Dee Milliner practices for first time in 4 weeks

Jetlife33

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does not necessarily mean that he will be ready to go Sunday, but a good sign nonetheless:

CB Dee Milliner has pads on and is taking part in DB drills. Rex will have an update later.

Jets GM John Idzik watching Dee Milliner go through position drills, on a very nice blue-sky weather day in Florham Park.

Now Milliner doing positional drills with DBs, backpedaling with turn and catch. Ryan, Idzik watching Milliner. #nyj

Does not necessarily mean that he will be ready to go Sunday, but a good sign nonetheless:

CB Dee Milliner has pads on and is taking part in DB drills. Rex will have an update later.

Jets GM John Idzik watching Dee Milliner go through position drills, on a very nice blue-sky weather day in Florham Park.

Now Milliner doing positional drills with DBs, backpedaling with turn and catch. Ryan, Idzik watching Milliner. #nyj

Good news.

FLORHAM PARK -- The Jets got an encouraging sign Wednesday, when cornerback Dee Milliner dressed for practice for the first time since he suffered a high left ankle sprain Aug. 10, during a training camp practice at SUNY Cortland.

It is unclear if Milliner will be ready to play in Sunday's game at the Packers, whose quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, will be looking to make an impact after Green Bay began the season with a 36-16 loss at Seattle. Milliner missed the Jets' season-opening win over the Raiders.

Milliner, who was wearing full pads Wednesday just like the rest of the Jets, stretched with his teammates at the start of practice. He then went inside the team's complex for a few minutes. When he returned, he went to the rehab area and did some lunging exercises. Then he did a couple straight-ahead, half-speed sprints, at a distance of about 20 yards. Milliner last week did this sort of running during practice, while out of uniform.

Though Milliner missed the beginning of positional drills while in the rehab area, he joined the defensive backs for a couple drills, during the 30-minute period of practice that was open to reporters. As general manager John Idzik looked on, Milliner did a drill that involved light back pedaling. Then he did one that comprised back pedaling, turning, and catching a pass thrown right at him.

At the end of the open portion of practice, Milliner participated in a walk-through style drill that was done at three-quarters speed and involved him back pedaling from the cornerback position, while another defensive back played the role of receiver.

The fact that Milliner dressed for Wednesday's practice and got work in positional drills by no means guarantees that he will play at Green Bay -- a team that will test the Jets' secondary far more than the Raiders' rookie quarterback, Derek Carr, did. But exactly a month after he initially got hurt, it is a marker of progress as Milliner attempts to return from an injury that can be notoriously nagging.

Among the Jets' other injuries, reserve linebacker A.J. Edds (hamstring) did not dress for Wednesday's practice. He rode a stationary bike. He got hurt against the Raiders. Also getting work in the rehab area: backup safety Josh Bush (quadriceps) and backup rookie linebacker IK Enemkpali (plantar fascia foot injury). Both were dressed for Wednesday's practice. Neither played against the Raiders. Starting tight end Jeff Cumberland (Achilles tightness) played against the Raiders, but was not present during the open portion of Wednesday's practice.

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Whatever happens, I hope they don't rush him back. If he's good to go, fine. If not, would much rather have him for 14 games then get him for this game and have him go down.

I would rather not see them hurry him back too early and then he gets continually hurt for the rest of the season...but I can totally see that happening. 

Agreed...but I think he's a huge factor in this game and starting off 2-0 with the schedule that Jets have would be a really great start to the season and truly help the 3 game slide they're destined for here in a few weeks.

They match up really well with the Packers.

Agreed...but I think he's a huge factor in this game and starting off 2-0 with the schedule that Jets have would be a really great start to the season and truly help the 3 game slide they're destined for here in a few weeks.

That would be great, but losing on the road to an NFC opponent wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, either. Milliner's health should be paramount here. I'd rather he take a week or two to get to 100%, than be at 90% or less for the rest of the year.

That would be great, but losing on the road to an NFC opponent wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, either. Milliner's health should be paramount here. I'd rather he take a week or two to get to 100%, than be at 90% or less for the rest of the year.

I think we all kind of feel the same way, but if there is a position to rush somebody back at it is corner.  They are super thin and will need all hands on deck this week. 

I think we all kind of feel the same way, but if there is a position to rush somebody back at it is corner.  They are super thin and will need all hands on deck this week. 

They play on Monday night the following week too.  So he does get a little extra rest if they decide to let him play at the 90% level.

I understand what you're saying, but It's gonna be all hands on deck for the next six weeks. I'd rather have Milliner back at 100% for four or five of them, than <100% and aggravating the thing every week for the rest of the year. The fact that the next few games are all NFC opponents makes it a little easier to rest him, IMHO. When we really need him full strength is against the Chargers, Broncos, and Pats.

04Tdw8uq_normal.jpegDWAZ73 Dennis Waszak Jr.
Rex says if Milliner can play in a limited role, #Jets would want to play him in a limited role vs. Packers

Ever since Milliner got injured i had hoped the JETS would be patient and let him recover completely before he got on the field. Looks like that's not happening. Hope Rex knows what he is doing. This could have entire season impacting possibilities,

Rex says if Milliner can play in a limited role, #Jets would want to play him in a limited role vs. Packers

Ever since Milliner got injured i had hoped the JETS would be patient and let him recover completely before he got on the field. Looks like that's not happening. Hope Rex knows what he is doing. This could have entire season impacting possibilities,

Better to have him ready for Chicago-he has hardly practiced at all the entire training camp up to now.

"limited role" that's an interesting proposition.  Let the speculation begin as to what that means. 

Better to have him ready for Chicago-he has hardly practiced at all the entire training camp up to now.

This

Even if he is 100% (doubt it)  he hasn't practiced in a full month.  I remember how bad he was, and unprepared, for most of last season.  Let him get up to speed, and recovered 100%.

Archived