The NY Jets staff hate Geno Smith

johnnyjet

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Certainly.And the kettle of fish that hasn't been opened because Geno busted a

t the same moment Fitzpatrick ascended is this:

Would we be better off if Mark Sanchez were still around and we got to see him with all the skill players we have currently assembled?

Because unlike Geno and Fitzpatrick who both couldn't cut it as NFL starters, Sanchez had an unbelievable first two seasons and proved himself to be a clutch performer in the postseason.

When Rex scapegoated Mark I said that one day it would come back to haunt us, how we ruined and failed to support a player who had all the early hallmarks of a franchise quarterback.  If Fitz has another bad game or two, that hen is coming home to roost.

SAR I

how did that work for him in Denver? :mellow:

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

geno-smith-khalil-mack-nfl-new-york-jets

Quarterback rating?  LOL.  Okay, want to get to metrics to trick yourself into failing the eye test?

Pull Geno's quarterback rating before the Raiders had the game won in the 3rd quarter at 28-6 and let a prevent defense give Geno all the short stuff he wanted.  Show me the QBR when the game was still on the line.

SAR I

Ok.

You said Geno played worse than Fitzpatrick, I researched and provided stats which indicated otherwise.  So if you want to dispute it, compile those non garbage time stats and post them here.  Prove the QBR was lower when the game was on the line and then out of sight.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

a fair appraisal of the options available both the 15 off season and this year's would leave some room for conjecture that the FO might have done better, as I thought they MIGHT have, than Fizpatrick, but at the same time they did not have a lot of options.  Assuming Winston and Mariota were out of reach, who should the Jets have gotten in the draft?  Same for Goff and Wentz this year, with Lynch still a big question mark.  That leaves a trade or FA as options, and the choices were all of a relative assessment of the problematic.

There wasn't a whole lot they could do, as the options were thin.  Sam Bradford was the "best" option and I don't have much faith in him.  RG3 was an option but that ended badly and I don't think Osweiller is worth the money.  

I've said all along, I would go for the high risk/ high reward player because I don't want to get stuck in the middle constantly.  Either we find our guy or we suck enough to pick high enough for a talented guy.

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

There wasn't a whole lot they could do, as the options were thin.  Sam Bradford was the "best" option and I don't have much faith in him.  RG3 was an option but that ended badly and I don't think Osweiller is worth the money.  

I've said all along, I would go for the high risk/ high reward player because I don't want to get stuck in the middle constantly.  Either we find our guy or we suck enough to pick high enough for a talented guy.

We settled for the last man standing and fans are supposed to believe this organization is serious about winning a championship. 

22 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I feel like I'm on an island,... I liked Richard Todd. I was in high school and loved Todd to Wesley Walker.  Touch down!!!!!!

Obrian to toon and Walker was amazing as well.

I still think back on those teams and wonder how they choked so bad at times

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

It's not about the money, its silly to even think this way.  If anything, the money only proves how desperate the Jets were to avoid Geno Smith as their starting quarterback.  Geno is the reason Fitzpatrick is overpaid. 

Again, everything connected to the pain we feel at the quarterback position and in our secondary is Geno Smith's fault because he was drafted to be our franchise quarterback and he busted.  His appearance on our roster:

1. Forced us to stop investing in Mark Sanchez.
2. Cost us Rex Ryan.
3. Cost us a 4-12 season.
4. Forced us to re-sign Darrelle Revis for foolish money.
5. Forced us to reinvest in the QB spot with Petty.
6. Forced us to reinvest in the QB spot with Hackenberg.
7. As a result of 4 and 5 forced us to not invest in CB or LB.
8. Forced us to overpay for a journeyman QB.

Geno Smith is the root of all the pain we are feeling today.  If he doesn't bust, if he's even just above-average, we have a better/faster defense, we have more cap room for skill players, old guys like Harris and Revis aren't needed, and Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing in the CFL.

SAR I

I don't mind an argument that looks for the root of the cause.  Problem with that though is figuring out where the root begins.

If you're blaming Geno, I'm blaming Idzik and a lack of an NFL team around Geno.

This team could very easily be 2-1 right now with Geno under Center.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I don't mind an argument that looks for the root of the cause.  Problem with that though is figuring out where the root begins.

If you're blaming Geno, I'm blaming Idzik and a lack of an NFL team around Geno.

If you're going for entertainment value for the rest of us, please blame Sanchez for drafting Geno in the first place and keep on it. I'll bump up your rep. I have that power.

There is no logical argument to favor Smith over Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

Well actually there is. Both QB's suck, let's be clear about that. One of the cost us 2m against the cap this year regardless, and nothing next year. The other cost us 12m this year, which could've otherwise been zero, plus a fair amount of dead money next year.

It's like having a sh*tty unreliable car in your driveway that you've already paid for, and going out and paying a boatload of money for an even older sh*tty unreliable car. Bold leadership recognizes that even though it would be tough to sell to the masses, not signing Fitz was the right move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Don't be so pessimistic.  3-0 easy.  

