Elliot or Jaylon Smith.

thecitylimits

24 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Jaylon Smith is going to be a superstar. No way do the Jets pass up on him for a running back.

Agree Jaylon Smith has potential but Vernon Gholston had a superior college resume and Vern looked better on film (did not work out well for the Jets). Smith has only 4.5 career sacks starting for two years against weak schedules and people are ready to anoint him because he played at Notre Dame and has a similar profile to Von Miller.  Tanny traded up for Steven Hill thinking was getting Demaryius Thomas, how did that work out...

Zeke takes the Jets to the playoffs, Jaylon is a consideration in the 2nd for Macc

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree Jaylon Smith has potential but Vernon Gholston had a superior college resume and Vern looked better on film (did not work out well for the Jets). Smith has only 4.5 career sacks starting for two years against weak schedules and people are ready to anoint him because he played at Notre Dame and has a similar profile to Von Miller.  Tanny traded up for Steven Hill thinking was getting Demaryius Thomas, how did that work out...

Zeke takes the Jets to the playoffs, Jaylon is a consideration in the 2nd for Macc

You know nothing about Jaylon Smith who started for 3 years and plays a completely different spot than Gholston. The comparison is ridiculous. Jaylon will probably still go in the top ten because he's that good. Elliot will be a fine pro, but you can get a comparable guy in a later round. He's not a franchise changing back. 

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Is Jaylon Smith a better prospect than Aaron Curry was? My issue with him, besides the injury, is that he's not a pass rusher.

Yes. And while he can rush the passer, he's actually one of the best in coverage and that's just as important in the NFL today.

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Bad wheel and not enough production for Smith. I feel Zeke can be an All Pro back.

Not enough production? Over 110 tackles each of the last two seasons in 12 or 13 games, 18 for a loss. The sack numbers are low because Notre Dame has had some great DLineman who can generate pressure on their own. He dropped into coverage more often than not. 

5 hours ago, Bachelors3 said:

Ivory will probably sign elsewhere so my pick would be Zeke.

The Jets current outside linebackers consist of Mauldin and Reilly. Running backs are a dime a dozen and can be found in later rounds. Smith is a top 5 talent. If you can get that at 20 you do it and run. 

7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Is Jaylon Smith a better prospect than Aaron Curry was? My issue with him, besides the injury, is that he's not a pass rusher.

tbh Elliot is really good too. We could use this type of explosion in our offense . But I wouldn't complain one bit if we where able to land Smith .

9 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You know nothing about Jaylon Smith who started for 3 years and plays a completely different spot than Gholston. The comparison is ridiculous. Jaylon will probably still go in the top ten because he's that good. Elliot will be a fine pro, but you can get a comparable guy in a later round. He's not a franchise changing back. 

Possible :) I only know what I have read and what I saw in his short playing time in the Fiesta bowl

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2082844/jaylon-smith

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jaylon-smith?id=2555310

I agree that the Jets need speed and and better coverage from our linebackers. I just think Zeke is plug and play where Smith is more of a project (especially with the injury) it is just my opinion and I am not an expert.  If you have better information on Smith I would like to hear/read all about it since I agree Smith could be a very good fit in Bowles defense.

I did watch every game Zeke played at OSU and I think he will be a franchise running back.

as for the comparison you are correct that Vern and Smith played different positions in college but they were/are both projected to OLB in the NFL, and my concern is the long list of projected OLB's that could not make the transition to the NFL 

18 minutes ago, afosomf said:

carl is beyond a lady dame homer, Smith was a top pick before gruesome injury, now not so much

Wait and see. All of the talk is he could still go top ten, definitely top 20, but if healthy, was a lock for top five. You'd know that if you did any research or read anything other than rolltide.ca.

22 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Possible :) I only know what I have read and what I saw in his short playing time in the Fiesta bowl

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2082844/jaylon-smith

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jaylon-smith?id=2555310

I agree that the Jets need speed and and better coverage from our linebackers. I just think Zeke is plug and play where Smith is more of a project (especially with the injury) it is just my opinion and I am not an expert.  If you have better information on Smith I would like to hear/read all about it since I agree Smith could be a very good fit in Bowles defense.

I did watch every game Zeke played at OSU and I think he will be a franchise running back.

as for the comparison you are correct that Vern and Smith played different positions in college but they were/are both projected to OLB in the NFL, and my concern is the long list of projected OLB's that could not make the transition to the NFL 

It's pretty simple: a great OLB (or ILB because Smith is versatile to play both and did in college) who can play for 10 years is more valuable than a great RB who will be good for 5 and then hit the wall and decline. There is no value to taking a running back in the first round unless that running back is the next AP. Elliot is not that at all.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Wait and see. All of the talk is he could still go top ten, definitely top 20, but if healthy, was a lock for top five. You'd know that if you did any research or read anything other than rolltide.ca.

I know Smith was a great player, Bama recruited this 5 star very hard, the injury was very bad and he is not likely to play much this yr. jets cannot afford to wait

1 minute ago, afosomf said:

I know Smith was a great player, Bama recruited this 5 star very hard, the injury was very bad and he is not likely to play much this yr. jets cannot afford to wait

Again, read the reports. He could/should be ready mid-year or sooner. The Rams waited for Gurley and that worked out pretty well. Bring back Pace on a vet min deal and then let Jaylon Smith replace him when the time is right. The Jets have little young talent, there's plenty of time to wait for a guy who could start the next 10 years.

29 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

That would certainly explain why he thinks Jerian Grant is better than Jose Calderon and Langston Galloway.

You act as if I am the only person with that train of thought. I won't get into that here, but reply to me in the Knicks thread and I'll show you the light.

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't know.  But your objectivity on the topic comes into question any time a Golden Domer is discussed.  And that's OK. 

That's not true at all. I would probably have the same stance for a top 5 talent dropping to 20 who went to any other school as well over the most overrated position in football.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't care how good he is, a speed edge player with that severe of an injury shouldn't be in the conversation until round 2. 

The Rams sure are kicking themselves they didn't wait until Round 2 for Gurley. You know better than this.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's not true at all. I would probably have the same stance for a top 5 talent dropping to 20 who went to any other school as well over the most overrated position in football.

The Rams sure are kicking themselves they didn't wait until Round 2 for Gurley. You know better than this.

Did Rams make playoffs with Gurley or did they stay stuck in the same mud?

Archived