per Ian Rapoport no deal for Fitz before camp

F.Chowds

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Cimini made an interesting point the other day when he said that last year Fitz only took a few snaps in the first exhibition game. And it wouldn't a big deal if he wasn't signed until after that game. But right now it looks like no deal but stranger things that this have  occurred in contract negotiations in the NFL. I think the Jets know what they have with Geno. He's been at Florham Park for the entire off season. I doubt it's a factor. 

Uh, a week ago, it was reported that the Jets wanted to see Geno in camp, before doing anything re: Fitz.

This is only a tenuous situation, because the media is giving about 100% more updates per day than are actually necessary.

BREAKING NEWS: Nothing has changed.

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Uh, a week ago, it was reported that the Jets wanted to see Geno in camp, before doing anything re: Fitz.

This is only a tenuous situation, because the media is giving about 100% more updates per day than are actually necessary.

BREAKING NEWS: Nothing has changed.

+1

18 minutes ago, F.Chowds said:

It doesn't appear there will be a deal between the and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick before the start of camp, I'm told. The standoff continues.

"we will tell you when a final decision has been made. until then, mind your business"

So we know Fitz is hoping and rooting against a good offensive camp early on. Because if geno looks good and shows command of the O Fitz loses the little leverage he had left.. Of course if geno doesn't do well and O is looking lost Fitz gains leverage.. Definitely a gamble on both sides.. If the first scenario occurs what does Fitz do then? Retire ?

I can appreciate Macc's decision to "own" the business and do things his way. Whether that includes getting Fitz on board eventually or not - we'll see...

But I personally think the "Fitz can show up in the middle of august and slide into camp" narrative is a giant steaming pile of dog sh*t. Maybe if you're aaron fcking rodgers and you've been playing in GB with same staff for a decade. But otherwise, every sonofab*tch better be here and putting in the time. Nobody, including Fitz can cake walk his a$$ through our schedule this year. Our guys gotta know who to get behind and start gelling with TOMORROW not on August fcking 14th. 

...and for that reason, I wonder if our heralded GM isn't going to learn a lesson the hardway this year.

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I can appreciate Macc's decision to "own" the business and do things his way. Whether that includes getting Fitz on board eventually or not - we'll see...

But I personally think the "Fitz can show up in the middle of august and slide into camp" narrative is a giant steaming pile of dog sh*t. Maybe if you're aaron fcking rodgers and you've been playing in GB with same staff for a decade. But otherwise, every sonofab*tch better be here and putting in the time. Nobody, including Fitz can cake walk his a$$ through our schedule this year. Our guys gotta know who to get behind and start gelling with TOMORROW not on August fcking 14th. 

...and for that reason, I wonder if our heralded GM isn't going to learn a lesson the hardway this year.

wasn't geno taking 1st team reps for a bit before he got smacked?  fitz stepped in and did fine.  now he knows the offense and the guys.  i imagine mccags has figured out how long fitz can be out of camp and not have it affect their prep for the regular season.

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So we know Fitz is hoping and rooting against a good offensive camp early on. Because if geno looks good and shows command of the O Fitz loses the little leverage he had left.. Of course if geno doesn't do well and O is looking lost Fitz gains leverage.. Definitely a gamble on both sides.. If the first scenario occurs what does Fitz do then? Retire ?

as we speak, there really is no risk on both sides. nobody is signing fitz away from the jets and fitz knows that what little they saw from geno playing pitch and catch in ota's hasn't changed their mind. the risk becomes greater for both sides during the pre season games. the risk for the jets is that it might cost them a few more bucks to sign Fitzpatrick if geno doesn't look much improved. but if geno looks to have a hold of the offense, that could spell disaster for Fitzpatrick. the risk is too much for fitz when the pre season starts. he can hold out till after the 1st pre season game. if geno plays decent, fitz will have no choice but to sign immediately. the offer will still be there at that point. after the 2nd pre season game, if geno plays well, it might not be there and fitz will find himself stuck like chuck

Macc should put his final offer out, publicly, and the final deadline (the second camp starts), publicly.

Fitz, take it or leave it.

He leaves it, it's withdrawn, and we move forward with sh*t at QB and live with it, if Macc feels this strongly about his offer and Fitz feels equally strongly about it being a bad offer.

No more bullsh*t, sign or ****off.  And both Macc and Fitz can be judged and live with the consequences.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Macc should put his final offer out, publicly, and the final deadline (the second camp starts), publicly.

