A Closer Look at Jets Undrafted Free Agent Signings

JetNation

Nov 16, 2013; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Temple Owls wide receiver Robby Anderson (19) catches a pass during the second quarter against the UCF Knights at Lincoln Financial Field. Mandatory Credit: Howard Smith-USA TODAY Sports

By Glenn Naughton

Once the dust stirred up by the NFL draft settles, it’s time for clubs to start working the phones to bring in those players who weren’t chosen, but whose game film, production and interviews left enough of an impression to get themselves signed in the minutes and hours following the draft.

Here’s a list of players that have been brought in by Gang Green thus far:

Doug Middleton- Safety – 6′ 210 – Appalachian State 

A big hitting safety who does his best work in the box, Middleton didn’t play against top competition at Appalachian State, but his fiery playing style and leadership traits were bound to get him a look somewhere.

Robby Anderson- Wide Receiver – 6′ 3” 190 – Temple

An extremely intriguing prospect out of Temple, Anderson’s size speed combo (4.28 40 at his pro day) make him worth a look.  He’ll make plenty of dazzling catches but will also suffer the occasional drop on what should be a routine catch.  Anderson faced lower competition at Temple, but he did face off against first-round cornerback William Jackson III and had quite a day.  Matched up against one another for most of the day, Anderson hauled in 12 catches for 150 yards, including a 51-yard grab that saw Anderson scream past Jackson III lined up one-on-one.

Jalin Marshall- Wide Receiver – 5′ 10” 200 – Ohio State

Yet another Ohio State product heading to the NFL, only this time not via the draft.  Marshall is listed is a wide receiver but is more likely to get a look at H-back in the pro’s.  He logged 25 carries as a running back as a freshman before seeing that drop to just 2 in a Sophomore with most of his production coming as a receiver.  In two seasons at Ohio State, he totaled 74 receptions for 976 yards and 11 TD’s.

Tom Hackett- Punter – 5′ 10” 198 – Utah

Hackett joins seventh-round draft choice Lac Edwards in trying to take over Ryan Quigley this season.  The two-time Ray Guy award winner averaged 47.9 yards per punt with 45.9% of his kicks landing inside the 20-yard line at Utah.

Claude Pelon- Defensive Lineman – 6′ 4” 310 – USC

Pelon moved around a little bit on the Trojans defensive line from end to tackle so he does have some versatility.  Not ultra-productive after picking up just 45 tackles and 4 sacks in two seasons, Pelon is unlikely to be much more than a camp body.

Quenton Bundrage- Wide Receiver – 6′ 2” 192 – Iowa State

Bundrage had a strong 2013 season (48-676-9) before missing all of 2014 with a torn ACL.  Coming back from the injury, he saw his numbers slip to 41-548-4 which may have prevented him from being a late-round pick.

Kyle Friend- Center/Guard – 6′ 2” 305 – Temple

Without an established backup center on the roster and Nick Mangold’s advanced age, it makes sense to bring a guy like Friend in to camp.  An experienced starter and three-time team captain at Temple, Friend is a high character player with incredible strength, ripping off 41 reps of 225 at his pro day.

Jason VanderLaan – QB/TE – 6′ 4” 244 – Ferris State

Tiny Ferris State’s starting quarterback is college football’s all-time leading rushing quarterback with over 5,000 yards but is said to be looking at a move to Tight End with Gang Green.

Tarow Barney- Defensive Lineman – 6′ 1” 306

In just 13 career games at Penn State, Barney picked up 16 tackles to go along with  2.5 sacks.

Ross Martin- K – 5′ 10” 185 – Duke

One of countries most accurate kickers, Martin hit 83% of his kicks at Duke.

Daniel Sobolewski- K – 6′ 224 – Albright

Another kicker to compete in camp, Sobolewski is a local product from Linden, NJ who was named first-team All-American by USA College football.

Lawrence Thomas- Defensive Lineman – 6′ 3” 286 – Michigan State

Thomas didn’t see much of the field through his first two college seasons as a linebacker but saw some action as a D-lineman during his Junior and Senior seasons, picking up 72 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and 6 sacks.  Also played fullback as a Freshman.

