The Most Underrated Receiver in this Draft Should be Available at 37

JetBlue

Can we please stop comparing every freaking body to Hill? Coates is a much better receiver then Hill. Not saying Coates should be the pick but can we evaluate a player on their own merits first for change?

I am not comparing them as players.  I am comparing the thought that you can coach everything.  Most of these guys have been playing football for more than 10 years at this point, if they are not progressing at certain things you are not necessarily going to be able to coach it out of them.  Just like for every Tiki Barber with fumbling you can get under control there are another 20 guys that just keep spitting the ball up.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cooper is the man. I was high on white for awhile... But Cooper is definitely the choice.

I want an OLB but I would be very happy with Cooper. I think the Raiders will take him over White because he is a more polished runner and Carr is still learning the game. I'm not saying White can't run routes but Cooper just seems like he is NFL ready right now.

I want an OLB but I would be very happy with Cooper. I think the Raiders will take him over White because he is a more polished runner and Carr is still learning the game. I'm not saying White can't run routes but Cooper just seems like he is NFL ready right now.

I feel the same. Vic Beasly or Folwer would be nice but if Cooper is there ya can't pass on him. Brandon Marshall will not be productive forever. I am hoping Oakland takes White because of his speed and athleticism because we all know how the Raiders are with Wide outs.

If you're willing to deal with a Stephen Hill type height / weight / speed prospect with suspect hands

and a limited route tree Coates is your man. There's no in between with him he's either going

to develop and be a stud or totally bust

There not the same kind of player Coats is not even that tall he is 6'1. Hill is a long strider , Coats more quick twitch

You make solid points and I can't really disagree you. I will be interested to see where he is drafted and what kind of career he has. If he slips to the third I hope we grab him.

I think he slips to the 3rd but I still feel he wouldn't be a good fit with Decker & Marshall.  We need a fast, polished route running burner. There are numerous other wr's that will be available in round 3 like Smith, Dorsett, Perriman, Beckham, and my choice Tre McBride.

I feel the same. Vic Beasly or Folwer would be nice but if Cooper is there ya can't pass on him. Brandon Marshall will not be productive forever. I am hoping Oakland takes White because of his speed and athleticism because we all know how the Raiders are with Wide outs.

This draft is loaded with receivers; I have no problem with taking Cooper or White but if we wait for the later rounds to take a Coates, Conley or even McBride, I would be okay with that too.  Remember as good as Cooper is, he is not playing in front of Marshall or Decker.  If anything he will take time from Kerley... which I guess would not be a bad thing, lol. 

?

Are we really back to needing a polished, route running possession burner?  Again?  In the third round, no less?

lol, that is exactly the point.  Odds are most receivers available after the first round are going to have some flaws; whether in route running, speed, hands, athletic ability etc.  

I think he slips to the 3rd but I still feel he wouldn't be a good fit with Decker & Marshall.  We need a fast, polished route running burner. There are numerous other wr's that will be available in round 3 like Smith, Dorsett, Perriman, Beckham, and my choice Tre McBride.

I would be okay with that actually. 

?

Are we really back to needing a polished, route running possession burner?  Again?  In the third round, no less?

yes because I bet you could beat Marshall and Decker in a race.  Both are accomplished wr's - no doubt. But neither can stretch the field.

Whoa, if Beckham is around in round 3, no offense, but **** Tre McBride, lol. 

lol, that is exactly the point.  Odds are most receivers available after the first round are going to have some flaws; whether in route running, speed, hands, athletic ability etc.  

You guys are new here.  This was a joke from last year.  I don't even remember who I am making fun of, but we were told that we needed a "possession burner."  I don't think that is a thing. 

yes because I bet you could beat Marshall and Decker in a race.  Both are accomplished wr's - no doubt. But neither can stretch the field.

Likewise, Powpow I know you are new here, but I am, in fact, a rocket.

You guys are new here.  This was a joke from last year.  I don't even remember who I am making fun of, but we were told that we needed a "possession burner."  I don't think that is a thing. 

