Enunwa Injury a Reminder That Jets Shouldn’t Have Dumped Decker

JetNation

IMG_3525.jpg

Jets fans at MetLife Stadium sat and looked on in fear last night, as the team’s number one wide receiver, Quincy Enunwa lay motionless on the turf just moments after what appeared to be just another incomplete pass.  That is, until Enunwa fell forward, landing on his face, appeared to be unable to get up.  Team trainers rushed to Enunwa’s side and spoke to him for what seemed like forever, but was realistically a few minutes.

Eventually, Enunwa would rise to a kneeling position before then standing up and slowly walking off to a cheering MetLife Stadium, back to the trainers room under his own power.

IMG_4717-300x170.jpg

Team trainers attend to a laid out Quincy Enunwa.

As Enunwa walked off, there was a sense of relief, but the realization that an injury to their number one receiver would mean that any potential growth for the team’s signal callers could be stunted even further as the depleted receiving corps would be without their most experienced pass catcher, thanks to the off-season purge that saw the team cut ties with Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

While Marshall requested his release from the Jets, it was cutting Decker that made little sense at the time, and makes even less sense now as the team waits to get a full report on Enunwa’s injury.  As of last night, it was said to be a recurring neck injury that slowed him earlier this off-season.

Decker’s 2017 salary cost wasn’t prohibitive as the Jets currently sits at $20 million under the cap.

IMG_3699-300x207.jpg

The Jets said goodbye to Eric Decker late in the offseason.

The team was looking to develop a pair of young quarterbacks in Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty and Decker had produced on multiple occasions with far less than ideal situations at quarterback (Tim Tebow, Geno Smith).  In addition, his precise route running and ability to get open on quick slants and in routes would have been ideal for John Morton’s west coast offense.

Once Decker was out of the picture, Enunwa was vaulted to the top of the Jets receiving corps in terms of career receptions with 80. Currently the Jets have Marquess Wilson and Robby Anderson, who have just 56 and 42 grabs respectively as the second and third leading receivers for their careers.  Decker has 385 catches in his seven seasons.

Expectations are low among Jets fans this season, but the one hope for many, was that the young quarterbacks would learn and grow.  With no Decker, and Enunwa possibly out for an extended period of time, that growth may have just gotten a whole lot tougher.

Thoughts on this article or any other Jets topics?  Click here to log on and join the discussions in our forums at JetNation.com.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
xJTxg_mGxlY

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, T0mShane said:

Alt headline: the Jets have no capacity for drafting skill position players and are doomed to a life of begging free agents to play here

With the first pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the New York Jets select....Defensive Tackle......

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Alt headline: the Jets have no capacity for drafting skill position players and are doomed to a life of begging free agents to play here

As long as the next 3 HC's are all DC's with no care about the offense, I'm good.

14 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

So Enunwa isn't a "professional" receiver?

why everyone thinks That Enunwa's season is already  over is comical.

I was totally on board with everyone who said the tank wasn't on until they cut Decker.  Enunwa is an up and coming receiver, but nowhere near as polished or accomplished as Decker.  

I haven't heard anyone say Q's season is over, but the possibility of him even missing time is a reminder that while there is a ton of potential on this team at receiver, there's really nobody to look to and say "At least we know _______ can help bring these QB's along".

Just now, AFJF said:

I was totally on board with everyone who said the tank wasn't on until they cut Decker.  Enunwa is an up and coming receiver, but nowhere near as polished or accomplished as Decker.  

I haven't heard anyone say Q's season is over, but the possibility of him even missing time is a reminder that while there is a ton of potential on this team at receiver, there's really nobody to look to and say "At least we know _______ can help bring these QB's along".

This. At some point this season, Hackenberg is going to get a shot at the starting job. Would be nice for him to have a guy who runs great routes and catches everything.

all these people freaking out about Q must have missed the memo. I'll catch you up: the 2017 Jets team has zero hope. If they win 1 damn game it will be a miracle. Don't cry like it's 1999 and Enunwa is Vinny. This team is going nowhere, regardless of who gets hurt.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

all these people freaking out about Q must have missed the memo. I'll catch you up: the 2017 Jets team has zero hope. If they win 1 damn game it will be a miracle. Don't cry like it's 1999 and Enunwa is Vinny. This team is going nowhere, regardless of who gets hurt.

I disagree bit.  You're right in that here's no hope in terms of wins and losses, but the hope was to develop a young QB.  Better receivers means more open receivers, extended drives, more reps, more growth.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I disagree bit.  You're right in that here's no hope in terms of wins and losses, but the hope was to develop a young QB.  Better receivers means more open receivers, extended drives, more reps, more growth.

you mean that POS who can't get past Josh McCown on the depth chart? 

You can't develop Hack anymore than a Chef can turn spoiled ingredients into a feast. The dude was ruined when he got here. 

I'll say it again, no hope. The young QB they should be developing is in Houston.

No issue with dropping Decker. It's a rebuilding year and a year to let the young leaders like Williams, Adams and Q take over.. If Decker was still around he'd steal valuable reps from the kids. If Q is out for a long time it's a big problem but this is still a very talented young wr group. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No issue with dropping Decker. It's a rebuilding year and a year to let the young leaders like Williams, Adams and Q take over.. If Decker was still around he'd steal valuable reps from the kids. If Q is out for a long time it's a big problem but this is still a very talented young wr group. 

So its ok for McCown to be stealing reps from the kids? 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

you mean that POS who can't get past Josh McCown on the depth chart? 

You can't develop Hack anymore than a Chef can turn spoiled ingredients into a feast. The dude was ruined when he got here. 

I'll say it again, no hope. The young QB they should be developing is in Houston.

