Mike Maccagnan tells Jets Eric Allen we will be active in Free Agency

SouthernJet

The point is, it was wasted money little mickey.

It was a cheap one year stop gap deal.

I get your premise but Patterson's deal is a bad example. In fact, if there was one thing Idzik did well it was not spend or waste money. He didnt overpay for anyone, for better or worse

Eric just mentioned on Jets Live (live now) that he talked to Mike before Presser and Mike told him Jets will be VERY active in Free Agency.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/schedule/event/Jets-Talk-LIVE-201501211200/54a95e24-5ce1-41ea-aa26-dfcd4d8f66b1

In other breaking news, water remains wet.

Of course we'll be "very active", we have 40+ million in Cap Space and massive holes at CB, LB, QB, Safety, WR, etc, etc, etc.

In other breaking news, water remains wet.

Of course we'll be "very active", we have 40+ million in Cap Space and massive holes at CB, LB, QB, Safety, WR, etc, etc, etc.

I assume he meant we wont lowball like last year, but take it any way you nicely want LOL

Like what the Raiders did last year, overpaying guys who are over 30 years old to big money deals, that's wasting money. You can sign guys who are under 30 and productive players to bigger multi year deals, like Decker last year. You can sign an aging vet as a stop gap, just sign him on a one year deal.

Those old veterans while not producing , did pay big dividends for the Raiders, as they took a lot of the young guys under their belt. ( why Raiders draft class developed so fast) all those veterans signed were basically one year deals , that Raiders can get out with NO CAP HIT. the L Woodley 5.3 , Matt Schaub 5 million , Antonio Smith 4 million, tuck( 5 million- only one who might stay), Mjd- 3.5 .

Every team has to spend 90% of their cap in a four year period. or everyone on your roster gets a raise till you hit the 90 percent spending limit. ( that's wasting money) . The problem started when the Raiders basically in 2013 gutted the team( over 55 million in dead cap space) . that is a whole lot of catching up when you couldn't spend anything in 2013.

so Raiders were under the gun to sign players to big money( catch up) , and thanks to the cap going up, a lot more teams were able to keep their big name free agents. so you can't throw big money at young players who aren't worth that money. So they elected to throw it at Veterans basically on one year deal.

So they accomplished two goals spend money to get closer to 90% level, and weren't locked into any of these plAyers long term.

This Fa Class is so much better than 2014 class. The Raiders should have 70 million to play with in Fa this year.

Those old veterans while not producing , did pay big dividends for the Raiders, as they took a lot of the young guys under their belt. ( why Raiders draft class developed so fast) all those veterans signed were basically one year deals , that Raiders can get out with NO CAP HIT. the L Woodley 5.3 , Matt Schaub 5 million , Antonio Smith 4 million, tuck( 5 million- only one would might stay), Mjd- 3.5 .

Every team has to spend 90% of their cap in a four year period. or everyone on your roster gets a raise till you hit the 90 percent spending limit. ( that's wasting money) . The problem started when the Raiders basically in 2013 gutted the team( over 55 million in dead cap space) . that is a whole lot of catching up when you couldn't spend anything in 2013.

so Raiders were under the gun to sign players to big money( catch up) , and thanks to the cap going up, a lot more teams were able to keep their big name free agents. so you can't throw big money at young players who aren't worth that money. So they elected to throw it at Veterans basically on one year deal.

So they accomplished two goals spend money to get closer to 90% level, and weren't locked into any of these plAyers long term.

this Fa Class is so much better than 2014 class. Tye Raiders should have 70 million to play with in Fa this year.

You just must be Raider90210! 

Going to go on record right now that Cromartie returns to the Jets next season.

That is very risky as Cromartie starting to get up there in age, and his technique never been his strength( gets by more on his athletic ability). Cromartie had great year last year, and that could blow up big time in Jet's faces. Jets should precede very carefully because Cromartie has never put two great years back to back. you should hope Rex takes the Cromartie bait.

I think they sign Fitz from texans IF texans allow him to leave

has history w/Mike and Chan and knows Chans system

make a run at spiller also and dump CJ

I just do not like Fitz.  I realize he had some numbers with Chan, but whenever I saw him over center for the bad guys I felt we were going to win---even when Sanchez was our guy,  And I always felt the win would have something to do with Fitz.  He had a talent for the timely INT.  Now, I realize when you bad mouth guys you should have a replacement in mind.  Matt Moore?  Is he free?  We do not have a lot of draft picks for trade.

