Cimini: Gap between Fitz and Geno wider than ever

AFJF

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55754/gap-between-ryan-fitzpatrick-and-geno-smith-wider-than-ever

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few thoughts on New York Jets coach Todd Bowles' announcement that Ryan Fitzpatrick, despite having a torn ligament in his left thumb, will start on Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars:

1. Frankly, I'm a little surprised Bowles clarified the situation so quickly. All he needed was one practice to determine Fitzpatrick is good to go for Sunday -- a mere two days after expressing pessimism. What can we read into this? It's pretty clear: Bowles would rather take his chances with a slightly compromised Fitzpatrick than a relatively healthy Geno Smith, whose bruised left shoulder appears fine. The gap between Fitzpatrick and Smith never has been greater.

2. Don't let that fancy Harvard education fool you. Fitzpatrick is a tough dude.

3. The Fitzpatrick news created a palpable sense of relief in the locker room. It's apparent from listening to players that Fitzpatrick has won their trust and they believe he gives them the best chance of winning. Some people might interpret that as an anti-Geno sentiment; I think it's more pro-Fitzpatrick. The Jets (4-3) have dropped two in a row and can't afford a loss on Sunday to the lowly Jaguars. The players know this, and they're grateful Fitzpatrick will be leading them.

4. Smith said he has mixed feelings: happy for Fitzpatrick, disappointed for himself. I came away from Smith's media session thinking he's really bummed about not getting the start this week. He said, "I understand what's going on" and the "message has been sent" that it's Fitzpatrick's job to lose, but you could hear some disappointment in his voice. He could have strengthened his cause by playing better against the Oakland Raiders. I think he knows his future is elsewhere.

5. Naturally, Fitzpatrick downplayed the potential impact of the injury, but it's fair to wonder whether the Jets will have to tweak their offense to compensate. Two concerns: Can he handle snaps from under center? Can he grip the ball in his left hand on handoffs to the right side? The Jets are in the shotgun formation about 55 percent of the time, which helps. What about the other 45 percent? An AFC personnel executive suggested the Jets use the pistol formation. If they do, it would be a departure for the Jets, who have run only 15 plays out of the pistol.

The bold is pretty obvious but my favorite part.  Tired of fans enamored solely by arm strength saying it's "anti Geno" to like Fitz.  I'm pro Jets, and Fitz has been the best QB the Jets have had in almost a decade.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear. This will not sit well with Geno supporters.

As I said yesterday in another thread....

"a one handed Ryan Fitzpatrick better than Geno Smith on his best day" ~ Todd Bowles

He may not have actually said that but it is pretty clear that this is what he is saying  If you know what I mean.

The degree to which Geno is disliked in that locker room never ceases to amaze me.  You never hear that about a QB.  Well, maybe Jeff George or Jay Cutler after years of polluting their own locker rooms but other that that I cannot think of anyone.

The degree to which Geno is disliked in that locker room never ceases to amaze me.  You never hear that about a QB.  Well, maybe Jeff George or Jay Cutler after years of polluting their own locker rooms but other that that I cannot think of anyone.

Rg3 remember he threw the teamunder the bus in an after game presser last year?  Gruden was next to the podium after rg3 and immediately said rg3 needs to worry about playing qb, I'll worry about the team.

How aout Kapernick currently?

I don't think the geno hate in the locker room is as bad as you state...cimini even points that out above...

Cimini wants to make it out like it's more pro-Fitzpatrick than anti-Geno, but there are guys in that locker room that played 2 entire seasons with Geno whereas Fitz just got here. Players on offense are eager to be loyal to a QB. If you play with guys for 2 years and don't have any loyalty, there's something wrong with you. If a reserve linebacker breaks your jaw and you barely hear a peep from the locker room except from Brandon Marshall who just got off the plane... there's something wrong there.

Cimini wants to make it out like it's more pro-Fitzpatrick than anti-Geno, but there are guys in that locker room that played 2 entire seasons with Geno whereas Fitz just got here. Players on offense are eager to be loyal to a QB. If you play with guys for 2 years and don't have any loyalty, there's something wrong with you. If a reserve linebacker breaks your jaw and you barely hear a peep from the locker room except from Brandon Marshall who just got off the plane... there's something wrong there.

This pretty much mirrors my own thinking.  I would add that Fitzpatrick has won the job already. Now he needs to stop interviewing for it and learn to slide.

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55754/gap-between-ryan-fitzpatrick-and-geno-smith-wider-than-ever

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few thoughts on New York Jets coach Todd Bowles' announcement that Ryan Fitzpatrick, despite having a torn ligament in his left thumb, will start on Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars:

1. Frankly, I'm a little surprised Bowles clarified the situation so quickly. All he needed was one practice to determine Fitzpatrick is good to go for Sunday -- a mere two days after expressing pessimism. What can we read into this? It's pretty clear: Bowles would rather take his chances with a slightly compromised Fitzpatrick than a relatively healthy Geno Smith, whose bruised left shoulder appears fine. The gap between Fitzpatrick and Smith never has been greater.

2. Don't let that fancy Harvard education fool you. Fitzpatrick is a tough dude.

3. The Fitzpatrick news created a palpable sense of relief in the locker room. It's apparent from listening to players that Fitzpatrick has won their trust and they believe he gives them the best chance of winning. Some people might interpret that as an anti-Geno sentiment; I think it's more pro-Fitzpatrick. The Jets (4-3) have dropped two in a row and can't afford a loss on Sunday to the lowly Jaguars. The players know this, and they're grateful Fitzpatrick will be leading them.