Too bad Bowles, Chan and Mac are so dumb, amirite?

5 hours ago, win4ever said:

So, Geno's fault is not influencing the GM in not picking up a better replacement?  

Can't argue there I guess.  He should have been yelling at Mac to trade for Luck, but the guy just stayed quiet.  

Geno's fault is not working hard enough to fulfill his destiny as a franchise-calibur starting quarterback.

SAR I

3 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

how did that work for him in Denver?

He hasn't been the same since the devastating shoulder injury, that and he's taken too many hits to the confidence.  Can't judge Sanchez 2016 as what Sanchez 2013 might have been.  Water under the bridge at this point, but I laugh every time I read someone say that Geno was robbed of support and a good set of receivers.  When you look at what Rex Ryan put Mark Sanchez through, doesn't even compare.

SAR I

3 hours ago, win4ever said:

Ok.

You said Geno played worse than Fitzpatrick, I researched and provided stats which indicated otherwise.  So if you want to dispute it, compile those non garbage time stats and post them here.  Prove the QBR was lower when the game was on the line and then out of sight.

I don't have to.  I'm very wealthy and I don't need to win internet battles to make me feel successful.

SAR I

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We settled for the last man standing and fans are supposed to believe this organization is serious about winning a championship. 

We are serious about winning a Championship.  It's why we're committed to a 4-year rebuild.  As a reminder, we are in Year 2 Month 1.

"Serious" is a long-term plan driven by smart people.  "Rushed" is what we've been doing since 1980 and it doesn't work.  Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't the answer; he's an important part of the transition, a bridge to Petty/Hack that allows us to jump over Sucko McSucks.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

How can you say that looking at the post-jaw datapoints?

1. Unprepared Oakland game where he couldn't get our 11th win and put us in the playoffs.
2. Week-over-week unable to win starting job back from Ryan Fitzpatrick.
3. Leadership and dedication so bad that the Jets burn a second round pick on Hack.
4. Offseason so bad that Jets management begged an expensive journeyman to return.
5. Preseason so bad that Petty got important reps ahead of him.
6. September so bad that his HC stuck with a guy imploding with 6 INT's.

I truly don't know what Geno Smith you all are referring to, perhaps it's the one who went 8-8, but it can't be the one who went 4-12, it can't be the one taking the dick pics.  I think you guys have a fantasy about what Geno Smith never was.  2-1 with Geno Smith?  We'd be 0-3 and Bryce Petty would be getting his first start.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Well actually there is. Both QB's suck, let's be clear about that. One of the cost us 2m against the cap this year regardless, and nothing next year. The other cost us 12m this year, which could've otherwise been zero, plus a fair amount of dead money next year.

It's like having a sh*tty unreliable car in your driveway that you've already paid for, and going out and paying a boatload of money for an even older sh*tty unreliable car. Bold leadership recognizes that even though it would be tough to sell to the masses, not signing Fitz was the right move.

The 10 wins last year led the Jets FO and many fans to think that if things broke correctly this year we could get 10 wins again which would be a wonderful experience for the young kids on this rebuilding roster.  A culture of winning begets future generations of winners.  It was worth the try, if we opened 2-0 we might have had a shot. 

It feels like Bryce Petty isn't quite ready, and with Geno Smith useless and relegated to an emergency quarterback it makes sense to sign a journeyman who is comfortable in our system and had some success as 1) an early season starter, 2) a backup behind Petty if it comes to it, 3) a mentor to Hackenberg, and 4) a guy who won't pout and will accept a demotion if that happens.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The 10 wins last year led the Jets FO and many fans to think that if things broke correctly this year we could get 10 wins again which would be a wonderful experience for the young kids on this rebuilding roster.  A culture of winning begets future generations of winners.  It was worth the try, if we opened 2-0 we might have had a shot. 

It feels like Bryce Petty isn't quite ready, and with Geno Smith useless and relegated to an emergency quarterback it makes sense to sign a journeyman who is comfortable in our system and had some success as 1) an early season starter, 2) a backup behind Petty if it comes to it, 3) a mentor to Hackenberg, and 4) a guy who won't pout and will accept a demotion if that happens.

SAR I

Cool theory.

I suppose that's why they left him dangling for anyone to sign until 10 minutes before training camp started.

You want to blame Maccagnan for spending money at QB?  I was saying they should sign him middle of last season for $8M per and not go over $10M.  OTOH, I don't think we can blame him for... completely whiffing at WR in possibly the most stacked WR draft in history?  That caused them to spend on $9.5M on Marshall at $8M on Decker.  Blowing a 1st on Milliner + a 3rd on  McDougle + completely whiffing in free agency and wasting money on   Dimitri Patterson (they could have gotten better corner play from Demetri Martin) caused them to spend and spend on Revis, Skrine, Cro last year and Gilchrist.  That 2014 season had plenty of fallout. Overspending for a borderline starting QB is probably the least of it.

