Mike Vick airing out Goodell

Matt39

“I think I can say this now, because it’s not going to hurt anybody’s feelings, and it’s the truth… I didn’t want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options.”

I thought this kind of stuff was reserved for David Stern. Apparently not.

Vick ultimately was persuaded — by Commissioner Roger Goodell and other NFL officials — to pick the Eagles. Bills and Bengals fans surely will be thrilled to know that the league office is participating in personnel decisions; they also would probably want to know why Vick was steered away from their teams. (Leitch writes that both the Bills and Bengals would have “allowed Vick to start”; it’s hard to imagine that the Bengals would have benched the guy they currently refuse to trade.)

Saw this on Mike and Mike this morning... this is actually really bad if true and could get ugly... it is made out as if the NFL FORCED him to play in Philly...

Goodell is also suspending Terrell Pryor 5 games for violating rules of the NCAA. The NCAA!

I never use this phrase but LMAO. This guy man...the NFL has completely changed.

Did you read it?

yes, here's what you posted with no link

"“I think I can say this now, because it’s not going to hurt anybody’s feelings, and it’s the truth… I didn’t want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options.”

I see now from someone elses quote what you are getting at

How come we get steered to Herm and the freakin' Eagles get Vick? How is that fair?

Yeah and they planted Brady in the 6th round for the Pats... cheaters... lol

To play devils advocate here... I would assume the NFL really did not think Vick would come back like he did... so they were using Philly as damage control assuming he would be stuck behind Mcnabb forever...

Still not right but it's not like they thought they were handing Philly a top notch starter.

Yup Goodell... influencing free agents on where to sign, burning evidence of a dynasty of cheating, watering down the game, selling the game in markets that aren't interested...

I miss Tagliabue.

There would never have been a lockout if Tags was still commish. He would had the parties negotiating 18 months ago, not waiting until the CBA to expire for the first face to face session.

Goodell is also suspending Terrell Pryor 5 games for violating rules of the NCAA. The NCAA!

I never use this phrase but LMAO. This guy man...the NFL has completely changed.

Actually, no it hasn't. The NFL has been ******* everybody for as long as it has existed. It's particularly good at ******* the players.

Yeah and they planted Brady in the 6th round for the Pats... cheaters... lol

To play devils advocate here... I would assume the NFL really did not think Vick would come back like he did... so they were using Philly as damage control assuming he would be stuck behind Mcnabb forever...

Still not right but it's not like they thought they were handing Philly a top notch starter.

Oh. Then it's perfectly fine. I mean their intentions were good. They didn't want to completely **** over teams that needed the help and by all rights should have had first crack.

That is officially way past going too freaking far. IS he going to make Reggie Bush give back the Heismann next? Make Pete Carroll make a full confession? This is crap. Pryor might be a jerk, but that's not grounds to stop him from earning a living. IF Goodell is going to enforce NCAA infractions as violations after a player joins the NFL, the Players' Association has to sue his a$$ off. Goodell has done the impossible; he has almost made a scumbag like Pryor sympathetic.

This is getting ridiculous. Thats why dishing out punishments should never be in one person's hand and without any recourse to appeal!

people get all offended like the NFL's a democracy and Vick has certain unalienable rights.

It's a monopoly, 1 entity, 32 smaller entities, they engage in price fixing, price gauging, all sorts of labor law violations and it's not a democracy.

people get all offended like the NFL's a democracy and Vick has certain unalienable rights.

It's a monopoly, 1 entity, 32 smaller entities, they engage in price fixing, price gauging, all sorts of labor law violations and it's not a democracy.

Yo Cramer, those are very good reasons to get offended. Those are very, very good reasons to get offended.

There's already 3 or 4 articles up on NFL.com defending Godell's actions. I'm sorry but if this is true it is SCANDALOUS and UNFORGIVABLE. The commissioner should NEVER do something like this, and if I was a Bills or Bengals fan I would be so freaking pissed right now.

There's already 3 or 4 articles up on NFL.com defending Godell's actions. I'm sorry but if this is true it is SCANDALOUS and UNFORGIVABLE. The commissioner should NEVER do something like this, and if I was a Bills or Bengals fan I would be so freaking pissed right now.

Before I get all worked up and emotional over a player I don't like going to play for a team I don't care about I'd like to know what, exactly, constituted Goodell "convincing" Vick to play for the Eagles.

While I do believe it is inherintly wrong for the commissioner to even express an opinion to a player where he thinks that player should play, did Goodell simply voice his opinion or did he threaten Vick with additional suspension time if he signed elsewhere?

If it is the former, it not cool, but no harm no foul. If its the latter, Goodell needs to be relieved of his duties immediately.

Before I get all worked up and emotional over a player I don't like going to play for a team I don't care about I'd like to know what, exactly, constituted Goodell "convincing" Vick to play for the Eagles.

While I do believe it is inherintly wrong for the commissioner to even express an opinion to a player where he thinks that player should play, did Goodell simply voice his opinion or did he threaten Vick with additional suspension time if he signed elsewhere?

If it is the former, it not cool, but no harm no foul. If its the latter, Goodell needs to be relieved of his duties immediately.

I envision it like this: Goodell recommends going to Philly, no matter what, Vick may take that as an "order"

There's an "easy way" or a "hard way" and Vick chose the "easy way"

I think that's an awfully big assumption.

I don't know if that's what happened, none of us do, no one has all of the facts yet.

I'm just saying: that's the nightmare scenario. You can't have the same guy whose in charge of determining whether or not a player can return dropping team names... you just can't.

I don't know if that's what happened, none of us do, no one has all of the facts yet.

I'm just saying: that's the nightmare scenario. You can't have the same guy whose in charge of determining whether or not a player can return dropping team names... you just can't.

I think the nightmare scenario is Goodell threatening to keep Vick on suspension for a whole year if he signs with someone other than the Eagles.

And like I said, if (and I think that's a huge "if") that is what happened, Goodell needs to be kicked to the curb.

I think the nightmare scenario is Goodell threatening to keep Vick on suspension for a whole year if he signs with someone other than the Eagles.

And like I said, if (and I think that's a huge "if") that is what happened, Goodell needs to be kicked to the curb.

Even if it wasn't that extreme, which I doubt it was, him getting at all involved in team by team transactions is still completely unacceptable. The guy is an absolute joke, and beyond horrible at his job. It's no coincidence he's been at center of one train wreck after another since he took over as commissioner, and despite it's popularity being at an all-time high, the NFL has never been a bigger mess than it has these past few years. When not one of the groups amongst the owners, players or fans are happy with the way things have gone in recent years, that speaks volumes.

Archived