Okay gotcha. 

Sign this beast now!

Possession burner.  Definitely an oxymoron, or just a plain moronic statement. My apologies for bringing up past burnt out threads.  Has there ever been a 'possession burner' ever?  Perhaps Bambi...Lance Alworth.      

His physique is ridiculous, absolutely crazy. Not sure I've ever seen such a freak WR. He looks a lot like Vernon Davis did when he came out. From what I've heard/read he's dropping easy passes at times, that's a big red flag. I'd take a chance on him in round 2.

His physique is ridiculous, absolutely crazy. Not sure I've ever seen such a freak WR. He looks a lot like Vernon Davis did when he came out. From what I've heard/read he's dropping easy passes at times, that's a big red flag. I'd take a chance on him in round 2.

I agree with you this guy is a serious freak and very powerfully built for a "deep threat".  He has dropped some passes but you can read where he has really worked on that along with his route running.  He was very impressive at the senior bowl and then ran a less than impressive 4.44 at the combines (everyone was expecting 4.3s).  I don't take much stock into that 40 time as he has run 4.35 at Auburn and could just had a bad day.   More importantly his "game speed" lights out.    

I mentioned at the very beginning of this thread that Coates would be a work in progress but when you consider we already have Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, no receiver we take is going to take playing time away from them so to me it makes sense to take a developmental player with huge upside but who can still contribute right away because you can't teach "speed".  He is also a very good runner with the ball in his hands and can be used on sweeps, and reverses.   I think Chan would love to get his hands on a guy like this. 

This is a very good scouting report on Sammie Coates.

http://withthefirstpick.com/2015/01/23/sammie-coates-scouting-report/

Sammie Coates Scouting Report

Sammie Coates, receiver for the Auburn Tigers, has been universally reported as ripping Senior Bowl Week up. His draft projections have been teetering between the first two rounds throughout this past football season. But with all the buzz he’s creating in the Senior Bowl practices, the scouting world is calling him a 1st-round pick now.

Going to Senior Bowl Week, Coats was known for the most part as just a deep threat by the scouting world. So he went to Senior Bowl Week with the mission of proving otherwise. And so far, so good as things like that are what Senior Bowl Week is for.

The Book on Coates

Coates is generally known as a deep threat because he’s so doggone good at catching the deep ball. The scouting world sees the obvious and that’s the fact that he’s a deep threat in every way there is to be one. They love that he can do it by way of bully-ball as he is 6’2″, 213 pounds to push off or body up.

Then you have the fact that he’s recorded a sub-4.3 40-yard dash and a 44-inch vertical leap at Auburn. That’s about as freakish as it gets and the scouting world loves his ability to track down the deep ball. They also like that he is a willing and physical blocker in the running game, springing running backs and fellow receivers for big gains.

Their main criticism of him is his hands as he has dropped his share of catchable football this year. They question his route-running, saying that all he does is go-routes, and quick-outs. Then they don’t like that he doesn’t sell his routes when the ball is designed to go to another receiver.

What I See

Coates plays with incredible speed and will go up and get one so those two measurables definitely show up on the field. Then of course, there’s the strength to body up or simply illegally but not always called push off on a little defensive back. Coates also does a good job of tracking down the deep ball and adjusting to it when needed.

You have to bring in some numbers here because they substantiate his measurables and what makes him a deep threat. In 2013, Coates caught seven touchdown passes and averaged 54.1 yards per touchdown catch. In 2014, Coates caught four touchdowns passes and averaged 53 yards per touchdown so deep threat is what he is.

From what I’ve seen of his Senior Bowl Week, he’s showing abilities that disprove the scouting world’s criticisms of him. NFL Networks draft analyst Danielle Jeremiah said a couple of days ago about Coates, “Today, he did a nice job. We saw him on slants, we saw him on a lot of underneath stuff, really using his hands, really extending and plucking the football. He’s been impressive.”

