Bowles raves about Leonard Williams

Jetsfan80

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/todd_bowles_raves_about_jets_rookie_leonard_willia.html

Todd Bowles raves about Jets rookie Leonard Williams

By Dom Cosentino

FLORHAM PARK — Todd Bowles has a reputation for being a no-nonsense head coach, and he isn't one to dole out praise gratuitously. But after just a few weeks, Bowles already seems to be quite impressed with Leonard Williams, the Jets' first-round draft pick.

"Right now, most of the things are mental," Bowles said. "He's in pretty good shape, which I like. He's more mature than the average rookie. He's grasping the system quickly and he's moving around well out of pads, but to really judge him, you have to see him in pads for the linemen."

More mature? How so?

"Just the way he carries himself," Bowles said. "He doesn't carry himself like a young 20-year-old. He's got years beyond his age and the way he comes in and walks into it, treating it professionally."

Bowles has frequently referred to the NFL's offseason program as "two-hand touch," since most physical contact is verboten. But he's also explained how and what he and the Jets' coaching staff can evaluate at this time of year. Much of it has to do with how players approach their craft.

Williams and the Jets' second-round pick, wideout Devin Smith, were the only rookies to get work with the first-teamers during Wednesday's organized team activity practice, which was open to the media. The Jets' incumbent D-ends, Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson, were not present Wednesday, but the OTAs are voluntary and they both have their reasons for their absences.

The Jets were already well-stocked at defensive end when they selected Williams at No. 6 overall, but that's because Williams was the top player available on their board. And more than a few draft analysts considered him the best player in the draft, at any position.

Bowles has said he will figure out a way to work Williams into the D-line rotation. But, for now, in late May, when it's still just "two-hand touch," Williams is already doing the sort of little things that stand out.

"Sometimes you'll get rookies that just run around and don't know where to go; this guy is always where he needs to be," Bowles said. "He's always on time. He's always in his playbook. He's asking more questions than the normal rookies usually ask at this point in time. So from that standpoint, I just say he has age beyond his years."

Even if it is a message to the two starting DE's they will gladly collect a check elsewhere. Perhaps even larger than it would be here. The Jets better stop playing around with their top tiered talent and sign them now. You better think that they converse with Revis frequently.

Even if it is a message to the two starting DE's they will gladly collect a check elsewhere. Perhaps even larger than it would be here. The Jets better stop playing around with their top tiered talent and sign them now. You better think that they converse with Revis frequently.

In 2017, in Sheldon's case.  I'm fairly confident we'll get the Wilkerson deal done this offseason.  Sheldon can wait until next offseason.

In 2017, in Sheldon's case.  I'm fairly confident we'll get the Wilkerson deal done this offseason.  Sheldon can wait until next offseason.

I don't think so. I think they're content to let him play for his $7M this year, and are prepared to tag him next year. Wilkerson getting a new Jets contract will depend a lot on the play of Richardson and Williams. And, really, the QBs. Wilkerson is potentially trade bait that can bring back a first round pick, plus. The kind of return they may need to help land a potential starting QB in next year's draft.

Know who else use to rave about players?

I thought about that.  But after reading the actual quotes by Bowles, there's very little "raving" going on.  And certainly no "Boy I tell ya's".  Unlike Rex pieces, where they wrote themselves, article writers are having to add emotion to the piece that isn't there, because Bowles shows very little. 

All he basically says is the kid is a smart 20-year old. 

I don't think so. I think they're content to let him play for his $7M this year, and are prepared to tag him next year. Wilkerson getting a new Jets contract will depend a lot on the play of Richardson and Williams. And, really, the QBs. Wilkerson is potentially trade bait that can bring back a first round pick, plus. The kind of return they may need to help land a potential starting QB in next year's draft.

The Tag is not the best solution. It holds a lot of money hostage, and confines you from making your team better in other areas.

The Tag is not the best solution. It holds a lot of money hostage, and confines you from making your team better in other areas.

I'm fully expecting the jets to trade Mo next offseason if Williams is legit... Especially if they need to gain leverage to move up in the 1st round to draft a qb

Easier to trade a player off the tag than off a newly minted contract extension, and I think they want to keep their options open.

I think they'll get an extension signed. Not necessarily affecting his $7mil this year. That may be the hold up. Who knows.

The chances of Leonard Williams being a STUD are pretty freaking high!

This guy has superstar written all over him. Gil Brandt LOVED this player, said his film was amazing for a 20 year old & the way he uses his hands, sheds blockers, moved down the line without giving an inch to the Olineman & then making the tackle is a thing of beauty.

Like others have already said, let's let it play out and Mo might become a bargaining chip for a QB in the near future, or if Petty emerges we could trade him for a high draft pick for a stud left tackle.

Triple whammy for Wilkerson, he wasn't GREAT last year, Sheldon will be on his rookie contract until 2017 & this Willams kid might be the NY Jets Richard Seymour.

I thought about that.  But after reading the actual quotes by Bowles, there's very little "raving" going on.  And certainly no "Boy I tell ya's".  Unlike Rex pieces, where they wrote themselves, article writers are having to add emotion to the piece that isn't there, because Bowles shows very little. 

Was there any "And stuff like that" ?

Nice to read, but I'm sure it's primarily a not-so-subtle message to Wilkerson and Richardson.

He actually said all those things at the press conference yesterday when asked about Williams. I didn't get the feeling he was sending any messages but hey I could be wrong... 

Exactly. 

...which seems like an oxymoron

wonder if Sheldon a little butt hurt from the draft pick...if Williams comes in and gets DROY then Sheldon is no longer to top dog.

Never was in my opinion. Guys a very good player no doubt, but I always thought Mo was better in every way. Mo's the top dog on our line.

Archived