He leaves it, it's withdrawn, and we move forward with sh*t at QB and live with it, if Macc feels this strongly about his offer and Fitz feels equally strongly about it being a bad offer.

No more bullsh*t, sign or ****off.  And both Macc and Fitz can be judged and live with the consequences.

i disagree.   one of the things mccags has said from the start was that he does not negotiate in the media.  that's why nobody knew the wilk deal was going down.  i'd rather have a gm who keeps everyone out of it except the player and agent.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

wasn't geno taking 1st team reps for a bit before he got smacked?  fitz stepped in and did fine.  now he knows the offense and the guys.  i imagine mccags has figured out how long fitz can be out of camp and not have it affect their prep for the regular season.

That's a lazy assessment if i ever saw one. Sounds like something Rex's regime would say... "That Fitz guy, he knows Chan's stuff. He can get it nailed down in a weekend"... 

Does your perspective feel like the kind of approach a team like NE, or BAL or DEN would take? Cause we have an a$$hole of a schedule this year and it's all hands on deck as far as I'm concerned. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i disagree.   one of the things mccags has said from the start was that he does not negotiate in the media.  that's why nobody knew the wilk deal was going down.  i'd rather have a gm who keeps everyone out of it except the player and agent.

If Fitz is not in camp, minute one, preparing for our season and with a signed deal, I don't ******* want him on this team.  No half-ass Revis-like join the team a few hours before the season starts bullsh*t.  Sign, or we move on.  Period.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That's a lazy assessment if i ever saw one. Sounds like something Rex's regime would say... "That Fitz guy, he knows Chan's stuff. He can get it nailed down in a weekend"... 

Does your perspective feel like the kind of approach a team like NE, or BAL or DEN would take? Cause we have an a$$hole of a schedule this year and it's all hands on deck as far as I'm concerned. 

it is a calculated assessment.  i do believe the jets brass feels geno can do what fitz can do on the field at this point, since the reported offers to fitz aren't that high relative to the qb position.  i think they'd like to have fitz around to tutor hack and that is part of his perceived value.  

it is a calculated assessment.  i do believe the jets brass feels geno can do what fitz can do on the field at this point, since the reported offers to fitz aren't that high relative to the qb position.  i think they'd like to have fitz around to tutor hack and that is part of his perceived value.  

you misunderstand. I'm fine with geno, prefer it even... but my personal preferences are secondary at this point. "what the hell are we doing?"... is theme of July. 

There was a time in feb/march when i was fine with signing Fitz to a deal he didn't really deserve - in the name of continuity. Keep some momentum going.. but that has been irreparably severed. The fanbase is divided, I'm sure the lockerroom too to a lesser extend - and Geno's being practicing with the 1s...

The point is; it's go time. 2016 starts TOMORROW and our schedule is going to be an everest climb this year. Get on board, or get the fck out. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

you misunderstand. I'm fine with geno, prefer it even... but my personal preferences are secondary at this point. "what the hell are we doing?"... is theme of July. 

There was a time in feb/march when i was fine with signing Fitz to a deal he didn't really deserve - in the name of continuity. Keep some momentum going.. but that has been irreparably severed. The fanbase is divided, I'm sure the lockerroom too to a lesser extend - and Geno's being practicing with the 1s...

The point is; it's go time. 2016 starts TOMORROW and our schedule is going to be an everest climb this year. Get on board, or get the fck out. 

i hear you.  at this point, maybe part of the gm and hc's plan was to see how geno looked while making lowball offers to fitz.  this way they could always up the fitz offer if they thought geno wasn't progressing.  regardless of what the players want, it appears from the outside here, that the front office is rather ambivalent about who starts, as odd as this is to write.

the front office is rather ambivalent about who starts, as odd as this is to write.

Accurate.. That's what it feels like.

Everything around the QB position has been handled with prudence and a degree of cunning since Macc took over. I could pick a part salary cap and draft picks -- but we all sense the purpose and leadership... but he's yet to reveal the "plan" at QB, or solution. We've waffled our way through 2 drafts and offseasons and i feel no closer to understanding his position on our future. 

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Accurate.. That's what it feels like.

Everything around the QB position has been handled with prudence and a degree of cunning since Macc took over. I could pick a part salary cap and draft picks -- but we all sense the purpose and leadership... but he's yet to reveal the "plan" at QB, or solution. We've waffled our way through 2 drafts and offseasons and i feel no closer to understanding his position on our future. 

they want hack to be the starter in 2017, ideally tutored by fitz.  add this to geno probably improving to the point where with these weapons he can do what fitz can do - both good and bad - and you have a rather low qb contract offer and an odd stalemate.

