Bowles is the biggest part of the problem, not the solution.

DonCorleone

Todd Bowles not concerned with Jets' tardiness: 'Sometimes you're late to work'

Jets host Bills final game of 2016 season
New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles on the sideline as the Jets beat the Bills, 30-10, in the final game of the 2016 season. 1/1/17 (Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on March 29, 2017 at 10:45 AM, updated March 29, 2017 at 10:46 AM

PHOENIX -- The Jets were a mess in 2016. There's no other way to put. But it wasn't just on the field where they had their struggles. Off it, things were just as ugly. 

Among the many, many issues -- locker room turmoil, drama, lack-of leadership -- the Jets dealt with a perceived lack of accountability. Two of the their best players -- defensive ends Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson -- made it a habit of showing up late to meetings

Is coach Todd Bowles worried about his team's alleged issue with tardiness?

"It's part of it," Bowles said at the NFL owners meeting on Tuesday. "Sometimes you're late to work. It's life. It's not life threatening ... Sometimes your alarm clock isn't going to go off."

Bowles is a former player. He coaches his team as such. He knows things are going to come up with his guys, understands things from their point of view, as is lenient where others are overly strict. He may come from the Bill Parcells coaching tree, but he's not like the ex-Giant coach's other disciple, Tom Coughlin

Bowles will have bigger role in O in '17

Despite missing a team walkthrough before a game against the Ravens, Wilkerson wasn't docked game time another two weeks. The repeated absences and lateness eventually led to his, and Richardson's, first quarter benching in Week 9. 

"Those guys, after that, were sharp," Bowles said. "They were fine. We didn't have a problem with them after that."

ADVERTISING

Wilkerson and Richardson were two players believed to be leaders. Regular tardiness isn't the best way to lead by example. With guys like cornerback Darrelle Revis, receiver Brandon Marshall and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick now gone, the Jets are running a bit low on guys others can follow. 

There's defensive end Leonard Williams, but he's overshadowed in a meeting room with Wilkerson and Richardson. There's left tackle Kelvin Beachum and quarterback Josh McCown, but they were just signed. Receiver Robby Anderson is heading into just his second year. 

Bowles: #1 QB going into spring is ...

Still, Bowles believes it will work itself out. 

"I think a bunch [of younger guys] have the leadership qualities," Bowles said. "It's just about saying it at the right time. You can't force a leader. You can train them, some of them are naturally gifted, but you step up as you see fit. 

"We have about 15 of them that I'm pretty sure can lead." 

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that was just an awful answer to that question.  It may ultimately have nothing to do with how he disciplines his players but the optics are just horrible...feeds right into the "sh*t is out of control" narrative.  He has to be better about perception.

20 minutes ago, smaxor5 said:

Yeah that was just an awful answer to that question.  It may ultimately have nothing to do with how he disciplines his players but the optics are just horrible...feeds right into the "sh*t is out of control" narrative.  He has to be better about perception.

Agreed.

21 minutes ago, smaxor5 said:

It goes to our MORON owner.  A real businessman would figure out Bowles is an empty skulled nitwit.

Yet Woody hired him.  Another DC who fooled our Owner.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

It goes to our MORON owner.  A real businessman would figure out Bowles is an empty skulled nitwit.

Yet Woody hired him.  Another DC who fooled our Owner.

The reason you get stuck with a Bowles and Idzik and Maccagnan and Rex is because no one with options wants to work here because the owner is an idiot.

Leon Hess was the problem

Walt Michaels was the problem

Coslett was the Problem

Parcells was the savior

Woody Johnson is the problem

Herm was the problem

Some where along the way, every GM, or HC and even some execs was the problem. Would anyone care to believe what hasn't change in all this .  Fans calling for change and making threats if their demands aren't met . Planes flying over the practice fields with messages, billboards and the filling of the airways with their anger . 40 years, and the only constant is the misery of the fans and change .   

What's the definition of insanity again ?

You simply cannot have a coach and GM on equal footing unless the coach has won the big one in the past.  Like Idzik Mac is saddle iwth a guy who is not 'his guy' and like Idzik, Rex had an 8-8 year that made it tough to get rid of him.

Bowles thinks he is being a tough coach but also a players coach by deflecting stuff away from some players but in reality it seems these guys are walking all over him.