Romar Morris- Running Back – 5′ 10” 190 – North Carolina

Morris blazed a 4.36 40 at his pro day but he lacks on-field production.  In 44 collegiate contests, Morris carried the ball 213 times for 1,024 yards (4.8 YPC) and 12 touchdowns.  Morris also returned 27 kicks for 597 yards during his time at North Carolina.

More names are likely to be added in the coming days, so stay tuned and join the discussion on our forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
A0VMqJpOth4

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Anderson 6'3'' and runs a 4.28.

Guy has to be a complete mess as a football player with zero instincts to not have been drafted.

Stephen Hill

Hill had around six receptions in college.  I think Anderson had more receptions against Jackson in one game.

Why our undrafted Aussie punter from Utah will make our team OVER the punter we DRAFTED in the 7th round:

It's Aussie versus Aussie for the Jets, who began the day with no punter on their roster. Their previous punter, Ryan Quigley, signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as a free agent.

"It was great, it was awesome, it was amazing to get the call," Edwards told reporters in New York. "I'm super happy to be with the Jets."

Three punters were drafted, and Edwards was the third. Many thought Hackett, one of the most decorated punters in college history, would be drafted too. For some reason, he slipped, but he evidently doesn't lack confidence, as he picked the Jets even though they drafted his fellow countryman.

Hackett is a rugby-style punter whose 48.0 gross average was second in the FBS last season. He's only 5-foot-11 and not very athletic-looking.

"The main reason I'm playing this sport is because deep down, I'm fat and I don't like running very far," Hackett told ESPN's Chris Fowler during a college football awards show. "So I'm running 20-odd yards on and 20-odd yards off, and that's about all I got for you."

1427664.jpg

Hackett doesn't expect much will be easy. He's the consensus best punter on the board, but he claims his expectation is that he, like those other Aussie punters before him, won't get picked at all.

"You hear things. People tell you things. 'Oh, you're a fourth-round guy.' It doesn't really do anything to me, because the second I get expectations, generally that just makes it fall downhill," Hackett said.

"If I get drafted, sweet. I'll have a few beers to celebrate and then get back to work. If not, then I'll probably have a few beers and get back to work anyway."

By contrast, Edwards s 6-foot-5. He too has a background in rugby. He averaged 41.5 yards gross last season in the Southland Conference.

Even once Hackett got to Salt Lake City, Whittingham and his staff weren't immediately all-in. That was problematic for Hackett's father, who still works in Australia and supports Hackett's three brothers and one sister. He'd need a scholarship.

"My dad said, 'If you can't get it within the year, you're coming home,'" Hackett said. "So I just clawed and scratched my way to get that paper."

One of Hackett's earliest orders of business at Utah was becoming invested in the Utes' rivalry with BYU. (Four years later, Hackett would get up on a stage at a pep rally and call the Cougars "bastards.")

"People tell you, 'Now that you play for Utah, you hate BYU.' I said, 'OK,' but I didn't really have anything behind that statement, so once you kind of get out there and see them, and the chit-chat starts," Hackett said. "When your teammate hates someone, generally you hate them, too, so that's really how it works."

"My first game out there, I crapped myself for at least the first half of that first season," he said. "It's crazy how time flies. You just kind of see things a bit differently, and that's probably all it was."

After a season as the Utes' starting punter, Hackett got his scholarship. The next season, he improved his punting average from 38.9 yards to 43.4. It would rise to 46.7 and then 48 in his junior and senior seasons. He ended up with two consensus All-America bids and one 48-hour social media adventure as he tracked down a stolen car.

Hackett's out of his own head now. In addition to Utah's pro day, he's worked out privately for the Chargers, and his agent said the Jets, Cardinals and Panthers have expressed interest.

"I probably owe my old man a fair bit of shrapnel [Aussie slang for money], so hopefully I can sort him out in a couple months," he said. "But no expectations. I guess we'll see."

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Hackett is a rugby-style punter whose 48.0 gross average was second in the FBS last season. He's only 5-foot-11 and not very athletic-looking.

"The main reason I'm playing this sport is because deep down, I'm fat and I don't like running very far," Hackett told ESPN's Chris Fowler during a college football awards show. "So I'm running 20-odd yards on and 20-odd yards off, and that's about all I got for you."