4. Smith said he has mixed feelings: happy for Fitzpatrick, disappointed for himself. I came away from Smith's media session thinking he's really bummed about not getting the start this week. He said, "I understand what's going on" and the "message has been sent" that it's Fitzpatrick's job to lose, but you could hear some disappointment in his voice. He could have strengthened his cause by playing better against the Oakland Raiders. I think he knows his future is elsewhere.

5. Naturally, Fitzpatrick downplayed the potential impact of the injury, but it's fair to wonder whether the Jets will have to tweak their offense to compensate. Two concerns: Can he handle snaps from under center? Can he grip the ball in his left hand on handoffs to the right side? The Jets are in the shotgun formation about 55 percent of the time, which helps. What about the other 45 percent? An AFC personnel executive suggested the Jets use the pistol formation. If they do, it would be a departure for the Jets, who have run only 15 plays out of the pistol.

The bold is pretty obvious but my favorite part.  Tired of fans enamored solely by arm strength saying it's "anti Geno" to like Fitz.  I'm pro Jets, and Fitz has been the best QB the Jets have had in almost a decade.

Interesting that Geno responded to Fitzpatrick getting the nod by saying, "I understand whats going on, the message has been sent" - when I hear a quote like that, it almost makes feel like the coaching staff isnt communicating with him their intentions.

Yes.  But to say Fitz is due for a letdown game is pure garbage.  If anything he is due to get back on track.

his career stats are laughable.....but you are the moderator 180000 jet nation points.....i am @-1  you have superiority here.....feelin like I'm @ gang green.com .srs

IK stepped up to the plate last time. Do the Jets have anyone else who would be willing to throw one for the team if needed?

wishing injury on the backup QB why? Unless you're some kind of deranged weirdo. Your "conquering hero" has already been given the job, let it go

his career stats are laughable.....but you are the moderator 180000 jet nation points.....i am @-1  you have superiority here.....feelin like I'm @ gang green.com .srs

So based on his stats you say he is do for a bad game?  ok.  I thought you where saying he has played so well he was due for a bad game.  I do appreciate you accusing me of being a bully as a mod.  Been working on my bad boy image .  Now shut up noob!!!!!

So based on his stats you say he is do for a bad game?  ok.  I thought you where saying he has played so well he was due for a bad game.  I do appreciate you accusing me of being a bully as a mod.  Been working on my bad boy image .  Now shut up noob!!!!!

Cheers from the mod room or bullying room

Geno's future IS elsewhere. Plus, the arm strength issue is moot. Geno WAY underthrew his only deep pass and it was picked, so what does that say about his supposed arm strength. Geno is a below average QB who will be a journeyman backup the rest of his "career"

Interesting that Geno responded to Fitzpatrick getting the nod by saying, "I understand whats going on, the message has been sent" - when I hear a quote like that, it almost makes feel like the coaching staff isnt communicating with him their intentions.

You do understand that this is the same child that wanted to storm out of the NFL Draft, only to have his momma pull him back by the ear? The same child that decided to be an idiot on an airplane post 9-11? The same child that missed a pre-road game meeting on a West Coast trip and said he went to a movie and forgot to "set his watch", even though Cell Phones auto set based on their time zones?

And you think the communication problem may lie with the sender rather than the receiver? OK.....

wishing injury on the backup QB why? Unless you're some kind of deranged weirdo. Your "conquering hero" has already been given the job, let it go

My conquering hero?  Hardly that. I think he is an average QB at best.  On his very best day he is an average QB.  The only problem for Geno fanboys such as yourself is that average puts him about 16 spots better than Geno.

You see where a one-handed Fitzpatrick is preferred by this coaching staff over a two-handed Geno Smith?  You saw that part right?  So the whole "Geno was outplaying Fitz" in training camp is just so much hogwash and it always was that.  Geno fanboy wishful-thinking hogwash.  I am guessing that your only hope now lies in Fitzpatrick getting hurt again which is probably the only way you will ever get to see Geno Smith start another NFL game in his lifetime.

My conquering hero?  Hardly that. I think he is an average QB at best.  On his very best day he is an average QB.  The only problem for Geno fanboys such as yourself is that average puts him about 16 spots better than Geno.

You see where a one-handed Fitzpatrick is preferred by this coaching staff over a two-handed Geno Smith?  You saw that part right?  So the whole "Geno was outplaying Fitz" in training camp is just so much hogwash and it always was that.  Geno fanboy wishful-thinking hogwash.  I am guessing that your only hope now lies in Fitzpatrick getting hurt again which is probably the only way you will ever get to see Geno Smith start another NFL game in his lifetime.

Geno Smith "improving" storyline = "Vern (Gholstons) nuts are dropping...."

Geno Smith "improving" storyline = "Vern (Gholstons) nuts are dropping...."

The Vernon Gholston excuses were practically legendary by the end.  The coaches were conducting a vendetta against him.  Give it a few more weeks and I am sure someone will come up with that idea too about Geno.  That Todd Bowles and/or Chan Gailey is biased against Geno Smith and in favor of Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Anything, anything at all other than the idea that his poor play cost him the job.

Archived