I don't disagree with any of this, but what did cutting Decker gain us? (Or, to out it another way, how does cutting Decker make the Jets better?) He's cheap and productive. If we got even a late-round pick for him, I'd be all for it, but the way it went down makes no sense.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

So its ok for McCown to be stealing reps from the kids? 

You can gamble with young wrs, especially when Anderson, Q and even Marshall have shown the ability to play relatively OK in the NFL. It's entirely different to gamble with guys like Hack and Petty. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You can gamble with young wrs, especially when Anderson, Q and even Marshall have shown the ability to play relatively OK in the NFL. It's entirely different to gamble with guys like Hack and Petty. 

Disagree McCown is 18-42 and an NFL starter nothing he has ever done in the NFL equals success, this organization continues to do the same thing year after year with different faces and the same results. 

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I don't disagree with any of this, but what did cutting Decker gain us? (Or, to out it another way, how does cutting Decker make the Jets better?) He's cheap and productive. If we got even a late-round pick for him, I'd be all for it, but the way it went down makes no sense.

Decker has been injured a ton and he's at that point in his career when he surely will be injured again.   he's not productive spending half the year on the training table. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

here's an idea: everyone who plays, regardless of position, should earn that spot. If Hack isn't playing it's because he's not better than McCown. The guy took 3 sacks in the Green and White and only had like 5 passes. Let's be real. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree on this, but what was Plan B?  

Move to the UK and watch soccer? Oh sorry that's Woody's plan B.

My plan B is to go to Vegas and put 200 dollars on the season total under 4.5 wins. And if somehow that bet loses, I bought the extra wins. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Move to the UK and watch soccer? Oh sorry that's Woody's plan B.

My plan B is to go to Vegas and put 200 dollars on the season total under 4.5 wins. And if somehow that bet loses, I bought the extra wins. 

There's always next year here is getting old..........

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Decker has been injured a ton and he's at that point in his career when he surely will be injured again.   he's not productive spending half the year on the training table. 

I guess. His contract is affordable (and we have the money anyway), so I would have kept him or held out for a draft pick, but I agree that with our QB room, it doesn't really matter either way.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

here's an idea: everyone who plays, regardless of position, should earn that spot. If Hack isn't playing it's because he's not better than McCown. The guy took 3 sacks in the Green and White and only had like 5 passes. Let's be real. 

Now you're talking. It's good to get the bolded part on the record now, because once McCown gets named ths starter, there'll be hot excuses a-flyin'. If we're handicapping them, I'd go with, im descending order of volume:

1. Hack just needs more time

2. Bowles is an idiot, Macccagnan should get to pick his own coach

3. How can he succeed with these weapons? (with this thread getting necro'd)

Just now, dbatesman said:

Now you're talking. It's good to get the bolded part on the record now, because once McCown gets named ths starter, there'll be hot excuses a-flyin'. If we're handicapping them, I'd go with, im descending order of volume:

1. Hack just needs more time

2. Bowles is an idiot, Macccagnan should get to pick his own coach

3. How can he succeed with these weapons? (with this thread getting necro'd)

I think too many people (including myself) are putting too much emphasis on whether hackenberg outplays Mccown from the start of training camp.  Mccown has been in the same offense for years.  Hack is learning his 3rd offense in 3 years.  Mccown should look better right now.  That doesn't mean he'll look better by the time the season starts, or by November.  Hack's learning curve will be much steeper, and it doesn't help that his o-line sucks and the WRs suck too.  

Truth, i don't know how you can really evaluate hackenberg with the crap around him.  At least Mccown knows the offense cold and can help the guys who don't.  Hack can't rely on any other offensive player to help him - no WRs running crisp routes, no mangold to help call out protection schemes.  Everyone is learning a new offense at the same time, of course it's going to be ugly for the qbs.  It's not like Mccown is performing much better than the other qbs anyway.  He's still limited by the crappy line and inexperienced WRs.  

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If he was legit he'd make the players around him better. That's what FQbs do. 

In concept, true.  Mccown should be making the players around him better since he knows what to do.  Hack and petty should look way worse right now, but they don't.  The overall state of the offense is what it is because of a decade of poor drafting, bad spending and overall neglect, and that's before you even consider the qb situation.  While Adams and maye seem good and may wind up great, it's still an offense first league and at some point the concept of drafting Williams and Adams over offensive talent because their board is rated a certain way will not work, offensive talent needs to be considered differently in today's nfl.  Hackenberg would look better in my opinion if you had a healthy mangold/decker/Brandon Marshall, and that's not so much of a stretch.  There isn't one other player hackenberg is practicing with who understands this offense, i think it is unrealistic to expect him to look good right now on any consistent basis.  He will flash, he will hold onto the ball too long, he will throw it away.  He is being protected by scrubs and throwing to mostly scrubs.  His best friend out there is his red non-contact jersey right now.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

He's right. I'd love to see one of the "we're not tanking" schmucks explain why we dumped the only professional receiver on the roster.

Because he was overpaid and never healthy? 

And more fun to give a few more to whine about. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's still an offense first league and at some point the concept of drafting Williams and Adams over offensive talent because their board is rated a certain way will not work, offensive talent needs to be considered differently in today's nfl.   

I agree but not in the same way. Corey Davis isn't going to salvage Hackenberg. Hack is already awful. He should be battling Petty for QB3. Not McCown for QB1. I really like the Jamal Adams pick but this season would have a very different outlook if they had drafted Deshaun Watson or Pat Mahomes. 

We'd have actual hope for the future. They could lose games and a legitimate player would be developing. Instead of losing with McCown/Hack and there's no upside there. The Jets need to draft more QBs. Like Bill Walsh said every year. instead of "Developing' non-prospects like Clemens, Geno and now Hack. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Preach. All aboard the Darnold/Allen express!!

Archived