Rex Ryan throws the Jets under the bus with bomshell SI article.

Jetsbb

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/14/rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-new-york-jets/

Relevant Quotes

Despite having put on a good face, Ryan says he felt like a “leftover” under the new GM, half of an arranged marriage “who could be replaced at any time.”

“I wasn’t the boss anymore,” Ryan says. “I was just a guy. Whether they want to say it or not, all of a sudden I became less important to the team.”

A meeting at Jets headquarters in April 2013 troubled Ryan. The league office encouraged teams to hold organization-wide branding exercises, and the Jets’ new senior vice president of marketing and fan engagement built theirs around three words: bold, electrifying, united. One of the slides during the presentation parsed the differences between brash—an adjective regularly attached to the head coach—and bold. Ryan, who was sitting in the room, says he felt singled out.

They were trying to pull away from me,” he says. “Like it was my fault, somehow, that people identified the Jets with me, and that was a bad thing and not a good thing. I was just being who I was. From that point on I knew I wasn’t going to be long for that job.” (A Jets spokesman told SI: “It’s surprising and disappointing that Rex feels that way. There was no effort by the organization to move away from him in any way.”

“Everybody knew then we weren’t going to make it [as a staff],” says Dennis Thurman, Ryan’s defensive coordinator in New York and now in Buffalo. “We could have gone and packed our houses, apartments, whatever, and moved, because we knew we were done. We tried to put a good face on, and we coached our butts off. But they didn’t want us. We weren’t their guys. We played out the string, and it was frustrating. And I think the players felt our frustration. Because toward the end I think they knew too.”

Going into the 2014 season, the Jets had deficiencies at critical positions, including cornerback and receiver, but Ryan believed those holes could be mended to make the team competitive. The agent for All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis called the Jets about his returning to the team, but the Jets weren’t interested in their onetime star. (A year later they brought him back on a $70 million contract.) Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie visited with the Jets but left without a deal and signed with the Giants. According to multiple members of Ryan’s Jets staff, frustrations ran high when the team didn’t pursue free-agent wideout DeSean Jackson and when pleas to select Clemson receiver Martavis Bryant on the third day of the draft were ignored. (The Jets drafted two receivers in the fourth round before the Steelers took Bryant, who had eight TDs as a rookie: Oklahoma’s Jalen Saunders, who was cut in September, and UCLA’s Shaq Evans, who spent 2014 on injured reserve.)

Even before the season began, Ryan was worried about the Jets’ ability to compete. Last summer he bought a house in the Nashville suburbs. “When the draft and free agency didn’t go the way I would have liked it to, I was concerned,” Ryan says. “That’s why I bought a house in Tennessee. I didn’t know what the hell was going to happen, but I knew I would need someplace to live. That I was probably going to get fired.”

A few weeks into the 2014 season, he became more than just concerned—he felt there was a master plan in place. He got a call from a friend who told him a high-ranking member of the Jets’ scouting department was on the road telling reps from other teams that they weren’t spending money because they were getting a new head coach in 2015.

The Jets stumbled to a 4–12 record, and Johnson fired Ryan on the Monday morning after the season finale. That same day Johnson cut ties with Idzik. (Now a Jaguars consultant, Idzik declined through a team spokesman to be interviewed for this story.)

On April 6, Jets tight end Jace Amaro reflected on his rookie season and told Sirius XM NFL Radio that Ryan’s 2014 team lacked accountability. To which Ryan says, “He’s full of s—, and I’ll remind him of that when we play him. Look, we weren’t perfect, and I never said we were going to be perfect. But that’s a f—— b.s. comment. But, hey, he’s happy that he’s got a different coach in place. We’ll see how happy he is when I play against him.”

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh! Remember when this was one of Mehta's anonymously-sourced quotes?

et fired.”

A few weeks into the 2014 season, he became more than just concerned—he felt there was a master plan in place. He got a call from a friend who told him a high-ranking member of the Jets’ scouting department was on the road telling reps from other teams that they weren’t spending money because they were getting a new head coach in 2015.

Hated some of what he said but agreed with Idzik sabotaged him last year.  We had the money to land both Revis and Jackson, there was no clear reason why neither was even offered a contract.

Jackson meh, but signing Revis this year after him wanting to come back last year was bizarre. Woody Johnson just sucks. 

This was the worst quote

"Even before the season began, Ryan was worried about the Jets’ ability to compete. Last summer he bought a house in the Nashville suburbs. “When the draft and free agency didn’t go the way I would have liked it to, I was concerned,” Ryan says. “That’s why I bought a house in Tennessee. I didn’t know what the hell was going to happen, but I knew I would need someplace to live. That I was probably going to get fired.”

He just said he didn't believe in the team before the season started so he bought a house in Tennese. This should highly disturb all Jets fans.

I don't see a problem here, he is just stating the obvious truth. Should have been fired the year before if they didn't want him.

If Rex felt that way so strongly that he bought a house in Tennessee, he should have had the guts to quit. But if Rex has shown one thing in his time as head coach of the Jets, it's that he has no guts, no spine, no balls, and all his bluster was just an apparatus he employed to try and mask that.

Obviously the writers at SI are going to ask what happened in NY and he gave his version as he sees it. Nothing wrong with that. If is true then blame the owner for keeping him longer the he should have.

Yes. Rex can say whatever he wants, who knows what's true and what's his side of the story. Woody is clearly the problem here. His consigliere Glatt sounds like a real winner too.

Obviously the writers at SI are going to ask what happened in NY and he gave his version as he sees it. Nothing wrong with that. If is true then blame the owner for keeping him longer the he should have.

Here's how a professional handles those questions:

"The past is the past and I'm looking forward to the future."

This was the worst quote

"Even before the season began, Ryan was worried about the Jets’ ability to compete. Last summer he bought a house in the Nashville suburbs. “When the draft and free agency didn’t go the way I would have liked it to, I was concerned,” Ryan says. “That’s why I bought a house in Tennessee. I didn’t know what the hell was going to happen, but I knew I would need someplace to live. That I was probably going to get fired.”

He just said he didn't believe in the team before the season started so he bought a house in Tennese. This should highly disturb all Jets fans.

You don't think coaches know how competitive their team will be? He knew his secondary sucked and so did the QB. He knew what we all knew but he didn't bash his players or ownership during the season. I've moved on from Rex but I don't think he needs bashing for this article IMO.

He's gone. In Bowles we trust.

You don't think coaches know how competitive their team will be? He knew his secondary sucked and so did the QB. He knew what we all knew but he didn't bash his players or ownership during the season. I've moved on from Rex but I don't think he needs bashing for this article IMO.

He's gone. In Bowles we trust.

Agree on this. Listen, Rex had to go- he was never going to get it done here as he didnt believe in details or holding guys accountable...but its not as if this story about buying a house in Tennessee surfaced during the season. The past two years were a waste of time and that is 10000% Woody's fault. And now he's overcompensating by trying to bring back the old gang.

Woody and Dolan are the kings of overcompensating, which is why these franchises suck.

Agree on this. Listen, Rex had to go- he was never going to get it done here as he didnt believe in details or holding guys accountable...but its not as if this story about buying a house in Tennessee surfaced during the season. The past two years were a waste of time and that is 10000% Woody's fault. And now he's overcompensating by trying to bring back the old gang.

*4 years.

I don't see a problem here, he is just stating the obvious truth. Should have been fired the year before if they didn't want him.

He didn't have to accept the contract extension. He could have forced their hand

Whatever he would have said or not said would have still sparked 10 plus pages of comments here on the boards. He insites riots on this board with his presence.

LOL...he got his truck painted and people melted down for three weeks.

Archived