Coples & Davis

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

I disagree, whole Davis may be a liability in coverage, he's still a very effective linebacker with more speed than Harris. I like Davis. 

All due respect but what games are you watching?  He has been abused through out the preseason and looks  like a PI waiting to happen.   It takes more than speed to play in coverage.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All due respect but what games are you watching?  He has been abused through out the preseason and looks  like a PI waiting to happen.   It takes more than speed to play in coverage.  

He seems a liability in coverage because he is in coverage.  The PI call was fair, but close.  Lattimore has been beaten pretty badly as well. Harris has not really been matched up with anybody much.  What I am worried about is that Davis supposedly likes this D because it lets him run to the ball and he is running past it, getting out of position and whiffing.  It should be his strength, but he looked bad against the Giants and Lions.  I didn't get to watch the Falcons game again, but I don't think he looked as bad there.

He seems a liability in coverage because he is in coverage.  The PI call was fair, but close.  Lattimore has been beaten pretty badly as well. Harris has not really been matched up with anybody much.  What I am worried about is that Davis supposedly likes this D because it lets him run to the ball and he is running past it, getting out of position and whiffing.  It should be his strength, but he looked bad against the Giants and Lions.  I didn't get to watch the Falcons game again, but I don't think he looked as bad there.

Okay but wasn't it Lattimore that had the Interception last week?  I am waiting for Davis to make a play like that.  They way he broke on the ball was very impressive; Davis has not shown me that kind of ability.   In the run game he looked even worse.  Maybe I am overreacting but I have been very disappointed him so far. 

Both our ilbs are suspect imo and very exploitable.  I am not as down on coples as others, he has not become a beast to any extend but he has played quite well in stretches and has some sack stats to back it up.

I don't get the Coples hate. With the exception of the pass over his head to the fullback a week or so ago, he has looked okay to me.  His strength is not dropping into coverage as I am sure Bowles is learning and once the season starts and the Biltzing begins, I think he is going to be a real force.   In fact he looked pretty good the other against the Midgets. 

Okay but wasn't it Lattimore that had the Interception last week?  I am waiting for Davis to make a play like that.  They way he broke on the ball was very impressive; Davis has not shown me that kind of ability.   In the run game he looked even worse.  Maybe I am overreacting but I have been very disappointed him so far. 

So have I, which is why I mentioned that he has looked awful.  Funny you picked Lattimore because he is the one I liked best, though most people like Henderson (knee) and KRL singled out Joe Mays.  I mostly figured on Lattimore for specials though.  Davis is a youngish player learning a new system.  Hopefully he gets his struggles out of the way now.  He is dirt cheap, but I think he is in his contract year.

I don't get the Coples hate. With the exception of the pass over his head to the fullback a week or so ago, he has looked okay to me.  His strength is not dropping into coverage as I am sure Bowles is learning and once the season starts and the Biltzing begins, I think he is going to be a real force.   In fact he looked pretty good the other against the Midgets. 

Coples is fine. He hasn't lived up to the Mo Wilk/Richardson/Williams hype so that explains the hate. But he is a very solid DL/LBer. Some guys around here expect every position to be filled with studs and for every 1st round pick to be elite. Coples may not be elite, but he is no Kyle Wilson. 

So have I, which is why I mentioned that he has looked awful.  Funny you picked Lattimore because he is the one I liked best, though most people like Henderson (knee) and KRL singled out Joe Mays.  I mostly figured on Lattimore for specials though.  Davis is a youngish player learning a new system.  Hopefully he gets his struggles out of the way now.  He is dirt cheap, but I think he is in his contract year.

I understand but based on competition, he is not having a very good preseason so far. I would have no problem benching him for Lattimore and making him earn the right to start.  I also liked Joe Mays; the way I see it, just like with Jeremy Kerley, I am not going to hand a job to Davis just because he was the starter last year; he has got to outplay his competition and so far, imho he has not done so.  

Hey don't worry no offense taken. I've been watching just that, pre season games. Last season I saw a great run stuffing linebacker who had over 100 tackles the past 2 seasons. If he's playing like this in week 2 or 3 then I'll be concerned.  Let's see what happens though, but right now I'm not worried about him. 

Oh Jets fans.  If a player isnt a superstar, they suck.  There is no in between with this fanbase.

Coples and Davis are good players and you need good players to be a good team.  They'll help the defense.  Not hurt them.  

Oh Jets fans.  If a player isnt a superstar, they suck.  There is no in between with this fanbase.

Coples and Davis are good players and you need good players to be a good team.  They'll help the defense.  Not hurt them.  

Don't forget that if a 1st year player makes a couple of good plays in PS against backups that means you should disregard all of the vets' prior playing experience and just start the rookie in the regular season...all in the name of "competition". 

Don't forget that if a 1st year player makes a couple of good plays in PS against backups that means you should disregard all of the vets' prior playing experience and just start the rookie in the regular season...all in the name of "competition". 

Somewhere Brett Ratliff is like, wtf???

I'm not worried at all. I give it three games before everyone loves him again.  I remember last season people were in love with him. Amazing to see what months away from the game and one bad game can do to a fans' mind. Tom Brady had 2 ints his last game, maybe he's overrated to. 

who would you start in their stead ?

I think I'd rather see Lattimore in for Davis. He seems to be "slightly" better in coverage than Davis, while Davis is a younger and slightly faster Harris.

I could maybe see Davis replace Harris in a year or so.

