we need alot more than just him^^^

:winking0001:

#21 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Ideally, the jets GM would have drafted a guard or right tackle LAST year in order to shore up depth and add a measure of continuity knowing that the team was likely going to lose one or both of its guards to FA this year. Ideally.
Freakin' Tannenbaum. I know he's gone. I just can't quit him.

#22 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Ideally, the jets GM would have drafted a guard or right tackle LAST year in order to shore up depth and add a measure of continuity knowing that the team was likely going to lose one or both of its guards to FA this year. Ideally.

#23 LAD_Brooklyn

LAD_Brooklyn

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm excited to have Josh Mauga back for next year and hopefully healthy. Not so sure what type of injury and when it occured for him to have miss the entire season. But with him back there's no reason to bring back Scott nor to rush Davis into the startign slot just because he's a 3rd rounder.

#24 kelly

kelly

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

AFC East's top free agents: Nos. 4-6

The AFC East blog continues its ranking of the top dozen free agents.

Here are Nos. 4-6 :

No. 6 : Sean Smith, CB, Dolphins

2012 stats : 59 tackles, two INTs, three forced fumbles

Analysis : The Miami Dolphins are in a tough spot with Smith. Miami cannot afford to lose more corners. Cornerback is a premium position and Smith may be able to command upwards of $8 million per year on the open market. The Dolphins may not want to pay that much in a multi-year extension. Miami also has the option to use a one-year franchise tag on Smith. But that would eat up a lot of cap room for Smith, who is a good but not elite corner.

:cheer: No. 5: LaRon Landry, S, Jets

2012 stats: 99 tackles, two INTs, four forced fumbles

Analysis: Landry's stock rose dramatically this year with the New York Jets. He stayed around the football, recording 99 tackles, four forced fumbles and two interception. Landry also made the Pro Bowl. The Jets were able to sign Landry to a team-friendly, one-year contract last season due to injury concerns with his Achilles. But Landry showed his durability by playing in all 16 games and will be looking for a multi-year extension. The Jets don't have much money available to use in the free agency and could lose Landry.

No. 4: Andy Levitre, G, Bills

2012 stats: 16 starts

Analysis: Levitre might be Buffalo's best offensive lineman. He's a versatile guard who plays a big role in Buffalo's offense. There is a reason C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson had so many running lanes over the past two seasons. It's clear Buffalo wants to keep its offensive line in tact. The Bills signed guard Kraig Urbik to a four-year, $15 million extension last month. Levitre, the other starting guard, will come with a higher price tag.

We will have the division's top three pending free agents later in the AFC East blog.

> http://espn.go.com/b...-agents-nos-4-6

#25 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,823 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

We did. He just sucked is all.

JetNation.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users