Jets to pass on Mariota if available and will trade down with Eagles--Source (Dyer)

T0mShane

Assuming there are teams that actually want him that badly.

Bears, Rams, Browns would be the three most obvious. Texans and Chiefs would also be in play I guess. The reality of a March 3 draft story coming to fruition is as less likely as the Eagles being the only team enamored with Mariota.  

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This most likely means another team who wants him will trade up at 3, 4 or 5.

Yup. If any teams see Mariota as the cure to their QB woes, they're not going to wait for the team currently trotting out Geno Smith as their starting to be on the clock to make a move.

This speculation is silliness.

Bears, Rams, Browns would be the three most obvious. Texans and Chiefs would also be in play I guess. The reality of a March 3 draft story coming to fruition is as less likely as the Eagles being the only team enamored with Mariota.

There's a big difference between a team liking Mariota and a team liking Mariota enough to trade multiple firsts for him.

Alternate View: Jets want Mariota, but do not want to trade for him. They leak that they have no interest in said quarterback and would trade him if available, dissuading Philly and other teams from trading ahead of the 6th overall pick.  Orrr, they really just don't want him. Between January and April, it's pretty difficult to believe/take anything at face-value.

I think there is a better chance of this being the case than another spin to Mehta's story which is just worded differently. Why would either team leak their intentions pre draft, this is all speculation or like you said its all smoke and mirrors.

Whether you like it or not he'll probably be the top QB prospect on a lot of teams boards at the time. 

there's a difference between being the top QB prospect on your board and willing to trade multiple firsts for him

Whether you like it or not he'll probably be the top QB prospect on a lot of teams boards at the time.

Because a lot of teams are thirsting for a quarterback prospect that needs to learn how to play quarterback and will be crazy expensive.

Because a lot of teams are thirsting for a quarterback prospect that needs to learn how to play quarterback and will be crazy expensive.

Bears 7, Rams 10, Browns 12....to 3, 4 or 5 is that much crazier than Eagles 20 to 6? 

Unfortunately the only recent historical data we have is the most asinine trade in NFL history (RGIII/Skins+Rams deal). 

However:

Cowboys 14 and and 45 for Rams 6.

Jags 7 and 101 for Bucs 5...

My point here is that it obviously depends on what you consider "crazy expensive."

I'm also not saying any of this is going to happen but it's just as likely as 1) Mariota being there at six and 2) The trade actually coming to fruition.

1 yr wonder at 4 is not happening , more likely at 6

no i agree that its definitely possible they take white over cooper at 4. but i would be shocked if they traded down and missed out on both white and cooper. if they take white and mariota is already gone we'd better take cooper or i'm gonna break sh*t

for that tenn will trade down. Foles will be great insurance if Metz does not pan out.

yeah idk if that will quite do it for them to get from 20 to 2. its close. they'd probably have to give: foles, 1st(2015), 1st(2016), 2nd(2015), 2nd(20160, 3rd(2015).

idk if its worht it for them to trade away that much. it basically means they think mariota is going to be a sure-fire 15 year franchise qb

in comparison, to get to us they'd only have to give foles, 1st(2015), 2nd(2015)

to get to 2 they'd have to basically give away th ebest part of 2 drafts plus their quarterback. that would be pretty stupid imo.

As it pertains to the Bears and their No. 7 overall pick, ESPN NFL reporter Sal Paolantonio shared an interesting nugget during an interview on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia.

The Bears have their eye on Oregonicon1.png quarterback Marcus Mariota, according to … wait for it … Mariota’s agency, Rep1 Sports, which is run by cousins Bruce and Ryan Tollner.

“First and foremost, Tampa Bay is one,” Paolantonio said in the radio interview when asked what teams are interested in Mariota. “Tennessee is two. New York Jets is three (at No. 6 overall). This is according to Tollner, and they’ve obviously studied this because they got Mariota and they had to make this presentation to the young man before they got to be his agent. St. Louis, obviously. Then he dropped three teams on me in a row, one of which was not surprising — Philadelphia. And then Houston and then Chicago. I said, ‘Chicago, really? They have (Jay) Cutler.’ He said, ‘Absolutely Chicago. I’ve heard from Chicago quite a bit. They’re very interested in Mariota

Of course everyone is interested.  Drive the value of this player as high as you can.

Sorry ... Why would he be expensive ... You have heard of the rookie salary cap right ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How can you be so sure it will be a horrible error..? Didn't half of us say the same with Richardson? So if the jets come away with anyone other then mariota its horrible? Picking mariota could be horrible. Point is.. Its ignorant to say that in early march.

I believe it would be horrible because the Jets are in no position to pass on a prospect at the QB position who is a great kid and will do everything he can to reach his ceiling... whatever that may be.

If he doesnt pan out... so be it. Mark didnt work. But until you have a legit QB, keep trying. Quality QBs open 10 year championship windows. Without one,the window appears for a year or two every two or three decades.

Play the odds. Find a Flacco caliber QB and the Jets are in business for a while. Without one, no matter how many other good players they have, they continue to wallow in mediocrity with an occasional good year but no championship.

I believe it would be horrible because the Jets are in no position to pass on a prospect at the QB position who is a great kid and will do everything he can to reach his ceiling... whatever that may be.

If he doesnt pan out... so be it. Mark didnt work. But until you have a legit QB, keep trying. Quality QBs open 10 year championship windows. Without one,the window appears for a year or two every two or three decades.

Play the odds. Find a Flacco caliber QB and the Jets are in business for a while. Without one, they wallow in mediocrity forever.

Agree

Jets should have manuevered to take Bridgewater last year.

Geno was a 2nd round pick. No biggie.

Archived