I think the date to have Fitz in camp by, beyond which his absence becomes, and only then begins to become, a problem is the week of practice after the first pre-season game.  As a fan I am as frustrated by this as anyone, but I don't think team preparations have been harmed to date.  Even when camp starts there is little done with the first team in the first game.  But the second game is much more critical.

It will probably take a few more days anyway for Woody to back down from is take it or leave it position.  Throw the guy a bone already.

Fitzpatrick has been in the NFL for 11 seasons and never made the playoffs.  The Jets have made him very generous offers for a C+ QB.  We had a 5 game winning streak against some very lousy teams.  Fitzpatrick also had two great WRs to bail him out.   Not sure how well they mesh with Geno but if they do they will be fine.  

I have also heard that Fitz has $25 million in the bank.  Assuming he can live off 4% per year he's got $1 million per year to live on.  Also he has a Harvard degree.  No reason he can't get a job paying at least $150k per year.  Maybe he just doesn't want to play anymore.  

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

I think the date to have Fitz in camp by, beyond which his absence becomes, and only then begins to become, a problem is the week of practice after the first pre-season game.  As a fan I am as frustrated by this as anyone, but I don't think team preparations have been harmed to date.  Even when camp starts there is little done with the first team in the first game.  But the second game is much more critical.

It will probably take a few more days anyway for Woody to back down from is take it or leave it position.  Throw the guy a bone already.

ya. I think after the 1st pre season game, but before the 2nd is the crucial point. before or during that time is when a decision has to be made. one way or the other

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i hear you.  at this point, maybe part of the gm and hc's plan was to see how geno looked while making lowball offers to fitz.  this way they could always up the fitz offer if they thought geno wasn't progressing.  regardless of what the players want, it appears from the outside here, that the front office is rather ambivalent about who starts, as odd as this is to write.

This "see how Smith does" in the first game is bs.  Teams only play vanilla on both sides, and so exactly what do we expect to see from him?  THat he doesn't take a poop at midfield?  Smith's problems have always in been in games that count.

It makes no sense to gamble the whole season on a quarter or so of play in a pre-season game.

35 minutes ago, ylekram said:

as we speak, there really is no risk on both sides. nobody is signing fitz away from the jets and fitz knows that what little they saw from geno playing pitch and catch in ota's hasn't changed their mind. the risk becomes greater for both sides during the pre season games. the risk for the jets is that it might cost them a few more bucks to sign Fitzpatrick if geno doesn't look much improved. but if geno looks to have a hold of the offense, that could spell disaster for Fitzpatrick. the risk is too much for fitz when the pre season starts. he can hold out till after the 1st pre season game. if geno plays decent, fitz will have no choice but to sign immediately. the offer will still be there at that point. after the 2nd pre season game, if geno plays well, it might not be there and fitz will find himself stuck like chuck

I agree.. But I think mac can really turn the noose on Fitz if all goes well for geno after good camp start including good preseason performances.. Maybe Mac and Bowles will want to bring Fitz back still but remove the " guarantee " starting gig.. They may let geno keep going until he hits a rough patch.. Could be early in season, mid, or not at all with the supporting cast he has for once.. They aren't going to pay Fitz starter $ if he is not guaranteed to start.. Fitz will need time to catch up, physically and getting in rhythm.. We know he knows the playbook but he isn't going to just step in and be 100% right away, despite what Fitz's top fans say.. What helps Fitz is even if geno looks good to go as the starter, we still do not have a dependable #2.. Nobody wants petty being one play away from starting qb..

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

they want hack to be the starter in 2017, ideally tutored by fitz.  add this to geno probably improving to the point where with these weapons he can do what fitz can do - both good and bad - and you have a rather low qb contract offer and an odd stalemate.

As we both know, Hack panning out is far from a given. I'm sure they think/hope there's a good chance but there's an degree of admitted risk by FO. It's different when you draft a QB in the first. It says "hey, this is our guy. We know he can do it..."  vs taking one the 2nd or later rounds, which is more of a "We hope he can be the guy".

I guess what I meant is that thus far, Macc is either very selective/picky about who he's willing to pin himself to as the future franchise OR he's waiting for the perfect situation to fall in his lap... I hope it's not the latter. 

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Macc's already done this months ago.  It was his final offer.  He's not a fan who just says give him one more final offer.  There's no bullshlt other than the bullshlt fans who want Fitz are throwing out in hopes of signing their guy.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

As we both know, Hack panning out is far from a given. I'm sure they think/hope there's a good chance but there's an degree of admitted risk by FO. It's different when you draft a QB in the first. It says "hey, this is our guy. We know he can do it..."  vs taking one the 2nd or later rounds, which is more of a "We hope he can be the guy".

