Free Agency News & Rumors

Bleedin Green

I would be just as happy with a 2013 1st and a 2014 2nd.

For that matter, I would be just as happy with a 2013 2nd and a 2014 1st, even.

With no standout QB's in this draft, couldn't hurt to get a 1st day pick for 2014 which can then be paired with another one of our picks (if need be) to trade up for our franchise QB.

me too.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will keep you updated on all the latest Jets news right here on the Jet Nation blog.  For those that want to keep track of what is going around in the NFL, there is a live tracker in our football forum.  The thread has the big moves from around the NFL listed.  It is a good resource that allows you to get caught up the moves other teams are making.

Here is a brief recap after day one of free agency on some ex-Jets.  We also included some players that are possibly soon to be ex-Jets:

• is no longer a Seattle Seahawk
  • traveled to Kansas City.  EDIT:  Devito is now a Chief.

• The Jets defensive line will have a different look to it after this report on
  • It looks like won’t be an ex-Jet (Jets 2nd round tender offer)
  • Laron Landry, Dustin Keller and Shonn Greene are all taking road trips as well.

The last one is the scariest of them all, as it is being reported that the Jets have a serious

Please like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for all the latest Jets news.

Today, Dustin Keller meets with........... the Miami Dolphins.

Thanks for this thread btw...awesome info! I linked to it from a post on the front page. It is a very good resource, get caught up on all the moves in one shot.

Latest NewsRecent NewsFree agent WR Brandon Gibson is scheduled to visit the Dolphins following Wednesday's meeting with the Jets.While the Jets likely view Gibson as a go-to guy in their offense opposite Santonio Holmes, the Dolphins would wisely use him as a No. 3/4 receiver behind starters Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline. We'll see if Gang Green can actually land one of their targets after striking out on Day 1. Mar 13 - 8:40 AM

Latest NewsRecent NewsFree agent WR Brandon Gibson is scheduled to visit the Dolphins following Wednesday's meeting with the Jets.While the Jets likely view Gibson as a go-to guy in their offense opposite Santonio Holmes, the Dolphins would wisely use him as a No. 3/4 receiver behind starters Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline. We'll see if Gang Green can actually land one of their targets after striking out on Day 1. Mar 13 - 8:40 AM

Really doubt the Jets are looking at Gibson as the #2 guy in front of Hill and Kerley, Nor are they going to pay him like it.   Also Don't think the Jets "struck out"   Only player they wanted on first day was DeVito.  DeVito got a nice contract

Really doubt the Jets are looking at Gibson as the #2 guy in front of Hill and Kerley, Nor are they going to pay him like it.   Also Don't think the Jets "struck out"   Only player they wanted on first day was DeVito.  DeVito got a nice contract

Yeah, I was wondering that myself.  How exactly did they strike out considering there were no rumors of them even being in negotiations with anyone?  Outside of cuts and the Revis trade rumors, the only time the Jets' name came up yesterday was them trying to re-sign DeVito (which had been ongoing since long before yesterday) and them possibly being interested in Chase Daniels, who was signed before they even talked to him.

As far as Gibson goes, I could see them giving him a shot to compete with Hill, even if simply as a way to push Hill if nothing else.  Holmes and Kerley are locked in as #1 and #3.

Yeah, I was wondering that myself.  How exactly did they strike out considering there were no rumors of them even being in negotiations with anyone?  Outside of cuts and the Revis trade rumors, the only time the Jets' name came up yesterday was them trying to re-sign DeVito (which had been ongoing since long before yesterday) and them possibly being interested in Chase Daniels, who was signed before they even talked to him.

As far as Gibson goes, I could see them giving him a shot to compete with Hill, even if simply as a way to push Hill if nothing else.  Holmes and Kerley are locked in as #1 and #3.

The Fish seem to be over paying everyone, so I suspect they will outbid the Jets for Gibson.   I don't think not matching an overpriced offer is "striking out". 