Bottom Line

Coates has the same “wow factor” the scouts said Sammy Watkins had coming out back in 2014. This Senior Bowl Week, he has shaken corners trying to cover him and in short to intermediate routes, showing he’s more than a deep threat. But Watkins was known to have great hands and Coates has yet to prove that.

At this point, he seems to have worked his way into the bottom of the first round with a good Senior Bowl Week. The ability to work on perceived weaknesses then come in and show that they aren’t there is a high mark in itself. That will make personnel people in the NFL trust that the prospect will tap into all the upside he has.

Now, all Coates has to do is consistently catch the ball in the Senior Bowl and in drills all the way to May. Then the scouting world will be talking about how early in the first round Coates can go. Showing what a physical specimen he is at the Senior Bowl weigh-in seems to have helped him too.

CBS Sports’ Dane Brugler said of Coates, “Listed at 6’2″ 201 pounds at Auburn, he measured 6’1″ (3/8″) and 213 pounds on the Senior Bowl stage, showing off his cut, muscular physique. Coates was 12 pounds heavier than his listed weight at Auburn, but it appeared to be all muscle on his lean, defined frame.

But either way, with some work, he’ll be fine as a pro.

Raiders might bypass the Wr in the first , for a pass rusher. They want to have someone coming off the other corner with Khalil Mack.( that is very distinct possibility.( Delrio a defensive coach, and Mckenize with the Packers never drafted a Wr in the first.

If Raiders draft a Wr it will probably be Amari Cooper whose a different type of Wr than the receivers they have. Kevin White is very similar size speed Wr to Brice Butler. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=113644&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

Versus http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82134&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR( just talking about size and speed comparison)

LOL  Brice Butler is the new Chaz?

I love Brice Butler game, and Seth Roberts( he was the best Raider Wr ( catches everything)in camp last year just had to get stronger). If a raider Wr surprises next year it will be one of those two Wr's. Those two Wr's are my new binkies. Andre Holmes and Kenbrell Thompkins are both garbage, and should have been cut yesterday.

The point is don't be surprised if Raiders wait till the second to draft a Wr, and take a pass rusher in first. It's much harder to find a pass rusher , than a Wr.

Raiders might bypass the Wr in the first , for a pass rusher. They want to have someone coming off the other corner with Khalil Mack.( that is very distinct possibility.( Delrio a defensive coach, and Mckenize with the Packers never drafted a Wr in the first.

If Raiders draft a Wr it will probably be Amari Cooper whose a different type of Wr than the receivers they have. Kevin White is very similar size speed Wr to Brice Butler. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=113644&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

Versus http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82134&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR( just talking about size and speed comparison)

Well, I guess it is safe to bet that Oakland will not be drafting Amari Cooper.

One of the keys to a spread offense is catching the football, a skill Sammie has had trouble with. Probably higher than most on him over the the last couple of seasons, but there's a reason he's not a first round pick with those measurables and his career.

Isn't that a key to any offense though? Yea, uh-hum.

Isn't that a key to just football in general?

I've had just about enough of your sass mouth.

Isn't that a key to any offense though? Yea, uh-hum.

You've got to get up pretty early in the morning if you're going to beat this board to snarktown. I expect more from you. 

I wouldn't think twice in round 3, I think there will be a better pick for us in round 2. I would put money that either Green-Beckham or Gurley fall to the second round.

Put your money where you're mouth is!!  (re. Beckham) If Beckham makes it to 37 I will wear my boner pants to work!

Put your money where you're mouth is!!  (re. Beckham) If Beckham makes it to 37 I will wear my boner pants to work!

Dude.... you sell Publisher's Clearing House Subscriptions from Home!!!

This bet is going to have to really cost you something. You wear your Boner Pants 24/7!

They've begun to bond to your flesh!! LOL!

Dude.... you sell Publisher's Clearing House Subscriptions from Home!!!

This bet is going to have to really cost you something. You where your Boner Pants 24/7!

They've begun to bond to your flesh!! LOL!

LOL you silly.

Archived