That is very risky as Cromartie starting to get up there in age, and his technique never been his strength( gets by more on his athletic ability). Cromartie had great year last year, and that could blow up big time in Jet's faces. Jets should precede very carefully because Cromartie has never put two great years back to back. you should hope Rex takes the Cromartie bait.

Agreed. Bowles has to be very smart here and not feel he owes Cro. It's up to Mac to come up with a better alternative or two.

I'm not sure how you can't be active this year, doesn't mean you will sign all big money guys, but there are holes at LBer, Safety, Guard and RB that need to filled with viable options.

Pretty much this.

Also, aren't we REQUIRED by NFL rules to be very active in FA this year after basically doing nothing last year? Either way, we're about to spend some serious cash this offseason. Let's hope they make it count. #HaveFaith

Maccagnan did say "you build through the draft" in his presser today.

I can't believe it, if he indeed stated that then; he is probably as inept as our former GM.  You freaking build your team from whomever gives your team the best chance, damn it.  I'm sick and tired of this BS that you build through the draft.  Our last GM over the last two years other than Decker did not even bother to go after a single quality player to improve the team.  His rationale was that he was going to put together an all-star team through the drafts.  He was so dumb he could not even find a single WR to contribute, in the richest WR class in nfl history. 

I can't believe it, if he indeed stated that then; he is probably as inept as our former GM.  You freaking build your team from whomever gives your team the best chance, damn it.  I'm sick and tired of this BS that you build through the draft.  Our last GM over the last two years other than Decker did not even bother to go after a single quality player to improve the team.  His rationale was that he was going to put together an all-star team through the drafts.  He was so dumb he could not even find a single WR to contribute, in the richest WR class in nfl history. 

Calm down, that's not what he meant. He said "I do believe philosophically you have to build through the draft for long term success..." and that is absolutely 110% correct. You don't build your team through free agency, those guys usually don't last longer than a couple of years on your team. The core of your team has to be built around those draft picks. QB, LT, CB, DE. Guys like Mangold, Brick, Revis (ugh). You don't build your team by picking up a 30 year old Cromartie or an average guys like Breno to play for you a couple of years. And he also said: "We do have a lot of cap space, so that is a very positive aspect going into free agency. I don’t want to get to far ahead, Todd and I, this is going to be a decision we work on together.  Obviously, we will look at all avenues to acquire players. The pro free agency is a very important part of that."

So like I said, calm down. The guy is not a moron. He knows what happened here last year with sh*tzik, he's not gonna let the money sit there and get fired next year. Makes no sense. Every GM wants to spend money, why wouldn't they? And we are also required to spend that cash according to league rules, so let's move on from this. We're not gonna have another sh*tzik type free agency.

Calm down, that's not what he meant. He said "I do believe philosophically you have to build through the draft for long term success..." and that is absolutely 110% correct. You don't build your team through free agency, those guys usually don't last longer than a couple of years on your team. The core of your team has to be built around those draft picks. QB, LT, CB, DE. Guys like Mangold, Brick, Revis (ugh). You don't build your team by picking up a 30 year old Cromartie or an average guys like Breno to play for you a couple of years. And he also said: "We do have a lot of cap space, so that is a very positive aspect going into free agency. I don’t want to get to far ahead, Todd and I, this is going to be a decision we work on together.  Obviously, we will look at all avenues to acquire players. The pro free agency is a very important part of that."

So like I said, calm down. The guy is not a moron. He knows what happened here last year with sh*tzik, he's not gonna let the money sit there and get fired next year. Makes no sense. Every GM wants to spend money, why wouldn't they? And we are also required to spend that cash according to league rules, so let's move on from this. We're not gonna have another sh*tzik type free agency.

+1000

Mac is smart.  He hedged his bets.  If he had said he was going to pursue a top free agent and then failed to sign one, he would have looked like some goober newbie.  I think they will try for at least one high end FA.  Hopefully a guard with some cred.  And maybe a better than average corner.  And, of course, that turnover-averse QB.  Who unfortunately will not be a star.

Archived