On your point about Hill.  Of course if the Jets sign Gibson, and he plays better then Hill, he gets the job. I'mhoping Hill is a much better player this year.  I know a lot of Jets fans are calling him a bust already, but the kid has a tremedous amount of skils,and from what I've read has an excellent work ethic.   He was a project coming in.  Think he has a very good year.

The Fish seem to be over paying everyone, so I suspect they will outbid the Jets for Gibson.   I don't think not matching an overpriced offer is "striking out". 

On your point about Hill.  Of course if the Jets sign Gibson, and he plays better then Hill, he gets the job. I'mhoping Hill is a much better player this year.  I know a lot of Jets fans are calling him a bust already, but the kid has a tremedous amount of skils,and from what I've read has an excellent work ethic.   He was a project coming in.  Think he has a very good year.

I don't disagree with you, but I think the Jets would probably like to get some sort of decent veteran in at WR (if not Gibson, someone else) to push Hill, with the hope being that it only drives Hill to get better and he wins the job outright.

Latest Rumor: Bucs offered Jets a 2nd Round pick in 2013 and a conditional 1st round pick in 2014 for Revis. The Jets are asking for the reverse 1st rounder in 2013 and conditional 2nd rounder 2014. 

What's a conditional first round pick in 2014? Conditional second that could become a first?

Don't know. I think it probably means that the conditional pick becomes a 1st if he plays a % of time in 2013. Its a protection against the knee issue flaring up again. If it flares then it stays at whatever the base is (3rd? 2nd?) but if he plays through 2013 then it becomes a 1st rounder in 2014. 

What's a conditional first round pick in 2014? Conditional second that could become a first?

Could be a lot of ways it goes, for instance.

A second round pick this year for the right to have Revis on the team, and negotiate a new contract with him.  The Jets get a first next year if he is healthy, and get him signed.  If not.  Just the second.

Could read lots of ways.  A 4th in 2014 if he plays 10 games, and a first if they sign him.

Strongly think it is going to be like that.  A second this year, and a conditional first next

Don't know. I think it probably means that the conditional pick becomes a 1st if he plays a % of time in 2013. Its a protection against the knee issue flaring up again. If it flares then it stays at whatever the base is (3rd? 2nd?) but if he plays through 2013 then it becomes a 1st rounder in 2014. 

Or if they can't sign him.   I read that they attached a contract offer to the trade agreement that the Jets know he won't accept, and that's the hold up on the deal

Could be a lot of ways it goes, for instance.

A second round pick this year for the right to have Revis on the team, and negotiate a new contract with him.  The Jets get a first next year if he is healthy, and get him signed.  If not.  Just the first.

Could read lots of ways.  A 4th in 2014 if he plays 10 games, and a first if they sign him.

Strongly think it is going to be like that.  A second this year, and a conditional first next

I guess I generally read it the other way - i.e. a conditional 2 is a 2 that could become a 1. So a conditional 1 didn't make sense. But you may be right. Quality of that offer would largely depend on the conditions if you're right.

At WR there might be a few players that are available that can be used to the upgrade over the Chilens/Gates combo OR in case Holmes is not available OR Stephen Hill plays like the rookie Stephen Hill.

Laurent Robinson just got released by the Jags, DHB was released by the Raiders. For the right price these guys would be decent upgrades!

Latest Rumor: Bucs offered Jets a 2nd Round pick in 2013 and a conditional 1st round pick in 2014 for Revis. The Jets are asking for the reverse 1st rounder in 2013 and conditional 2nd rounder 2014. 

Your link/source? Coles?

+1  On top of that, I don't think Gibson is worth a bidding war.  Tanny said on NFLN  that the Jets were really high on him last year before he resigned with the rams, citing Scott Cohen as really liking the kid.  Though I haven't really seen him in action, his stats are pretty paltry--last year was his first decent showing in the league.     As per Hill, it takes WRs three years to hit their stride in the league.  Perhaps that's why Gibson broke out last year...and maybe that's why they're looking for WR additions.  But I would hope they're being realistic with Hill this year; not resting our laurels on him, but not giving up on his progress either.  