I like this guy already.

I wanted us to draft Anderson! 

Him and zee German were the WR guys I wanted us to take a chance on late. He's an interesting prospect with some production to back up his incredible physical talent.

Think some of these other guys have a chance too - Friend and Hackett in particular.

1 minute ago, afosomf said:

Hackett is not an NFL punter 

Correct, he's, according to him, an Australian Fat Man! and he will be AWESOME as he swigs punts and beers alike for the NY Jets 

Joking right?

you don't reach on an UDFA. The only indicator to measure "worth" on an UDFA is purely subjective because it's the size of the signing bonus the team is willing to offer and the PLAYER CHOOSES who he want so sign with ~ usually the highest bidder, but not always (playing time, position or scheme team projects for prospect)

It's a free market and like RealEstate, the prize usually goes to the bidder who OVER pays 

I'm hoping some of our UDFA last year make an impact this year.

Wes Saxton. Really hope he can replace someone like Bohannon. I know he's not a traditional FB but with his speed and length, and not being able to block inline, I can see him being a matchup problem for defenses.

This year's crop that has me excited is Middleton. Kept calling his name towards end of draft. High athletic numbers, high intangibles, and excited to see him with Bowles. I assume Bowles can make him a pet project. I see Villian the Foe is doing post about each player and hope he does one for Middleton.

Jalin Marshall. Very versatile. Returner, slot, outside, and can hand it off to him. Maybe can develop into a 3rd down weapon and matchup problem for defenses.

Don't know where else to put this but I never get angry about who the Jets draft. Sometimes you feel disappointed but who knows how good this class is till at least 3 years from now. Here is what bothers me. UDFA period should be a time to pick up athletes who work hard and that you can coach up. I always feel the Jets lack this when the draft is over. Why can't the Jets pick some edge speedsters that you can teach to rush the edge on passing downs. Don't you want QBs stepping up into Mo and Sheldon and Leo. My guess is Bowles is a big on bringing pressure in the A gaps which is the closest line to the QB. 

5 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I'm hoping some of our UDFA last year make an impact this year.

Wes Saxton. Really hope he can replace someone like Bohannon. I know he's not a traditional FB but with his speed and length, and not being able to block inline, I can see him being a matchup problem for defenses.

This year's crop that has me excited is Middleton. Kept calling his name towards end of draft. High athletic numbers, high intangibles, and excited to see him with Bowles. I assume Bowles can make him a pet project. I see Villian the Foe is doing post about each player and hope he does one for Middleton.

Jalin Marshall. Very versatile. Returner, slot, outside, and can hand it off to him. Maybe can develop into a 3rd down weapon and matchup problem for defenses.

Don't know where else to put this but I never get angry about who the Jets draft. Sometimes you feel disappointed but who knows how good this class is till at least 3 years from now. Here is what bothers me. UDFA period should be a time to pick up athletes who work hard and that you can coach up. I always feel the Jets lack this when the draft is over. Why can't the Jets pick some edge speedsters that you can teach to rush the edge on passing downs. Don't you want QBs stepping up into Mo and Sheldon and Leo. My guess is Bowles is a big on bringing pressure in the A gaps which is the closest line to the QB. 

An offense where everyone but the QB and OL are pass catchers definitely would be fun. Saxton gets a little more interesting as a Bohannon replacement.

Feel the same way about Marshall and Middleton...I like Marshall's versatility and Middleton seems like the most draftable guy signed.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

You guys will enjoy this. Keep in mind, this is a bowl game. 

I've never seen a team game plan for a punter.... he moves the ball around sideline to sideline that many teams resort to using 2 return men.

I hope Bowles understands the impact this guy could have on game day

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

I've never seen a team game plan for a punter.... he moves the ball around sideline to sideline that many teams resort to using 2 return men.

I hope Bowles understands the impact this guy could have on game day

What I most notice is how his style of kicking really traps the return team. Standard punting gives the returner time/space to return the punt. Because he takes so long to punt, by the time he actually punts the ball the gunners are already halfway down the field. Also, he's practically getting a running start so he's also able to get more power behind the kick if need be. 

He's an effective punter. 

Archived