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Bowles and staff view Fitzpatrick a hair better than geno.. That is why they treated fitz like garbage all offseason, allowing him to run to another team if he wanted.. Geno does has a better arm..So it's not far fetch to think he can come in and easily play above the bar fitz has set.. fitz will get another few shots before they make the change..

59 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't have to.  I'm very wealthy and I don't need to win internet battles to make me feel successful.

SAR I

If you can't do it, that's perfectly fine.  

Maybe you could use the vast wealth and get someone to do it for you, but what's the fun in that, right?

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Cool theory.

I suppose that's why they left him dangling for anyone to sign until 10 minutes before training camp started.

Yes.  They wanted to give Geno Smith every minute possible to convince them that he was the franchise quarterback they expected to be.

And, of course, he failed.  Busts do that.

SAR I

24 minutes ago, win4ever said:

If you can't do it, that's perfectly fine.  

Maybe you could use the vast wealth and get someone to do it for you, but what's the fun in that, right?

Good idea.  You do it for me.  You're the one asking the question.  My eye test clearly shows there is no way Geno Smith had a good QBR when the score was 28-6.  But go ahead, prove me wrong.

SAR I

41 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Bowles and staff view Fitzpatrick a hair better than geno.. That is why they treated fitz like garbage all offseason, allowing him to run to another team if he wanted.. Geno does has a better arm..So it's not far fetch to think he can come in and easily play above the bar fitz has set.. fitz will get another few shots before they make the change..

The Jets and Fitzpatrick were negotiating, what's said in public and what creates public perception is designed to win a negotiation, not to reflect the truth.  And when both sides want the same thing, well, it's just a matter of time before one blinks.  In this case, the Jets blinked once they saw how bad Geno was.

When a change is made, and I believe it will be when we're 1-6 or 2-5, it will be Bryce Petty that gets the call with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the backup.  Geno Smith will not touch the ball again barring injury before Petty can return and get some reps towards 2017.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

How can you say that looking at the post-jaw datapoints?

1. Unprepared Oakland game where he couldn't get our 11th win and put us in the playoffs.
2. Week-over-week unable to win starting job back from Ryan Fitzpatrick.
3. Leadership and dedication so bad that the Jets burn a second round pick on Hack.
4. Offseason so bad that Jets management begged an expensive journeyman to return.
5. Preseason so bad that Petty got important reps ahead of him.
6. September so bad that his HC stuck with a guy imploding with 6 INT's.

I truly don't know what Geno Smith you all are referring to, perhaps it's the one who went 8-8, but it can't be the one who went 4-12, it can't be the one taking the dick pics.  I think you guys have a fantasy about what Geno Smith never was.  2-1 with Geno Smith?  We'd be 0-3 and Bryce Petty would be getting his first start.

SAR I

Imo, 0-3 with Geno/Petty is better than 1-2 with Fitz.

But yeah, I am thinking of the 8-8 Geno.  Heck even the 4-12 Geno when you factor in the disgraceful team around him.

1. Unprepared Oakland game where he couldn't get our 11th win and put us in the playoffs.  The guy had no prep and still looked decent vs a good team.
2. Week-over-week unable to win starting job back from Ryan Fitzpatrick.  I don't believe for a second he was ever really considered for it.  Geno must've gotten one of Todd's daughters pregnant or something.
3. Leadership and dedication so bad that the Jets burn a second round pick on Hack.  He's young and immature, yes.  Can be fixed.
4. Offseason so bad that Jets management begged an expensive journeyman to return.  From all reports, he didn't have a bad offseason.
5. Preseason so bad that Petty got important reps ahead of him.  Petty is their guy.
6. September so bad that his HC stuck with a guy imploding with 6 INT's.  Only thing I can guess at this point is Geno finally erupted on Bowles privately (no gay stuff).  I can't blame him.  If some coach was ruining my career for a player like Fitz, I'd flip the #$%^ out too.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  They wanted to give Geno Smith every minute possible to convince them that he was the franchise quarterback they expected to be.

And, of course, he failed.  Busts do that.

SAR I

Yes, of course.

For a second I forgot that most teams decisions on who is starting during mini-camp.

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Good idea.  You do it for me.  You're the one asking the question.  My eye test clearly shows there is no way Geno Smith had a good QBR when the score was 28-6.  But go ahead, prove me wrong.

SAR I

I already proved you wrong.  

You said, my line of thinking was wrong, and so far you haven't done anything at all to counter, even admitting it.  So I'll wait until you get someone to help you get evidence.  

14 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

6. September so bad that his HC stuck with a guy imploding with 6 INT's.  Only thing I can guess at this point is Geno finally erupted on Bowles privately (no gay stuff).  I can't blame him.  If some coach was ruining my career for a player like Fitz, I'd flip the #$%^ out too.

Bowles is "ruining Geno's career"?

Maybe I gave you that "being right" cookie too soon, cause that claim is borderline metal retardation.

Archived