Jets to pass on Mariota if available and will trade down with Eagles--Source (Dyer)

T0mShane

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't buy it.  Why would the Jets make this public in any way shape or form.  It completely destroys any negotiation power they may have.

It may very well be the truth but this is simply speculation...

The fact that the source said "100 percent certainty" is laughable.  We're almost two months away from the draft.  Nobody is 100% certain of anything right now, not even the teams themselves.

http://www.metro.us/sports/source-if-marcus-mariota-is-at-no-6-eagles-will-make-trade-with-jets/zsJocd---mCQODxZ1xjBVA/

If Marcus Mariota is available at No. 6 in next month's NFL Draft, he likely will be taken. But a league source said the Jets, in desperate need for a quarterback, won't be selecting the former Oregon QB there and that the Eagles and Jets would make a trade if the scenario plays out.

Speaking on the condition of anonymity, a highly-placed league source termed a potential marriage between Mariota, the Heisman and Maxwell Award winner after a stunning 2014 season, and the Jets as “highly unlikely.” The source said that the Jets aren't in the mood to pick Mariota with their sixth pick and that if the Oregon quarterback is available, the “Jets will be shipping that pick away.”

The likely landing spot?

“Philadelphia would make that move and pay that price. We're talking multiple picks and a player,” the source said. “The Jets would be open to moving the pick and the Eagles have internally prepared to move up in the draft. There are contingencies in place and they know that Marcus is that perfect fit.”

Of course, Mariota played under now Eagles head coach Chip Kelly before Kelly left for the NFL in 2013. Given his obvious familiarity with the Eagles' offense, Mariota would walk into Philadelphia as the likely starting quarterback of the Eagles come Week 1.

The source said with “100 percent certainty” that if Mariota is available at No. 6 it will be the Eagles, and not the Jets, who will be picking at that spot.

“The Eagles covet Marcus and rightly so. He's a great fit for their offense,” the source said. “This could be a case where the Jets could cash in and would be willing to do so. Not quite Ricky Williams level but we're talking multiple picks and perhaps a player.”

The Williams trade refers to the 1999 NFL Draft deal where the New Orleans Saints sent eight draft picks to the Washington Redskins so they could move up seven slots to the No. 5 selection to select Williams, who won the Heisman the year before as a running back at Texas. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't say that I feel comfortable trading away a potential franchise QB when we do not have one on the roster, however this would have to be one helluva package for the Eagles to move up from 20 to 6...We could still draft a very good player at 20 in this draft and fill the cupboard for the remainder of the rebuild.

That makes the most sense; if it happens that way I only hope one of the premium receivers, edge rushers or corners are still available.  Either way we should still come away with a quality player at 20 and can really add to the talent level.  Assuming we feel a number of needs in FA, we can focus on a flexible BPA approach.  Now we just need the other teams in front of us to cooperate!

We would get a much better guy at 6.  We need a guy like that.  I wonder if the Rams want to move up.  I do not think they are joined at the hip with Bradford.

Alternate View: Jets want Mariota, but do not want to trade for him. They leak that they have no interest in said quarterback and would trade him if available, dissuading Philly and other teams from trading ahead of the 6th overall pick.  Orrr, they really just don't want him. Between January and April, it's pretty difficult to believe/take anything at face-value. 

Scary proposition though...A team without a QB trading away a potential franchise guy certainly has a lot of risk attached to it. For all the heat Washington has taken for the ridiculous RGIII trade, and we almost certainly would not be getting a package like that, it isn't as though St. Louis has set the world on fire. They didn't have a franchise QB in place when they made the trade, and they still don't have one. We can look cool and collect as many assets as we want, but the bottom line is that until you have the right guy at the QB position nothing else matters. I am not saying Mariota is definitely the guy, but I am also not saying he isn't. We may live to regret trading away this pick if the situation plays out as Dyer's hypothetical predicts.

I don't buy it.  Why would the Jets make this public in any way shape or form.  It completely destroys any negotiation power they may have.

It may very well be the truth but this is simply speculation...

Obviously, the Jets want to make it well known that they don't want Mariotta (whether it's true or not).  If the Eagles think we want him, they could trade ahead of us.  And by announcing our pick is for sale, maybe we'll get other offers.

And as others have said - maybe we *do* want him, and intend to screw Philly at the last moment.

Obviously, the Jets want to make it well known that they don't want Mariotta (whether it's true or not).  If the Eagles think we want him, they could trade ahead of us.  And by announcing our pick is for sale, maybe we'll get other offers.

And as others have said - maybe we *do* want him, and intend to screw Philly at the last moment.

To continue along this line of thinking, if we truly do not want Mariota we may be interested in a package from another team; obviously one that would not require us waiting until 20 to select...For example, there is talk that despite drafting Manziel just last season, the Browns love Mariota. I can see us looking at the draft board and wanting Trae Waynes, just not at 6...

Some risk of trading Mariota, but it's pretty easy to spin it that the Jets weren't comfortable they'd know how to use Mariota like Kelly did/wouldn't have actually done that and he was a "system" guy who wouldn't have had the same success here. Any other team and you can't really spin like that though.

So much Mariota to the Eagles talk makes me think this is a big smokescreen. Or Kelly just doesn't give a damn.

I think all it's saying is that the Jets and Eagles will have arranged the framework of a deal in the event that Mariota is there at 6. The Eagles will know the cost, while the Jets will be able to weight the return against actually drafting Mariota themselves.

My gut still says a team jumps us for Mariota.

Yours and mine both. There are just too many possibilities for this to get all the way to us. Even the assumption that the Skins won't be a trade partner with the Eagles. They worked out a deal for Mcnabb not too long ago don't forget.

The Titans are taking Mariota anyway imo and if not Cleveland or St.Louis will jump us. Jacksonville would sure love a nice haul too. The idea that they are stuck on the DT is silly. Throw in the crazy Raiders and its downright mayhem up in front of us.

Yours and mine both. There are just too many possibilities for this to get all the way to us. Even the assumption that the Skins won't be a trade partner with the Eagles. They worked out a deal for Mcnabb not too long ago don't forget.

The Titans are taking Mariota anyway imo and if not Cleveland or St.Louis will jump us. Jacksonville would sure love a nice haul too. The idea that they are stuck on the DT is silly. Throw in the crazy Raiders and its downright mayhem up in front of us.

For some reason I think it'll be St. Louis who jumps ahead of us ala Tavon Austin.

You forgot the most important part.... We are the JETS and we will Fukk it up.

Archived