GM off-season rankings: Mac is 3rd out of 32

Dcat

Yes, it's from the crappy Bleacher Report, but what the hell.... it's the off season.  

BR ranks the 32 GMs and puts Mac 3rd, behind Doug Whaley, Buffalo (#2) and Ted Thompson, Green Bay( #1).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2489249-power-ranking-nfl-general-managers-by-2015-offseason-performance/page/31

some notables:

Ozzie Newsome (who I believe to be the best GM in the league) #5

Denis Hickey (Miami) #8

Rick Spielman (Vikes) #11

Chip Kelly #14

Ryan Pace (Chicago) #16

Bill Cheaterchick #19

Jerry Jones #22

John Elway #23

Reggie McKenzie (Raiduhs) #25

Jerry Reese (NYG) #29  (LMFAO!!!)

Dave Caldwell (Jax) #30 (I remember when people on JI really wanted Caldwell...  LOL)

Jason Licht (Tampa Bay) #32

I know the rankings are worthless, but in what world would Whaley (BUF) be rated #2???  If Marrone

stayed in BUF he was going to be fired, what has he done that's so incredible???

I know the rankings are worthless, but in what world would Whaley (BUF) be rated #2???  If Marrone

stayed in BUF he was going to be fired, what has he done that's so incredible???

Maybe Bleacher Report has been reading posts from our very own Jeannie? 

I thought the mcCoy deal was pretty darned good for Buffalo.  I also liked their  draft (not as much as ours) Here's why they rate Whaley #2:

Analysis

Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley entered this offseason needing to revamp the offense and he did exactly that.

Trading for LeSean McCoy and adding Percy Harvin, Charles Clay and Matt Cassel give the offense a new identity. This is good news for a unit that ranked just 26th overall (318.5 yards per game) a season ago. Sure, Cassel isn't a truly inspiring addition, but there weren't a lot of other veteran options available with which to replace the retired Kyle Orton.

Whaley also managed to find a potential starter in rookie John Miller, who has been running with the first-team offense in OTAs.

Losing guys like Kiko Alonso and Da'Norris Searcy may hurt the defense a little. However, this is a unit that was ranked eighth overallby Pro Football Focus in 2014 and which now has the leadership ofRex Ryan.

Buffalo is shaping up to be a legitimate contender in 2015 and Whaley didn't put the team in a dire cap situation in order to put everything together. He has easily had one of the best offseasons of the year.

Not sure what Whaley did that made him so good. The Bill draft was just OK. Nothing special. As for FA, he basically overpaid Matt Cassell and Percy Harvin, while making a lateral move for yet another headcase in Lesean McCoy. Finally, hiring Rex might just end up costing Whaley his career 1-2 years from now. Mac did a lot more in both the draft and FA, IMO.

I actually like that they ranked GB number 1. Even though the Packers didn't really have the greatest draft or free agency period they did something very important in keeping their good free agents from leaving for another team.

The Bucs at number 32 just baffles me, not that I think they should have been up in the top 10 on this list but come on, they got their franchise QB and patched up their offensive line in the draft (I personally think that Marpet was a steal and will end up being the best offensive lineman out of the draft)

I think the Cowboys were also to low down the list, yes they let the top RB in 2014 go, people seem to forget he is also injury prone. They also didn't lose Bryant even though they had to use the franchise tag to keep him, they got a corner in round 1 who I don't think was worth a pick that high but they also made up for that by getting Gregory as a steal in the bottom of round 2 and the icing on the cake is that they were able to get Collins as an undrafted free agent which gives them a pretty good chance of having the best offensive line in the NFL. The one and only thing I think Dallas did poorly in the offseason is they didn't find a proper replacement at RB (even a mediocre RB would have done with their OL talent). 

Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley entered this offseason needing to revamp the offense and he did exactly that. Trading for LeSean McCoy and adding Percy Harvin, Charles Clay and Matt Cassel give the offense a new identity.

Other than McCoy there is NOT a difference maker in the bunch. The Jets - on the other hand - got a franchise WR in Brandon Marshall, all-pro CB's in Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie and got the best overall player in the draft in Leonard Williams AND a future possible franchise QB. I think they rated Mac a bit too low, like three spots too low. Not to mention Erin Henderson an extremely talented LB, who is a boom or bust guy, but if he booms he's an all-pro. 

I actually like that they ranked GB number 1. Even though the Packers didn't really have the greatest draft or free agency period they did something very important in keeping their good free agents from leaving for another team.

The Bucs at number 32 just baffles me, not that I think they should have been up in the top 10 on this list but come on, they got their franchise QB and patched up their offensive line in the draft (I personally think that Marpet was a steal and will end up being the best offensive lineman out of the draft)

I think the Cowboys were also to low down the list, yes they let the top RB in 2014 go, people seem to forget he is also injury prone. They also didn't lose Bryant even though they had to use the franchise tag to keep him, they got a corner in round 1 who I don't think was worth a pick that high but they also made up for that by getting Gregory as a steal in the bottom of round 2 and the icing on the cake is that they were able to get Collins as an undrafted free agent which gives them a pretty good chance of having the best offensive line in the NFL. The one and only thing I think Dallas did poorly in the offseason is they didn't find a proper replacement at RB (even a mediocre RB would have done with their OL talent).

McFadden is a walking injury report. Dare I say; relatively speaking he sucks.

Hardy isn't around until week 10 I beleive.

I don't find weed to be a huge deal, but Gregory apparently has anxiety attacks. Not a knock on him at all as a human, but he is a possible liability on a pro football team.

Keeping Dez was big, agreed.

McFadden is a walking injury report. Dare I say; relatively speaking he sucks.

Hardy isn't around until week 10 I beleive.

I don't find weed to be a huge deal, but Gregory apparently has anxiety attacks. Not a knock on him at all as a human, but he is a possible liability on a pro football team.

Keeping Dez was big, agreed.

I would have put the Cowboys up in the top 15 is all I am saying, I honestly think they had a better offseason than the Bills who I think were placed way to high up on the list.

Active in free agency but did anybody think they had a particularly good draft, particularly after giving up the extra first for Watkins?  Not sure I see it.

Yes, it's from the crappy Bleacher Report, but what the hell.... it's the off season.  

BR ranks the 32 GMs and puts Mac 3rd, behind Doug Whaley, Buffalo (#2) and Ted Thompson, Green Bay( #1).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2489249-power-ranking-nfl-general-managers-by-2015-offseason-performance/page/31

some notables:

Ozzie Newsome (who I believe to be the best GM in the league) #5

Denis Hickey (Miami) #8

Rick Spielman (Vikes) #11

Chip Kelly #14

Ryan Pace (Chicago) #16

Bill Cheaterchick #19

Jerry Jones #22

John Elway #23

Reggie McKenzie (Raiduhs) #25

Jerry Reese (NYG) #29  (LMFAO!!!)

Dave Caldwell (Jax) #30 (I remember when people on JI really wanted Caldwell...  LOL)

Jason Licht (Tampa Bay) #32

Mike T should be at 8 in replace of Hickey, as he is Mike T's puppet.

Archived