Jaguars Request Permission to Interview Brian Schottenheimer For HC

jetscanes331

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows. He was a bad OC, but maybe he'd be a good HC. What was Marty S really ever known for?

His teams always won, couldn't win the big games, but it wasn't like Marty was some offensive or defensive guru.

I wouldn't say Brian is going to be some super successful HC, but you never know. If he takes advice from his father about how to be a HC, he might actually be pretty good. He might never win anything, but he'd make it to the playoffs.

The idea would be to hire a good OC, good DC, some good assistants and just win. I mean people say Parcells never won without BB.

BB hasn't won without Crennel and Weiss. Dick Vermeil won with Mike Martz.

Rex Ryan is one hell of a DC, i'm not sold on him being a HC. Norv Turner was one hell of an OC years ago, he's a bad HC. There is no rhyme or reason to what really makes a great HC. Some great Offensive minds suck as a HC. Some great defensive minds suck as a HC.

Yes, this is why you don't just fire your head coach without looking at what else is out there. Can you *&*&*% imagine if Shotty was coaching both sides of the ball here? What would a B. Shot defense look like?

Also can you imagine if Tebow goes to JAX? A Shotty offense with Tebow at the helm? ROFLcopter!

Yes, this is why you don't just fire your head coach without looking at what else is out there. Can you *&*&*% imagine if Shotty was coaching both sides of the ball here? What would a B. Shot defense look like?

Also can you imagine if Tebow goes to JAX? A Shotty offense with Tebow at the helm? ROFLcopter!

Based on what they said today Tebow isn't going to Jax. In all fairness, we had success with Brad Smith out of the wildcat.

I don't know why this is such a surprise, he's been touted as a better HC than a coordinator by just about everyone he's worked for or with. Pretty sure it's been mentioned numerous times over his tenure here that he was going to eventually become a good HC, regardless of his ability as a coordinator.

Crazy that Jacksonville would let the new GM fire the coach. I wonder if that was a factor in the GM taking that job????????????????

Possibly, but it's a lot easier convince an owner to fire someone like Mularky who has sucked in every stint as a head coach he's had. He hasn't even flashed signs of becoming a good one. At least with Rex he's shown some ability; now it's on management to put a FO in place to augment his positives and curtail his negatives, which is the part where I lose faith in them. I think Rex has promise, but I don't think it'll be fulfilled here unless he either learns from all his mistakes quicker than he's been accustomed to or the team finally gets some strong-willed decision-makers above him.

Schotty was scapegoated. Sparano was worse. And it was all Sanchez's fault anyway.

Sanchez sucks. True.

Schotty was scapegoated. False.

Sparano was worse. Also true.

But Sparano being worse didn't excuse Schotty's 3rd & 8 handoffs to Greene up the middle for 2.

Here is the part that nobody will agree with but it is the truth.

Schotty will get a chance to be a head coach in this league and he could be a good one. I am not saying he will be. Just saying that because he was a mediocre O\C doesn't mean he can't be a good head coach. He will have coordinators on both sides of the ball and he will be the leader of the team. If he is good at that, he could be a good head coach.

Now you can all start not agreeing with me.

Schotty will get a chance to be a head coach in this league and he could be a good one. I am not saying he will be. Just saying that because he was a mediocre O\C doesn't mean he can't be a good head coach. He will have coordinators on both sides of the ball and he will be the leader of the team. If he is good at that, he could be a good head coach.

This, plus it will all depend on if he has a QB.

I don't know why this is such a surprise, he's been touted as a better HC than a coordinator by just about everyone he's worked for or with. Pretty sure it's been mentioned numerous times over his tenure here that he was going to eventually become a good HC, regardless of his ability as a coordinator.

Having Brian Schottenheimer on your team as the HC is only a good thing in the capacity that he would not be on your team as the OC.

But Sparano being worse didn't excuse Schotty's 3rd & 8 handoffs to Greene up the middle for 2.

it's not great but the reason why coaches make that decision is because passing is higher risk. That's why they trotted Tim Tebow on the field. To limit the exposure of turnover machine Mark Sanchez.

I play alot of devils advocate because I believe we should try to walk in another man's shoes. We are jets fans and our jobs aren't on the line when they lose. If my paycheck was on the line, yeah I might call the draw too. Gutless and safe that's how the kids get to go to private school.

football wise my problem with Schotty was all his damn pre-snap motions. like anyone really believed the fullback was catching a pass out in the WR position. But it was a misdirection offense and every other team in the league does similar. he probably will be a long time HC jets fans, just prepare yourself for that. at least a Marvin Lewis type of small city institution.

My problem with the decision to fire Schotty is the lack of clear upgrades. Don't just change every 4 years just because they lost and you're mad. That's "punch a wall" thinking. The Jets could fire Rex and get the HC version of Tony Sparano. It is possible if not likely. It takes time to learn new play books. The "doesn't make the Jets better" has become a ha-ha meme for the board but I stand by it, at least in the case of firing Rex. Firing talented coaches is not a cure all for all that ails the Jets. In fact we will look back on Rex's D with fond memories.

I agree 100%

Way to take all the fun out of disagreeing!

It will depend on who they draft as a QB and who he hires as OC & DC. If he brings Norv Turner in as OC,

people in Jetsland will still bash the move, but if Norv Turner came to the Jets, they'd love the move.

That's just the way things work. I doubt Turner winds up in Jacksonville though. But Cam Cameron did work for his father, and I think that would be a decent move. But again, it all depends on the QB they wind up with.

Archived