At WR there might be a few players that are available that can be used to the upgrade over the Chilens/Gates combo OR in case Holmes is not available OR Stephen Hill plays like the rookie Stephen Hill.

Laurent Robinson just got released by the Jags, DHB was released by the Raiders. For the right price these guys would be decent upgrades!

-DHB was coached (up) by our WR coach, SanJay, so that's an interesting option.  He's young, with great size and tremendous speed.  His only two knocks are his hands and inability to run routes.

-Robinson had four concussions....in 2012, alone.  I would stay away from that mess it's a slippery slope.  

which goes w what a lot of posters here have been saying, that's a perfect situation for him. He'll make for a Very good change of pace back.

Agreed, I really think that's a great landing spot for him.  Moves him back into a backup role and allows him to play the inside/power runner compliment to a shifty and quicker back.  He'll be getting plenty of reps in the 4th quarter against some worn-out Ds, which is where he's always thrived.  Greene was far from great, but when I saw that rumor I thought it was a move that made a lot of sense.

-DHB was coached (up) by our WR coach, SanJay, so that's an interesting option.  He's young, with great size and tremendous speed.  His only two knocks are his hands and inability to run routes.

-Robinson had four concussions....in 2012, alone.  I would stay away from that mess it's a slippery slope.  

DHB can run very fast in a straight line and though his hands are small he seems to better than Hill at holding on to the ball. At a reasonable price we should defintiely look at him.

Robinson is another story. If he gets medical clearance and gets signed for a reasonable price I will give him a look in.

As far as Hill is concerned I hope he shows he is past the rookie hump. Demaryius Thomas(same school) had pretty limited contributions for the Broncos and then got hurt in his rookie campaign. He did show some something in the 2nd season. I hope that's the case with Hill!

Would love every second of this.  What a f*ck you that would be to Brady and Bellichik.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Broncos are in "serious talks" with free agent Wes Welker, and are "trying to hammer out an agreement."
Per Schefter, a resolution is expected Wednesday. It's possible it's a leverage ploy from an increasingly restless Welker camp, but it would be an act of war in the Peyton Manning/Tom Brady rivalry if true. The move would be damaging to both Welker and Eric Decker's fantasy value, but a huge boon for a team with a Super Bowl or bust mentality. No team would have a better receiver corps than Denver if Welker headed west. Peyton Manning would be even more impossible to defend.

Would love every second of this.  What a f*ck you that would be to Brady and Bellichik.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Broncos are in "serious talks" with free agent Wes Welker, and are "trying to hammer out an agreement."
Per Schefter, a resolution is expected Wednesday. It's possible it's a leverage ploy from an increasingly restless Welker camp, but it would be an act of war in the Peyton Manning/Tom Brady rivalry if true. The move would be damaging to both Welker and Eric Decker's fantasy value, but a huge boon for a team with a Super Bowl or bust mentality. No team would have a better receiver corps than Denver if Welker headed west. Peyton Manning would be even more impossible to defend.

Good I hope it happens, he's been Brady''s Maine (pun) since he got there.

I really wonder how Brady feels. Many thought Brady made the recent deal so that the Pats could add talent for him to be successful. Well now Welker looks like he is not going to be a Pat.

+1  On top of that, I don't think Gibson is worth a bidding war.  Tanny said on NFLN  that the Jets were really high on him last year before he resigned with the rams, citing Scott Cohen as really liking the kid.  Though I haven't really seen him in action, his stats are pretty paltry--last year was his first decent showing in the league.     As per Hill, it takes WRs three years to hit their stride in the league.  Perhaps that's why Gibson broke out last year...and maybe that's why they're looking for WR additions.  But I would hope they're being realistic with Hill this year; not resting our laurels on him, but not giving up on his progress either.  

DHB is a xerox copy of Hills, except Hill has more potential imo.

I really wonder how Brady feels. Many thought Brady made the recent deal so that the Pats could add talent for him to be successful. Well now Welker looks like he is not going to be a Pat.

Brady made his recent deal because he doubled his guaranteed money

Archived