I guess what I meant is that thus far, Macc is either very selective/picky about who he's willing to pin himself to as the future franchise OR he's waiting for the perfect situation to fall in his lap... I hope it's not the latter. 

And yet by far the overwhelming number of QBs taken, even with the first 5 spots in the draft fail miserably.  

Unfortunately there are no givens, no way of knowing if the guy you love develops and the pick pans out.  Whatever the round he's taken

7 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

This "see how Smith does" in the first game is bs.  Teams only play vanilla on both sides, and so exactly what do we expect to see from him?  THat he doesn't take a poop at midfield?  Smith's problems have always in been in games that count.

It makes no sense to gamble the whole season on a quarter or so of play in a pre-season game.

I agree the preseason games themselves probably won't make the decision either way. However I do feel the practice time and prep work for those games will be a bigger telltale sign. If the CS is happy with Geno's mental/on practice field prep work for those games it may give them more confidence in him starting the season as QB.

The Jets have allowed this situation to fester for far too long.  A player of Fitzpatrick's caliber is simply not worth all of the uncertainty and drama that is currently plaguing this team.

It's time to move on and see what the three young quarterbacks can do with a good supporting cast around them.  I hope Geno runs with this opportunity and never looks back.  Personally, I think he'll be just fine.

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And yet by far the overwhelming number of QBs taken, even with the first 5 spots in the draft fail miserably.  

Unfortunately there are no givens, no way of knowing if the guy you love develops and the pick pans out.  Whatever the round he's taken

i don't know what you're trying to say here other than drafting (at any position) has a bust rate no matter what round/pick..

which of course is true... but not in the way you're trying to portray. 

Fact; A significant number of QBs drafted in round 1 don't pan out. True. 

Fact; the majority of successful QBs in the league are taken in the first round. true. 

The mannings, rivers, Staffords, Newtons, Winstons are the league standard. Not the Wilsons and Bradys. The chance of hitting on a perenial winner at QB drops dramatically after the 1st round. End of story. 

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Macc's already done this months ago.  It was his final offer.  He's not a fan who just says give him one more final offer.  There's no bullshlt other than the bullshlt fans who want Fitz are throwing out in hopes of signing their guy.

except for the "bullsh*t" that came out of maccagnans own mouth after the contract was on the table. which tells me that its not a "take it or leave it deal"

12 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The Jets have allowed this situation to fester for far too long.  A player of Fitzpatrick's caliber is simply not worth all of the uncertainty and drama that is currently plaguing this team.

It's time to move on and see what the three young quarterbacks can do with a good supporting cast around them.  I hope Geno runs with this opportunity and never looks back.  Personally, I think he'll be just fine.

Jets may go after nick foles for vet backup depth.. Petty is still a rookie in everyone's mind and they don't want him as the # 2 yet.. When they drafted him they knew he was going to be a longer project than traditional rookies.. Need a capable #2. Look at past few yrs, geno out significant time before season even started, Sanchez also , and Fitz got lucky he didn't hurt his throwing hand last yr.. 

It doesn't sit well with me knowing Fitz is going to be home on his couch while his teammates again are busting their A's in the summer heat.. Fitz is probably buddies again with Marshall now so he can be his insider about how geno is being perceived. Hoping they don't support him, so he gains leverage on jets.. It doesn't sit well with me knowing he is going to be rooting for the jets to do bad in camp, so he can get his $$ and ride into town like a savior.. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Macc has done pretty much everything well but a move like not signing Fitz over what amounts to a few million bucks would turn all that around very quickly if the Jets sh*t the bed with Geno at the helm.

The question will then be... Should Macc have signed Fitz ??  So many including the players, the media, and the fans want this deal done or say this deal should be done. While a move like this wont get Macc fired it will certainly take him down a few notches and put him on the hot seat for the next season.  If his draft prospect Hackenberg sh*ts the bed that's when you start looking at Macc as an owner and think... Did this guy just screw up our window ? Because at that time all those 30+ year old signings will be heading out the door and that's a fairly large group of players.

IMO Macc will get this done there is no chance he puts all his hard work on Geno's shoulders. The players know this team can win now and some of the older ones never had a shot at a SB this may be their last chance think they trust Geno ? Of course they don't or they would not be all over the damn media calling for Fitz to get signed.

Archived