We've got to stop pretending that Coples is a Linebacker. Yeah, they were both drafted in the same year, the difference is that at the podium when Coples was called he was mentioned as a DE not a LB'er. Davis played LB'er and was drafted as one. Coples is a lineman that played DE and DT. When he dominated at the Senior Bowl it was as a D-lineman. 

When Jets coaches and its fans understand that Coples would be best suited being put back on the defensive line then will they begin to see what this guy could be worth on a consistent basis. Until then, we'll continue to be pissed at the lack of production coming from the LB'er spot ignoring the fact that we have linemen playing the position because of their "Size/speed" ratio. 

Agreed. This is the only thing that kinda irks me with Bowles. I had thought that he would've moved Coples to the line permanently. Although, regular season hasn't started yet, so perhaps he's just using preseason to see for himself what Coples can do as a backer. With Sheldon's legal issues, we could--and certainly should--see Coples shift back to the line.

Agreed. This is the only thing that kinda irks me with Bowles. I had thought that he would've moved Coples to the line permanently. Although, regular season hasn't started yet, so perhaps he's just using preseason to see for himself what Coples can do as a backer. With Sheldon's legal issues, we could--and certainly should--see Coples shift back to the line.

One of the things that I heard about Bowles when he was first signed was how he puts players in the best situation to succeed. If this is true then Coples should have been moved a long time ago. 

I empathize with Jet fans in regards to his performance from the point of view of just wanting better production, but I dont blame Coples for not being good at a position that he didnt play. 

I thought he looked kind of languid, like he wasn't too interested. Hopefully that was just because it's preseason, because he's a had a few monster moments for us.

One of the things that I heard about Bowles when he was first signed was how he puts players in the best situation to succeed. If this is true then Coples should have been moved a long time ago. 

I empathize with Jet fans in regards to his performance from the point of view of just wanting better production, but I dont blame Coples for not being good at a position that he didnt play. 

Agreed.

I'm hoping the preseason was just a trial for Coples at OLB, and he'll be seeing more time on the line during the season. Perhaps, as the season goes on, someone like Reilly or Mauldin will start to see more time in Coples place. And I'd much rather have Babin start in Coples place, with Coples on the line.

Agreed.

I'm hoping the preseason was just a trial for Coples at OLB, and he'll be seeing more time on the line during the season. Perhaps, as the season goes on, someone like Reilly or Mauldin will start to see more time in Coples place. And I'd much rather have Babin start in Coples place, with Coples on the line.

When we learned of the Sheldon suspension, I thought with certainty that this would be the remedy; Coples-Harrison-Wikerson (with Williams coming off the bench to spell them from time to time and playing in all 4 man fronts)  With Babin-Harris-Davis-Pace at LB (with Maudlin doing the same as Williams).  

But, nope.  He's still an OLB and its cool this year but last year it was the literally devil in the flesh!  haha

However, I do think that Bowles just hasnt tipped his hand at all this preseason and come game planning for the real bullets, we're going to see some different personnel groupings per the opponent that we havent seen in the preseason.

However, I do think that Bowles just hasnt tipped his hand at all this preseason and come game planning for the real bullets, we're going to see some different personnel groupings per the opponent that we havent seen in the preseason.

This is what I'm hanging my hope on.

This is what I'm hanging my hope on.

I think you are right about this. Coples himself has said he will be doing more rushing the passer and playing the run then dropping into coverage or trying to cover backs out of the backfield.  I think Bowles has probably seen enough this preseason to know that is not his strength.  

I guess I'm in the minority of people who like Demario. He had a bad game yesterday for sure, but he's a solid player. 

He he has gotten better each and every year.had 116 tackles last year including 3.5 sacks. Solid player. 

I agree I like Davis as well. People look at those two penalties from Sat night and over react. The first should not have been a PI IMO , the second was a clear hold.  Davis has the leadership and ability to be a quality LB for us, unfortunately he's  weakest in the area where the Jets are notably weak - pass coverage from the Lb's . Get that pass rush going , get the safeties laying some wood on receivers and the coverage from those same Lb'ers starts looking more palatable. I trust Bowles/Rodgers  will have this defense playing very well when the bullets fly for real.

While I agree his biggest issue is in coverage, your using the preseason as the barometer for where this player is at. A few new faces on defense , a new staff and new schemes, this is the time for evaluation and adjustment. I trust this defense will look much better as the real season unfolds and the Coach and DC actually gameplan for an opponent.

Agreed.

babin doesn't play the run at all, I don't know why you think that makes sense. If coples was going to play DL he'd probably need to come up 15-20 pounds, I think he went down to 275 when he moved to OLB

Face it, Coples is an OLB, and that's not going to change any time soon.  With brand new systems in place, the coaches are using the preseason to get players up to speed for the regular season.  They are not going to waste this precious time to conduct an experiment or as some sort of deception tactic.  It would be a different story if there was an established system, coach, and players in place for multiple years.

With that being said, Coples is at his best with his hand in the dirt, so that's where I expect him to be much of the time.  Either way, this will be Coples' last year here.  He's a decent player, but his motor sucks.  I believe the new regime will be moving on when he becomes a FA after this season.

Davis doesn't have any motor issues, but his instincts aren't great.

Both players will be starters in 2015, but there is no guarantee either of them are here long term.  Davis has a better chance to stick around after this year because he'll still be on his rookie contract.

Archived