He is also either dumb and naive or a bad liar, I don't think he is that dumb but he is a bad liar.  Saying after a couple of our worst games last year that the effort was there but not the execution and seeing highlights of players out right loafing makes him look like he has no idea what he is talking about.

13 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Coslett was the Problem

Parcells was the savior

Herm was the problem

Some where along the way, every GM, or HC and even some execs was the problem. Would anyone care to believe what hasn't change in all this .  Fans calling for change and making threats if their demands aren't met . Planes flying over the practice fields with messages, billboards and the filling of the airways with their anger . 40 years, and the only constant is the misery of the fans and change .   

Wait wait wait, Bill Parcells was the savior? 

The problem essentially comes back to this. Rookie head coaches in New York are usually not a good idea, in any sport. Even the Giants have had problems with this. Bill Parcells was on the chopping block after his first couple of years with the Giants.

Being a rookie head coach requires patience for learning and New York sports culture doesn't allow that patience

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The reason it fits in this situation is that you have an owner who listens too much to the fanbase and at some points acquiesces to placate them

It is the synergy of idiocy. 

He's not listening to me and not placating me.  I also think this whole he is dong stuff to please the an base is bullsh*t.  He's doing what he thinks is right to bring a winning team, he is just going about it the wrong way.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The reason it fits in this situation is that you have an owner who listens too much to the fanbase and at some points acquiesces to placate them

It is the synergy of idiocy. 

I'm going to punch you in the face and blame the Jets and this will be synergy.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem essentially comes back to this. Rookie head coaches in New York are usually not a good idea, in any sport. Even the Giants have had problems with this. Bill Parcells was on the chopping block after his first couple of years with the Giants.

Being a rookie head coach requires patience for learning and New York sports culture doesn't allow that patience

I wonder why we never hire a guy with experience

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Biggest mistake was not going with Marrone. It seemed like they had him in their pocket, and now he and Coughlin will do big things in Jacksonville. Just watch

And why didn't they go with him? Because a pissy hack reporter wrote a vengeful article that got people worried and thus worried the owner. 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Biggest mistake was not going with Marrone. It seemed like they had him in their pocket, and now he and Coughlin will do big things in Jacksonville. Just watch

Agreed. I have no idea if he would have built a winner here, but at least we know he wouldn't have sh*t the bed the way Bowles has. Given his reaction to the Watkins trade, maybe he could have talked Maccagnan's big stupid ass out of some of those pick-for-veteran swaps too.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed. I have no idea if he would have built a winner here, but at least we know he wouldn't have sh*t the bed the way Bowles has. Given his reaction to the Watkins trade, maybe he could have talked Maccagnan's big stupid ass out of some of those pick-for-veteran swaps too.

I assume you mean in the locker room because his record after 2 years is about .500. And that doesn't really scream "sh*tting the bed"

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Coslett was the Problem

Parcells was the savior

Herm was the problem

On some level, expectations are a problem.

Why does anyone believe that this team is just a coach or a draft pick away from greatness? 

Maybe because it's like the only shred of hope that logically results in a championship. But it's a thin damn shred you guys. 

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

A delusion that fans are the reason the team sucks?

By itself, yes, that could be insanity, but a lynch mob is started by 1 big mouth, that convinces weak people to join him and in the end, someone usually end up hung  .  I know who the victim is,  so who are you in the mob ?

The mob is forming, the prisoner is in Jail and guess what, the lawman is heading out of town .

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Coslett was the Problem

Parcells was the savior

Herm was the problem

Fans are why Bowles stinks??

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not sure.  Maybe you would celebrate if he was actually .500 and not just "almost" .500.

If you read what I said, I'm looking at the definition of "sh*tting the bed". Almost .500 is not sh*tting the bed record-wise. 

sh*tting the bed is crap. Almost .500 is mediocre. Unlike a lot of people here, mediocrity doesn't really scare me because most of the time, the Super Bowl is won by a mediocre team that gets hot and lucky. I don't think last year's Pats team was great, compared to other Pats teams, personnel -wise. But they got hot and they got lucky.

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

By itself, yes, that could be insanity, but a lynch mob is started by 1 big mouth, that convinces weak people to join him and in the end, someone usually end up hung  .  I know who the victim is,  so who are you in the mob ?

The mob is forming, the prisoner is in Jail and guess what, the lawman is heading out of town .

Ok, so, the definition of insanity is probably this post.

Archived